main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme light blue Tatooine dress/cape

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    Ok, thanks so much for calling me a moron... I have seen 12mm beads before and they're huge, I would not use them on this dress. In fact, I am looking at a template of actual bead sizes right now, as I should have done originally, I apologize. I would not go any larger than 10mm. I think you are overestimating from the photos. I was unaware that people should be insulted merely for suggesting things. Should we call whoever was set on "wings" for the cape a moron? Or how about the people who originally were convinced the dress was white? Or the lady who suggested the beads were labradorite, a clearly unsuitable stone even before the hi res photos.

I made my own dress with 6mm round beads and it worked out fine. I thought that this size would translate over to the flat discs and I'm sorry that my frame of reference was faulty.

Even so, I estimate the longest strand of beads to be 5, no more than 6 inches long. A 12mm bead is almost exactly 1/2 an inch. There are 14 beads in the longest strand. When you do the math, even without the black beads in between, fourteen 12mm beads end to end equal just under 7 inches and that is too long. Add the black beads and it's 8 inches.

Looking over the site they only sell 7mm, 10mm, and 15mm. I think you will be happy with the 10mm. In fact, there's even a silver finish now that they didn't have before, though it looks a bit opaque and possibly unsuitable for that reason. The real beads have a silver lining inside which gives them that greyish, silvery cast.

The fabric has already been established as an aqua crepe jersey.

2. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    And if you bought the beads inside a shop, it was even more your responsibility to form your own opinion. I made sure I agreed with any suggestions by researching and confirming them with my own observations before I did anything with my dress. By no stretch did it come out perfectly, but I accept that these were my own mistakes.

3. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    I wasn't talking about you, where did you get I was talking about you.

And thank you on the fabric I thought that is was jersey.

4. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004

OH and by the way, I had to order them, because the craft stores didn't have them. Again where did you get that I was referring to you. I don't even know who you are.

5. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Frankly, whether you were referring to HeatherD or not, you should be careful about the insults you throw around. This is a friendly community, and we're all trying to help each other make the best costumes we can.

6. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    If I want to call my son's grandmother a moron or worse I can. I wasn't talking about anyone here at all.

To get this back on topic. I had looked for Timberland boots last night to find some blue ones. Nothing looked right. I saw one pair of boots, I don't think they were Timberland ones. But the thing had them under blue. These boots were not blue, they looked green. When the winter months start to come in, more options should come up.

7. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Woohoo!!! Got the fabric! It isn't quite the jersey I was looking for, its a light flannel fabric. But I was walking through and remembered that the only time I have ever seen jersey fabric is for sheets, and that is where this was. Its called "baby blue" and has that soft texture to it. I couldn't find that piping color or just that right type of piping. It looks like a silver luster color, which they didn't have. Just white, blue and some reds. So I bought a light blue one. Actually I shouldn't say "I bought" because the battleaxe was with me, and frustrating me. I am for waiting and getting the right stuff. She just wants to rush and get it, doesn't care if it even looks right. Then she gets a zipper to put in the skirt, which I kept telling her not to do. But did it anyway.

8. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    If you were not referring to me, then I'm glad. But why did you say "here" if you were not referring to someone who was in fact here?

9. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    You can make piping out of any fabric, you don't necessarily have to buy it already made. I thought it was a silvery grey satin type fabric.

10. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    When I was saying "here" I was referring to the person sitting in the room with me. I see the confusion now. No I would never call anyone here on the boards names. But that is also why I have just started referring to the person as "battleaxe." Gives the person a name, and hopefully doesn't create anymore misunderstandings.

11. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Yes that is the color it looked to me. I don't know how to sew at all. I mean I can barely make a pillowcase. So buying it already made is easier for me.

Now the trick is to get the fabric on the skirt that scrunched up look. I still am am trying to figure out how the beads are put in there. To me it looks like the thread was just pulled through the fabric.

12. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I believe I was the one who suggested labradorite ages ago, before we had the hi-res images, or FIDM pics. Whether it was a bad suggestion or not (and at the time, I didn't think it was a bad one), I don't appreciate it being called "clearly unsuitable". I don't think anyone speculations on this board should be ridiculed or insulted. It's not nice, and it makes people think twice before offering suggestions up. You're more than welcome to disagree with my or anyone else's thoughts on the costumes, but let's be kinder about it. Thanks.

13. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    At first didn't know what you were talking about, but I see now.

I still find it amazing that I could not find these beads in the craft stores I went to, and had to order them. I ordered clear ones, I know it was said a few posts back that there is like a silver luster to them. But didn't see any with a tint of silver. So clear will do just fine. Still need to get those black ones. Oh and make a stencil, and get the proper stencil paint. I saw it recommended that the stencil had a greyish tint to it?

14. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Who's making your dress if you can't sew? lol [face_clown]~

And as for the lady from Padawansguide (I'm sorry, I don't know your name) I'm sorry for saying that but I was extremely upset at the time. But the point was that anybody can make mistakes in their suggestions and shouldn't be belittled for them.

15. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    My son's grandmother, battleaxe, is sewing. She started to cut out the pieces today, I just need her to sew it together, I can cut it out, but that is about it. Already she isn't listening to me. I keep telling her how the pieces need to be attached, but arguments galore. I haven't even mentioned the headpiece, because she will come up with some idea that won't work.

16. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    lol! I can tell you're going to have a fun time putting it together.

Er, sorry about the clowny face above, that's supposed to look like this : o)~

17. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Yea I am one of those people that I can see it in my head. How the fabric needs to be laid and everything. But when it actually comes to sewing it all together. Nope, I can't get that part done.

Ok I found these boots. They are blue, and I am only looking at the last two pairs. Curious to know what all of you think about them. I am trying to find some with a silver tint to it, but options are limited.

http://www.shoemall.com/ShoeSearchResults.aspx?cat_id=200&color=19&gender=3

18. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Ok I know I posted above about those other boots, but take a gander at these :

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_prof/d_AdultF/co_1562/p0_3331,3431,3531/p_2/st_167764/sbstl_383759

19. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    OK I need to tackle the head dress. I saw where one person used foam pieces and cut them into the proper shapes. However, I have no idea how to do a plaster caste of my head. Any other ideas?

20. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    If you have something like a Sally's Beauty Supply, you can pick up a styrofoam head. You might need to 'build it up' depending on your head measurement, but I've had relatively good luck with mine. You can get clamps to hold them to a table edge or something, but I haven't actually looked into getting one of those.

21. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    I don't have a plastic head so I used just 2 bottoms of plastic bottles (5 litres) put on each other. Then I winded the sticky tape for windows round the upper bottle. Here it is!
    This is how it looks like. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic without sticky tape.
    http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8531/dsc02201qp7.jpg
    Hope it'll help!:)

22. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    That is pretty clever. There are a lot of beauty supply places around, but so far none of those heads. I will think of something.

Actually this outfit is not turning out what I wanted it to be. I know how to cut fabric and how things need to be layed out. But someone else took over, this person I only needed her to sew it, because I can never use her machine. But nope took over, now it looks terrible. So now I have banned her from doing anything else. She completely ruined it.

23. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    I finally took some new pictures of my C3 costumes, although I haven't altered them really since then. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to steam or iron this one, so it's a little wrinkled. These pictures are also on my website.

[image=http://blue-eyedpadme.com/images/100_3377.JPG] [image=http://blue-eyedpadme.com/images/100_3378.JPG]

I'm going to redo this one completely for C4 (if I go) because the fabric I used is too heavy, and the silver motif on the cape is too big. And I never got around to making the headband, either.

Pics of my other two costumes can be found in their respective threads (family and corset) or on my website.

24. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Well I had to go back and retake the skirt. She waited for me to go out and do an errand and took the skirt. She pleated it for some reason. Causing it to hang flat and way to low. It did not look right. So I took the stitching out, and stitched it up the way I had said it needed to be stitched from the beginning. So it isn't to low, and that front part hangs more properly now. I need to wash it, then put on the beads. I still need to attach the cape, but I am going to wash those pieces first.

25. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Hey guys! I'm really thinking about doing this outfit. My only problem is that I have a tight budget, so I need to figure out a rough approximation as to how much it will cost me.

Can any tell me about how much material I would need for this? I'm 5'3". I am a size -7 in pants and a small-med shirt size. Here's a pic of me so you can see my body demensions:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/DC072.jpg

Thanx for your help!
    ~Tally