Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, here is the best way I've found to scale something: use the head. Let me explain...

Let's use this picture as an example, because it is the best side view that I have been able to find.
    1. In the picture, measure the height of her face, from hairline to chin; we will call this measurement "one length." Now you will use that measurement as a guide for how to construct the entire headpiece.
    2. Now, apply that measurement to the headpiece in the picture; it is almost exactly one length from the base of her headpiece to the narrowest part, near the top. Also, the base looks to have a diameter that is just slightly smaller than one length. and on and on....
    3. To transfer this to Sydney's scale, measure Sydney's face from chin to hairline. This will be your "one length" for construction. Now, use the measurements you took off the picture, and apply them to Sydney's hairpiece.

Does this make sense? We used this technique for doing still life in art (only with a pencil and your naked eye as your measuring device!). I can't think of any better way to describe it...

Hope I was able to help some way! [face_clown]
  2. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    MrsMayim Thanks so much! :) I did kinda use that method when measuring the pictures for our "original draft" and then just scaled it down a bit for Syd. Of course, then once it's on her head it just is quite a monstrocity of a piece. I have used the lightest materials I can find, and it still has a bit of weight to it. We have cut it down by about an inch and it looks much better, and I think will wear better. Now just that top swirl...Hmmmmmm.....still hammering out that part. I'll post pics ASAP, I promise :) Thanks again for your help! Ferd
  3. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi there ya'll. I just posted another update on my Senate dress journal --there are some pictures of the progress I've made on the headpiece. Check it out and let me know what you think. :) Ferd

Purple Dress Progress
  4. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ferd, just got home from a very long weekend with very little sleep, so I won't comment much more than to say this: EXCELLENT work on the headpiece! It looks great!!!
  5. _Madeleine_ Jedi Knight

star 3

FERDALUMP,

The dress looks really beautiful!

I'm just about getting started with this dress, and reading through this thread is really helpful :)
  6. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just added a few more pics for your viewing pleasure :)

Click Me

More to come very, very soon :) Ferd
  7. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    "Lookin good, Mr. Cot-ter!"

Sorry....I can't get Friends quotes out of my head lately....

Anyways, looks good FERD!
  8. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks so much for the pics, I love to see 'works in progress'

~H~
  9. Luinromenwin Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone, I'm new here. *waves*

I am in extreme desparation for a patter for this dress and I was wondering if anyone had one besides the starting one from Simplicity? I've found someone who can make this dress for me and we have actually found some great material but we really need a pattern. So if anyone could help me out, I would be eternally grateful.
    :)
  10. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    guess who found the rippled silk velvet in deep purple in a store here for .. umm $US15/m;)?

I wonder if it is the fabric used as in the same area there were a pile of pvc covered lycra labeled "ex-Sydney Olympics".. ie that they got a bundle of fabrics from Sydney which included ex film bolts.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Oh no I didn't buy any as I've already sunk far too much money in my Black Diamonds costume to begin an expensive project like this;)

I had just spent $US50 on beaded fringe in that store;) on top of the rhinestone trim... eep.

But after that lovely shot of the sleeves I must admit this one is probably going to be top of my "wanna make a SW costume" list;)
  11. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    YEAH!!!! :) :) :)
    Sydney's costume is done...finally!
    I am dazed and confused, tired but pumped up on caffeine and still not totally in love with it, but it is done. Hallelujah.

**My other website is down until Nov 1st (too many hits this month) so for the meantime you'll have to see pics here (please be patient--they take a minute to load)

Senator Sydney's Dress

Oh, I must say that little "Sydney Woo" is a real trooper. We live in Florida and it was 90 degrees today and she was in full velvet!

Ferd :)
  12. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, that is gorgeous! She looks so adorable!
  13. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    FERD, beautiful work!!

Of course, coming from you, I wouldn't expect anything less!
  14. rvqavalon Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's absolutely wonderful, Ferd! She's adorable, and the dress is beautiful.

Kate
  15. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Bravo! It looks beautiful!
  16. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah FERD!!!!! That dress is *so* unbelievably gorgeous! You did an *amazing* job! Congrats!!!
  17. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
  18. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for the kind words :) Glad ya'll like it! :)
    She had a good time wearing iit on Sat, and we can't wait until Thursday.. She gets to wear it to her school and her little "boyfriend" is going as Boba Fett, Too Cute!

Ferd
  19. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    hello, I make customs for my 12" Padme doll, and I would like to attempt this project as my final and first HUGE project (I mean for the beading work and for since there is a lot of sewing)
    I have a fairly good idea for the whole outfit, but have not a damn idea for the headpiece...I want to be very easily removable ...without messing or cutting or doing whatever bad to the doll's hair...do you have any idea for what material to use ??

20. ladystar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gorgeous dress Ferd, she's adorable!!
  21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    FERD, it's amazing! :D You continue to outdo yourself, girl!
  22. _Madeleine_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I took some pictures of my unfinished dress with my web cam:

click

:D

Oh, forgot to say: What a beautiful dress Ferd! The headpiece looks really good! :)
    I'm too scared to even start working on a headpiece to my costume...
  23. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Great job, Ferd! Your niece will be the belle of every ball this Halloween!

_Madeleine_, looks like your dress is coming right along! It's hard to see a lot of detail in your pics, but that detailing on the front sure does sparkle!

-sg
  24. _Madeleine_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've tried to add some photos that might be more detailed, but instead they got so dark. I'll have to take some more pics of the dress tomorrow in daylight :)
    And when I'm finished with the dress, I'm going to take some pictures with a real camera :)
  25. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, I may be a little behind, lol, but here's a great picture for anyone still trying to determine what fabric to purchase for the outer part of this coat:

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/celebration_purple/images/i_purple.jpg

You've probably seen it before, but I just thought I'd post it to let you guys know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.