main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme dies as she can't adapt

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Shaitan, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    GL says on the AOTC dvd, Padme's bedroom deleted scene - commentary, that those who can't adapt, die.

"thematic point - those who cant adapt die" GL.

Perhaps Padme can't adapt to life without Anakin and her children and so dies naturally.

2. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

Yes, she can't adapt to the Empire, and the changes in the galaxy. So she dies. I always thought that scene should have stayed in AOTC.

3. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, I agree Tion. It was a pity that it was cut out.

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I am hoping it is added in with some sorta STAR WARS: EPISODE II - ATTACK OF THE CLONES --- SPECIAL EDITION.

It would really show one of the reasons why Padme dies.

5. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    I gotta say I hated the scene. Both the Padme' parents and bedroom scene were, IMO, awful. It remined me of a daytime soap. Anakin (DARTH VADER) looking at flowers, Padme doing the washing up, dvd tv's and pictures on her bedroom wall - just not star wars for me.

However, i just think that the 'thematic' point about dying due to not being able to adapt will be a key issue in ep3. Padme dies after her world falls apart. Anakin lives because he changes/turns to dark side. Obi Wan and Yoda must adapt to new lives also.

6. Darth_Mysterious

Darth_Mysterious Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    She can't adapt to having her trachea crushed and haemorrhaging loads of blood before and after her labour.

7. DarthBauer

DarthBauer Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    Darth Mysterious- very very funny. that would take quite a bit of effort to adapt to, even the BORGwould have difficulty.

8. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    She can't adapt to having her trachea crushed and haemorrhaging loads of blood before and after her labour.

The spoiler says that Padme's organic damage has been repaired and this systemic failure cannot be explained. thus her death is due to something invisible.

Basicallys, she can't accept or adapt to her new life -without Anakin, her children or the republic. She gives up. Lets herself die. she has nothing to live for and couldn't live without her loved ones.

9. Bjorn75

Bjorn75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2001
    Exactly, Darth_Mysterious. As you so subtly put it, there are things you cannot adapt to.

There are things I cannot do
    - Queen Amidala of Naboo

I think some of the posters in this thread are barking up the wrong tree. While the theme of Ep3, and the PT in general, is very much revolving around the need to adapt to different circumstances - one could even argue it's the major theme of the whole Star Wars saga - I don't believe it should be applied to Padmé in this case.

The Jedi, and Anakin in particular, are the ones who carry the theme, who drive the point home. Padmé's job as a character isn't to show what happens when you don't adapt to the changes in the Republic. Her job is to resist the coming evil, and enable the viewer to see Anakin's flaws more clearly.

Just my 2 cents, thanks for reading. It has been a long while since I last posted :)

EDIT: Oh by the way, I agree with those who liked the AOTC cut Naboo scenes.. I thought they were lovely, and gave a sense of reality to Padmé and Anakin's relationship.

//Björn

10. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    So how and why does she die then?

11. Bjorn75

Aug 8, 2001
    Master_Shaitan,

You have a point that the spoiler may imply some sort of non-medical cause of death, but I would rather have it be 'broken heart', 'will of the force' or even 'bad karma' than a thematical point of adapting to change.

However, i just think that the 'thematic' point about dying due to not being able to adapt will be a key issue in ep3. Padme dies after her world falls apart. Anakin lives because he changes/turns to dark side. Obi Wan and Yoda must adapt to new lives also.

I'm sorry, but the message of Ep3 is the complete opposite of what you are saying:
    Padmé dies at the hands of Anakin because HE was unable to adapt to change, and let go of his greed. It's HE who dies spiritually because he was unwilling to let go, face that changes happen, mothers die, and power cannot save you. He isn't redeemed until he understands this in Ep6.

You make it sound as if Anakin did the right thing all along.

//Björn

12. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Yes, Anakin made mistakes because he couldn't adapt but come the end of the duel its his adaption to evil that keeps him alive. Come the end of ROTJ he re-adapts to the light path due to the unconditional love he has for Luke. Due to this he is able to live on by becoming one with the force - thus adapting spiritually.

Padme's death is seperate to Anakins own adaption and survival. She dies due to the changes in her life. Yes, changes brought about becuase of Anakin's actions, but still its her character that cannot adapt to her life without him or her children.

Padme can't adapt - dies
    Anakin can adapt - lives

I don't think we will ever be given a factual reason for Padme's death, nor will it be discussed deeply in ROTS, but I believe it will be clear on screen that this adaption theme will be at the core.

It sounds quite metaphorical but I think it will work very well as a strong thematic device.

13. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Death, as in life, is a huge part of the Star Wars saga.

In the PT we have people struggling against death. In TPM, Qui-Gon stays alive to tell Obi-Wan to train Anakin. In AoTC, Shmi stays alive for weeks in a Tusken camp being tortured just to get one more look at her son. In RoTS, we have Anakin trying to circumvent Padme's death by any means necessary. People can't accept death and what happens? Bad things. Death all around them.

On the other hand, in the OT, when it's their time to die, people accet it. In ANH, Obi-Wan gives himself up. In RoTJ, Yoda gives himself up. Now I know what you're thinking, "These are Jedi's who become one with the Force. The people in the PT aren't superheroes." Okay, but they must accept death to become one with the Force. Also, in ESB, Luke jumps off the ledge in Cloud City. He doesn't die, but he's accepted his own death if he jumps off a cliff. (so to speak) Finally, in the end it is Anakin who accepts his death in RoTJ, ending the reign of the Emperor.

14. Bjorn75

Aug 8, 2001
    I hear what you're saying Master_Shaitan, but I just don't see it your way. I don't think the re-aligning of your moral compass, which is basically what the Dark/Light sides are about, is the kind of adaptation George Lucas had in mind.

