main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme is the reason Owen hates OB1

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by hrHuffSomeStuff, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrHuffSomeStuff

hrHuffSomeStuff Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    There has been discussion about why Owen hates OB1 so much. It got me thinking. What if he was fulfilling a promise to Padme by keeping Luke away from OB1. It is possible that Padme blames OB1 (and the whole Jedi order for that matter) for Anakins downfall. Maybe it is Padme who drops Luke off to Owen and Beru. She knows OB1 followed her, wanting to watch over Luke. So she leaves the Lars homestead with strict orders to never let OB1 near her son. It is possible. She could feel it is the only way to protect her son from the dangers that he might face by joining the Jedi order. What do you think?

2. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I don't that will happen. Padme seems to really like Obi-Wan. She is very grateful to him for the events in TPM. It was also her idea, and not Anakin's, in AOTC to rescue Obi-Wan on Geonosis. Padme is also displayed as a very calm and reasonable person. I don't think she will blame Obi-Wan for Anakin's fall. She will know that Anakin was responsible.

I think it will be Padme instructing Obi-Wan to take Luke to Tatooine to be w/ the Larses.

I think Owen doesn't hate Obi-Wan. I think he is only fearful of Luke's destiny. Owen just wants to protect Luke from Vader and from luke becomming like Vader. He is merely fearful of what will happen to Luke if he leaves Tatooine and becomes a Jedi.

3. hrHuffSomeStuff

hrHuffSomeStuff Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    I think it can easily be said that Padme has the same fears as Owen. She is fearful of his destiny. And yes, so far Padme does seem to have a good relationship to OB1. So does Anakin, and we know how that one ends up. People can change, view points can shift. Maybe it is not so much OB1 but more of what he represents. If there wasn't some sort of rift between them then why not just give Luke to OB1? There is probably a reason he is kept out of the hands of the Jedi until that point. Alot of people think it is the Jedi's choosing. Maybe it isn't?

4. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I think you bring up a good point. Remember that Padme was being fed all that bull about Obi Wan holding Anakin back. Anakin was complaining about it on at least two different occasions that I can think of. She always seemed to be the voice of reason to him but now that they are married maybe she will start to believe him more. Maybe she WILL blame Obi Wan for what happens to Anakin.

Interesting enough.

5. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I don't think that owen even really hated Obi-wan, I think that he was just extremely wary of him, he must have had some idea that some day Obi-wan would come back into Lukes life and try to take him away, as far as I can tell, Luke was the closest thing that Owen had to a son, so him trying to keep luke from going off to academy and keeping him close to the farm was his way of keeping him safe, even if it meant keeping "crazy old ben" away from him.

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I think Owen is just afraid that Obi-Wan will take Luke on "some damn fool idealistic crusade", thus:

1. making Owen lose a valuable worker on the farm
    2. concerning Owen as it could have the potential to put Luke in danger

7. Quiescent_Affair

Quiescent_Affair Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    Yeah, it doesn't seem reasonable if Padme ends up blaming Obi-Wan for Anakin's fall. She might be in denial about the whole thing, not wanting to believe that her husband has crossed over, resulting in her tragic "sadness". She might even blame herself. To me, I think that Anakin's spiral toward the darkside might bring Padme and Obi-Wan closer together since they both care about him and his fate (and no, I don't mean a love affair or something. Let's not go into that impossible territory). In seperating and hiding the twins from their father and/or Palpatine, Padme informs Obi-Wan about the Lars and their relation to Anakin, thus leading Obi-Wan to take Luke to Tattooine.

8. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Doesn't seem likely to me. Prior to Episode II, and in part during it, her relationship seemed closer to Obi-Wan than to Anakin. Plus, I don't see her giving her daughter to a friend of Obi-Wan if she doesn't like Obi-Wan himself, especially considering that it's a mission to meet Obi-Wan that gets both her kids involved. Not that she knows that, but being raised by Bail Organa, surely it crossed her mind as a possibility.

9. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Maybe Padme and Obi Wan have an affair and thus Anakin goes to the Dark Side and thus Owen hates Obi Wan because he is sorta/not really Anakin's step brother.

Ok, probably not but you can imagine it right?! ;) :D

10. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    That idea would somewhat would make sense, since Owen is stuck on Tattooine, which is basically...nowhere in the universe, he would not be able to get the entire story, so perhaps he saw Obi-wan to blame for Anakin becoming Darth Vader, who ulitmately brings so much pain and destruction to the universe, and he takes Luke to make sure that Obi-wan does not screw up again with Anakins Son.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.