main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme light blue Tatooine dress/cape

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks, Kay_dee. :) I'm excited I've gotten this far on this. I never thought working towards this costume for a doll would be so difficult (tiny pieces, I mean). I think this would be easier to make full sized. Here are two pictures of the top, with the cape and hood. The doll doesn't have the face re-embroidered yet, nor have I done the decoration on the cape yet. That's for tonight.

[image=http://kesfic.homestead.com/files/misc/doll1.jpg]

[image=http://kesfic.homestead.com/files/misc/dollback1.jpg]

I started with an underlayer, then just added the layers like they were highlighted, keeping in mind the center closing and how it would need to wrap across. It actually wasn't as hard as I'd thought it would be! I think I made the cape too full,but I like how it looks when the doll is standing. The skirt is up to work on tomorrow and I've got it cut out and ready to sew.

I might venture into making a full-size version next.

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Very cute Kasey! I really want to make this costume, but still can't find the perfect fabric (that's the problem with seeing these costumes in person, it makes you more picky!)

- Kay Dee

3. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I think that all the video and photos of Trisha Biggar shopping and sourcing fabric are a sham. She really has magic pixies and elves weaving the fabric under moon light. ;)

So I have resigned my self to the mindset that I will never find the exact fabric for most of the costumes.

4. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Thank you, Kay_dee. I keep saying that to you over and over...lol! It is hard to find the right fabric. Even from just looking at the pictures it's hard. I don't want to think about how much harder it would be having seen them in person.

~~~

Adding to what I posted earlier. Here's a drawing of the pieces I used. I color coded them.

[image=http://kesfic.homestead.com/files/misc/patterndrawing.jpg]

1. The bottom piece in #2 was folded in half and sewn to the center of the left underlayer.
    2. the fake cross piece was sewed to the center of the underlayer over the bottom piece.
    3. The left cross piece was then sewn to the underlayer and over both the bottom and fake cross pieces. It was attached to the curve of the bottom piece.
    4. The crosspiece goes around the back and snaps to the opposite piece.

Have I confused everyone?

The right side I think is self-explanatory. The cape I made the similar shape to the White Battle cape and the hood was from Naboo_Girl's tutorial, scaled down. I lengthened one end a bit more. The top could even be constructed simpler and I just didn't see it when working on it.

5. East_Coast_Ryder

East_Coast_Ryder Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2005
    I found the perfect beads, and used Naboo_Girl's tutorial to string them.

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/East_Coast_Ryder/Padme%20costume/DCP04049.jpg]

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/East_Coast_Ryder/Padme%20costume/skirtbeads.jpg]

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/East_Coast_Ryder/Padme%20costume/hoodbeads.jpg]

6. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Making progress. The doll skirt is completed and I've finished the painting on the cape. Now I need to actually fix the doll so she's more like Padme and make the headpiece. :)

Front of doll
    Back of doll

7. East_Coast_Ryder

Aug 22, 2005
    Looking good, Kasey! How are you going to make your headpiece?

8. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks!

I'm not sure what to use. I've got a piece of thin craft foam I'm going to drag out today and see if it's too thick. If it's not, I'll use it, but if it is, guess I'll have to hit the craft stores for ideas. Any suggestions? As for the design, I'm going to try and stick as close to the pictures as possible, though I'm coming to realize that perhaps working with smaller scaled items is not for me. The smaller scale seems to frustrate me quicker than life-sized. I think people who work at this scale and smaller have a gift for it.

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I would like to know if there is a pattern of any kind for the "Light Blue" Padme had for Tatooine. Not the cape but the blue part. If you have any request, thanks.

Kit~~

Padawan's guide has great tutorials and Naboo Girl has one as well.

However, now that some of us have seen the costume in person I think some of the tutorials need modifying. If you read through the last few pages of the thread some of the corrections are discussed.

For example, nobody has made the cape 2 layers as we now see that it is. No pattern exists for it, so you'd have to play making half circles and draping them.

There is not a seperate overlay on the hips. It's just the fabric of the skirt bunched up.

If the fabric sample I ordered recently ends up being a good match I have these patterns I'm going to start out with (in addition to info from Padawan's Guide and Naboo Girl!)

SKIRT PATTERN: Simplicity 5914 View A. I plan to extend the center front panel upwards and make it a little wider so I can gather it in the front and wrap it over the waist. Zipper moved to center back seam.

SHIRT: McCall's 3184 and Vogue 8138 (the top can be worn as a bunched up into a wrap shirt).

CAPE: I'll probably just draft it myself and refer to McCall's 3033 View A (Just make that part that's hanging in front of her hang behind you and you have the 2 layers of the circle cape!)

This is a hard costume to do accurately because you have to modify every pattern so much, and draft so much on your own.

- Kay Dee

10. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    I don't know if anyone is still making this costume, but I was studying it a bit and I think that it is made up of 12 pieces, and I would like to know what you all think of this:

