main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme suspected of cheating on Anakin w/Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by dehrian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    From the mind of Shikoma.

QUESTION: Is Anakin suspicious that Obi-Wan is the father of Padme?s baby?

Possible reasons:

1. Anakin cannot detect the presence of his own child when Padme tells him that she is pregnant.

2. In the book version of ROTS, Palpatine tells Anakin that Obi-Wan has been seen visiting/leaving a certain Senator?s apartment at ?unseemly? times. Anakin goes back to Padme?s apartment and senses that Obi-Wan has been there and that he and Padme have been sitting together on the couch?too closely for just friends. He asks Padme why Obi-Wan was over there and what did he want...

3. In one of Anakin?s premonitions his sees Padme asking Obi-Wan to help her...during her pregnancy?a bedside position that is taken by a father?

4. When he sees Obi-Wan at the top of the ramp at the end of the movie, he yells at Padme, "YOU'RE WITH HIM! YOU BROUGHT HIM HERE TO DESTROY ME!.? This could easily be interpreted as, ?You?re with him. He?s the father of your child. You brought him here to destroy me?so that the two of you can be together.? What other reason could there be to force-choke Padme?

All this seems to show evidence that only Anakin believes Padme cheated on him with Obi-Wan, but everyone else knows the truth...that Anakin is the father. But it does provide an interesting aspect into Anakin's paranoid and deranged mind as he goes to the dark side...and as he believes that those closest to him are betraying him.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The cursed love triangle theory.

Anakin suspects something, but not sure if it's love.
    Maybe he thinks Padme is part of the Jedi betrayal of the Senate and the Republic.

3. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    People seem to be very dismissive of any mention of the love triangle.
    The fact is, there is a quote in the Making of Book in which Hayden explains that he understood it to be an importand strand running through EP III - that Ani suspected Obi of having a relationship with Padmé.
    Makes sense to me that, Ani's POV becomes so warped that he becomes paranoid to this extent...

4. Shikoma

Shikoma Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2005
    It's a perfect reason for going to the dark side. Your best friend/mentor is banging your wife...

5. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
  6. walrus

walrus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    I doubt Anakin thought Obi Wan was Padme's lover. He didn't like the idea of Obi Wan meeting Padme without his presence, because that leads him to think that Obi Wan doesn't trust him.

7. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    As Yoda says - attachment leads to jealousy.

I think Anakin was jealous of Padmes respect for Obi Wan and at times thought it went further.

8. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    A relationship, yes. The baby being Obi-Wan's, no. I'm sure that after Anakin found out about the baby he sensed that it was his child.

9. iKillBabyJedis

iKillBabyJedis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Its like the Evil Monkey that lives in the Closet from the Family Guy.

He was once a very nice Monkey till he came home early from work and found his wife banging another Monkey.

Then he became a very very Evil Monkey.

I like it I think it works in this context as well.

[face_mischief]

10. KirinQ

KirinQ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 1999
    I'm just SO incredibly glad that, if there is any jealousy in Anakin, it's baseless and partly a product of Palpatine's attempts to get Obi-Wan out of Anakin's life (in the novel at least). :p I seem to remember a whoooole lot of "Love Triangle" plot guesses that said that a REAL one would be why Anakin turned. Ewwwwww.

11. iKillBabyJedis

May 29, 2005
    I think a Mace Windu Love triangle with Padme and Anakin woudl be better suited.

I mean come on we all know Padme had the Jungle Fever, she would of been all over Mace.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    1. Anakin cannot detect the presence of his own child when Padme tells him that she is pregnant.

Where is this stated? Eu stories aside, there's no proof that a Jedi or a Sith can sense a child or two. Anakin didn't know because he wasn't using the Force. Obi-wan did because he sensed Padme's fear for their child. Not to mention, she wasn't doing that good a job hiding it that afternoon.

2. In the book version of ROTS, Palpatine tells Anakin that Obi-Wan has been seen visiting/leaving a certain Senator?s apartment at ?unseemly? times. Anakin goes back to Padme?s apartment and senses that Obi-Wan has been there and that he and Padme have been sitting together on the couch?too closely for just friends. He asks Padme why Obi-Wan was over there and what did he want...

Then you know the rest of the story. Padme tells him that there's no way Obi-wan would have time with her, because Anakin's always leaving in the morning to see him. And that he realizes that he was foolish for thinking that. It was all to set up the meeting with Palpatine later.

3. In one of Anakin?s premonitions his sees Padme asking Obi-Wan to help her...during her pregnancy?a bedside position that is taken by a father?

Possible, but he also knew that Anakin himself wasn't there.

