main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Okay I know many have not seen the full dress but I saw it and fell in love with it! If anyone has any info on how to make this dress please contact me!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi LadyNaberrie :)

I am currently trying to figure out how to make the picnic dress. Better pictures of it will definitely help! The best pic I've seen so far is this one:

[image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/large320.jpg]

And a few of us have been talking about it in this thread:

Amidala'sgowns

I've been looking at a lot of different Simplicity costume patterns trying to decide which ones I can modify and combine to make a reasonable copy. I'll update you if I have any sucess! :)

Also, have you seen all the pics of it at PadmeSkywalker.net? There are some good ones there so check it out if you already haven't! :D

3. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    Thank you so much for that information that you gave me. I greatly appreciate it and if I get any you will be the first to know.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh you're very welcome! :D

Just found this pic fromthe new Vanity Fair:

[image=http://www4.addr.com/~ejimford/vf/hayden_and_nat_2.jpg] [face_love]

I'd love any insights you have about this dress too! It's soooo gorgeous!

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    **swoons** [face_blush] **romantic sigh**

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    *swooning with kreleia*

7. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    If anyone ever attempts this, I'd love to see work in progess pictures.

8. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Nice picture, beautifully formatted, but I want to see more of the COSTUMES!!

What a tease.

Man. This is driving me nuts.
    How can I really see what the costumes really look like? I think I need to live in the movie waredrobe department for a few weeks.

I was looking at simplicity patterns too today. There is a nice pattern for a fully lined hooded cloak that looks a whole lot like several of the movie costumes. Especially that sliver/grey burn-out velvet number Padme is wearing in the rick-shaw on Tattooine.
    I was looking at Simplicity's #9989 (?) Can-can costumes. The top part of the dress requires light boning. There are 3 views of it, with 1/2 sleeves, cap sleeve things made of trim or lace and sleeve-less.
    Maybe I do need to pick up that pattern. There are also 3 differnt views for the skirts, or it could be replaced with a super-full skirt. There seems to be a lot of material spread all over the grass in that Vanity Fair cover shot.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Simplicity 9989 huh? I'll look at it tomorrow! Simplicity patterns are only $1.50 at Joanne's right now! :D

So, I've been staring at this dress and does anyone else think that there are fitted sleeves under the sheer drapy ones? I'm convincing myself that I see them and there is definietly fitted fabric around her wrists. The skirt does look really full and I think there may be more than one layer to it. If you look at the bottom right hand corner of this pic:

[image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/large320.jpg]

you can see what I'm talking about. There is a bit of fabric that seems almost sheer like and then a heavier fabric underneath. The white dots are on the sheer fabric.
    The bodice does looked boned to me, so that can-can pattern sounds like a good possibility. I wonder about how far up the bodice on this dress goes. In the above pic it seems to go above her chest, but in the teaser poster it looks lower:

[image=http://www.thenextamidala.com/costumes/teaser_poster/sw2ban.jpg]

And in this one it also looks like it stops below her bosom:

[image=http://www.thenextamidala.com/costumes/teaser_poster/nat01_mtv_.jpg]

Any thoughts? Maybe in the Vanity Fair cover pic the dress shifted up because she's laying back? ?[face_plain] :)

10. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Obi-Dawn,

To me, the bodice looks like it comes up above the chest with a sheer ruffle (for lack of a better word) falling down from the top. What I'm wondering is what lines you see across the top of the bodice and at the waist. That will determine which pattern I choose. For the bodice, is it straight across or is there more of a sweetheart shape? And I'm not sure if we have enough info to decide on the waistline yet.

As far as the sleeves, I don't think there is a fitted layer underneath the sheer, but that it's tied just below the elbow and at the wrists. But, I haven't got the poster, so maybe you're seeing something I can't.

Regards,
    M.

11. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Obi-Dawn, check that sleeve again. It's not form-fitted to her wrist, actually, it's just different fabric sewn on to the edge of the sleeve. Look closely - it, too, hangs down to the skirt in the magazine cover picture. I thought it was form-fitting when I saw it the first time, too, but then I really started studying it and noticed that it's not.

kreleia ^.^

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the input Mirax and kreleia! :D
    I'll have to stare at it some more....

As far as the waistline, Mirax, I was thinking more of a sweetheart line but I really can't be sure with these pictures. :(

13. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    The dress has straps! I got the Vanity Fair and noticed that the dress has straps. very hard to tell from the online pictures

14. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    I got my pattern today for my dress! it's a midevil period dress. my mom is going to make some modifications on it though. It's #8725

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You must get the Vanity Fair! The cover photo shows so much detail! What a gorgeous dress...*sigh*

[face_love]

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I was staring at my Vanity Fair cover for a long time yesterday.

It looks to me like the fitted, boned, bodice piece is separate and goes over the looser top of the dress like an outer corsette. Those thin spaghetti straps attach to the corsette and the sheer netting "shoulder cape" thingie is also held in place by those thin straps.
    The sleeves look quite full from their top (off-the-shoulder) to the cuffs at the wrist. It looks like there are 4 different colored ribbons criss-crossing from the elbows down to the wrists. It may be a trick in the lighting, but there is a slight pinkish cast to the underlying part of the skirt. This could just be the way the light was relecting off of something else when the picture was taken, or it could mean that there is a layer of something pink (a slip??)under the yellow outerskirt.

