main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Hehe, I figured it out as well. :cool: CHA!

But, at any rate, that neckpiece looks awesome, Kasey! :)

~Spacelady

2. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Thank you, Obi-Dawn, Benae, and Spacelady! :)

I've figured out the individual pieces I need for the headdress and went into town yesterday to see what I could find. I think I'm now ready to start trying out the funfoam for it.

3. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Is the FunFoam hard to use with the bending you're giving it? I can only imagine how easily foam could snap if you bend it too far. :p

~Spacelady

4. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Fun Foam is meant for bending. I think it's nigh-impossible to snap.

5. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    Spacelady -- I haven't had any problems with the fun foam. It's perfect for bendy stuff. JainaMSolo is right. It's about impossible to snap.

6. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Oh, well, that explains it. :p I might have to look into getting some myself...

~Spacelady

7. Astharoshe

Astharoshe Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello,

I've been told about this forum by a friend here, she told me about a group order for Padme's dress, and I'm really interested. But I live in France, is that a problem ?

I read some of the forum's pages, and I think it won't be very expensive, am I wrong ?
    Can I take part of this Group Order ?

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Just to clarify, this is not a group order for a finished dress. It is only a possible group order for fabric to make the outer velvet coat. You would still have to buy all the other fabric and make the dress yourself :)

9. Astharoshe

Nov 14, 2008
    Yes, I knew that :p I just missed a word while typing, I meant padme's dress fabric (the senate gown in blue velvet with sort of leaves effects on it.) Sorry, I'm french, english is not my first language so sometimes I find it hard to explan myself ^^;
    I'd really like to take part to this group order if possible. I didn't find anywhere else the fabric I needed, and I don't want to make the dress/gown/coat/whatever you call it whith a non accurate fabric.

I could very well make her other senate gown which doesn't need special fabric, but the first one is more beautiful, I want to give it a try :)

10. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Astharoshe, just post how many meters you would like to be in for?

11. Astharoshe

Nov 14, 2008
    I think 15 meters would do for me.

12. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    1. princessleia911 15 meters
    2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters
    4. Nani 15 meters
    5. fairyprincess 15 meters
    6. AnariaZar-Rel 15 meters
    7. Polly_Padme 20 meters
    8. darthfett796 15 meters
    9 Astharoshe 15 meters

Pre-ordered so far: 140 meters
    Needed: 200 meters
    Only need 60 meters more so let's keep the word out and the price will be about the same.

13. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    I would like to get in on the order, I'm just not sure how much I would need. I noticed most are getting 15 meters. Is this based on your height and other measurements? I'm 5'1", and built similarly to Portman in the torso area. I have thicker legs then her though. :p Do you guys think 20 would do?

14. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    I am tall and athletic build but I have spoken to a few who have made this dress and they agree that 15-20 meters would be plenty for it.

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh yeah, 20 meters is probably too much actually! But it's good to have extra to do the dye tests, and just in case you mess up on cutting a piece it's also good to have a little extra. I messed up on cutting my skirt portion the first time - thank goodness I had a few extra yards all dyed at the same time so it all matched. I know I posted it at one time in this thread, I think I got about 13-15 yards when I made mine. And that allowed me to do dye tests and totally cut a brand new skirt. I'm 5'6".

16. Astharoshe

Nov 14, 2008
    It seems we're getting close with the ordering. I'm gonna talk about it here and there, since I know three of my friends who are considering making this dress, it could helps cover the 60m left.

17. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    I've been working on this, but have no progress pics to show. Right now I'm working on the sequin/bead triangle on the bodice and the couched cording. While it wasn't a pain to dye the cording, man was it ever hard to untangle afterwards! Even more so with my cat helping. ;)

I have been experimenting with ideas for making the headpiece, but stalled a few weeks ago and haven't gotten back to it yet.

18. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I have an interesting history with this gown. A few years ago I helped a friend with the process of making this costume with the perhaps foolish intention that she would learn to sew via my instruction in the process. Suffice to say, I did most of the work and as time passed it was clear the gown would never be completed. All the fabrics, including over 10 yards of the remaining velvet from the bolt, were left in her possession.

Since then, the thought that I had a history with this gown but never finished it, much less had any proof of my work, has sort of niggled me over the years. So for a time I've been watching this thread and have chewed over the notion of getting some velvet for myself and either making this gown for myself or for someone in my circle who would seriously appreciate it. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea financially in these times, knowing I would be buying fabric for a costume that might never get made. And yet, with this velvet being such a rarity now, I will never have the opportunity if I don't have the velvet to begin with.

