main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    SG- or shall I say SG Skellington? You must treat Halloween like I do--you'd think I were a witch [face_devil]

As far as an underfabric--I feel the underdress should be made of a decent weight fabric to look good with all that rich velvet. After I make the underdress I plan on going from there about the undergarments--A steel hoop would probably be a good idea with some netting to push the hem out a little since the fullness is at the bottom.

FERD :)

2. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I'm sure she had too. Poor Padme'. :( All that heavy fabric in that heat. :( Maybe check wedding dress shops for a hoop skirt or even advice on what assembly to use. The wedding shops might be exspensive though.:(

Padawan Mynn

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    LOL -- I had forgotten about the need for undergarments to make the dress fuller! Luckily I just got married in December, so I already have a perfectly good netting/slip!

All this wedding dress talk has gotten me thinking about my own wedding dress. The dress itself is similar to Padme's underdress, as far as thickness, texture and design go! So, that said, I dug it out of the closet (I'm so bad -- I still need to preserve it) and out of it's garment bag to look it over. Here are my observations that would be helpful in the making of this dress:
    1. The fabric is a very heavy bridal satin. It isn't you typical satin; it's very thick and very silky. I am not a fabric expert, but I know the closest thing you're going to find to it is in the evening/bridal section of the fabric store.
    2. The dress is two layers of fabric sewn together: a lining and the thick satin. The Satin forms a three-four inch hem on the underside of the skirt.
    3. The dress itself has a layer of netting sewn to the underside of the skirt. It helped to fluff the dress out a little on its own, but without the slip it looks a little deflated.
    4. Finally, the beading on my dress gave me a thought regarding how to bead this one. The beads and sequin don't cover my whole dress; they are actually very very similar to the ones on Padme's. The beads and sequins are sewn first onto a separate layer of fabric that was then applied to the dress itself. Does that make sense? This is a good was to keep the beads/sequins uniform.

Anyways, that all said, I'll shut up now! Sorry it was so long! I just had a brainstorm and had to get it out!

It is good to know that I now have something to model the skirt of my costume after!

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I've got a sketch of the beading for the bodice part drawn out. It looks like it is four rows of beads sewn on into the pattern. I'll try and get the sketch up soon. (I'm making a section on the web page I run for this dress :) )

I have an 1860's era hoop skirt. But that is not going to work. The skirt is not that full. So I think I'm going to make a partial frame that will work in the back of the skirt. It looks as if there isn't really anthing in the front that is holding the skirt up.

And I'm getting very frustrated. For the underdress I've found the lining for the sleeves. The color for the inner sleeve, but still not the right color for the dress!! Aggg! Well I'll keep looking.

Ummm and does anyone know what color the sequins on the front are? I haven't the slightest idea. And are those sequins as well on the back part of the outer robes' neck and shoulders?

Mrs. M. I know what you mean about the beads. All except on the sleeves are sewn onto panels that have been attached to the dress. One question tho. Do you think that the front panel on the skirt is just hanging by the waistband or is it actually sewn onto the skirt front?

Ok, now I'm done... ;) Boy that was a long one.

5. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I also saw the dress up close at CII-I was practically hanging over the ropes looking up the sleeves and all over! he he he
    The piping is in a true lavendar...same material as the robe lining. The sequins are indigo (bluish-purple) and purple combined.
    The underdress or bodice/skirt combo are definitely a very nice purple taffeta. I had just spent 4 months with iridescent taffeta all over my house-adn this was the exact same stuff, just a different color. It has a weird sheen to it, and a much stiffer texture than satin-you can see every wrinkle in the light. It is a very hard to dye fabric, so you will want to get as close as possible to the correct color.
    The overcoat is a burnout velvet-and the back piping at the waist is done in a lot of sections to get the waist to be right-that will be a major pain in the rear...
    The headpiece is more of a burnished gold, like the Leia slave bikini...and the headpiece is a hollow frame lined with tiny braids of fake hair, so Nat could have her real hair stored in the hollow part. Her real hair was teased heavily-to give something for the headress to be anchored to with combs or pins so it would not fall off. That is why it is so "nappy" in close pictures. The same thing is done when little old ladies wear "wiglets" to add fullness to their thinning hair.
    I beleive the headpiece is also made of metal and riveted together.
    The sequined piece on the bodice looks to be a separate panel, sewn underneath the bodice.
    Oh-and Obi-Dawn was right-the dress looks so powerful, it is surprising when you see the real thing, and it is so tiny...Nat must be about 5 foot tall and 95 pounds-the shoulders in this dress were so small also!

