main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padme. What would you change about her character.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jamminjedi23, Jul 21, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This was a hard thread to find a location for. She is mainly a movie and tv character since her character has barely been touched in the literature department. There is a Padme thread in the PT forum but it seemed to be more of a fan thread and I didn't want to derail it and start posting that I didn't like the character much and think she should have been different. So given that outside of the PT Padme was seen in the most was TCW I figured I might as well put it here.

Padme is one of my least favorite characters so far in the Star Wars universe. The thing that really made it difficult for me to get into the character (aside from the bad dialogue in the PT of couse) was that I never bought into her backstory. It has always been difficult for me to accept the whole 'being elected queen at the age of fourteen' deal. I realize Lucas likes the strong young female characters but that was pushing it a bit to far. Leia was ok because she was just a princess who decided to join a rebellion but I'd have to question the sanity of a planet that elected a queen at the age of fourteen. And then in Ep. II they mention she wasn't even the youngest queen they ever had.

As much as I dislike that backstory it wouldn't be that difficult at all to fix. All they would have to do was instead of her being elected she could have simply been heir to the crown.

Her story in TCW wasn't so bad. Mainly I think just because it was an improvement on the first two movies but I still definitely would have changed it. Being one of the best senators in the entire galaxy by your mid twenties is still pretty far fetched. But it still wasn't as bad as the Padme in Ep. I and II and TCW didn't really use her that much so it wasn't quite so noticeable.

But anyways how would you of changed Padme's character? I've heard people in the past say they would have just turned her into another Jedi and her and Anakin could have met that way. I've also thought that she could have simply just been a regular person that Anakin happened to get to know somehow and they eventually fell in love.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That she was actually injured and had a reason to die.

Let's face it...she just gave birth to twins...no matter how much of a tool Anakin turned out to be she had some serious reasons to live.

Padme501st, Sarge and JediChipKelly like this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    She *had* reason to die. Really, the only thing I'd do is flesh her out. Dying from a broken heart isn't impossible nor weak.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This might be a better thread for the Saga forum. I'll let the TV mods make the call about moving it.

What I would change:

In TPM and AOTC, nothing. She was strong, tough, a badass. I might have made her less gullible to Palpatine's machinations in TPM but that's a lot to ask of a 14-year-old.

In TCW, only one thing: I would have had her tell Rush Clovis to go **** himself (or a family-friendly equivalent). She either should not have played along, or she should have told Anakin what she was doing. And no opera. That was stupid.

ROTS: When Anakin started his rant, she should have said, "I'll be going now. You may call me when you have come to your senses. Or not at all." And she should have had a blaster with her for protection and gotten the hell back on the ship before he had a chance to do any Force choking. And do not tell me pregnant women "can't" run. Been there, done that.

IOW, bring back badass Padme from TPM and AOTC, especially the arena in AOTC, unlocking her own handcuffs with her teeth.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was a bit of wire held in her teeth that she was using - but I agree with the general thrust of the argument.

AOTC novel:

"I was beginning to wonder if you had gotten my message," Obi-Wan replied. Both he and Anakin winced as Padme was similarly, roughly dragged over to the post next to Anakin, and roughly chained up. They saw her curl a bit, defensively, in what seemed a futile resistance. What they didn't see, though, was the resourceful Padme managing to slip out a wire she had hidden in her belt.
    "I retransmitted your message just as you requested, Master," Anakin explained. "Then we decided to come and rescue you."
    "Good job!" came Obi-Wan's quick and sarcastic reply.

"What about Padme?" The two turned to discover that their clever companion had already used the concealed wire to pick the lock on one of her shackles, and had turned her body about, facing the post. She climbed right up the chain to the top of that post, then went to work on the other shackle.
    "She seems to be on top of things," Obi-Wan commented wryly.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I'm wondering if the Padme we saw in ROTS is the character Lucas always envisioned Anakin's wife to be from the beginning. Where as the Padme we saw in Ep. I and II was the character Lucas just started working on when he started writing the script in the mid '90's for the prequels. They did seem like two entirely different characters.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm hoping it was the other way around, that TPM and AOTC Padme is the character that Anakin's wife was always supposed to be, and with ROTS, Lucas on a whim decided he wanted to do a Greek tragedy with a wilting flower trope.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Attack of the Clones "To be angry is to be human"

That is not what I would want any girlfriend to say, after their Boyfriend just confessed to killing women and children.

Personally I would have had her "character" more like Ahsoka's character which for me would work better as Mrs Vader and the mother of Luke and Leia. Not the bit of cardboard that she was.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @Cushing's Admirer

She was killed off because she had to die so taht Luke would be an orphan. They could have been more realistic with it and have had Anakin/Vader do some serious internal damage to her with the Force and had one of the robot doctors on Polis Massa make a comment about "massive internal damage to the organs in her thoracic cavity....it is amazing she lived this long."