I think the trick to making this dress will again be finding suitable fabric--either in the correct colors and patterns or finding something that is dye-able.

I do want to see more pictures of it though. I doubt I will be able to make this one before CII with all of the other projects I have going on right now.
    ---Maybe for the fall or next summer. We will all know what it really looks like by then.

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree with all of your observations Nostradamus! :D I think it looks like a separate corset type piece that goes over a dress as well. I also noticed the pinkish tint in the skirt, but only in that one spot. It's hard to tell what that really is. The sleeves do look full and tied at the elbow ?[face_plain] and then down to the wrist with ribbons?
    I'm tempted to make a mock version to see if I can get it right. If things go well, I'll tell you guys... :D

18. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I did pick up that #9989 Simplicity can-can pattern (for $1.50) :) and I am going to make that dress straight from the pattern (for an other event) to get a feel for what is involved in building it. I was toying with the idea of making the can-can dress in the approximate colors of the Padme picnic on the grass dress, but I think I need to try to go a bit more towards the traditional bordello color schemes for the purpose this other costume is intended. ;)
    I am then going to try to make it a bit more 'frightening' for the
    costume ball and adding a Star Wars 'element' to it.
    Hopefully, this will be a multi-functional costume. Hopefully. ;)

19. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Guys,

So far I've had no luck finding the magazine. Grrr! Slow stocking of shelves in my area, I guess. It's my mission for tomorrow. I won't stop til I find one!!

So the bodice looks to be seperate? Very interesting! That makes things easier in some ways - tons of patterns available for a corset. But more difficult in others - what will work for the under-dress, to create the scarf look? And what does the back look like? If it was all one dress, I'd have expected a zipper closure. But if the corset is seperate, is it laced? Pretty major detail that we don't yet have.

Regards,
    M.

20. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Mission accomplished! I found the magazine!

OMG, this dress is gorgeous! And SO complicated! Anyone have thoughts on the hand embroidery on the under-dress or the bodice? Or ways to makes the 'stripes' on the bodice? It's looking more and more like dyeing fabric will be the best way to get the right textures. That'll be something very new for me.

Well, I'm going to go pattern shopping again. Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

Regards,
    M.

21. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    for the buns I plan to buy some fake hair that matches my color and glue it onto a gold net looking thing and also there is a head band thing at wet seal that looks somewhat like hers. I cannot wait until I have everything so I can start making the dress!

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Okay, I'm committed to this dress now! I picked out three different patterns to start experimenting with. I'm going to make my version as a three piece deal: a skirt, a blouse (with drapy thing over shoulders and sleeves), and a corset/bustier over that. The corset will be long enough to cover the skirt waistband, so it should give the effect of a dress underneath it. I'm going to play around with Simplicity 8943 for the skirt, Simplicity 7009 for the corset, and Simplicity 9966 for the blouse which will need modifications on the sleeves. I'm looking at view A for the neckline which is off the shoulder.

I also found some great fabric which matches the colors really REALLY well. :D For me it was more important to match the colors. I'm willing to 'decorate' the fabric by hand to achieve a similar look to the real costume. The skirt and blouse will be made from two layers of fabric. I'm going to use a dull satin for the underlayer and a sheer chiffon for over it. The satin isn't that heavy so I think it can pass, and it's the perfect color! It's not as 'light' in weight as the fabric of the real dress appears to be, but hey, I can't have everything! :p I am currently sewing on, by hand, small white flowers and larger gold ones to the chiffon fabric. I cut out all these flowers from lace trims that I found. This part is going to take a long time! For the drapy thing that goes over the top, which I still haven't figured out how to make, I bought a slightly darker shade of a chiffon which matches the VF cover pretty gosh darn well. The flowers will all have to be sewn on by hand and the embroidery between the flowers is going to take some experimenting to figure out. (Same for on the skirt too.) For the corset I bought a shinier and heavier satin. It is smooth and won't have that texture that the real one has, but as long as the color is right I can live with it! I'm going to embroider the yellow flowers onto it and I bought a bunch of light and dark pink roses to sew on as well. As for the stripe effect, haven't figured that out yet. That's a problem I'm gonna ask my mom to solve! ;) I haven't decided how to make the back of the corset. In an ideal world, I could wait for a pic, but I want this dress for the Celebration. I'll probably wait a while longer and if a pic doesn't crop up, I'll just make it as the pattern calls for it. I can always modify it or make a new one later on. :) And I got ribbons in all the pretty colors to wrap around the forearms.
    I'm going out of town for all of next week and won't really get to start on it until I get back. It'll be hard because I really want to start.
    Oh yeah, my Mom has also agreed to crochet the hair bun holders for me and I'll make the headband myself. So, I guess I won't be cutting my hair until after the Celebration! [face_mischief]

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmmmm... I guess I should pick up a copy of the magazine before it completely disappears. :D

kreleia ^.^

24. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Obi-Dawn,

I think I've got the stripes on the bodice figured out. This is all in my head, of course, but theoretically it should work.

Before you cut out the bodice, sew small tucks into the back side of the length of the fabric. You might want to lay the pattern out to decide where to do them since it looks to me like the front panel with all the embroidery is without stripes. They seem to start on each side of the front panel. It should just be a matter of planning the distance apart and the number of stripes from where the side seams since this will look about the same as a tucked stripe.

Regards,
    M.

25. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    wow! good idea mirax!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.