Skirt is 2 piesces: Main skirt and then front drape (the part that the beads fall over, it goes straight down)

Undershirt is 2 piesces: Main undershirt and neckline plus back hood top

There's three crossovers: One crossover that goes around and gives the foldy frill to the hood, and then comes back on the other side of the outfit and finishes another crossover on that side. Then there are two more crossovers, which go under the arm and connect in the back.

There's a hang fabric piece in the back which more jewels hang from.

And then the over cape is two pieces (or actually three, one back and then two connecting where we can't see it)

So, what do you all think??

~N

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, if you look back on the previous page I have a picture that highlights each part of the shirt and the cross over layers. I don't remember the number off hand. But it should help you.

The skirt is not 2 pieces. It's all one piece. The center part in the front is just gathered and tucked in such a way that it appears to drape over the skirt. In reality it's just a panel or gore of the skirt. If you pull outward on the front panel, it's attached to the rest of the skirt by seams and an actual part of it, not simply a layer draped over the skirt.

You mention a piece in the back with jewels. That's just the tip of the hood.

- Kay Dee

12. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    AAAH, alright, Thanks KD!
    Thanks for all the tips you have put there!!!!

~N

13. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a stupid belly button, so I covered mine up :D Basically I just made the shirt a little longer and the skirt higher. It didn't quite work out how I wanted because it killed the gathering on the front of my skirt, but it was ok...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/PrincessofMars/db267c4b.jpg]

So the front panel is actually three sections? Wow, I just made mine a rectangle that I folded over and sewed into the front seam, lol. That will drape so much better!

That's why I couldn't see a seam! I kept searching for a seam on the side of her hip and I couldn't find it, so I concluded there were only front and back seams! I could see a bump underneath like there's a seam in the lining, but not in the actual fabric. What an interesting technique... Man, there's so much new stuff to think about now, thanks for your great observations Kay_dee!

Kay_dee, it doesn't look like a split, it looks like two seperate layers. The lower layer wraps horizontally across her abdomen right below the breasts (then the faux wrap is sewn over that) and the upper layer wraps over that diagonally, probably starting at the shoulder, as you said. And then the hood wraps over again. sheesh! That things gotta be so hot. Not at all desert wear!

I got by with 10 yards and I lined the skirt as well as the hood and cape. Well, I had to go back and get a little more because I made a mistake with the skirt, but if I hadn't made a mistake it would have worked :D Of course, if you're doing it all in muslin first you'll be able to figure out how much. It is a fabric eater because of the strange shape of the hood plus wraps, all one piece!

Where did you find the beads?

Hey, no fair! I made mine that way! *sticks tongue out* And that was during the whole wing business *evil eye* I shall take piccies. ;o)

14. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    eep, sorry for the ridiculous post, I've been gone awhile! Does anybody know what jersey crepe actually is? I can't find it anywhere online...

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Jersey Crepe is a jersey knit with a crepe finish. However, I searched ALL over for some and could not find it. The closest thing I found was a silk matte jersey knit at Thai Silks, but it's not 100% the same. So, I put this costume on hold.

- kay dee

16. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Even in paris i didn't find this fabric !!!
    I took normal jersey !

17. East_Coast_Ryder

Aug 22, 2005
    I actually got them at Michael's. When I posted that, I thought that they were oval-shaped, but I know now that they are actually circular. Oh, well. They still look great!

Now to find fabric. [face_frustrated]

18. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing your experience! Without yours tutorials(special thanks to Naboo_Girl) I would never started this dress. I've started it adout a month ago and now I'm on my homestretch! Playing with the idea to make the inner layer of the cape, but still not sure whether it is nesessary or not.:)
    And I also need shoes and someone to cut for me aluminium[face_laugh]
    well, here are the pics!
    http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/7891/dsc01963ffff7dp.jpg
    http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9531/dsc01956xx7yv.jpg
    http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/2555/dsc01970ff7px.jpg

19. East_Coast_Ryder

Aug 22, 2005
    OMG, Sotis, that is AMAZING. :eek:

Where did you get your fabric? I'm still in the process of hunting it down.

20. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    that's amazing, great job Sotis! You look gorgeous!

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Your costume looks great Sotis! What fabric (type and fiber content) did you end up using? I could never decide on a good substute - and yours looks like it drapes very well!

- kay dee

22. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    East_Coast_Ryder, Tenyon, Kay_dee
    Thanks! This is my FIRST so accurate costume!:) And I'm really happy with the way it looks!
    My fabric is bielastic jersey - viscose with lycra. It is very soft and drapes just wonderfully! When I saw it I just fall in love!

23. Natalie1988

Natalie1988 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005

that is AMAZING=D=

24. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Good job, Sotis! Your costume looks great! The fabric drapes very well.

25. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Great job !
    Hope mine will be so great