main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeAndrea

PadmeAndrea Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2007
    PadmeAndrea order 15 m. :) Thank you.

2. Jocell

Jocell Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2008
    Yay for princessleia911, you've answered my prayers! Put me down for 15 metres please.

3. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    List updated:

1. princessleia911 15 meters
    2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters

Total = 45 meters
    Need 155 meters to avoid $50 surcharge

4. Nani

Nani Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2007
    2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters
    4. Nani 15meters

5. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I've had materials to remake this dress for about 2 years now, and I'm finally getting started. Heh. Bought a bridal 6 hoop skirt on ebay. It came yesterday, so I adjusted it today. Kay_dee had said her measurement of 36 inches seemed a little small, and since I'm taller than she is, and a little more hippy (you're just so darn thin, Kay_dee!) I went with 42 inches.

I'll be dying the fabric this summer in the dye vat on campus. All the fabric will get done at the same time in the same dye bath (after test swatches of course!) so that they all match! So far, I have the velvet, the silk, the flat lining, cording and now the hoop skirt. I still need to get a crinkle lining (thinking of making one myself) and a petticoat material.

Anyway, hoop pictures!

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2490237199_f4a00d3365.jpg]
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2490237299_e95ffd95f0.jpg]

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Your hoop looks like a good size Fenig! I think my farthingale would have been OK if I left it the original size the pattern called for. I mean, it really is nearly the perfect width. But I took the hoops in and made them smaller because it was my first hoop skirt and it just seemed so big to me! If I had to do it again, I'd take a photo of myself in the hoop skirt, scale the picture so I look the same height as Natalie, then compare to see if visually the width looked right :)

7. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    My biggest worry at this point are the hoops themselves. I adjusted the hoops down to a size I like, but where the steel overlaps, the curve isn't as even. It kind of straightens out a bit. I have to wonder if I should turn the hoops around in the casings so the flat part is closer to the front, or try to trim the hoops (which I'm VERY hesitant to do since I can potentially use this for other costumes should I need to).

I like the idea of taking a picture in it and sizing the two images together. I might borrow that. :-D

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, my wire only overlapped by a few inches, so it didn't really flatten out in back. I know it would be more expensive, but if worst came to worst you could buy extra hoop wire and swap out the wires for other costumes? But hoop wire isn't cheap is it!

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Sounds like this method I learned from some friends ;)

http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials/proportioning.php

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Similar to that. Actually, I probably used a similar scaling method to what they show for my original hoop skirt. I think that's why it is pretty close to the correct size (and I shouldn't have made it smaller after the fact. I only took the circumference in a few inches from original size... so I didn't totally ruin it.). But as a double measure, once the hoop skirt is made, you can try it on and overlay a photo of yourself with a photo of the real costume in photoshop. Then adjust your hoops as needed if it's not quite matching up. But you have to take a photo at the same angle as the picture you are referencing. Lucky for this costume they took nice studio shots of Natalie straight on.

11. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    Why O why have I not added my name to the list?

2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters
    4. Nani 15meters
    5. fairyprincess 15 meters

12. Nani

Nani Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2007
    We're at 75m now! 125m more to go!

13. FenigDurak

Dec 6, 2002
    We recently cleaned up the costume storage area at my school. There were literally hundreds of shoes down there! I found a pair of vintage mules that are PERFECT for this costume. They say they're size 11, but since they're from the mid 60s (yeah, they came in a shoe box with the date and everything!), sizes have changed dramatically. They're a current 9 which fits perfectly, and only a 2" heel. I'm going to add a sling back strap so they stay on more securely, replace a few of the sequins, and I'm set!

Two pics, one with flash and one without. Neither show the true color of these shoes. They are the exact color of my sequins. I couldn't have done better if I had made them from scratch myself.

[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2535395750_d03d15bf8e.jpg]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2535395630_51f1a1048a.jpg]

14. Polly_Padme

Polly_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008
    Hey,girls!

