main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padme. What would you change about her character.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jamminjedi23, Jul 21, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    You know it would have been great storytelling if Padme was one of the very very earliest designers of the Rebellion. Not necessarily physically going out there and beginning to place the pieces together like what we are currently seeing in Rebels. But you know just in 19-16 BBY or so her Bail, Mon Mothma (and a few other people) could have just been working behind the scenes designing plans to how to combat the Empire down the road. It would have jived with what Leia said in ROTJ as well as making Padme an even more influential character than she is now in the story.

And sorry but I will never ever buy into the idea that having her view her death as being best for her children as being a good plot point. No loving and caring parent would ever think that someone else could take care of their children better than they could (especially someone who had as many connections as Padme did). People fight through cancer and all other kinds of physical diseases strictly because they feel like they need to take care of their kids. And those are people who are deathly sick. Padme simply lost a crazy boyfriend/short lived marriage. There is absolutely no other way to explain it other than it was not a very good idea by Lucas and he didn't plan it out very well. He was looking for more of a Shakespearean ending than an ending that lots of people could relate to.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    She lost her entire world. Her principles of Democracy had crumbled, one of her closest allies was revealed as a tyrant. The organisation she had trusted for 13 years to protect the galaxy had been wiped out. The man she married had become a mass murderer, who was desperately attached to her, and would stop at nothing to get to her.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

You know it would be hard to convince a lot of people that she lost her entire world when she just had two kids born. Unless of course she didn't give a rats about those two kids.

4. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006

Technically she did, the deleted scenes where she meets Bail and Mon were the start of the Rebellion, realizing something needs to be done that is treason against the current government.

She had to die because Vader couldn't feel her, she would have been his weakness and Palpatine would never have allowed it. As long as she's living, he doesn't control Vader the way he wants/needs to. I think her death would have been better with more injuries, or a planned assassination from Palpatine, even if it's similar to Order 66, where he added someone to her team, like a droid, and while he is fixing Vader, he sends a message for her to be killed. But really a lot of it falls on the dialogue not explaining enough and making it sound weird and our of character.

What I would change about Padme is the way she's represented in ROTS. She was a totally different character from what she was prior and even if you use character development and pregnancy as an excuse, she still wouldn't be that different. And explain her death better. Besides that I think even her mistakes are normal for someone of her age.

5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    In my opinion, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that aspect of her character. I think it makes a fair amount of sense. She didn't harden herself to the extent that others like Anakin or Obi-Wan. Especially Obi-Wan. I mean, we're talking about a man who has trained himself to endure physical and psychological damage lesser individuals would crumble under and he didn't go to fight. The same goes for Yoda. He saw hundreds of years of his life's work fall to pieces. One has to wonder how much that wounded him.

As for who Padme was and her position in life (not speaking of her as a woman so don't even start), I don't find myself surprised by her fate. Saddened, yes. Shocked, no.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea they could have wrote the Padme death Twins to ObiWan and Bail plot point better. Padme should have been physically killed and not just an emotional death.

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Padme from the first two movies is one of my favourite characters in the whole saga - she's got guts, smarts and the cojones to stand up to just about anyone. She tells the Jedi Council to their faces that the former Jedi and 'idealist' Dooku is actually a baddie (long before anyone else copped to the fact), she told Anakin 'the Chosen One' Skywalker where to shove it and would have gone to rescue Obi-Wan on her own if she had to. She fared as well as two Jedi in the arena without having the Force or a weapon. Even early doors in ROTS she had promise, Palpatine had been her friend and her sponsor politically but if she thought he was corrupt or going down the wrong path then by all that's holy she was not going to just accept it.

And then suddenly she's a delicate little blossom with the emotional resilience of toilet paper. Urgh.