main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme's Geonosis Battle Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JoeSunrider, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    For Halloween, my girlfriend and I are going to be Anakin and Padme, but she doesn't wanna shell $40 for a costume. I was hoping you creative people could tell me where I can look to see how to make one, or even buy one for about $25. Also, what about hair? How would we do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: In case I was unclear, I need help on the Padme costume, not Anakin's.

2. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    It would be kind of hard to not spend that much if you don't have a sewing machine and I haven't seen a really good one for less than $40, but here's a link to it if you want to see it for around $17 I think.

White Battle Costume

3. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Those are kids' sizes. And we do have a sewing machine handy, so if anyone can tell us how to make it it would be great.

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    If you look in the FAQ (link at the top left of the menu bar) there's a link to the thread about this costume, which contains descriptions of how a lot of different people have made it, some for very cheaply.

5. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Thanks for the link, but that thread doesn't have any steps for making the costume. That's what I'm looking for.

6. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I made one for someone sewing all the pieces. Honestly speaking I don't even think you could sew one staying in that budget. The cotton lycra is going to run around $7-12 yard (if you can find it) and the top and pants are going to take around 4 yards. The vinyl for the belt and pouches is around $6 a yard, The flashing for the arm bands, the shin guards, and boots, gun, and then the fabric for the wrap. Then if you need a pattern to sew the pieces, thread, and other notions. Sewing a costume usually isn't the cheapest alternative.
    If I was on a tight budget I would be surfing the thrift stores and building it that way.
    Just my .02 :) Ferd

7. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm not worried about the pants or boots. I'm worried about the shirt design, the armbands, and the belt pouches. Any advice on those?

8. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Well the shirt is a "t" style shirt-meaning the sleeves are not set in--the seams run down the arm length. You could draft your own pattern--New Look #6106 is that type of top, but the scoop neck would need to be modified. The center design has pin tucks to form a type of "plate" this look can be achieved with top stitching or possibly inserting piping. There is also a decorative seam on the front towards the bottom.

9. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Well the shirt is a "t" style shirt-meaning the sleeves are not set in--the seams run down the arm length. You could draft your own pattern--New Look #6106 is that type of top, but the scoop neck would need to be modified. The center design has pin tucks to form a type of "plate" this look can be achieved with top stitching or possibly inserting piping. There is also a decorative seam on the front towards the bottom.
    For the arm bands use aluminum flashing which is found at any hardware store. You can cut it with scissors. You can find it in the roofing supply section, and you can put in on elastic and sections like the original.
    I made my own pattern for the pouches and holster and sewed them out of vinyl and gave them body with horsehair.
    Someone on this costume's thread made hers out of a Pantene pro-V bottle (sorry I don't remember your name :) )

Good Luck--Ferd

10. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I did mine for quite a low price and the only expansive part of the costume is my shoes (SGD30/USD16). What I did, as many others did as stated in the thread about Padme White Battle Suit, is to get store available t-shirt and pants.

Check out the 6th post at this thread for roughly how I did mine (or if on a budget)
    Costuming For Dummies :p

11. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Thanks Darth_Eagle! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! You're a life saver!

12. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    You wouldn't be willing to maybe give me some step-by-step on the shirt designs, would you? PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE?

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    The other thread does have steps for how to make it. The entire thread is devoted to creating the costume. It is actually an invaluable resource, in my opinion. You don't have to read the whole thread word-for-word though -- scanning it for the particular details you're looking for works well.

14. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    The shirt is pretty simple. Any cheerleading uniform site will have the shirt. I got mine at a sports store that carries cheer supplies. It only cost 20 bucks.

As for the armbands, sheet metal will do, it just has to be bendable.

The pouches are pretty hard, unless you want to go to a army surplus store to see if they carry them. My mom's making my pouches for me.

15. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    I heard someone made the holster out of a shampoo bottle. I have an idea of how that might work, but anyone wanna clarify?

16. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Actually, I see how that would work. You could cut off the top, and cut two slits in the back to put the belt through, paint the bottle white/cream.....and voila! You've got a holster. You'd probably have to get a shampoo bottle that's narrow on the bottom. For that, I'd say pick up a bottle of Tre Semme Hydrology. It's fat on top and narrow as it gets to the bottom.

17. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too.

18. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Or you can take a bottle of gel or lotion, I am going to use my empty bottle of Neutrogena Oil Free Face Wash (it's a tube). I am going to cut the top off so there's an opening for the gun, painting it, and cutting the slits in the back for the belt to slide through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.