main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme light blue Tatooine dress/cape

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's a new one:

[image=http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101020429/images/photo_lovers.jpg]

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Great pic ObiDawn! Where did you get it?

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I found it over in the spoiler forum. I have no idea where it came from originally. [face_laugh]

We are all anxiously awaiting your pictures Mrs_M! And, may I be the first around here to congratulate you on finishing your costume! :D

4. Princess_Jain_Lanai

Princess_Jain_Lanai Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2002
    This is my favorite EPII costume! :D I know this part is a bit late but I just found the thread. The costume is a pale ice-like blue. That is why it looks white and blue at different times. My mum told me that's what color it was when we were discussing the costume.

5. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I was sick today, so while I was stuck in bed watching soap operas, I was able to make some minor last minute adjustments by hand. It turned out much better than I expected! I actually made mine out of white stretch cotton, and it drapes very well, although it is too thin. I should have pics up by next week at the latest!

BTW, did you guys notice in the pic that ObiDawn posted she has a second, tighter sleeve underneath her big baggy one? We had discussed that possibility earlier, but never really landed anywhere on it. Now we know! [face_clown]

And knowing is half the battle!

6. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I know I'm going to make this one someday, but I can't see the patterns that were posted :( But..it kind of looks to me that the whole thing could be one piece - it looks as though the cape comes right onto the shoulders and then wraps around.
    I guess I'm a little late now, those who are actually making it would no better.

With the other sleeves, I'd probably just wear a white long sleeved tight T-shirt (kind of like the battle costume) under that.

Put up pics!

7. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Okay, I changed my mind. I think the sleeves and the cape is one piece, and then the hood and the wrappy piece are the same. This post was pointless since people have already made it!

8. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    first of all, here is a new, larger pic of the dress ... shows the shoes...

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_2/Magazines/Film_PL/film_pl-2002may-padme.jpg]

Anyways, on to the real purpose for my post. I was wondering how to make the headpiece for this costume. I have no idea!! Here is what I have been thinking. In these three pics, we can see generally what it looks like.
    [image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Padme/headpiece.jpg?bcrWdH9Ak42RBwbg] [image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Padme/WT_Hair.jpg?bcrWdH9AmIA3t8_E] [image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Padme/paperdoll-drawing.jpg?bcrWdH9A025pWQSh]

How should I make this headpiece and how would you do the hair??? I am at a loss!

I also plan on posting this in the hairstyles thread, but I thought I'd ask here as well, since the info could be helpful to people here too!

9. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Well its now my turn to make this!!

Ive been studying this costume, and it almost looks like the sleeves are part of the cape in the back.

I was thinking of maybe making my own pattern for the top. I dont know how i would make it though... still working on it.

Has anyone successfully made the shirt/cape yet with any store bought patterns?

What about the pants? Anyone?

(Beuller...Beuller..(sp)) hehe

I need to have this costume done in 1 month too.....eek!

But im not gonna make the cloak.

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Samantha, I actually made the whole costume with modified store patterns [face_clown] For the shirt, I used McCalls #3184, which is a wrap shirt. For the cape, I used McCalls #3033.

I made the shirt sleeveles, and minus the collar, and then instead of having it tie in back, I sewed in a bra fastener -- this cuts down on bulk under the cape and helps it to lay right. The only thing that I didn't like about the pattern is that there isn't quite enough fabric bunched in front, like Padme's costume has. If I could do it over(I probably will after the premier) I would make it with a heavier fabric and I wouldn't make the cropped shirt, but just bunch it up higher instead, to add bulk.

The cape was actually the easiest thing I made! I made the big cape/shawl directly from the pattern, and then I just took the front opening and wrapped each side around, under the arm, and put in a seam, to create a "sleeve." That probably doesn't make sense, but until I can get my pictures developed/scanned, and uploaded to my website, that's the best I can explain it. It actually worked really well.

To attach it to the shirt, I sewed the neckline along the back to the neckline of my shirt. Then I put a seam in from the neck to the shoulder to attach them together. Finally, I sewed the underarm of the cape "sleeve" to the armhole of the shirt.

The final prduct turned out great! The only thing I would do differently is use heavier fabric (mine is way too light for the whole costume) and maybe make the cape lined (two layers of fabric sewed together, rather than just the one).

11. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Wow.. out of everything you just wrote.. i only understood what pattern you used..lol

To me, it looks like the cape is part of the sleeve. Im still Debating how to make this....

I was gonna make the shirt with a hood attached..and make regular sleeves... and then under the hood, attach the cape.

As for the skirt... that shouldnt be THAT hard... its alot of gathering....

EDIT: What pattern did you use for the skirt?

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    for the skirt, I used a wrap pattern. Simplicity #7015. But I wouldn't use it if I could do it over. The skirt isn't a wrap skirt after all, like we all originally thought. So I just basically made it without the pattern instead. It's just a simple a-line skirt. And then I made a separate sash to go around the waist and hang down in the front.

13. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Got any pictures?

I think i have an idea how im gonna make the shirt/cape... but im still alittle iffy iffy with the skirt....

pardon the beginnerness...But whats a-line?

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    A-line means it flares out as the skirt goes down the body. It looks like an "A."

I took pics the other day, but I have to get the roll of film developed and scanned, which I anticipate having done this next week. I'll be sure to get the pics up ASAP! [face_clown]

15. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Ahh how obvious...lol

I got the two patterns today....im gonna figure this all out when all this EP2 stuff is over!

16. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Ugh the more and more i look at this, the more and more i believe the sleeves are attached to the cape. Im thinking on making the shirt first..with just regular sleeves.. and then find a way to attach the sleeves to the cape...

Either that or im just gonna make the cape seperate.. and the sleeves seperate.. because that seems easier....

As for the hood....Oy...

Im glad i started this tonight :)

17. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    EDIT: Nevermind.. Im gonna have someone make this for me.. My mom said she would help pay for it :)

18. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    UP!!

Anyone have any new thoughts?

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Can someone else who was at Trisha's presentation confirm this? I thought I heard her say that the hood on this dress went up and is what we see under the hood of the grey cloak. Was I imagining this or did someone else hear this too?

20. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    It makes sense. You can see it under the cloak in some pics.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, it does make sense, but it still poses the question of how it looks so tight around her head and neck.

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/cape/padme_cape_new1.jpg]

Any thoughts?

22. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Well, I was wondering the same thing myself. The one I made doesn't fit tight. It just hangs.

Maybe it buttons or something??

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe it's something really clever, like the fabric that drapes over her shoulders:

[image=http://www.episode-x.com/episode2/gallery/img/oswfc25/oswm4.jpg]

comes up and around her neck and head and fastens together somehow?

I'm totally making this up by the way... :p

24. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    My thoughts exactly.

I just don't even know how to begin to make it work!

25. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I suppose the tightening of the hood could be achieved with some inconspicuously placed hooks and eyes on the underside of the collar.
    Really, it would just come down to putting it on and fiddling with the placement of the closures until it looks right.

Perhaps in the movie we'll see her put up or take down the hood, and then it will all be much clearer...
    Of course, I'm not gonna hold my breath. ;)

-sg