So I've decided to take the leap.

Becca, if you would please put me down for 15 meters, I would very much appreciate it. :)

19. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    1. princessleia911 15 meters
    2. PadmeAndrea 15 meters
    3. Jocell 15 meters
    4. Nani 15 meters
    5. fairyprincess 15 meters
    6. AnariaZar-Rel 15 meters
    7. Polly_Padme 20 meters
    8. darthfett796 15 meters
    9. Astharoshe 15 meters
    10. leiayt1300 15 meters

Pre-ordered so far: 155 meters
    Needed: 200 meters
    Only need 45 meters more so let's keep the word out and the price will be about the same.

Beret, I am glad that you have decided to take the plunge. Reminds me to do more Leia stuff(although the Padme has so many more costumes to do) ;)

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh my gosh, that gave me a good chuckle! I can tell you I was an intermediate sewer at best when I started my costume. This was one of the most challenging things I've sewn to date... not a project for someone learning by any means. The velvet coat was where I hit the wall and had to pack it away for a year. I decided to get more practice working with silk velvet by making my Arwen gown and sewing some easier things. Getting the flimsy silk velvet to behave like a structured coat fabric with piped seams... that took some patience and a few tricks!

I know you'll have no problem with it though Beret. It sounds like your own version of this costume is well overdue!

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Beret, it'll be neat to see you in a Padme costume. I always envision you as Leia. :)
    This costume will look lovely on you!

22. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Yeah, it's pretty funny in retrospect. I often wondered why I ever agreed in first place. How silly! :p

Though it's likely I'll make this gown for someone else rather than for myself. It is a very beautiful gown but somehow it doesn't intrigue me as something I might wear; admittedly I have a bit of a hard time envisioning myself - though thanks, ladies, for saying it would look good on me. [face_blush]

Actually I have a close friend who has toyed with the notion of having this gown and I think if she'd let me, I might make it for her someday. If and when I do, I'll be sure to post pics. :)

But Kay_Dee, I consider your gown to be the quintessential recreation. Granted, I've seen many lovely versions but never one to equal yours. You sewed the velvet so beautifully, the silhouette just skims so perfectly - frankly, I think you're very expert when it comes to sewing silk velvet; I only hope I can sew it someday with similar skill. :)

And you're right, Obi-Dawn, I'm a devoted Leia costumer and will remain happily so (one costume left to go - woohoo! - and that's not counting the EU ones I'm planning to do in the near-future). She will never leave me but it's time to expand a bit. So I have indeed chosen a Padme costume that I'd like to try and it's not the Senate gown. It's going to be a bit of time as this particular choice will mean saving up for an embroidery machine (I could do it by hand, but the original was machine-embroidered so it will really only look right done by machine - and it's a fabulous excuse to get an embroidery machine to begin with :D) but I hope to have it done in time for C5.

Until then, I'll leave it up to you ladies to guess which one I chose (although I think I told you, Becca, so mum's the word - it'll be our little secret!). [face_shhh] :D

Btw, Happy New Year, ladies! :)

23. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hmmm, sounds Picnic-y to me, but so far no request for sequins from Beret. :) ;)

Regards,
    M.

24. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    Yes, you did tell me and I am pretty good at keeping a secret ;) Besides, you DO have a Wookiee protecting your back now so I would have to watch myself [face_beatup] if I spilled the beans [face_laugh]

25. Sosobiwan

Sosobiwan Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi and happy new year to everyone,

I am new here on the board, but not new to Star Wars or costuming. I actually made a version of this dress and the headdress earlier, but it was before the movie (E II) even came out and I did not attempt to make en exact copy. This dress is my fave of all Padme's gowns and I almost think that it must be a wink of destiny that I stumbled across this thread by coincidence. The funny part is that I made undergarments for renaissance costumes (corset and farthingale) after I finished the purple dress, wihtout ever thinking that I could use them for this dress.
    So, now I think I'll just have to grab the chance to get some of this fabric and finally take the step to make a good copy. Or to try at least...
    So, please put me on the list for 15 meters. That is, if it is not a problem that I am not in the U.S. but in Norway...

All the best

Sosobiwan

PS: Kay Dee your dress is just incredible! Fantastic job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.