This is my first topic in that forum.So,I'am in plainig to create that gown too_Oh,I'am still in thinking about identicate fabric for this dress.I know,that burnout "flame" silk velvet probably used in overcoat.But,what fabric must be in dress under overcoat?

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I've been looking for the precise sort of silk fabric used on the skirt and bodice for some time. Some suggested silk peau de soi, but that texture isn't 100% perfect from what I saw at the exhibit as well as the close up in the DAG book of the fabric.

When I was in LA recently I think I stumbled on the sort of fabric used for the skirt and bodice of this costume. I wanted to get a swatch to scan in for all of you to see, but it was a "Vintage Silk Taffeta" with only about 1-2 yards left of the roll and they would not swatch the vintage fabric because it is one of a kind/rare and there is no way to get more of it. This vintage silk taffeta was not as smooth and tightly woven as all of the modern taffetas I've seen. It was a bit heavier in texture and weight. So, this is possibly the sort of thing used on the real costume and nearly impossible to find.

I do think the best substitutions weight and drape wise seem to be heavy silk satins (don't use lightweight charmeuse silk), silk peau de soi, maybe even regular taffeta. I've even considered one of the Shantung silks at Thai silks. It has a few slubs in it here and there which is not correct, but they are minimal and I also think this fabric could make a nice substitution.

16. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Many big thanks to Kay_Dee!))
    So,I think,that I can get the vintage silk...But,I need some big swatch of it.Kathy,can you send some swatch of vintage silk taffeta by mail?Because,I think,that I can find identicate fabric with swatch...If you can,PM me and I say my full adress.

17. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    If you want that swatch, you'll have to purchase the fabric as, as Kay_dee said "it was a "Vintage Silk Taffeta" with only about 1-2 yards left of the roll and they would not swatch the vintage fabric because it is one of a kind/rare and there is no way to get more of it."

18. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Ok-ok,don't worry.Excuse me,for my very strange questions,because,I'am a beginner costumer,so,I'am very interesting with all kinds of fabrics.So,may be,Kay-Dee can show an only pic of that fabric?..

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    As I said, I can't show a photo of the fabric I found because they would not give me a free sample to take home.

I believe you have been to Padawan's Guide? This is a wonderful close up of the real fabric. http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/purple/dtg3.jpg

I gave a list of different types of silk that are all very close to this. You can find these silks easily online and in fabric stores, but I can't do your shopping for you. You will have to look around and tell us what you find :)

20. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Ok,here is my hunting on costume fabric.Not many,but real close:
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/AA805600x600_thumb.gif]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/RR098600x600_thumb.gif]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/taffeta073.jpg]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/fe81_1.jpg]

Oh,only click on two first pics too see real texture,because they too big and texture in small versions don't see.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, just make sure they are a heavy satin or taffeta. If those are cotton, or charmeuse, or some other sort of thin silk they won't look right.

22. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Oh,Kay_Dee,two upper photos are silk twill and other is silk taffeta.

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, the choice it up to you :) We often ask these companies if they can send us swatches to see in person before we buy the fabric. So you might try to do that, then compare the fabric to all of the pictures you have of the gown to see if you are happy with it. I don't know what else to tell ya!

24. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Two upper fabrics from fashionfabricsclub.com
    I've don't have a chance to took a swatch,because if I order swatches,they will come to me about 3 weeks or 2 months.Europe so strange...))

25. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Even if the fabric is too thin or not quite what you thought it would be, you can still always use that for a first version test. For me and a few others I know, we've found a costume that we love and keep on adding new versions, and each version you attempt, you closer you'll get.

While working on this outfit, try writing notes about how you did it, what patterns you used and how you modified them. Things like those and then when you're working on your second version, research more about the costume and get more ideas for how it was originally made. :)

So if you do believe these fabric choices are good enough, I suggest you get them, however I also suggest buying some yards of some cheap and very plain material and do a muslin, or a complete practice test to prep you for working on the costume. I, myself, don't do muslins, but I know that many of the better costumers do.

Good luck with working on this costume!

~Spacelady

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.