main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme suspected of cheating on Anakin w/Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by dehrian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005
    I don't think it matters much whether Obi "fell" for Padme or not in turning Anakin, the point is that Anakin is so possessive and jealous that he twists everything around to see what he wants...he LOOKS for reasons to mistrust. Those emotions caused the turn, justified or not.

One thing to note is that lines in books and movies are almost never written without a specific reason. Thus it would be pretty pointless to keep bringing up attachment and especially jealousy as problems, "just because." They are stated time and again because we as the audience are supposed to make a note of this.

True, the romantic jealousy is not overexaggerated and is certainly not the only driving factor, but it's there in several statements, actions, and expressions. The book makes a bigger point of it, too. On route back from the Outer Rim sieges Anakin senses Padme is distant and preoccupied, and immediately begins to assume/fear someone is coming between them. (She's really preoccupied with the pregnancy.) Upon his return, he squeezes her shoulders with enough vehemence to hurt her while insisting on knowing "who" has come between them.

2. BuriedAlien

BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Taking this angle better explains Anakin's turn, but it ruins Obi-Wan's character and his essential contrast with Anakin. Aside from Yoda himself, Obi-Wan is the model Jedi: no romantic attachments means no romantic attachments. If Obi-Wan had experienced a romantic relationship with Padme, how different would he have been from Anakin? Moreover, it doesn't speak well of the Jedi Order if *two* of its most illustrious members had this weakness that caused them to compromise one of the Order's most crucial doctrines.

3. YARN

YARN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    It would really confuse the heck out of Luke if in ROTJ he confronted the ghost of Obi Wan only to hear him say "NO, actually I am your father. I just didn't want to pay child support".

4. Shikoma

Shikoma Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2005
    There are 3 statements by Anakin (at the end of the movie) that are very ambiguous and can take many different meanings:

1. "You're with him!"
    2. "You brought him here to kill me!"
    3. "You will not take her from me!"

The could mean that he thinks Obi-Wan and Padme are together in a plot to kill him and then they can be together (together romantically or not.)

And Anakin also seems to believe that Obi-Wan wants to take Padme from him...for some reason that is not very clear....

5. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    He means "taking her from me" as in
    "turning her against him".

6. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "He means "taking her from me" as in
    "turning her against him".

Exactly. Padme became more of a possession than true love for
    Anakin and statements like that show it.

7. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    The sexual implication made by Palps is something that bothers Anakin, but not because he thinks its true but because it hurts his pride to think that anyone may think that his wife would prefer Obi-Wan to him. It's also a seed of doubt that is planted in his mind against Obi-Wan not Padme. He doesnt want Obi-Wan around Padme any longer, not because of sex but because he doesnt want her to depend on anyone but himself, especially Obi-Wan.

Everything with Anakin is about ego. He wants Padme because she is a status symbol bec of her beauty as well as the power she represents. Just like he wanted to be a Jedi not because he was dedicated to the religion but because of the power and prestige it brought.

He's jealous of Obi-Wan not because of Padme; he sees Obi-Wan is held in higher regard by the council and the other Jedi, he's a better Jedi than Anakin, and now Padme is making it clear that she thinks he should go to Obi-Wan for advice and seek his help with their situation infering that she thinks Obi-Wan can do something better than Anakin can.

8. pl_renoch

pl_renoch Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    The thread is a great example of why many consider Star Wars a "Space Opera." It has action, drama (love, hate, betrayal, suspicion, and uncertainty), etc.--Just like a mid-day soap. ?Luke?I am your father!?

The truth is the writers (including GL) may not have even considered this line of thought, but it is certainly intriguing.

P.S. I am irritated that ROTS has been over-take in the box office by Madagascar and the longest Yard recently. Everyone?back to the theaters to let GL know we ant more. Keep in mind the more successful ROTS; the more likely Fox will pressure GL or LFL into making another Star Wars movie.

9. Starshine

Starshine Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Obi-Can, it is an intresting point of view and I agree with that.
    Anakin's ego is wounded and that makes him think about things he maybe wouldn't do.
    I don't think those sentences like:

1."You are with him!"
    2."You will not take her from me!"

are somehow connected with Obi-Wan actually sleeping with Padme.

10. Shikoma

May 30, 2005
    from Jedi-Queen: ...Padme became more of a possession than true love for
    Anakin...[i/]

So if Padme is more of a possession to Anakin, than why would Anakin want to kill Padme (force-choke her)??? He just went to the dark side to save her from death. I can't imagine he would want to kill Padme because he thinks Padme brought Obi-Wan to kill Anakin.

I think he's so possessive of Padme that he can't stand to see her with anyone else (Obi-Wan); so he'd rather kill her.

