main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padme leaving Anakin & the very dark emotional undertones of ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by xezene, Apr 19, 2016.

1. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    Its interesting to read how you felt the first time you saw the movie versus more recent viewings, because I saw ROTS for the first time several months ago (all of Star Wars actually), as an adult with 2 small kids, and I totally feel what you are feeling. Its just the most awful thing. Obi-Wan came bearing the worst news. Seriously, if Obi-Wan came to tell Padme that Anakin had been killed it would have been so much better. I felt so much for her in that scene alone. And then when she went to find him, I think she had a desperate hope for a miracle, some sort of explanation/understanding, but of course there was none to be had.

ROTS is such a brilliant movie because Anakin's transition to Vader was nothing like I expected. I felt so much for everyone involved. It happened SO QUICKLY. It really makes me think of sand (no pun-intended, sorry Anakin) slipping through Obi-Wan and Padme's fingers. If they were able to pause, catch a break, figure things out-- but no. Everything happened so quickly, and when they were aware it was already too late. And then things continued in quick succession- Anakin was dismembered and left to burn, Padme gave birth then died, and then there were the babies to protect. Most Jedi killed, the republic overturned, a whole new reality.

I do feel for Anakin though. Again, it is a brilliant story-- Palpatine had been working on Anakin since he was a child, the entire structure and response to Anakin from the Jedi had been not what he needed, and he was SO YOUNG. I never thought he would be a teenager when he got married and in his early 20s when he became Darth Vader. He made a mistake out of desperation (and truly got seduced to the dark side- the talk from Palpatine was incredibly compelling to his vulnerable state) and everyone paid for it, including him.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think Padme leaving would have only pushed Anakin over the edge sooner. In fact I think I've heard that Lucas said he needed to kill Padme off because (rather than have her live on Alderaan with Leia to more closely align with ROTJ) she probably would have turned Anakin back.

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

Is obvious that she would turn him back. That's why Palpatine said to Vader that she is dead. Not because that was the true, but because Vader wouldn’t be in full control of the Emperor if he has hopes for Padme. But even that wasn't enough because saying that she was dead could push Vader into despair and depression, but what Palpatine needed was his anger and hate. That's why he lied that Anakin killed Padme. Then he lost all hope and almost died till the moment when he understood about his son. I have always wonder if they dare to make SW anthology about that: Vader understanding the true about Padme last moments and of course, the birth of his son.

Subtext Mining and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I like that emotional touch much more than aligning with ROTJ strictly. Anakin is so much more tragic that way instead of if he was just evil for the sake of evil at that moment. Guilt in essence was a way more compelling motivator that anger for me.

Tonyg likes this.
  5. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Of course Padme should have left Anakin, she was trying to leave him when she was force choked. It's pretty realistic actually, because the most dangerous time for a woman in that situation is when she's trying to leave her partner.

It's an interesting thought that for years people wanted to see Vader kill a bunch of people and be murderous and it's a testament to Lucas that he did just that without subtracting the horror from that or making it "cool". It's a courageous choice in a lot of ways. Everything is a Pyrrhic victory in the prequels for the characters, why not the fans as well?

And of course Padme would have gotten him to come back to the light. It was hers and Luke's love and belief in his light side that accomplished that. I believe Luke got that from his mother.

minnishe, darskpine10 and xezene like this.