Padme Amidala Padme's Ep.3 Dressing Gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lady_Skywalker13, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I looked in the thread index and saw that there isn't a thread on this costume. If I'm wrong though, please lock this one and show me the exsisting thread.

Anyway, I'm speaking about this dress:
    [image=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/dtg1.jpg]

I want to do this outfit for ConnectiCon in mid July. It seems easy enough and looks very comfortable. I already have an awsome pattern for the robe but I'm having the hardest time finding the right material. Any suggestions???

Thanks
  2. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    That robe fabric is easier to find in the winter. I got mine from Hancock Fabrics a year or so ago (I keep forgetting this is on the to do list!). Do searches for 'eyelash knit' fabrics.
  3. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    There are places here in NYC that might still be carrying a rainbow of it - I'll have to check tomorrow after work. I think it was fairly cheap at $6/yd or $4/yd and 45-50" wide.
  4. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got some great robe fabric at JoAnns and it was on clearance at $5/yard.
  5. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Kristen, if you could do that, it would be awsome!! After an emense amount of research it seems that searching for "silky fleece" is working. I just can't find anything close to the right color! And I've been told that I can't dye it because it's 100% ployester!:mad:

I'll search for the "eyelash knit fabric" like you suggested Kay_Dee. I just really want to be able to do this for CTCon. I did find the perfect fabric for the under dress, so I'll just tsart on that and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the (and any future) help!
  6. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I found soem great material online, but it was first come first serve. My friend ordered it just before me and since she has some she said that she'll send me what she has. THe thing I find msot intersting about the material of the robe is that in the movie it looks purple but in any promo picsture it looks navy!

Also, some less expensive alternatives for trim can be found here:

http://www.trimfabric.com/ribbon-trim-1.html

Some good ones are:

http://www.trimfabric.com/wr-469.html

http://www.trimfabric.com/wr-34.html
  7. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    I noticed the color thing, too, L_S -- Maybe the robe is woven with 2 different colors?

Nice trims! The first one's not available at the moment, but the second one looks good. I might order that. :)
  8. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cool. Le me know how it is if you get it. I just found someone selling the expensive stuff that Maggie and her friend got. It's a lot, but I can swing it. Especially since the other costumes I'm right now are very cheap!

The fabric I ended up getting has more of the purple color to it. I ordered it offline and haven't received it yet. When I do I'll post a picture.

Also, I don't think I posted a picture of the dress part of it that I made. Here are a couple:

[image=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/costumes152.jpg]

[image=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/costumes153.jpg]
  9. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Neat job! Your dress is great. :)

Please let me know how your trim is when you get it.

(Sorry that I haven't posted any pics of my costumes yet -- my digital camera's been "confiscated" because we can't find the battery-charger.)
  10. luminousbeing78 Jedi Knight

star 1
    It looks so nice, Tally! It has been a very busy summer...lots of costumes! Keep it up! :)
  11. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, it was a hassle because the fabric is so slippery, but I finally got most of the robe done (except for the sleeves). Little navy fuzzies are everywhere! :p

I'm still deciding, but I think I've figured out how the shoulder bead areas are done (just in case anyone else might be having trouble with it). It looks like it could be the sleeve trim folded back, but it could also be a separate piece of dark ribbon sewn on with the seed beads and then have the sequin/dark seed bead combo sewn on and the tassel sewn to the robe or trim beneath it. That's just contemplation, though.
  12. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know what you meant about the material being slippery. And those fuzzies where EVERYWHERE! It looked like I murdered Barney when I was finished! lol Anyway, after sewing all day, I finished the robe. I still need to addthe beading and paint the hair peices. I think you are right about the beading. I'm gonna try out some stuff and I'll post my finds. Anyway, here's some pictures:

[image=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/costumes168.jpg]
    [image=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/costumes169.jpg]
    [image=http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/costumes170.jpg]
  13. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    [face_hypnotized] Wow, L_S! Your robe is gorgeous! Awesome job!

I'm glad my speculations helped. :) Good luck!

My sewing area looks more like I cut Marge Simpson's hair...hee hee! I found some clear seed beads for the tassels and I'll use purple ones I have left over from the brooch of the green velvet dress. I also found some navy ones for the shoulders and sleeve ends, but I'm having trouble finding some large faceted beads at the moment. Michael's probably has something close, though. :)
  14. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks! I kind of wished that I had navy fabric for the robe, but oh well. And I want to fix my dress so that the lace overley isn't parted (I thought it was).

I got all of my beads at Micheal's and they look really close. Just go check that place out.
  15. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Aw, your dress is lovely anyway. :)

Yeah; I know Michael's has been a really good source for beads in the past. When I have time around band camp, I'll try to check them out!
  16. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry for the "double-post", but I had a question concerning the beaded tassels. How exactly is the main part done? I'm obviously very new to beading, but I've checked several websites but haven't come up with anything that resembles them. I found a way to do the tassels, but the round "head" has me confused. Could the beads all be on one strand, but put on the needle every time the thread goes around the outside? Also, how could they be sewn to the robe? Or would the tassel ends have some part in that?

I'm sorry for sounding really anal, but I'm usually that way when doing costume research. :p
  17. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't worry, I understand you about being anal. I'm the same way. In fact, those tassels are what's holding me up. I just have the beads left to do. I found the perfect beads at Micheals, but I have all the same questions that you asked. If I find anything out, I'll post it. Please do the same. I'm so lost here!!! lol
  18. fairyprincess Jedi Knight

star 1
    This costume is on my list!

That birdsfeather fabric is currently in stores in Australia so I might get some befor the Summer stock takes over!

What are people using as a pattern? I have been looking but nothing has jumped out at me?
  19. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Several people have used McCall's 4340 (it's out of print now, I think) for the robe and Simplicity 9764 or 4996 for the dress. I tried ordering it a while ago, but they e-mailed me a week later saying they didn't have any left. :( A costume robe pattern might work well, too.

I actually used Simplicity 7964 for the neckline and fanned it out from there with four big rectangles for the sleeves.
  20. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, good to know we're in the same boat! :p
    The procedure I found for the tassels goes something like this:
    -String however many beads you'll use on each tassel. Repeat until you have the number of tassels required. (Also, leave 2 fairly long tails.)
    -Tie all the tails together into a double-knot.
    Thread a needle and pull it through the large bead once. Pull it through the knot after that and pull back up through the bead until the knot is hidden.

(As soon as I find the website where I found that, I'll credit it.)
  21. Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    That does sound good. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  22. Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well...I talked to my Drawing teacher (who's really into beading) about making the tassel "head" and sewing it down. Here's my revelations.

For the tassel head, I think it might be a long tail of black thread (long enough to tail out one end)on a thin needle threaded through the large bead hole once. Some clear seed beads could be threaded on when the thread goes around the outside, and then kind of make a loop-de-loop back into the hole (but without beads; the beads would only curve around the outside and stop short of the hole so there wouldn't be too much congestion inside).

Once the large bead is covered in strings of beads, the thread could come back up through and either a)tied securely with the beginning of the thread into a knot inside the bead or b)combined with the beginning thread tail and pulled through its spot on the robe and tied in place.

Then comes sewing the whole bead on. (This is kind of tied in with the instructions I found for making tassels, btw.) A separate needle and thread could be used to fasten the whole thing to the robe. The new needle could come down through the beaded bead and through the beaded tassel knot (while they're still separate; it could just be easier) and pull the knot up through the bead hole and come back through the fabric, and then that could be repeated several times.

Isn't it sad how long and hard I think about this kind of stuff just so it makes a little sense? :p Again, I hope this didn't sound too anal and that my mumblings made a little bit of sense.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.