I do not agree that Anakin survives becuase of his adaptation to Evil. I think the spoilers are showing that Anakin turns evil long before his defeat at Kenobi's blade. At least thematically, I like to think Anakin survives because he just won't have it any other way. He's still hooked to the power-trip, the greed, the desire to live in control of his environment. It's because of his reluctance to adapt, he has to spend the rest of his life minus a minute or so in a mechanical suit, living the lie that power sets you free.

But this is all speculation of course, and I respect anyone's opinion when it's as well articulated as yours. Peace :)

//Björn

15. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Bjorn75, I see what you are saying about Anakin and perhaps you are right about it. He of course does embrace the dark side before the duel. I have just had it in mind that the darkness fully engulfs him after his defeat. Though I guess adapting to a new life is something only the Jedi can do. The Sith could never adapt due to their greed and selfishness. With Anakin he is tricked and to a certain extent is forced to join the dark side. He never makes a concious decision to turn. His actions are reckless - tusken slaughter and attacking Mace Windu are good examples of this.

However, in terms of Padme, we must find a way to explain her death if the spoiler is true and the droids were unable to understand why she died.

Many people have suggested that it was the will of the force but I dont believe that the force would interfere in such a direct way or would kill a person like Padme.

As for her life force being drained; doesn't work for me. This would be very hard to show to an audience.

The other suggestion was a broken heart. This isn't a million miles away from my theory. However, I beleive that the other circumstances - children being put into hiding and the republic crumbling, play a big part too. Its not just the fact that she can't adapt to her new life but her will to adapt to it would be greatly diminished - why would she want to continue living and where would she get the srength from?

Another way of looking at her death is that her survival may jeapodise the safety of the children. So you could say her dying is a selfless, neccessary act and maybe, in some way, her way of adapting. This kind of scenario could put the 'adapting' theme to the forefront. Padme may choose death as a way of protecting/helping her children like the Jedi (Obi Wan, Yoda and in ROTJ Darth Vader/Anakin) did in the OT. Giving your life for others is the ultimate selfless act. Padme's death could hold the key to the Jedi's technique of becoming one with the force - compassion and unconditional love.

I appreciate your opinions. I guess we could go on until may 19th discussing this....

MS

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas will probably bring that theme back in ROTS, since he cut those scenes on Naboo. We know that he cut out the comment about only the Dark Side can show the future with such clearity. Now it's back in ROTS and coming from Obi-wan.

It will have to be explained sufficently, so that people can get it.

17. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    basicallys, she can't accept or adapt to her new life -without Anakin, her children or the republic. She gives up. Lets herself die. she has nothing to live for and couldn't live without her loved ones.

You know that would be just awful. Talk about making a character pathetic. Dying of a broken heart--sheesh. And she's got children to think about, it's rather selfish to "let herself die" when there is that to think about.

18. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    You know that would be just awful. Talk about making a character pathetic. Dying of a broken heart--sheesh. And she's got children to think about, it's rather selfish to "let herself die" when there is that to think about.

First of all my main point was based on adapting to change - not having a broken heart. Secondly, if you read it properly I explained her death as being a good thing in protecting her children. If she lived then Vader/Emperor would know. Hence they would also know the kids were born, thus putting them in grave danger.

So, what do you think the reason for her death is?

19. smackfu

smackfu Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    "So, what do you think the reason for her death is?"

Due to being knocked unconscious and taken away for the medical procedure, Padme was forced to wear the same outfit for more than 3 hours. This is what killed her. If only they had thought to doll her up in some inappropriately festive and regal getup while she was out cold, she may have survived.

Seriously though,
    1. I think it takes more than a couple of hours to die from being unable to 'adapt' to life changes. I'm thinking 6 months to a year sounds reasonable. From the time her husband beats her to the time she gives birth she's pretty much out cold. One doesn't have much time to ponder her future and whether or not it's worth living.

2. If Padme is willing to leave her children alone in the universe in such dangerous times simply because she was too self-involved to bother fighting against life's hardships, then she's worse than Vader.

20. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Broken heart theory- just the other day in NY Times a medical report that some women have had heart attacks/broken heart when under sudden stress/sorrow..
    Ages 25-45 roughly....

21. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    "The spoiler says that Padme's organic damage has been repaired and this systemic failure cannot be explained. thus her death is due to something invisible."
    Damnit! I knew Clay sliced her! Now here's my proof. Damn American Idol songs!

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    So how and why does she die then?

She dies from a broken heart. You will hear this from the powers that be that this is her official cause of death. Pretty much the end of the story for her. Just like we thought all along, she died of a broken heart. No injuries of any kind killed her, not even childbirth, per se.

23. Uric-Qel-Droma

Uric-Qel-Droma Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    even if the biological and physical damage is repaired, i think padme just gives up..and that is why she dies..she's lost hope etc..no longer strong, so decides to die..

24. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    I don't believe a broken heart alone would kill her. She has just given birth. Mothers tend to care more for their children than their husbands, so i've heard!

I think its an mixture of things Rhonderoo, not just a broken heart. And in the end it comes down to not being able to adapt/live a new life without her husabnd, beloved republic and with the knowledge that her kids will be taken away from her.

What makes you think, btw, that a broken heart is going to be the official answer? I havent heard anything from LF.

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    What makes you think, btw, that a broken heart is going to be the official answer?

Trust me. It will be the official LFL answer. ;) No organic cause. "Padme basically dies of a broken heart."

...which kind of goes back to what you are saying. It could work. He could have been forshadowing there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.