Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi Kreleia - glad you've had time to start working on your costume again!

I've done the yarn embroidery for the circle, leaving gaps for the little shapes that go in there. I think I am going to embroidery them directly on, rather than applique them, which will be a pain in the butt!

I used fabric paint on the yarn to get the blended colors in the real thing - of course, I think my poncho wool fabric is a darker color than the real one, and my lightest color of yarn seems really light against it. I think that color just doesn't photograph well either since it looks lighter than in person. Same with my underdress.

And the gap I left between the orange/yellow circle and the blue outer circle isn't even on both sides. Sigh. I'm debating whether to fix it or not..

Here's some pics:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/blue_tatooine.shtml#latest

Maggie
  2. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Looking good Maggie!! :) Nice work! I like how you figured out the circle part. I just used my aluminum mixing bowls and my dress-marking pencil (aka, chalk) and kept drawing until it looked right. Yay for eyeballing... [face_plain] But yours is probably closer to the actual size. :D

You're also farther along than I am at this point. [face_laugh] I'm still working on the second sleeve - taking it slower this time, and I spent the weekend at the Renn Fest, and working in the yard. But it's coming!
  3. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi!

Actually, kreleia, I thought your circle looked much more uniform than mine! Though I did fix the yellow on one side of mine to make it more even, so I'm happier!

I mostly used the "blown up" version as a basis for size - I think based on measuring the circle in the small pic and padme's hand, I scaled it to my handsize. So I think my blown up circle was about 10" wide. Since it's kind of skewed and not a perfect circle, Once I had the general size I wanted it, I used various dishes and cups and things with round bases to trace on the interfacing to make round circles. Then I used the interfacing as a guide, which was pretty easy with the yarn - but is becoming less easy with the little shapes in the circle. Those are going to take me a while I think!

And I'm nervous about putting the lining in - I just have a feeling it's going to be difficult to do!

Here's the latest pic:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/18_circle1.jpg

(the colors in the pic are still not accurate to real life ! D'oh!)

:)
    Maggie
  4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Maggie & Kreleia, they're looking awesome! Wow and double wow! :D
  5. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks Obi-Dawn!

I worked on the costume last night and managed to finish the circle and all the embroidery in the circle! Thank goodness! All I've got left is the front fleur de lis by the neckline, the ribbons and beads and the lining! And have to go over the poncho with a lint brush to remove the cat hair. Sigh. :)

Here are the latest pics!

http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/20_circledone.jpg

and

http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/20_gownfront.jpg
  6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
  7. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks, Obi-Dawn!

I finally got the center fleur de lis finished and sewn on! I had to reattach it because it came out crooked the first time I sewed it on! Argh! It's still not as straight as it could be, but that's the way it's going to stay!

I went out and bought beads and ribbons and did those. They are pinned on right now - not sure how I will attach them yet.
    I also bought some 1/2" horsehair braid that is used to make hems stiffer and have more shape. I'm going to use it in the sleeves and in the bottom hem. So now all I've got left is that and the lining!

Anyone have tips on how to best put in the lining?

Here's the latest pic (the colors aren't accurate..)

http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/21_almostdone.jpg

Maggie
  8. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nice work Maggie!! :D

Sheesh! Here you are with a pic that's titled "almostdone," and I keep looking at sleeve #2 going "cool, it's almost done." [face_laugh] [face_laugh] And that's just the painting!! ACK!! I just need to add the orange to the points and the fleur-de-lis. But WOW!! You have booked on this project! WOOHOO!! Nice work! It's looking incredibly good. :D YAY!!
  9. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah - I've been working on it every spare evening I get! I wanted to be sure I had it done for Balticon in May. Plus I've got a bunch of other costumes lined up that I want to do!

Well, we'll see how the lining installation goes! It may be tricky! :)

Thanks for the compliments!

Maggie
  10. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, the lining wasn't so tricky as I feared. I decided to sew the lining together and drop it inside the poncho. I sewed the neckline, but I'm going to do the rest by hand. So I'm not done yet, but the last complicated thing I was worrying about is done!

I have a pic of my progress:

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/22_lining.jpg]

Maggie

11. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey Maggie - just checking in on your progress! It looks like you pinned in the horsehair briad to your cuffs huh? It looks like it really helps the sleeves to keep that rounded shape :) I like seeing your results, since I'll be using horsehair on the sleeves of my purple senate dress.

Good work!

-Kay Dee
  12. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Kaydee,

Yup - I did use the horsehair braid and it's really great. You're supposed to sew it to the right side and then turn it over to the wrong side, but for the cuffs, that doesn't really work, so I just basted it in my deep hem. The hand stitiching on the lining will cover my basting stiches. I'm doing the same around the whole bottom hem!

:)

Maggie
  13. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    oooooooh!! Looking goooooood!!! :D

Wish I had the time to be at home working on mine lately. :( Been helping some friends move. Seems like EVERYTHING is working to pull me away from sewing. **sigh**
  14. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks!

