main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme light blue Tatooine dress/cape

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, now that there are new pics out, this dress definately deserves its own thread!
    [image=http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/polish/g-37.jpg]
    [image=http://www.stopklatka.pl/film/01200/01219/g-38.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/cape/cape.jpg]
    [image=http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/polish/g-25.jpg]

So, what ideas do you guys have? Patterns, fabrics, etc. I am so pumped to make this dress now!

S_S edit: unlocking
    MK edit: unlocking

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I came back to edit and realized it had timed out.... Ok so, I've been looking this over, and I don't even know where to begin!

OK the bottom part is probably the easiest, so I looked for patterns for this first. Here are the possibles I found:
    Simplicity #7015 could be modified, but I think #8527 would work better. You could lengthen it, and modify the top. I think the drape of the second one is more accurate to Padme's dress.

For the top,I was thinking you could combine a "wrap" top with a cape of some sort. Take two patterns and attach them together, you know? Simplicity #7082 is the closest I could find for the shirt part. You would need to crop it and make it wrap around, rather than tie. You would also need to lengthen the sleeves. For the cape/train part I found Simplicity #9335, but I wasn't very happy with it -- it would require too much modification, but would work. It would need more drape near the shoulders, as well as some other modifications. I think you can find a closer pattern though. I will continue to look.

The outer cloak: I don't even know. I'll probably just use the same pattern we're using for my husband's jedi robe, which is #9887. You could use option D. The only thing that would need adjusting is the hood. It would need to be more bulky and square.

Fabrics: The under clothes would be good in either some sort of spandex-material or a very light cotton. I'm at a loss for the cloak, however. Also one more question: What is she wearing on her head/neck in this picture:
    [image=http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/polish/g-25.jpg]

Thoughts?

3. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Oh, my GOD!! IT"S GORGEOUS!!

Oh goodness. Now I'm gonna wanna make THIS dress, along with my other bizillion of Padmé's!! :p

Well, wasn't that a little exaggerated?? ;)

Er... well, the white material is definatly silk, and as for the design on there (this may sound cheap and or weird) but you could paint it on?

Well, Mrs_MayimNaar, I'm going to have to do some research first! I definatly need some time to think about how on *earth* her white shirt is put together... Are there any other pics of it?? :D

-~Dormé~-

4. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Well, Mrs_MayimNaar, #7082 looks about right to me, especially the white on in the corner! But, it would need to be modified a bit.. I agree with what you said about the cape/shirt thing, maybe the cape is clipped on the collar where you can't see it.

As fot the skirt, #8527 is what I'd use, er... yes, I would *definatly* lower it down on to more of my hips instead of ribs! :p He he... :D

For the cape in the white costume, I'd just make it from scratch, the pattern you found is too far from it.

On the outer cloak, yes, use #9887. But, I don't think I'd make it, it would cover too much of her pretty white gown! NOOO! :p

Epp!! I'm so excited!! :D

-~Dormé~-

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    (as I said in the dress spoiler thread)...

:eek: [face_love] !!!!!
    I am SO motivated to workout even harder now! I need my tummy FLAT so I can do this costume!! YES!!!!

kreleia ^.^

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    If there is ever a time to wear this dress, for me it's now! I just got married, so I got myself in really good shape for the wedding. Probably won't last for too much longer, though, so I best take advantage of it!!

7. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I agree with you on this dress/cape needing it's own thread. I had to dig out my first photo and the page was printed on 11/26/01. :)
    I had did some research on this and also came up with Simplicty #7015 for the skirt. I also had #6019, 9129 & 9587 wrote down.
    If you're a beginner the Butterick pattern #3201 might do (9 sew easy skirts :)).
    The top was harder to piece together. I found Butterick #6768 and a pirate one #6295.
    Both would have to be REALLY modified!!
    I totally agree with you on the cape. I had printed that off and also found another one at McCalls, #2937 (the green one) but I still like #9887 the best.
    I have no idea what that blue thing is on her head when she has her hood up and have a hard time trying to figure out the blue/silver? thing that's on her head in the desert shot. Looks kinda like the scoop that came with our Fry Daddy!!
    I am anxious to see what everyone comes up with. I was actually going to do this one before I ended up deciding to do the "Arica" one (and now that one is officially void) so maybe I will do this once more pictures become available.

8. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    OMG!!! The red x of death was showing up on some of the pictures and on the other one I had already seen so I assumed that I probably seen the red x ones too but after I posted the one with padme's back turned to us popped up and now I know what you were talking about in your original post about the cape!! Taking a closer look at that, do you think her hood is the extended piece hanging to the left of the bottom of her hair? It looks like a clip of some sort dangling there covering part of the darker pattern. Maybe that clips under her chin and the loose, hanging piece fits snuggly around her head? (And the larger piece drapes across her shoulders under the cape).

What color is this dress?? Light blue or off white??

Now...maybe the red x's will disappear when I post this and I will get to see more photos!! Man, I wish my computer would get with it and let me see these photo's everyone has been posting lately!!

Nope...no luck....I'll have to try from the office tomorrow and see if they will show up there!!

9. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Question: Why is it in some pictures the skirt looks like really baggy pants and in others it looks like a skirt? I was gonna make this after i finish my Jedi tunic... but im unsure about the bottom...

10. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    To Dorme: I really don't think the material is silk. From a picture in the Spoiler dress thread, of padme and Anakin, *did I spell that right? I'm not quite awake yet...* It looks a little rougher... I could be way wrong, but... I'll find the picture and post it here..[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/ent-vanityfair_cape.jpg]

It might just be the picture quality, but to me it looks a little rougher then silk... but then again, you guys are the experts!

Shoot! And I sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of the other thing I wanted to say;
    The skirt!!!! To me, when I watched one of the trailers frame by frame, I noticed that her skirt doesn't have any seperation in the front....like its all one piece and cliped together... I wish I knew how to save a picture from a Quicktime video... Ok well... If you watch the forbidden love trailer, frame by frame when Ani is helping Padme out of the carriage thingy on Tatooine you will see from the movement of the skirt that it is prolly only one piece and gathered at the front....

And again to Dorme... I think you are right about the material being silk... it moves to gracefully to be anything else, but I'm just not sure that they would use silk on Tatooine... Just a nagging doubt at the back of my mind.... Sorry.... *eeep*

*~*~*~ Wait again! OK.... Well it seems I was right about it all being one piece, BUT... It seems as thought the front of the skirt is sewn together and then the little bunch of cloth is just left there to look pretty.... I was watching that part over and over again, and it seems as though the fabric is straining, but that wouldnt be the case if the little bit was just bunched there...... Sorry if that makes no sence... I tried to make it make sence... My best advice, watch the trailer in slow motion, or frame by frame!

Shaden ^_~

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Amidala_Wannabe I agree about the fabric. These pics show a rougher fabric:
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/misc/padme_misc_trailer1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/ent-vanityfair_cape.jpg]

Also, I don't think silk would lay right on the top. The dress has too many..folds(?) in the way it lays across her chest. I don't know. I don't think my original fabric suggestions were right either, however. A spandex-blend would be too light, like the silk would. But I don't think a light cotton would drap right for the skirt. Ahh! What to use....

12. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    To Mrs. M: What kinds of fabrics has George been consistent in using? It kind of looks like there is two dresses that are the same tho!

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/misc/padme_misc_trailer1.jpg]

and

[image=http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/polish/g-37.jpg]

One looks more cream coloured and the other more white-ish-blue.... Is it just the light maybe? I think that may be what is getting us confused about the fabric.... And also in the trailer, it looks more blue-ish... Its really possibly just the light...

Shaden ^_~

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I was thinking about that before too. Actually, I think the dress is white, but under the cloak, and in some lighting it just looks blue. That's the theory I'm going with, anyways. I guess we won't know for sure until April 24th, when the AOTC Visual Dictionary comes out!! haha

14. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Fabric thought.... RAW silk. It's got that rougher unrefined texture, but still drapes and hangs beautifully. Or you could go with rayon sheeting - the sheeting would do the layering/folded look really nicely. And... the more I play with my Dharma samples and look at those pics, the more I'm convinced it's a smoother fabric like the rayon sheeting - just from the way the fabric flows and drapes. It also looks lightweight (it would have to be in order to let this outfit move the way it does).

