main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Final Senate Appearance Gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GentleBant, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    (Sorry if this has another thread elsewhere. I've done several searches and came up with nothing.)

So, as *ahem* family matters have derailed my plans for several costumes, I decided to start work on this one in earnest. After all, it's one I can wear during and after the coming events of this spring!

Pic of gown (though I am going to use my bookmarks to PG and FFAQ quite a bit...)
    [image=http://gentlebant.com/images/costumes/padmefinalsenatemagazine.jpg]

Swatches of what I have so far:
    [image=http://gentlebant.com/images/costumes/padmefinalsenateswatches1.jpg]

I also have 10 yards of navy blue trim for the sleeves and the trim on the collar.

I'm having a time of it trying to find a lace/burnout/devore that I think is close enough for the overlay of the skirt, and I'm also trying to decide how to do the pleated "scarf". Then of course, there are the hair piece and the brooches.

I've looked into a few embroidery shops for the silver pattern on the tabbard and mini-shoulder-cloak.

I think I have a plan in mind for how to layer the various pieces, though to save on my budget while still getting as close to the look as I can, I may not make each layer completely separate.

Anyone have suggestions or tips on this one?

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Good luck on it! :)

I had spent several months with the original costume but dun have the chance to "understand it better". Anyhow, it is a beauty. ;)

And if using the photos from Padawan's Guide, be warned that for many of the detailed photos taken at AoSW Exhibition, the color had been "bleached out" in an attempt to bring out the design and "fibre/nape" details. [face_blush] Well, the hall was very dark anyway to maintain the correct mood.

3. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I was wondering about the coloring differences between sources...I was assuming, based on other photos/promo shots, that the gown leans more to the bluish end of the purple spectrum rather than the reddish. Would you say that's correct?

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    This is one of my favorites... of course, it's purple :D GB I think you'll do a great job and those fabrics look nice.

5. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks, gals...I just wish I could sew straight!

I'm really debating what to do about the lace/burnout overlay on the bottom skirt. Due to my "condition" right now, I'm not chancing using the devore chemicals myself, even with gloves, etc. I'm just too nervous about the whole endangering thing to try it. So, that leaves me with what I can hunt up. I suppose I could just sort of baste it in and then replace it someday when I can make the "right" pattern on it and dye it accordingly.

I'm thinking of making the main dress of a moleskin or ultrasuede (I think that's what they're called) and doing a straight A-line cut from the neck down, with the high collar and the puffed sleeves, and of course coming to a point as it does in the pics.

Then, the bottom skirt would be a taffeta, and from what I can see it's either got magenta/blue undertones to the lavender, or a magenta/brown coloring to it.

Over that would be the lace/burnout. I think I'd need a petticoat under to keep the skirt full...maybe? I'd need one I can wear during and after pregnancy in that case.

Over all this is the embroidered tabbard down the front and the truncated mini-cloak over the shoulders, all topped off with the pleated scarf-looking piece wrapped around the neck and draping down the front. I have no idea on what to use for the scarf, even though I originally thought it'd be easy. Finally, there's the brooches.

Any help here would be great...I've been researching and searching for materials for close to a year (earnestly for about 4 months), and am a bit befuddled.

And did I mention I loooove purple? :~)

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Can't wait to see it, Jos!! :D

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, my memory from months spending at the exhibition is fading (it was back in April 2006 when I last saw it always from a distance except for the once or twice when I went nearer to "fix something") but I'm sure yes, it leaned more towards the Bluish Purple. ;) Just plain purple I'll say just as what we saw in most of the official photos.

As for the pleated scarf, it might looked like it had been through one of those "Factory Pleating" so I guess something along the line of some sort of Polyester?

8. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I've never done any pleating before...I'm terrified. :~) I'll have to do some reading up on that.

And feel free to keep an eye out for any fabrics that might temporarily "work" as the lace overskirt as you happen along through your days. :~D

Thanks for the comments, all, and if you think of anything along the way of suggestions or helping, I'll more than welcome it!