The whole 'lost the will to live' crap was nonsense.

10. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Moved from SWTV to Saga. Carry on the discussion.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Get rid of her losing the will to live. Good lord she says to Obiwan that there is good in Anakin at the end of the movie and then she gives up after having twin babies??? If there is still good Anakin, then stick around raise your kids and try to turn him back!

Lucas should have stuck with his original version from ROTJ when Leia said she died while she was very young, and had her die with Leia on Alderran a few years later of Cancer or something life threatening.

12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    One thing i'd change? Have her sing a life day song!

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yeah I really feel like the reason Lucas decided to do that is because he wanted to show her death onscreen. You are right though it definitely would have worked better for him to stick with the original idea of her dying when her kids were a few years old instead of at childbirth. It also would have been believable for her to go into deep deppression over what happened to Anakin as well as the Galaxy and succumbing to that over time.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Underwhelming.....

Having her death on screen served so much more story and emotion than tie in a plot thread.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not opposed to her death on screen as an idea but it should have been from, well, any cause other than the one we were given.

CT-867-5309 and JediChipKelly like this.
  16. JediChipKelly

Jan 3, 2016
    Why not go all the way if connecting plot points doesn't matter to you. Lucas should have had Padme give birth to triplets, and the ST could have revolved around finding the 3rd Skywalker and their possible offspring. :rolleyes:

Or have C3PO be owned by Uncle Owen for 10 years in the PT, so when we get to ANH and he doesn't recognize him.... Oh wait that already happened... [face_laugh]

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Uncle Owen had a "rusty silver" droid. Then he got a "golden" droid. So that's why he didn't remember him.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  18. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    That last part has been argued and completed a while back(even Reddit is tired of explaining it)Owen doesn't care about Droids. Therefore, he thinks of the droid as any other.

And that idea would be interesting.....

The "another line" is ambiguous and open enough to squeeze more into it. So if Lucas wanted to, he could have and it would have been fine.

If anything, go and have a chat with Lucas on ROTJ and how he retconned Luke And Leia for the sake of story and emotion.

He's done these things more than once...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darskpine10 likes this.
  19. JediChipKelly

Jan 3, 2016
    I'm an OT fan, but I readily admit the Luke/Leia revelation was a total cop-out by Lucas to tie up the trilogy. I have many problems with ROTJ and that is one of them. Hence why it's inferior to ANH & ESB. ;) The difference is I don't try to justify and make these crazy excuses, as I will call out something in the OT and PT, and now the ST.

C3PO talked like an English Butler unlike any droid in the galaxy, so I think Owen would have remembered that droid who left with Anakin Skywalker & Padme (the mother and father of the that blonde haired kid he was protecting all of those years). ;)

DarthCricketer likes this.
  20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    He talked no differently to TC-14 for instance, and was a different colour. Add to that Owen's negative view of droids, and you have your answer.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  21. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Digga....

Who the hell is making excuses and justifying?

ROTJ/Rots was a retcon(semi retcon), but it sure as hell was one I thought was a good decision. That's just my own opinion.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

[face_beatup] ha ha, just kidding. I can't tell one "limey" accent from the next. Owen must have the same problem. Or maybe 3P0's butler voice is the default setting and Owen never changed it. He seemed like a lazy bum, making poor Luke do all the work.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I've written in other threads, she lost the will to live because she'd pretty much lost everything that meant anything to her. Her husband, her trust in her own judgment, her government, her belief in justice. It'd all been destroyed within the space of a few days, and she'd been an unsuspecting part of the plot to bring it all down. And, as for her family and children, she knew that Palpatine would make sure she was killed, even if it meant attacking her family and kids (or, worse, taking her kids in and setting them on the Dark Side path) in order to bring her out into the open. She knew Ani still had some good in him, but she knew she couldn't bring it back.

In her mind, under the circumstances, the best way to protect her family is to give up and die. If things had happened over a longer period of time, she might've been able to gather strength and ride it out. But she'd been so thoroughly socked so quickly she couldn't stand it. I know from personal experience how damaging stress can be, so I buy Padme's giving up. Besides, we see people in much happier circumstances give up on their lives all the time.

Given the story, I guess I'd keep Padme as she is. To change things, we'd need to do a massive retcon.

24. JediChipKelly

Jan 3, 2016
    Seriously? After having 2 kids, the best way to protect them is to give up and die? :confused:

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't think she gave up and died to protect but more so gave up like all you said about her.

Just my 28 cents.