11. Shikoma

May 30, 2005
    Caption of this picture?

Padme to Obi-Wan: ?I?m haunted by the kiss that you should not have given me.?

http://padawansguide.com/padme3/robe/wd96.jpg

hmmm????

12. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    Shikoma, if someone is overly possessive about someone wouldn't
    that make the person they're possessive about akin to being
    their possession? lol
    I fail to see the difference if you were trying to make a pt.
    Of course he choked her, he was losing his possession and it
    made him angry. He may have truly loved her, but at some pt.
    that love became twisted, obsessive and possessive.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This thread is hilarious.. ;)

Anakin loves Padme, went to the dark side to save her. Went crazy with the dark side and Force choked her. He isn't jealous of Obi-Wan's abilities or the fact that the possiblity of Obi-Wan sleeping with Padme is there. He's just went to the dark side for her and now she's backing out of the Empire he's created (basically for her) in his madness. After he did it all for her. Obi-Wan is just the little gnat that keeps coming up when he talks to her. By Mustafar, Anakin has gone mad with power because it isn't who he truly is. when he wakes up, it's like he's coming back down from a bad high or really bad drinking binge.

14. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    I think Anakin's capable of believing anything in his madness, no matter how ridiculous. Reason does not seem to be his strong suit at the best of times.

I also don't buy that Anakin went to the darkside for Padme. He tells himself a lot of things to justify his actions, but at the end of the day he went for himself, IMO, Because he could not "live without her" and because he lusts power. His saying in ROTS that he did it for her, doesn't make it so.

15. Eron_Darkestar

Eron_Darkestar Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    I think Obi-Can hit the nail on the head when she highlight Anakin's arrogance and pridefulness. If he was willing to do anything to save Padme why NOT go to Obi-Wan? I mean surely turning to the darkside is a more drastic step than asking your Master for help. The Darkside does not twist Anakin, it just brings to the fore that which he hides within himself. When Dooku sensed fear, anger and hatred in Anakin he wasnt referring to things yet to develop but things nestling within Anakin's soul. Judging from the way he screamed 'I hate you' at Obi-Wan Kenobi I think part of Anakin has always disliked Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan was one of those who viewed him as dangerous and one in AOTC he constantly moans about how Obi-Wan puts him down and how he keeps him from progressing. Obi-Wan is respected, wise, and people look to him to restrain Anakin. Anakin is well aware of this and evidently dislikes it. Skywalker resents Obi-Wan for being a better Jedi than him and his reaction to the vision he has of Obi-Wan comforting the dying Padme illustrates this. He takes it as a personal affront that Padme has been speaking to Obi-Wan. The possibility that 'he knows?' seems to make him very angry. Not because he's going to run off to the Council, Padme's smiles show that he wont, but because its Obi-Wan of all people. Anakin wants to prove to Padme that he can save her...all by himself. The fact that she might be willing to go to Obi-Wan for help is for him a personal attack. Its equivalent to her saying 'I dont believe in you'. Never mind that SHE is the one who's supposed to die. I mean doesnt she have the right to go to whoever she wants when its her life at stake? Why be angry that it might be Obi-Wan who saves Padme and not you if not for the fact that 'the shadow of greed' covers your so-called love for your wife.

In a battle Anakin is awesome, I love the way he hacks down droids and blows away enemy craft but the rest of the time he's pretty much an undesirable fellow. It seemed to me that he would rather his wife died (and her unborn with her) rather than seek help from Obi-Wan. Anakin does not turn to evil because he's desperate. If he were desperate he wouldn't have given two ticks about getting kicked off the Jedi Council and run to them for help. He would've been in the library combing the archives seeking a solution. However, he wasnt desperate he was just jealous. Jealous of the Jedi and angry at being 'excluded', envious of Obi-Wan's reputation, hungry and lustful for power and prestige. I had hoped that Anakin might truly display love for Padme in this film but his actions clearly show that though he had strong feelings for her, he didnt love her. I mean to think your wife is supposedly going to die soon and you're complaining to her that you're not the Jedi you should be? Hello, dont you want to spend time with her before she breathes her last? Dont you think your career prospects can take a backseat for now bub? If he truly couldnt live without her he would've risked expulsion from the Jedi to save her and he wouldnt have spent 20 years walking around strapped to a life support machine strangling his liuetenants!

Anakin loved someone more than Padme: Anakin. He hated the thought that he might be publicly denounced for being married because status meant so much to him so instead he murdered the Jedi and tried to paint himself as the hero, peace bringer to cover it up.

Nonsense.

16. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    Padme didn´t cheat on Anakin and unfortunately, as it
    turned out, she didn´t cheat death either.
    Cheat happens!

17. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    Padme was little doorknob wasn't she I heard palpy got a turn and now Obi-Wan i wondered if anybody in the clone army got a turn with her to.

18. Mothman_

Mothman_ Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Anakins falling to the dark side makes him suspicious of nearly everyone and everything and paranoid on top of that, its implied and obvious, to surmise that this is a result of some love triangle is absurd, and another example of people who really arent "good" StarWars fans asking redundant and irrelevant questions its akin to monday morning quartebacks...

19. Shikoma

May 30, 2005
    Obi-Can and Eron-Darkestar both hit on an excellent idea: That Anakin cares more about Anakin than anyone else.

But why at then end of the movie does he ask about Padme? Is she all right? Is she safe? And when he finds out that she is dead, why does he say, "NOOO!" seemingly in anguish?

Is it because Anakin's more upset at his own failure to save Padme than he is upset at her being dead?

Is Anakin once again more concerned about how Anakin succeeded/failed than what happened to anyone else?

It still seems as though the MAIN reason Anakin went to the darkside was to gain the power to save Padme, not JUST to gain power. Anakin was pretty set against the Sith until Sidious told him about the power to save people. And Anakin was dead set that no one close to him would die again after the death of his mother.

Yes, Anakin views Padme's seeking of Obi-Wan's help as the most grievous insult to Anakin, but Anakin's MAIN motives seem to be devoted towards, and for, Padme.

That's why her closeness to Obi-Wan is the greatest betrayal (in his mind) - closeness that he may or may not have suspected as a romantic in nature.

There may be one thing that Anakin loves more than anything else, but it?s not Anakin. It?s CONTROL.

20. catmistake

catmistake Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    One of the places Lucas made me wrong was that I assumed at some point Padme was going to shack up with the King of Alderan (as Leia believes her he is her father). Lucas explains it reasonably well... but I think it would have been a better forcing to the dark side for Anniken if she just left him... and was a total bitch about it.

21. Admiral_AckBas

Admiral_AckBas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    This thread is amazing. It's so clear to me. Obi-Wan has no romantic interests in Padme nor vice-versa, and the only thing Anakin suspects Obi-Wan of is setting Padme up to betray him, like everyone (in his mind) has. I don't see how this is debatable enough to warrant a multi-page thread.

22. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "I don't see how this is debatable enough to warrant a multi-page thread. "

Me neither. Maybe some people want there to be a romantic
    connection. If you do a search on the web you'd be surprised
    how many Padme/Obi-Wan romance pages come up.
    People will see whatever they want to see, but no, there is
    not a romantic connection b/w Obi/Padme.

23. Shikoma

May 30, 2005
    Shame on you Admiral AckBas & JediQueen! The reason for the discussion is that there are several opposing arguments (I?ve listed the main ones).

1. Anakin wants to kill Padme because he thinks she betrayed him w/Obi-Wan in a romantic relationship.

2. Anakin wants to kill Padme because he thinks she betrayed him w/Obi-Wan in a trusting (non-romantic) relationship.

3. Anakin is torn between wanting to kill Padme and not wanting to kill her because he?s so possessive of her. Force choke ON. Force choke OFF. Can?t decide! So confused!

4. Anakin wants to kill Padme because he couldn?t care less about anyone or anything other than himself. He just wants to kill her, and baby Jedis, and Obi-Wan too! DIE! DIE!

5. Padme & Obi-Wan actually are in a romantic relationship and have tricked EVERYONE into believing Anakin is the bad guy. (GASP!)

24. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    """"1. Anakin wants to kill Padme because he thinks she betrayed him w/Obi-Wan in a romantic relationship.

2. Anakin wants to kill Padme because he thinks she betrayed him w/Obi-Wan in a trusting (non-romantic) relationship.

3. Anakin is torn between wanting to kill Padme and not wanting to kill her because he?s so possessive of her. Force choke ON. Force choke OFF. Can?t decide! So confused!

4. Anakin wants to kill Padme because he couldn?t care less about anyone or anything other than himself. He just wants to kill her, and baby Jedis, and Obi-Wan too! DIE! DIE!

5. Padme & Obi-Wan actually are in a romantic relationship and have tricked EVERYONE into believing Anakin is the bad guy. (GASP!)"""""

i think number 2 is the relistic one.

25. Obi-Wan-Potato

Obi-Wan-Potato Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    Actually, I always thought that Obi-Wans confident pose in the opening of Padmes ship on Mustafar (when Anakin suddenly spots him) has a strong signal of:
    "Yeah, that's right. I * her alright! Now, what are you gonna to about it?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.