main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Kay_dee, I'm sure you 'll get it right! I'm dyeing an embroidered silk organza for my cape. It's not as soft as the net, but still looks like it'll hang right. The silk dyes very quickly, so the embroidery isn't touched too much.

And this is probably a bit premature, since I haven't finished the blouse yet, but I think I came up with a way to gather the neckline without elastic. I know earlier I said I didn't mind using elastic, but I lied :) Anyway, I took a piece of narrow piping cord (1/16"), sewed it into the neckline using a zipper foot and pulled it up. I plan to sew the sleeves mostly on, leaving room at the top where the cord comes out and pull the cord to fit me. I'm very happy with the preliminary results! I took a picture of both the slightly gathered neckline and the piping being pinned in.

[image=http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/neckpip.jpg]
    [image=http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/pinpipe.jpg]

Of course, since I'm sharing early I'm probably jinx myself and will have a new story tomorrow, but I really think this will work...

Katherine

2. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    It worked!!!

I pulled the cord a little too tight, but that's easily fixed. It needs hand finishing, more elastic in the sleeves, etc, but I love the way it came out!!!

Here's a picture that I took by turning the viewer of my digital camera and holding it in front of the mirror so I could see what was going on while I was holding the corset closed behind me. In other words, not a very good picture, but, I'm excited :)

[image=http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/pictop.jpg]

Katherine

3. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Looks wonderful koshka :) I love the flowers on the corset.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Yours is going to be beautiful... :)

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Katherine, your blouse looks great! Thanks for posting photos with your use of the cord/piping. I was thinking of doing something similar so it helps to see your results.

I won't be able to start cutting fabric for another week since I have some freelance projects I've got to finish up. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post images of my progress. Maybe I'll just have to get one?!?!

-Kay Dee

6. jonniesophie

jonniesophie Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Looks great Koshka! Do you have a Nikon coolpix 2500?

I'm thinking about makng the san fran trip and going to dharma and britex, anywhere else I should stop?

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Alright, I'm sorry. I know you guys have all already seen my first attempt at this dress, but I just found these pics on the web and I have to share. ;) [face_blush]

more pics of me, myself, and I

edit: koshka, it's looking wonderful!

8. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002

Also, I'm glad I could help!!!

Since getting a digital camera I've really gone nuts taking pictures of my costumes. I've gotten even worse since getting a webpage, which I've had for about a month and a half now. I enjoy seeing other people's pictures, so that adds to me being picture happy with my own stuff :)

My digital camera is an HP Photosmart 318. I love it. When I bought it I just told the salesman that I wanted a good, mid level digital camera, he said how about this, and I said looks good. Whole sale took five minutes :)

I'll get better pictures up later of course, me actually wearing the corset instead of holding it on, the piping is adjusted so it fits better now and I'll have the edges finished off and someone else take the picture. All the usual stuff :)

Obi-dawn, I love the picture of you with the large picture behind. I know you're remaking it, but your first looks great...

Katherine

9. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Obi-Dawn, those pictures are fabulously cool! And you look terrific, of course. ;)

Koshka, looks like things are coming along very nicely on your dress -- keep up the good work. :)

-sg

10. jonniesophie

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, I got a babysitter for Wednesday, so I am making a quick San Fran trip.

Any San Fran suggestions other than Britex and Dharma?

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    JonnieSophie, if you are heading into SF you might want to stop by two discount fabric stores on Haight Street. They are both within a block of each other. Here's the name and address of one:

Mendel's and Far Out Fabrics
    1556 Haight Street, San Francisco, California. 94117. Phone: 415-621-1287. For more information, contact prior to visiting. http://www.mendels.com

The other is:

Discount Fabrics
    1432 Haight St.
    (between Masonic & Ashbury)
    San Francisco, CA 94117
    phone: 415.621.5584
    hours: Monday - Saturday (9:30 am - 7 pm)

Be sure to bring lots of quarters along so you can feed the meters. :)

When you go to Britex be sure to head down Geary and turn right into the parking garage. It's under the Union Square park which is undergoing some major construction right now (just across from Macy's).

If you can bring pictures to Britex the sales staff is very helpful and FAST at getting you what you need. The last time I was there they still had some of the trim to make Padme's headband on the 4th floor.

The stores on Haight had some chiffon fabric that I had gotten at Britex for about half the price.

Good luck!

-Kay Dee

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Koshka your dress looks absolutly beautiful!!! Great work!

Obi Dawn where did you find those pics? Were there other costume pics on the site?

13. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Obi-Dawn-Both you and your dress are exquisite.

14. jonniesophie

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for the info Kay Dee!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Here's a quote for you guys... "From the moment I met you all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven?t thought of you?Now that I?m with you again I?m in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you? I can?t breathe! I?m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me, my heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar, you are in my very soul, tormenting me. What can I do? I will do anything that you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am please tell me!"

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    How's everyone doing?

I just have to gush over the gorgeous headband ribbon from Britex. I was lucky enough to have a very nice person pick up and send me some and it is exact! *gush gush gush*

I'll post some pics when I've got my new headband assembled. Right now I'm cutting out my new corset. So exciting...... :D

edit: thanks koshka, surly, and Amidala-Leia :)

16. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Page Two obscurity, horror! Good thing I actually made some progress today to report.