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes queenseamstress, it is remarkable how teenie tiny this dress is in real life. :)
    I agree about the sequin colors. They did seem to be a mix of indigo blue and purple. Very sparkly and very pretty.
    Just a quick observation about the skirt from watcing it in the film. When she sits down it seems very pliable and soft. I'm not all that familiar with hoop skirts and the logisitcs of sitting in them, but whatever is her underskirt is constructed with seemed very easy to sit down in.

7. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Rather than a hoop skirt, I think she may have worn a netting crinoline-I had one at my wedding, and it gives plenty of fullness without a telltale "ring" around the bottom of the skirt, and do not distort when you sit down...if you don't have one, you could always make one with a pattern-and use lavender netting/bridal mesh to match-in case you have to lift your skirt when climbing steps... :D Has anyone seen a glimpse of a shoe in this dress?

8. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Qs my thoughts exactly, on the slip. The one I wore with my wedding dress was perfect. And Obi-Dawn, if you sit down in one of those it gives that same effect as she has sitting down in hers.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Mrs_M, but I already knew that seeing as how I wore one with my own wedding gown. :p
    I was implying in my last post that Padme is not wearing a 'hoop' skirt because there had been previous discussion of that possibility earlier in this thread.

10. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Yeah, that was why I was questioning the whole hoop skirt thing. When she sits it doesn't flip up like most will. :) But will crinoline be enough to hold up the velvet? Or does the velvet trail on the floor, and that's what keeps it from being so heavy?

11. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    The velvet trails a bit onto the floor in back...the same sort of "puddle" in the EpI pre-senate gown. It is not really all that full...more of a clean drape from the waist back. The back of the robe is very defined at the wasit, and the sleeves pinned to teh back sort of give an illusion of it being more full than it really is...
    Obi-Dawn-I knew you meant the hoop from the earlier discussion...reminds me of an ancient Laverne and Shirley episode...ha ha ha-you gals over 23-24 may remember that episode.
    My aunt had a gorgeous wedding gown my mother in law made...and no matter how many times she told her it wasn't a good idea-she wanted to wear a hoop skirt. Well, needless to say-she had a nice "rim" around the bottom of her dress, about 4 inches from the hemline...really tacky.
    Does anyone have any ideas for shoes if there are no available pics or shots of them?

12. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Yes Ferd, I am Halloween obsessed. It's my absolute favorite day of the year. :) Stitch Witches unite!

On hoops or lack thereof, I was thinking that a single ring of plastic featherweight boning set into an underlayer of a netting crinoline at around knee level might help push the skirt out without causing any seating oddities. Just a thought, though, as this has not been field tested.
    I did also notice in the film that Padme doesn't really "sit" in this dress so much as she sort of "perches" on the edge of her couch. This could be necessitated by her foundation garment.

As for shoes qs the idea that immediately springs to mind is having a pair dyed to match the dress...

-sg

13. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I have to say I'm anti-hoop myself. I was a southern belle for a costume wedding and spent the entire night with my hoop bell "ringing" and hardly being able to fit under the table--very akward. I'm familiar with those wedding gown crinoline's (from my own Big-Day--although it might be dry rotted LOL! :) ) I have built similar things for children- so that's probably the route I will go with this one. I haven't seen the real dress in person, but agree that it is Taffeta (that horrible wretched fabric) I decided to go with the heavy matte satin I found whose color is so nice, becasue mainly those wrinkles and a 6 year old don't mix!! I have found some great sequins I think are the colors you describe, but am going to combine glass rhinestones with it for some more shine and color (Jet AB, Vitrail Med) are really close to the colors you describe.
    Thanks QS- for the piping confirmation! Considering all the yards of it--I want it to look right--so thanks again!
    I will post pics of the materials I chose, so ya'll can tell me what you think.
    :) Ferd
    P.S. In regards to the shoes--for the wee one I'm probably going to make some matching slippers (sort of like Isotoners) and add some sequins and stones. She can't wear heels. But for us big ones--I don't know-maybe a sort of mule dyed to match with embellishments to match the center beading. Kinda like the "glass slipper" in Ever After. I can't see a plain shoe with such a glorious gown.

