main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme & The Execution Scene

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Before Anakin and Padme enter the execution arena, Padme is all like "I'm not afraid to die, we're gonna die, etc" and then when she's about to be chained up to the pole she takes out her little lock pick and it seems like she had already planned to escape.

So why does she say what she says earlier? The only thing I can come up with is that it was the best time to tell Anakin that she loves him. She says "I truly, deeply love you and before we die I want you to know" so it seems like she found a good time to tell him how she truly feels rather than admitting it to him back on Naboo or anytime before.

2. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    Keep in mind that even though she escaped from her chains, there really wasn't anywhere she could go. I imagine she felt her death was inevitable but didn't want to go down without a fight.

3. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I agree with the above poster. She still believed that she would die in the arena, but wasn't going to sit around on her chain and give the spectators the satisfaction of her just allowing the Nexu to rip her to shreds. She wanted to make it work for its meal.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Good point, but she has two Jedi with her. Her chances of survival were good. :p

5. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Alot of people aren't afraid to die, but if they have the chance not to, they're gonna try to live!

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    JaziB, what the hell are you doing on the film boards?! You've never seen SW! The world is ending!

EDIT: Padmé isn't afraid to die because she's seen the OT and knows she has yet to give birth to Luke and Leia, so she's clear.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I guess you also missed my VERY LARGE thread I made in CT a while back (which I upped yesterday):

http://boards.theforce.net/Classic_Trilogy/b10002/18173979/?229

Padmé isn't afraid to die because she's seen the OT and knows she has yet to give birth to Luke and Leia, so she's clear.

Interesting, but that still doesn't explain why she "pretends" to be so depressed initially! :p

You've never seen SW!

Hey hey, I'm not Ossy ok? Let's not say things we can't take back.

8. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Somehow or another, this contradiction in the story is a testament to the unspeakable genius of George Lucas.

9. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    What I hated was the fact that we had no idea that they were going to get executed when she confessed her love, all we see is them standing in some little round thingy with their hands bound, then all of a sudden we get this line, "...and before we die I want you to know."
    What the hell? Who's dying, what, whaaa??

10. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Even though she had two Jedi, technically on of them is still a padawan, she is Padme is still trapped in a large arena surrounded by thousands of Geonosions who want her dead. Dooku obviously wants her dead and won't hesitate to use his battle droids to end her life. I would say that she pretty much knew that she would die. She had no way of knowing that Mace Windu would show up and save the three of them. Padme used her final seconds with Anakin to tell him how she really felt.

11. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Somehow or another, this contradiction in the story is a testament to the unspeakable genius of George Lucas.

Thats what I was gonna say.

12. plddc1

plddc1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2005
    <i>What I hated was the fact that we had no idea that they were going to get executed when she confessed her love, all we see is them standing in some little round thingy with their hands bound, then all of a sudden we get this line, "...and before we die I want you to know."
    What the hell? Who's dying, what, whaaa?? </i>

Sometimes, filmmakers and writers take it as an article of faith that, if they allude to something visually, people will make connections. When you have an establishing shot of a Roman-style arena with thousands of agitated aliens, then cut to two people standing in what is essentially supposed to be a tumbrel cart headed to the guillotine . . . well, connect the dots.

13. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    plddc1,

What was she suppose to think would happen at this point? Was Ashton Kutcher going to run out and say "You just got punked." If you are ever hands bound in the center of a gladiator type arena with unfriendly creatures howling at the sport of it all, assume the worst my friend.

14. plddc1

plddc1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2005
    Er . . . that's exactly what I was saying.

15. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Oops sorry... wrong name.

16. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I doubt Padme knew that Obi-wan was in the same arena. And with that Anakin loser jedi guy, you've got to be desperate to think your gonna survive, hands bount, surrounded by geo's, 3 monsters, dooku, Jango, Poggle and an entire legion of SPD's SD's and destroyer-droids. Besides, they where on a hostile planet. I don't think their ship was still waitin' for them... But they did survive...

amen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.