Yeah - I guess I was lucky in that I had a whole bunch of days off work when we had that major snowstorm in February, so I got a lot done then. Lately, I've just been working on it when I've got a spare moment. I was doing a pit orchestra for "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" and that took up some time. One thing that's helped is that my fiancee and I like to play the computer game "freeciv". Since you have to take turns at the computer, and since he takes forever, I get a lot of sewing done!

I wrestled with the lining some last night. I got the sleeves done, but I'm not happy with how the lining looks at the seam. I may have to revisit that. I also had a heck of a time trying to pin the bottom. I gave up and went to bed and I'll try again tonight. :)

I'm sure you'll get yours done, kreleia - you've got most of the hard parts done, like the big circle and most of the sleeves!

Maggie
  15. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Small update: the embroidery is done on one of the sleeves. only one sleeve to go!! I'M SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE!!! AAAACK!! :eek: :D Quick list:

--finish embroidery on other sleeve
    --trim sides of main tunic to correct shape
    --cut lining to match shape and sew together
    --sew in sleeves (might do this before sewing the sides together)
    --add ribbons to edge beneath the circle
    --sew in lining

WOOHOO!! SO CLOSE!! I can practically TASTE this! YAY!!

Maggie, I hafta know! :D Did you get the lining fixed?? I'm DYING to see pics!
  16. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Kreleia - that's great! Glad you're making progress! You don't have much more to go!!

I would definitely sew in the sleeves before sewing the sides together. Then you can sew up the sides in one nice straight line. I think it will be easier! The lining was a bear. The sleeves weren't bad, but the hem was tough. Basically, I sewed the poncho up the sides, and I did the same on the lining. Then I sewed the poncho and lining together at the neck to get a smooth seam and then insided out the lining so it was inside the poncho with the wrong side of the lining facing the wrong side of the poncho. All the seams are hidden. Then I turned over the sleeve lining edges and pinned and sewed. Not too hard.

But the bottom hem ... I ended up bringing it home when I went home for a weekend. Ironing helped a lot. I don't have room for a full sized Ironing board in my apartment, but it really was useful. We insided out the poncho so the lining was on the outside, and we pressed it so the lining fell smoothly. Then I wore it inside out, while my Mom pinned.

She suggested that I make the side seams less curved because if you look at the pics, the sides fall straight down until the bottom where it bells. So I fixed that before sewing the lining down by hand.

So...I'm done! At least done with the poncho. I hate the color my underdress shows up in pictures, though in person, it's a great color. And I'd like a flowier fabric. I have something I want to use, but it's lighter than my current underdress and in photos it looks like my lining! And in photos, my lining looks so much paler than in person too!! So I've got to dye and crinkle my underdress fabric. And I may fix the lining in the few places where I think it puckers, but for all intents and purposes, my costume is done!

There are pics and more description here:

http://www.padawansguide.com/blue_tatooine.shtml

Here are a few pics:

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/23_done1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/23_done3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/23_done4.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/myblue/23_done5.jpg]

Maggie
  17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    It's wonderful Maggie! :) You did a really great job.

Ok, kreleia, you're up next! Finish it up! :p
  18. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks Obi-Dawn! :)

I really want to do a doll version of this dress - but for that, I think I'll be using fabric paint! Plus, I think it's too soon to be redoing this dress again, even on a miniature scale!! :)

Maggie
  19. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You did an absolutely beautiful job, Maggie! It's gorgeous! :)
  20. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maggie, it's fantastic!!! :D GREAT JOB!!!

Haha!! Just noticing that you finished the embroidery on the back of the neck the same way I did. Sweet! :)

One thing's for sure, this costume has definitely been an exercise in patience and taking my time. Sheesh!! Thing is, it's been worth it. YAY!! Should have embroidery on second sleeve done at some point today. WOOHOO!!

EDIT: Is it just me, or does anyone else find that picking the "easy" costumes end up taking FAR more time, thought and patience than you ever expected? [face_laugh]
  21. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Oh, definetly. I'm not too satisfied with my dress now that I've seen your wonderful versions though.

Hopefully I will be able to post some pics of my bag that I made and the finished embroideries tomorrow. :)
  22. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I now have two more pics up in my album, one of the finished embroideries and one of a bad I made. The light in the pics are really horrible!
  23. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nice Obi Anne!! :) Did you do the embroidery by hand or machine? And good idea with the bag! That got me wondering about maybe making a small pouch that I can tie around my waist underneath the poncho. :D
  24. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I did it all by hand, I prefer working by hand with embroideries.
  25. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi everyone - thanks so much for your compliments!

Obi-Anne, your gown came great! I have pics of it on my site! I also like the pouch idea and like kreleia, it would be nice to have a pouch to carry stuff in when wearing the costume. I may try and come up with one too!

I tried dyeing my fabric last night for a new underdres - it must be polyester after all because it didn't take the dye at all! But I did soak my old underdress too and it came out a darker color, which I think will work nicely! So I may stick with it! It's still drying. I'll see what color it ends up!

Maggie
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.