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    LOL -- Obi-Dawn I forgot I'm not the only newlywed here! haha

I was just agreeing with you on the anti-hoop skirt stance! [face_clown]

BTW Ferd I forgot to mention earlier, I absolutly loved your idea for the headpiece. The cross-stitch hoops are a great idea.

I was also wondering about the possibility of paper-mache or <cough> duct tape? In the Picnic dress thread I noticed someone linked to a tutorial on creating your own dress form using duct tape or paper mache. I read through it and that got me thinking about this headpiece. I thought maybe it might be possible to use the same theory to create a shell for the headpiece.

What do you guys think?

15. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I think that with enough netting in the bottom of the crinoline, it will be fine without any boning or hoop...
    I was thinking along the same lines as Ferd as far as the shoe...but then again, we are both Ever After freaks...ha ha ha
    Ferd-you are right! taffeta is a wretched fabric...shows every pin hole, wrinkles, frays-even the gown at the archive had some wrinkling from the trip to Indy.
    Embroidery hoops are a great idea-they can be embellished to look right-we jsut have to figure out what to use for the pieces going the opposite direction, and what to do about the turn screws...

16. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Yes QS we all need those dreamy slippers in our closet. As far as using plaster of paris or paper mache' I think it would be a little too heavy to wear on your head--especially on an angle. Imagine wearing a pinata around on your head :) As far as the emboidery hoops-you can use the inner (non hinged) hoop and for the lateral parts you can use the flat wooden slats ( near the dowel rods in the craft store)these are flat and would give a slight bend for the cone sort of shape- Or I also found these reeds in the floral dept when I was researching the idea of weaving this "basket" frame. You could glue and then use those short metal tacks to make it appear nailed. Or you could use small wood brads to secure it. I think all these materials are quite light, and would wear well--of course this is all in theory.
    As far as Taffeta--I personally would be have to be held at gunpoint to sew it again!! Too many horrible bridesmaids dresses out of that stuff giving me horrible flashbacks. Usually it's acetate,which is dryclean only and horribly wrinkly. If a drop of water gets on the stuff it water spots--so dying is definatly out of the question. They do have poly taffeta, but personally I feel the colors are not as vibrant as the regular (the only plus to Taffeta is those rich and vibrant colors)
    FERD

17. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I was planning on sticking with satin, and I am going to toss the hoop skirt idea. But I don't agree with you that they are unfortable to wear or handle. It just takes a certain degree of... delicacy. But I have had my skirt flip up and flash bystanders when I was dancing with my partner, he swung me around a bit *too* fast.

For the dress/bodice, what color would you call it? I'm still trying to find the perfect shade.

18. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    This sounds really stupid-but fo ya'll remember the California Raisins? The underskirt and bodice are about the exact same color as they were...not Happy Meal Grimace purple...more of a raisin purple-while the robe is more of a true purple and lavender.
    If you can find any old lithographs or ads with them in it-that is the color-don't everyone jump on Ebay at once!
    Ferd-the reeds were exactly what I was thinking! They could be softened...
    As far as working with taffeta...I used iridescent acetate taffeta before, and I washed it and hung it dry-I had to be creful because of the fraying-but after the sizing was removed, and it had been wet all over, it had such a beautiful drape and solved the water spot problem. It will not dye, but you can solve the water spot problem this way, and since it is not as stiff, it solves a lot of the wrinkles also and drapes a lot better-and it removes the "swish-swish" noise when you walk.
    Horrible to sew-but it is easier to do the vines and sequins on than a more slippery fabric. Double edged sword...when I get around to doing this one...if I can find the right color I'll stick with it.

19. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    QS- You always crack me up! Grimace purple and california raisins- :D I have 1 or 2 of those running around here-they used to battle my smurfs (am I old or what?) LOL! So I would say that is the perfect shade of what I'm calling Midnight Purple. I'll check the name on the bolt of what I got, and see what they call it. You took away the "swish swish" :( of your taffeta? Another great characteristic of that lovely bridesmaid fabric. I agree that taffeta and it's nice stiff texture makes it easy to embroider, but a nice heavy weight satin (peau de soie) takes beading quite well--it's really not flimsy. As far as the reeds--you soak them in water to make them more pliable, right? YEAH!! I'm actually making headway on something. WOO HOO! Finally, a word about hoops--anti-hoop might be a bit strong-I love GWTW and dream of wearing hoops everyday of my life-however, I must say that women today really have a hard time estimating their "hoop girth" as therefore may come off like a bull in a china shop, when they are trying their darndest to be a blushing magnolia. Maybe I just need to go to finishing school :)
    -Ferd

20. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeek! California Raisins!?! Just when I had systematically erased all memory of them, qs brings the nightmare back! ;)

Obi-Dawn and qs, and anyone else who saw this dress in person, would you say the undergown in something like an eggplant color?

-sg

21. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Wow Natalie is that small? Whoa! Well then i'd fit her dress for sure. (Hieght etc. and I'm small but not that 95 Lbs, add 15 more and it's right.) as her i DO eat. :-D ) This padawan can pack it in, espically at Chinese buffets. :)

The wedding dress is a simialr patern or right onb the money? TOo bad you can't dye it, but sicne it's sentimental, i wouldn't. Sometimes good thrift stores have loads of wedding dresses you can snag for a lot cheaper then buying the satin at a store. If it matches in apttern right on, then a few alterations to fit and dying would be somewhat easy. Not to mentiona heck of alot cheaper than buying a bolt of wedding dress weight satin, dying that, then sewing it.

drat now y'all got me wanting to make one fo these dresses and I've NO where to wear it. :-( :)

Padawan Mynn

22. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Actually, only the skirt of my wedding dress is the same. The top is actually a halter, whereas the purple dress appears to be a corset and skirt combo.

LOL -- and you are right! It is too sentimental for me to dye it. Besides, that would take all the fun out of making it!

Fun? What am I saying?? I must be a glutton for punishment. [face_clown]

23. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Ok, I found a color that may work. Eggplant purple. Would you call the dress a cold or a warm purple? I found Casa satin (carried at your local JoAnns) in eggplant. It's a acetate/poly mix I think. I'd have to check again. And it's 7.99 a yard. But use one of your 40% offs and it's not a problem. :)

I've also got a pattern I'm going to use for the dress/bodice. Pattern 9466. And simplicity patterns at JoAnns are only 1.99 right now! (Geeze listen to my advertising. :p )

Now all I need to do is find the right color beads! And decide what size to make this dress. As I am planning on selling it and not wearing it (I know it takes out all of the fun, but I desperatly need cash :p )

24. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002

I would make it in a size 9/10 or 11/12. All Padme costumes I have seen sold on Ebay are from a size 5 to an 8. There are a lot of girls who want to dress like a princess who actually eat.
    If you are listing it on an auction site when you are done, do not hem the skirt-wait until you have a winner, and have them email you the length from their natural waist to the floor so it will not drag or be too short. :D
    Funny you should mention casa satin from Joann's. My wedding dress was a renaissance ivory brocade with Joann's casa satin in antique gold lining the belled sleeves and in the underskirt, with gold grommets and gold ribbon and trim. My bridesmaids were all in antique gold and black casa satin renn dresses and headpieces. It is a very silky slippery fabric, but it has a beautiful drape and feel...it will be nice in eggplant.

25. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Yeah I am thinking it will work. And thanks for that info on the size. :) I think I'll make it for my sister (who is an 11). I think that she'll really enchance the outfit. :) She has this fabulous roman nose (it looks realy pretty on her) and it would be neat to see her wearing the headpiece. How much do you think that I could get for it?

(Also, I bet your wedding dresses and bridesmaids were gorgeous!) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.