I tend to get put on bedrest sometime in my pregnancies, so really, that'll be my best bet at having time to sew, though it'll have to be hand-sewing since I'll be laying on my left side!

Hopefully it'll be more like months, rather than years, before I get this one done. :~D (Putting off the throne room gown and others until the baby is here and the belly is gone...can't think that it'd look quite right with a big basketball bulging in the middle.)

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Congrats on the next baby! :) Is this number 3?

10. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Yep, 'tis. Thanks! We're apparently into patterns, here...B-G-B...our princess Nea is in the middle. :~)

11. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Ordered about 10 more swatches from Denver fabrics yesterday...waiting to see if I can get even a closer match on the main smock-dress fabric (moleskin, maybe?) and the taffeta for the skirt.

On another note, what do you all think one of these from Dharma as a temporary overskirt? I think with using the washer for the dye, I'd be OK with that. Still too nervous with the pregnancy thing to do the devore process myself right now.
    Anyway, scarves:
    Dyeable Scarves

I'd probably get two or three, dye them, and cut them up to fit. :~)

12. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Well, I bought some burnout velvet fabric (I ended up deciding on the "Bamboo" pattern for now...)

I'm going to try and do a dye run Monday or Tuesday to get the background color in.

I still haven't quite figured out where the seam is for that part of the lacy overskirt!

13. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    OK, burnout fabric is dyed. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I can't spend more on dyes right now.

For the high, stiff collar, what do you use to make it keep its shape? Is there anything washable for that?

Also, I bought stuff to make a stencil for the scroll-loopy pattern. Any tips from those of you who've done something like that before?

14. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    You can use really stiff, very thick interfacing for the collar (I've used this in a couple of imperial officer collars), which would be washable. Or there's another option that I can't think of the name (it starts with a "B", I think - my brain's a little fried at the moment). I'm not sure if that's washable - I think it is.

EDIT: Buckram. That's the name of it. :D

15. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks!

Having a starting point that narrows things down really helps; went and got some really heavy-duty interfacing for the collar and some lighter-weight stuff for the cuffs.

Got the tafetta skirt sewn two days ago and baked the sculpey shapes for the brooches tonight. Also broke down and bought some silk velvet for the shoulder cape and the tabbard.

Pics of the sculpey shapes (was going more for the spirit of them than exact replicas at this point) and of the dye job for the burnout velvet:

[image=http://gentlebant.com/images/costumes/sculpeypin.jpg]
    [image=http://gentlebant.com/images/costumes/bamboo_burnout_dyed.jpg]

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Looks great, Jos!

17. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Those look fantastic!!!
    Great job!

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Wonderful job!!!! This is going to look so great when you finish it.

19. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks!

Minor setback; I bought the wrong kind of stencils! Ah, well...

20. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
  21. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Gorgeous so far!!!

22. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks, again. :~)

And, now ordered the wrong shade of purple for the silk velvet; I ended up using some of my remaining dye to try and darken and redden it a bit. The purple I ordered turned out to be more royal blue than purple. Hoping the color still turns out OK!

23. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Capelet and tabbard are cut, ready to sew the lining.
    Headpiece is almost done (waiting for the sculpey to finish baking.)
    Taffeta underskirt is done, though the waist is a bit low.
    Burnout layer of the skirt needs to be sewn to the taffeta skirt.
    Scarf is cut, needs to be fray-glued and attached with brooches.
    Brooches need pin backing and could use a little paint IMO, but are done enough for now.
    Basic shape of the dress is done, but needs to be altered/fit, and needs cuffs, trim, and collar.

Hoping to "finish" this weekend!

24. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Almost...there.....!

[image=http://gentlebant.com/images/costumes/ROTSprelimpic2.jpg]

25. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Looking good. What did you use for the scarf?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.