main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    MIRAX- I was lead to this awesome site by someone kind on the Tatoonie dress thread (thanks whoever you are :) )

Crushing Fabric Site

I just did this technique with a piece of cotton lame' for another project and it turned out just perfect. Once you crush it, you could dip it in liquid starch, or spray it down with some. Of course an occassional squeeze could always keep it looking crinkly.

Good Luck!!
    :) Ferd

2. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Ferd - Thank you for the site and the idea. That could work really well! Also, I found a way to make a cheap dress form that is my own shape. Something I just started looking into! This forum has helped me is so many ways! It just keeps getting better!

Regards,
    M.

3. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    Eeek! I just realized my dear MIL lives next door to a Meijer's! Does anyone have a number or brand to identify the table cloth with? I've asked her to pick one up for me but she's afraid she'll get the wrong thing. I've described it in detail but she's still unsure.
    Many thanks in advance to all in Ohio! :)

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    That tutorial is awsome!!!

And Mirax are you thinking about making a duct tape double? It's wonderful! I can't remember what I did without it :)

5. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Your headband looks fantastic. I have to get some of that ribbon, my aunt lives in san francisco so I e-mailed her the photo of the ribbon and she's going to get some for me. Does anyone know if there is any left. I thought I read that someone had got the last piece.
    liannb

6. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    liannb- I just went to britex on saturday
    and bought some of the ribbon.. there
    was still at least two yards left then.

7. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    afaeryschild,
    Thanks, hopefully there is still some left by the time my aunt goes.

8. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I don't know what the sku # is for the tablecloth, but it is called "Antique Rose." It's sheer material with roses embroidered on it. There's nothing else there that's like it, so it shouldn't be too hard for her to pick out! [face_clown]

9. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I'm almost done with my dress! I really only have finishing touches left. I need to hem it, finish the waistband, attach the cape and add ribbons. I really want to use silk ribbon and even had some extra from my last project, but I can't find it. I think it may have been on my desk and Koshka jumped on it and knocked it in the trash. Oh well :)

Here's a link to the first picture, which I took in the mirror without a flash, so it's not very good, but if you haven't noticed I'm kind of picture happy, so here it is anyway :)

My dress A direct link to the picture

Or, I just worked on the page a little more. I wasn't expecting to do this tonight, but I got carried away :) The Picnic Dress part of my page I put up information about the skirt and a "sneak peek" of the dress :)

Katherine

10. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    Oops, double posted :)

Katherine

11. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow Obi-Dawn, your headband looks great! I actually tried cutting out some flowers from my cape fabric last Sunday, and was having trouble with the roses unraveling. I will have to try again, I actually have some of that "Stiffy" stuff, maybe that would help?

I also noticed a while back that the skirt waistband is somewhat wide and didn't have embroidery on it. (one less thing to have to embroider is always good)

Katherine, your dress looks great! After seeing yours I can't wait to start some actual SEWING, but I must be patient and test out my patterns with cheap fabric first.

I'm happy some of you have been able to get the headband ribbon at Britex. Perhaps if some of you call them and arrange to mail a picture of the ribbon to them, they can mail it out to you? http://www.britexfabrics.com/

-kay dee

12. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I have a duct tape double and it is wonderful:) Not the cheapest personalised dress form, but close.

You can also make a brwon paper tape form using nearly the same method, which is probaly cheaper and more light weight.

And then there is also the foam fille version, which is perhaps the best, but more expensive as it involves plaster bandages for the mold and spray foam to fill and make the form.

I was lucky enough to dl the intructions that people now have to pay for for free a few years back so I know how to duct tape myself now. Now one wonders how one gets around copyright if one wanted to explain for others....

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Britex is out of the ribbon, I'm so dissapointed, but they say they are getting more in. So my relatives will keep checking for me.
    My chemise is almost done. I love it. It's perfect. I got the sleeves just right. I was worried about where to place the elastic but it turned out great, i was having a lot of trouble with the cuffs but my mom ended up doing them and they look just like the picture, I just need to hem the bottom and the neck and sew on the white flowers. for the flowers I bought the smallest size sequins in the pearly/opalescent colour and I'm just clipping out the corners to make it four petalled and they look pretty good, but its time consuming.
    liannb

14. Creena

Creena Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    well done, lianneb... i can't find any flower sequins in my local and therefore it's a great idea to cut them out. thanks very much for it!

15. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    If anyone is interested in making a dress form, this website give directions on a couple of different methods:
    Dress Form Directions

I'd love to make this beautiful dress, but I am just a sewing beginner, and I am throwing all my efforts into the simpler jedi robe. I plan on making one of these dress forms because my boyfriend is getting tired of posing for me! :)
    ecila

16. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    I finished my dress and have pictures! Real ones this time instead of pictures I took myself in the mirror :)

I just wanted to thank everyone on the board too, I've learned so much and have gotten so many ideas! I'll still visit regularly, since I love seeing what everyone else is doing. Now I think I want to make another dress too, maybe the silver senate dress?

Here's a picture of the finished dress:

[image=http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/picnic9.jpg]

The page is My Picnic Dress

Katherine

17. Julia_aka_JJ

Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Wow Koshka - your dress turned out beautifully! Good job. Which dress do you mean - the lavender gown when she's packing?

18. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Koshka- The Dress looks great!! Do you have an occassion to wear it to? You might have to come up with one :)

Do come back and visit often--and you can't stop after making only one version of this dress--it gets in your blood and you can live unless you are making this dress in some version---Right OBI-DAWN???
    -Ferd

19. Antigone_Maroon

Antigone_Maroon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Hello I'm Vicki and I'm a half-occasional poster half-lurker on this thread. I thought I'd come out of the shadows just to say I love your dress Koshka. It's absolutely gorgeous, I think that you will have to come on with an occasion to wear it to.

20. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Katherine, Your costume looks beautiful! I'm sure you'll find a party to wear it to.

I'm slowly prodding away on my costume. I came up with a pattern for the cape (That was a lot of work!) but I'm going to hold off on cutting it until I've made my blouse (I want to make sure it all fits together). I've started working on my skirt because that pattern will require the least amount of altering.

I have a question about the shoes for this costume. I read in an earlier post that they looked like lace up granny shoes. Are they like boots? Or do they have straps rather than laces? I just can't envision them.

Any descriptions of the shoes would be appreciated!

Thanks,

kay dee

21. Koshka-the-Cat

May 27, 2002
    Thanks so much for all the compliments :)

As for wearing it, I'm currently planning on wearing it to the premiere of Episode III :)

Actually, I'm sure I'll come up with something earlier. I have a friend who wants Jedi robes and another friend who wants Sith robes. Once I make those we're planning on going out randomly in costume, of course, they live 2000 miles away in different cities :)

It's also my likely Halloween costume. I start teaching this year, last Halloween I was observing in a first grade classroom and dressed in a Regency dress, it just confused all the kids. So this year, I'd like to wear something they can recognize! I also wore a Regency dress when my friend's Star Wars group came to town. So if the occasion ever arises again...

Kay_dee, congratulations on getting the cape pattern! That was the most frustrating part to me (even more so than destroying my first blouse!). Although, I don't really think frustrating is the best word, since I truly enjoyed every minute of working on this!

The packing dress is the one I'm thinking of next. I went to the Padawan's Guide and looked at the pictures to find one that looked "easy." Of course, I don't know how to embroider, so I'll have to figure something out for the front (or learn how, which is on the list of things to learn anyway). Right now I have no plans for another picnic dress, but once I learn, who knows? :) My next project though, is a vastly different Civil War dress (though I am making a new corset for it) which I'm trying to make as accurate as possible. So, I have plenty of time for the fabric/pattern search :)

Also, if anyone has a picnic dress page that they'd like me to link to, please let me know! I'm planning on getting a links page together just for this dress. I've been to Obi Dawn's, Mrs Mayim Naar's and Ferdalump's, and would like to link you if you don't mind :)

Katherine

22. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Katherine--link as you wish, I would be proud to be linked to you :)
    Are you going to do the headpiece? I think the little kids would love to see a teacher with buns on her head. I think you'll have a place in their hearts forever.
    Can't wait to see your next project.
    -Ferd
    P.S. You can see her shoes when she and Ani are rolling around on the ground. They look to me like pointed toed white shoes with a square heel, possibly a strap going from the top of the foot to around the ankle, but I'm pretty sure they're not boots :)

23. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Katherine - Your dress is just lovely! I really like your take on the embroidery. It's recognizable, yet personalized. I'm a teacher, too and I'll be wearing my Picnic Dress to school on Halloween for sure! Luckily, my students are older (8th grade) and know my obsession, so they just nod and smile (and wish in their pre-teen hearts that they were as cool as me! ;) )

Regards,
    M.

24. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Been out of town for a weekend, so I haven't been back to this site in a couple of days.

Koshka your dress is beautiful! Excellent work! As for the link, I would be thrilled to be linked to from your site!

25. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    OMG, I just got around to looking at your dress, Koshka! It's stunning! Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.