Okay. Rayon Sheeting. And that's my "final answer." **laugh** (until someone proves me wrong, of course)

kreleia ^.^

15. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    Ok Kreleia! But where would you find Rayon Sheeting, and about how much would it cost???

Also, does anyone have any idea about the little fragile *I'm only guessing* head piece that she wears? It looks like something Cate Blanchet wore in Lord of the Rings....

Shaden ^_~

16. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, the sheeting sample I'm looking at came from Dharma Trading. And the price per yard is... $3.75/yd for 1-9 yards, $3.25/yd for 10-24 yards. :) It's already white, too.

hmm... how many centimeters per yard? Well, you already know a yard is dang close to a meter - a meter being slightly longer, so... take your best guess, I suppose. ^^; Sorry... I don't know where my conversion chart thingy went...

kreleia ^.^

EDIT: duh! **smacks forehead** I have centimeters on my measuring tape! Okay, a yard is 91½ centimeters long. Hope that helps.

17. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    Thank you!

Now all I need is someone to embroder it! *sweatdrop*

Shaden ^_^*

18. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    Ok...

Heres something I'm wanting to kill myhself for doing, but it might be of some help to you guys.... I took stills of this dress from the Forbidden Love trailer... Frame by frame... to see how the dress moves.... I put them up on a page, and I'm givin you the address.... There is 27 stills from when Anakin helps her out of the carriage thing, but thats not the whole scene. Just some pictures that I thought would be major help to anyone trying that costume.

Padme and Anakin Tatoonie Carriage

I really hope this helps you guys!

Shaden ^_^*

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Call me crazy, but some part of my brain is unable to banish the notion that this could possibly be a knit -- the drape and weight of it make me think it could be a really soft wool/silk blend.

AND, I think I have a pattern at home that may be a good starting point for this. It's currently on my "maybe" list... I'll try to scan in the pattern and get it posted soon...

-sg

20. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    Coud you really SG?! Oh thank you!

Shadne ^_^*

21. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    This is the pattern I was thinking might make a good start for the wrap top. It needs some work, and would need to be fitted more tightly, but I think the current collar could be fairly easily modified to match the film garment.

It's out of print, although it's possible some pattern clearing houses might have it. Sometimes, if you get in touch with a pattern company directly, they'll have some of their out of print stuff on hand they can sell you.

A possibility, in any case.

-sg

22. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    In one of the Insider pictures, the thinging she wear underneath the hood really look like just the hood from Vogue 7470 (Pullover Top) and IMHO it looks like Lycra or (closely) knit fabric. It could had also be a modified Diving Hood.

For some other ideas on Cape design, can try the ones listed on this page but with lots of adjustments, especially to the hood:
    BASIC JEDI/SITH ROBE/CAPE
    Can also throw in Burda Easy 2566 (Cape A). :p

23. sabe-oola

sabe-oola Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    In case anyone is interested, thenextamidala.com has posted full pictures of this entire outfit including the skirt!...Just thought i might let anyone know who was planning on making this particular costume for Celebration 2.........

24. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, now don't everyone look at once, because stupid geocities shuts down my site for an hour or so, everytime I post something! [face_clown] haha Anyways, here are all the pics I have found useful in trying to begin making this dress. Also, this pic shows how bulky her cape is in the back:
    [image=http://killermovies.com/images/starwars/making_ep2_tatooine_wattoshop.jpg]

25. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Tried to add to earlier post, but missed the edit window! Sorry bout the double post!

Anyways, I am probably wrong about this, but I'm posting a theory anyways.

****SPOILER ALERT****

ok. We know that while Padme waits for Anakin's return, she and Owen put coverings on C3PO. She is also probably wearing her white costume still, based on the fact that when he returns, we see her hugging him in it. Anyways, is it possible that this is a pic from that scene?
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20010828/img/coverings_sm.jpg]
    OK, I believe that it might be, based on the background, etc. But it could just be a behind th scenes pic. IF this is a scene pic, is it possible Padme has tighter sleeves underneath the billowing, embroidered sleeves? The color/texture matches some of the other pics of her in this outfit. But on the other hand(speaking figuratively!) the person in wearinf jewelry that I don't believe Padme wears, so maybe it is just a crew member in a jedi styled shirt!

Any thoughts?