main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme light blue Tatooine dress/cape

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Looks great Samantha :) How do you plan on doing the silver stuff on the dress?

2. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I used fabric paint.. i have no artistic ability what-so-ever so the paint job came out really bad. Oh well.... But the rest of the costume looks great! I'll post pictures sunday night :)

Edit: here...

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi-temple/Costuming/Images/IM000342.jpg]

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi-temple/Costuming/Images/IM000343.jpg]

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi-temple/Costuming/Images/IM000346.jpg]

3. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Looks good Samantha. thanks for the pics :)

4. Tenel_Ka_Djo

Tenel_Ka_Djo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    Hye, I've been looking for the making of this dress since January. Thank God I found this. I've read the messages, but I'm not able to get a look at the Patterns :( I'd like to know if someone would please mail me or post them, or some kind of image of how to do it,... (It's to add I live in Spai...) Thank U :D

5. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks for the pic's of the back, I think your paint job looks fine. Can't wait to see it all done!!

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK! I finally have pics of my costume....

I am trying a new webhost out, since my old one is obviously not working... If these don't work, just pm me for the pics. [face_clown]

[image=http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000032610/1000032610_62200293058PM0.6486867.jpg]
    [image=http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000032610/1000032610_62200293057PM0.3495447.jpg]
    [image=http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000032610/1000032610_62200293058PM0.1182171.jpg]

The hood has since been fixed, but those are the only pics I have!

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    ACK!! The red X of denial!! :_|

Mind sending those pics my way, Mrs. M? My e-mail address is in my profile.

kreleia ^.^

8. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Kreleia, I sent them to you.

I am working on putting a page up on my site, and the pics will be on there, but that could take a couple of days. I'll update when it's up!

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, here they are. Since I obviously can't post a remote image anymore, here is a link to my photo album:

Dana's Tatooine Costume

10. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Everybody's pics look so good that I am now convinced I must make this costume too.

I am going to use the shirt and cape patterns that have been suggested. Anyone have another pattern for the skirt other than Simplicity 7015?

Iycis and I were chatting tonight and she suggested stamping for the designs on the cape. I think I'll look into that and figure the best way to do it.

Any other suggestions from anyone? Any mistakes anyone made that would be good to know about so I can avoid them?

Thanks!
    Calixte

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I cut a pattern out and then used a silk flower fabric paint to apply the design. It worked out very well, because I was able to acheive a uniform design. The only problem I ran into was that the excess paint around the edge of the pattern dripped and splattered a few times at first because I lifted the pattern up too quickly. So I would say that the key is to take your time!!! [face_clown]

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Mrs. M, it turned out so beautiful!!! I'm so excited to get to this dress. :) :) Samantha's looks incredible too - wow!! Okay, you've both given me hope that this costume is (relatively) easy to do. YAY!!

Did either of you use a stencil to do the filigrees (or swirly things - whatever they're called)?

^.^

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Kreleia thanks! I appreciate the compliments. It really wasn't that hard to make. Just make sure you buy enough fabric for the hood!

I actually did use a stencil. Read my last post. I said pattern but I meant stencil! oops! [face_clown]

14. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    It really wasn't that hard to make. Just make sure you buy enough fabric for the hood!

Its not hard at all! It *looks* really hard. But once i had a plan of attack... it turned out to be an easy costume to make!

Now...when i do my Taun We costume.. thats gonna be difficult :)

15. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    I have to agree with the rest of you that this costume is not as hard as I first thought. I've finished cutting out the shirt pattern and sewed the basic shirt together. I have not yet done the facing for the collar or the sleeves. I'm waiting to view Jedi Samantha's instructions on how to do the cape, skirt, etc.

I bought a rayon and polyester blend in a light gray matte jersey that is very soft. So far it's working great and is not see through. Because the main side has a bit of a grain, I'm using the wrong side of the fabric.

BTW, I think the shoes Padme wears with this outfit are actually boots. Maybe the boots she wears with the battle outfit, minus the shin guards?

Thanks again to everyone who's been posting here with their ideas, tips and suggestions. I'm trying to finish this costume in time for the June 22 Shampoo event in Philadelphia.

Calixte

16. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I agree on the boots. I was planning on buying boots for the white battle costume and just using them for this costume as well.

17. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Just so everyone knows, my tutorial thingy will be up by 5pm tonight when my site goes back online :)

18. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    My site is back online now...the tutorial is up. Yay. Links in the sig.

19. Lady-Vader

Lady-Vader Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I need heeeeeeeeeelp!

Ok, it's not THAT urgent, but it SORT of is.

I found this auction now closed at e-bay (curse my luck, I didn't get there in time), and I was wondering if anyone here maybe knew who made the costume and if perhaps they knew the e-mail addy to the person. I'm quite interested in having this costume made for me.

Anyone?

20. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Try using the "ask seller a question" feature, and explain that you saw the outfit, were too late to bid on it, but would like one made for you. The worst they could do is say no, but it never hurts to ask. They may be flattered enough by you taking the time to ask about it that they say yes. :)

21. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I wouldn't reccomend buying that costume, or having them make a duplicate for you. It wasn't the right fabric or color, it didn't hang right, the skirt wasn't long enough and the appliques weren't right either.

All of those things are fine and well, but for the $400 they charged, you are not getting your money's worth.

Heck, I could make you one for less than half that, and it would be a lot more accurate!

I would reccomend looking for a seamstress who will make it for you, rather than wasting a ton of money on a halfawy accurate costume.

EDIT: Please note that I wasn't trying to criticize the maker of that costume. She did an excellent job, but it isn't completely accurate. My only objection to her work is that it isn't worth the $400 someone shelled out, unless it's completely accurate. [face_clown]

22. Lady-Vader

Lady-Vader Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Ok. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Mrs_MayimNaar, I will take your advice and find someone else willing to make the blue outfit more accurately. You're right about the whole thing not having the same materials and being a wee bit over-priced.

As to other dresses, I found another seamstress that made the pastelle dress.

I was able to get a hold of this lady and ask her questions about what material she uses. She said she uses silks and some sort of satin material that flows (forgot the name). No doubt there's some chiffon in there too, but I wouldn't know, not being a sewing genious or anything. She's charging $350 for it, but considering it looks pretty damn good, and detailed, I think I'll go for it. Not to mention she said she'd make it to my measurements... so the dress will be MINE! ALL MINE!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!!!

*Blinks*

Ok, sorry, momentary blip of insanity there. :D

And she wants to make the other dresses as well, so I sent her a line-up of requests (I hope I didn't frighten her away)! LOL!

*Prays she wins the lottery.*

Anyways, there it be. Just wanted to share with ya what was up with costumes and stuff! :)

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Congrats on getting the rainbow dress!

24. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah, I saw that rainbow dress, it's very nice, but very pricy...lol, that's cool that you got it, though.

25. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Hey, I'm getting to the point hwere I'll be putting the design on my dress and I was wondering exactly what shape it is: it looks kind of like a twisted fleur-de-lis (if that makes any sense). I know someone mentioned a similar design in Wingdings...?