4. When he sees Obi-Wan at the top of the ramp at the end of the movie, he yells at Padme, "YOU'RE WITH HIM! YOU BROUGHT HIM HERE TO DESTROY ME!.? This could easily be interpreted as, ?You?re with him. He?s the father of your child. You brought him here to destroy me?so that the two of you can be together.? What other reason could there be to force-choke Padme?

Read the dialogue. He's thinking that Obi-wan brain washed her into leading him there. As Obi-wan points out, he turned her against him. Not the other way around.

Anakin: "You turned her against me!"

Obi-wan: "You did that yourself."

13. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    this kinda of stuff will drive ANY MAN to the darkside...or to drinking...death (suicidal or homicidal)

Either one of these, all, or a combination of the latter***
    Your best friend not only is sleeping with your wife...having a baby as well..but also WANTS to Kill you REALLY BAD...

After reading this thread...man George does a good job of leaving all of this floating around for endless speculation...although we all know the truth but to someone whom may have never seen any of the latter films (Star Wars through ROTJ) episodes..or have seen them all..you would think something would be going on...

btw..derian is a lazy mod :D (just kidding)

Shadojoker

14. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I think ObiWan is really the father. The whole star wars story is all messed up now.

VADER: "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father"

LUKE: "He told me enough, he told me you killed him"

VADER: "No! ObiWan, is your father"

LUKE: "What the heck?"

VADER: "HAHAHA" Slashes off Lukes head "Yipee"

15. EXO

EXO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    dehrian please read your PMs :)

16. iKillBabyJedis

May 29, 2005
    Anakins one Evil Monkey.

17. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Now I could understand a man going to the darkside because of that. In the book it did seem like that is what Palps was trying to hint at. But seriously I know Anakin isnt the sharpest tool in the box but if he really thought that when would Obi Wan have the time? He's been gone 5months with Anakin when he is back he spends all his time at the temple and Anakin is the one banging Padme. How many scenes did Obi and Padme have alone, 3? He must be one of those wham bam thank you mam guys. If thats what Anakin thought I can really understand his actions now.

18. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Interesting, but I think if Lucas wanted to take that route he would have made it a bit more obvious. Yes, in the novel there's a very small part where Anakin thinks that Obi-Wan may be having a relationship with Padme, but it goes no further than that.

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I like that Lucas barely hinted at it. It was just one more thing to push him over the edge and not too over the top. I don't think Anakin suspected a flat out relationship.

He just doesn't like hearing Padme with her "We should go to Obi-Wan," "Obi-Wan was right about you" etc. etc.

That will trigger a jealousy response real quick in most guys. It doesn't mean he suspects a relationship. I thought it came off in the movie very well.

20. -Commander_Cody-

-Commander_Cody- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 17, 2005
    wow, could be possible. Im sure something about cheating is involved but I fail to see how it's the whole cause of it. Base line is Padme loves Anakin, and Obi-wan comes along with her when she leaves for Anakin.

21. iKillBabyJedis

May 29, 2005
    "mehh... I'd Hit It!" -ObiWan

22. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Mentally not the sharpest knife in the drawer, still, I don't think Anakin suspects that Obi-Wan was romantically involved with Padme. For one thing, Anakin and Obi-Wan have spent all their off-Coruscant time together. When they are on planet, Anakin stays with Padme.

However, as Aankin moves further away from the Jedi order and the Republic, towards Palpatine and the Empire, he naturally wants to make sure his devoted wife will follow. His jealousy stems from the fact that ideologically, he suspects Padme and Obi-Wan are on the same page. Which they were, to some extent.

23. MovieTrailerMusic_

MovieTrailerMusic_ Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    they should go on jerry jerry jerry.

24. FrAnKi_911

FrAnKi_911 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
  25. SabeForQueen

SabeForQueen Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    Oooh, I agree, Kiki-Gonn. Anakin just resents the very idea of Padme's respect/trust in Obi-Wan over him (Obi's implied ability to smooth things over w/the marraige vs. Ani's; Obi's superior understanding of the Mustafar situation vs. Ani's). I mean, Obi Wan has been his master for a very long time, is well respected by the Council, and respected by Anakin himself...
    I think Anakin definitely has some resentment about that becoz he doesn't get too much respect except from Palp. Like people have stated elsewhere, Obi Wan is in many ways Mr. Jedi. Anakin is the Flawed Jedi (and he knows this himself: Aotc confession, Rots Dooku beheading, Rots "I want more, know I shouldn't").
    I think it's clear that one of the reasons Darth Vader was moved to turn back to the Good Side in RotJ is that his son calls him a Jedi proudly, holding him up as an example strong enough and noble enough to defeat the Emperor's evil. Luke gives him trust, respect, and belief (not to mention love)... Padme does to an extent but Luke doesn't mention Obi Wan!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.