Mrs M. - I finally went to Meijer and bought that table cloth! Thanks again for the suggestion, it's perfect!

I got the 70" round one. I'm going to use the same pattern than Dawn used to cut hers out and edge it with variagated thread. Haven't decided if I'm going to put on the Offray roses to cover the ones on the tablecloth or use the excess ones to replace the Offray roses on my corset and headband. I also have to go buy fabric paint to make it the right color. I'm thinking something gold metallic would work. Our fan force is having a costuming meeting on Sunday, so I'll get several opinions before I do anything permanent, though.

BTW, Welcome to all the newer folks! I'm enjoying seeing your progress! And, good luck to all the rest of us perfectionists on our quest for accuracy! ;)

Regards,
    M.

17. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    Mirax: Might I recommend Lumiere fabric paint in "Metallic Gold". It's a lovely yellow gold shade, and truly metallic if that's the look you're going for. I got some from Dharma Trading Cos website and it worked great for making my corset gold. :)

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Mirax, glad to hear you like that tablecloth! Isn't it fabulous?
    Just to let you know, I think my cape pattern makes it a bit too full in the back. I think I over did it a bit. I think the solution is to make the...well, if you think of the whole pattern as a pie and the edge that goes around your shoulders as a piece cut out of the pie, I think the pie piece needs to be bigger. Did that make any sense at all?

19. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Thanks for the suggestion, R-W! I just got their catalog, so I'll check it out.

Dawn - Yes, I understand what you mean. When I cut out my first one from tulle (the one that never got finished [face_blush] ), I ended up cutting the front down a little more since it was too big around the shoulders and didn't follow the line I saw in the pictures quite right. Are you thinking it was too full? I guess that wouldn't be too hard to fix. How big a piece of the pie are you thinking now? I guess I could experiment with my first one a bit. Let me know what you think.

Regards,
    M.

20. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    This is a little random, but I just received a pattern and 2 18th century sewing technique books from Kannik's Korner today. The books were wrapped in a shopping bag from Meijer. I couldn't help but laugh :)

I finished my blouse today too! I noticed that when I gathered the neckline I made the front the back and the back the front. Oops. The only place is shows though is the hemline and since that will be under the skirt, I really don't care :)

I just need to sew the ribbons on, but that shouldn't take long at all, since I'm not planning of fully sewing them, but just tacking them on and tying after I put the blouse on...

Katherine

21. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    hi everyone, I've been following this thread for a while now. I've just started my dress. I've finally found all my fabric and am currently working on the skirt. I was wondering what everyone has used for the thread for the edging on the cape. Can you buy verigated thread on a spool in the right colour or do you alternate between spools of green and gold. I can't recall seeing verigated thread at the fabric store but I might have missed it. I live in canada so I don't have all the stores that you do in the states but we usually carry the same products. We do have a Michaels though. Any help on this would be great. liannb

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I believe the thread some people have used to edge the cape is SULKY silk thread #2114. It is an overdyed thread that alternates between Yellow and Green. (If I have the number wrong feel free to correct me - this is the one I happened to purchase)

Well, I started experimenting with acid dyes yesterday for the cape. This is not going to be an easy task! If I'm LUCKY I may finish it on Monday. So far it looks like I'm going to have to combine Aztec Gold and Gold Ochre. Gold Ochre has an orange cast to it, while Aztec Gold has more of a yellow undertone. I think something close to a 3:1 ration of AG:GO may work. I still have a long way to go in getting the right mix of colors and the propor dilution though. I would be a little less worried if I knew I could run back to the fabric store to get more cape fabric. I got the very end of the roll though :(

-kay dee

23. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    Kay_dee, I know how you feel about the cape! I dyed mine last night, I used Rit golden yellow. I'm not making an exact copy, so that part was easy. The cutting part was difficult since I only had one chance to get it right! I suppose I could order more, but that really isn't an option :)

I played with muslin and gridded pellon forever before making a tiny sample, getting annoyed, cutting part off and getting a perfect shape. I kept trying different sized half circles and they were too tight and didn't drape at all. Here's the final shape I decided on

[image=http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/cape2.jpg]

The little "wings" that stick up fold in and it drapes beautifully over the shoulders. Well, in my opinion at least :)

I'll add a section to my webpage within the next few days.

I'm going to attempt to edge it on the machine today. I've never done anything like that before, so I'm a little nervous. I'm using Sulky 2115 which is a varigated green and white.

Mdeel-I forgot to tell you earlier, but Koshka (the real cat!) thanks you for calling him cute :)

Katherine

24. Julia_aka_JJ

Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Wow, Koshka, by the looks of things, your dress is going to turn out goreous! Keep updating us with those beautiful pictures.

25. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Everyone,

I cut out the cape from the tablecloth tonight. I started with a half circle shape and ended up with more of a scalloped tear-drop with a bite out of the narrower end. But, it hangs well and I'm happy with it. I'll try to get a picture of my "pattern" up soon if anyone's interested.

I need more suggestions on dyeing/painting the tulle part a gold color. I tried Tulip fabric paint in Metallic Gold, but I'm not happy with it. If anyone's already colored their tablecloth successfully, I'd love your ideas!

Regards,
    M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.