main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme light blue Tatooine dress/cape

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Yay! I'm going there tomorrow then!!

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm still working on my tummy! FLATTER!! (my battle cry these days ;) )

In the mean-time, I think I could sketch the little filigree design (on her sleeves and white hood/cloak) out rather easily - although I can swear there's something similar in the Wingdings fonts on my computer. I'll look.

kreleia ^.^

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    LOL! Wingdings! I remember back in College, sitting at my computer "writing a paper"(what I should have been doing) and getting sidetracked by going through the Wingdings font and looking at all the cool things it had. I went through every key individually. I did eventually finish that paper...

4. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I went to Hancock this morning and they only had the sheer version of that fabric, which was $5.99/yd!!! The pattern I chose calls for 7 yards, so I opted not to buy it. However, I was able to find a satisfactory fabric at JoAnne's for $1.47/yd. So I bought it instead. It isn't perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Here's a heads up though: Hancock has the perfectp clasps for the cape. They looks a lot like Padme's. They are $7.49, but I thought they were worth it, so I picked them up.

I've decided to do this costume for the premier, so I will be starting it soon. Has anyone else done any work on it yet? I'll post more on my progress, as soon as I get it figured out.

5. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I have the simplicty pattern 7015 for the skirt. I have yet to figure out what to do with the top. I believe the sleeves are actually part of the cape and the wrap top can start out sleeveless with the back draping over the shoulder to the form fitted hood. I didn't pick up the pattern for the cape yet (I figure simplicity 9887 is perfect). What kind of material are you using for the dress? I found a really pretty pale blue rayon but I'm not sure if it's the right color, some times I think it's white, then I think it's blue!!
    The embroidery is incredible & I am not sure what I would do for the front piece on the skirt. Basically, I am no help at all yet :)...I hope the visual dictionary and other sources can give us a better idea on what to do. I won't have this done for the celebration but with any luck, our local premier.

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Ladystar, I agree with you about the sleeves. I think they're attached to the cape/hood. I haven't ofund patterns yet, but I'll post them when I do.

For the skirt, I thought of making two diferent parts. First, I too plan on using Simplicity 7015, and modify it a bit around the hem (lengthen and "curve" the corner). Then, as far as the drape goes, I am going to create a second piece all together: a "sash" of some sort, that drapes down in front. I think that's going to be the best way to go.

We bought the Simplicity 9887 for my husband's jedi robe, and I'm going to use that too. I have that figured out already. I bought a fabric that is pretty cose to the original. It is too thin, however, so I am going to line the inside with a beautiful dark/charcoal silver fabric. To make the hood stiff and kind of squared at the bottom, I am going to use interfacing to stiffen it up.

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I went to Hancock this morning and I found my fabric for the outfit itself. It was on the 50% off rack, and I got it for 2.99/yd. It is a very light, stretchy cotton/jersey blend in pure white. It feels kind of like those T-shirt sheets you can buy. It's beautiful, and there is just enough stretch to get the effect I want. It's light enough to flow and be comfortable, but has just enough weight to drape correctly! It's perfect! The only catch is there was only 8 3/5 yds left. So I am going to have to really conserve fabric in order to make it work. I figured I would need 7 total, based on the patterns... Worst comes to worse, I will just make the sleeveless shirt part out of a similar fabric. It can't be that hard to duplicate, right?

I am going to buy patterns this weekend, when they're on sale. I believe I read somewhere that JoAnne's has Simplicity patterns for 99 cents. Here is what I am planning on using:
    • Shirt: McCalls #3184
    • Skirt: Simplicity #7015
    • Cape: Simplicity #9181, heavily modified!
    • Sash: I am going to make it without a pattern, out of scraps/leftover pieces.
    • Cloak: Simplicity #9887

Well, that's what I've come up with so far. Anyone else making any progress?

8. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    mmm, no *costume* progress to report, but tummy-flattening progress, yes... albeit slow. Oh well. :D

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    New pic!!
    [image=http://www.episode-x.com/episode2/gallery/img/oswfc25/oswm4.jpg]

making me rething my shirt/cape idea.

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Those shoulders look bulky.... ?[face_plain]

11. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    "Those shoulders look bulky...."

Yeah, they do.... it also looks like the drape of this outfit (at least at the bodice) doesn't really come from the way the fabric naturally hangs. Looks like it's been tacked into place...

interesting.

-sg

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I was rethinking my idea for how to create the cosume. Instead of making a separate cape and shirt, I might just try to make a cape that wraps around the front. Hmm... I'll have to really look at this. I think the complexity of the costume is going to require a couple of muslin mock-ups :eek:( I really don't want to spend the extra money, but I also don't want a crappy costume, and I don't want to ruin my white fabric.

13. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, they do.... it also looks like the drape of this outfit (at least at the bodice) doesn't really come from the way the fabric naturally hangs. Looks like it's been tacked into place...

I wonder if this is an "unfinished" version of the costume. I know, I know - that would be really odd to have on the set, but it's possible. It's also possible that Natalie is just slouching in such a way that the top slipped forward on her shoulders a bit... **shrug**

Trying to be optomistic here... :D

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope so, because I don't really like the way it looks in that pic. :(

15. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    It probably is, because Nat's hair isn't done up all fancy and like in the movie!

~Obischick

~~Giving hope to those who have none :p ~~

16. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    new huge pic here

17. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    I'm glad that wasn't the first picture I had ever seen of that outfit or I probably would have ignored it for something else. I too, have to rethink my top idea. I was looking at a cape pattern I seen that scooped down the back and then instead of throwing the front sashes over my shoulders/around my neck, I would criss-cross them across the front and hook it (or something) in the back. But now that I seen this photo, the drape won't look right.
    Hmm...I'll have to wait to see more photos.

18. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I am a little put off, but my husband really likes this costume, so I am committed now. I WILL make it. So today I'm off to the fabric store to buy patterns...I think I read somewhere that today and tomorrow only, Joann's has Simplicity Patterns for $0.99? I hope I'm right! If they are on sale, I will be starting the costume this afternoon. Wish me luck!

EDIT: OK, that huge pic finally got done downloading on my computer and it is so awesome! It shows soooo much detail! We can see the embroidery on the sleeves so much better, and to me it doesn't necessarily look like embroidery now...Maybe some sort of applique? Which would be much easier to do... And the triangle thingy that holds her skirt in the middle...looks like strands of rhinestones! Hmmm.....brain wheels are turning on how to make that...

19. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, the filigree pattern doesn't look like embroidery to me, either. And, maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like it's a lightly-flocked velvety applique. I was thinking of using a soft-gray fabric paint to do it. And... isn't there a way to apply a soft kind of flocking to fabric paint? Or a type of paint that dries that way?.... hmmmmmm....

kreleia ^.^

20. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I just got back from the store, and here's what I came up with (Joann's has a great sale today and tomorrow!!):
    • Simplicity #7015 for the skirt
    • McCall's #3184 for the shirt
    • McCall's #3033 for the cape -- this is a great pattern!
    • Thick Velcro shoulder pads to give the shoulders body
    • and finally....Silver paint and a blank stencil template!

For the embroidery/appliques, I decided to create a stencil and apply paint to make the design. I thought this would work out great because it will make the designs look the same, as well as taking less time.

I purchased Design Master floral color paint. It goes on as a metallic silver, and does not make the fabric stiff. And best of all, it is a spray paint, so you add as thick or as light of a coat as you want, without messing up. It is for flowers, silk, or cotton fabrics. I'm going to try it out on some spare fabric tonight just to see, so I'll post later, when I have results! [face_clown]

21. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Woohoo! I finished sewing the top and am almost done with the skirt!!! It actually turned out really nice, so for those of you worrying about the difficulty of making this dress, don't! It is really very simple. And actually, the folds/gathers in the costume make it very easy to hide any mistakes. The only thing I have left to do is make the sash to go around the waist, paint on the emblems, and make the triangle-thingy that she gathers it at the waist with. Oh and the cloak, but that will have to wait until I have a little bit more cash flowing!

The paint worked beautifully, on my scrap fabric! It didn't make the fabric stiff at all! The one thing I will need to be careful with is holding down the stencil...If it isn't held down firmly, the edges of the stencil are fuzzy.

I'll post pics of my final product soon.

22. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    I can't wait to see photos!! I have so much going on right now, I opted to complete Padme's battle costume instead. (I am doing the "attacked" version :)). I will work on this one after the celebration.

23. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    as soon as I have this one finished, I am going to put up a tutorial on my website, showing how I made it. I am really very happy with how it is turning out so far. I was honesty very scared to make it, since I seem to be the only one making it so far!

24. Liv_2CA

Liv_2CA Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Wow! This thread is great! Very helpful! Aack! I don't know if I will have enough time to make it for the movie release! Has anyone actually completed it yet? Also, where can I find pics of this costume for reference?

25. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I have finished my costume. It turned out pretty good, but there are a few things I would do differently(hazards of being the first one to do it!). I took pictures, but I can't post them till I finish out the roll of film.