Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Koshka, your dress is just beautiful! Congrats on finishing it. From all the detailed pictures it is evident that it is made very well. :D
    I'd love it if you linked my site on your page too, thanks. I've actually been tinkering with it lately, trying to make it look better.

I'm currently working on embroidering the corset right now. It's going slowly because I haven't had much time to devote to it. Our house is on the market right now and realtors are constantly calling for appointments, showing up early or late...or sometimes not at all! and I can't make a sewing mess because the house has to look sparkling clean all the time.... :( ACK!
  2. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    RE: SHOES

Thanks for the info about the shoes Ferd. I don't think I'll be seeing the movie again for a while, so I appreciate the description. I'm thinking they sound kind of like ball room dance shoes. Are the straps similar to the ones in this photo?

http://www.championdanceshoes.com/products/womens/pumps/item/lena.htm

I saw some bridal shoes like this at Lacis for about $40.00.

If one of you can let me know if this is the right idea I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks,

Kay Dee
  3. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Kay-Dee- just checked out your link and those shoes look pretty close to me, except for the color of course :) I don't know if her heel is a little bigger than that, who knows we only get to see such a tiny glance of them. Just an idea for those of you who aren't sticklers for 100% accuracy, I embellished a pair of sandals for a young lady to wear with her dress. I used a gold metallic strappy flat sandal (Sam and Libby) and sewed little rosebuds to them and then tied the ribbons in the wrist colors to slightly dangle around the ankle. I thought they turned out really cute. Again, not accurate but matched the outfit and were fun!
    -Ferd :)
  4. Antigone_Maroon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Awww sweet! I really like the sound of your version of the shoes FERDALUMP. I just thought I'd post quickly to say that I think you can get dance shoes from dance shops (in leather, satin and other fabrics) which look very similar to the ones that Kay Dee suggested (but probably with a lower heal and a higher comfort factor). I was also thinking how some sort of little, flat, gold, beaded slippers might look quite sweet.
  5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi all! :D
    I just gave my website a major overhaul! I added the beginnings of a tutorial too. Let me know if you think it looks alright. (I have limited web design skills! LOL!)

website overhaul

Regarding her shoes, I know the screen time for them is fleeting, but I'm under the impression that they are white and gold with no heel. Just my humble opinion. As surly_girlie so aptly described them once: "They look like space keds...." [face_laugh]

6. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    OBI-DAWN- You are the perfectionist off all perfectionists!! I am in awe of your incredible patience and attention to detail. YOU GO GIRL!!!! :) :)

Space Keds--Ya'll make me laugh :D
  7. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Obi-Dawn -- the new site looks really wonderful. Great job!

Glad my space keds comment has brought some chuckles to the universe....
    :)

EDIT: Eeeeeeeek! Koshka, I haven't yet told you how lovely your costume is! Sorry to have been pokey with the kudos...

-sg

8. Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks again for all the compliments, I'll admit it, I love hearing them :)

Obi-Dawn, don't you hate it when real life gets in the way of sewing? Happens to me all the time. Your page is looking great though, I love the step by step on the embroidery. I have to learn!!!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only teacher who will be wearing this dress on Halloween. I probably will do the buns too, so my students will have a very definite impression in their memories. I want to teach first grade, which is the grade I'm student teaching now (year round schools). I don't remember much from then, but if my teacher had come in dressed like that :)

About the embroidery on my dress, I actually found embroidered fabric. I was considering a plain corset then went searching online and found a very pretty gold brocade with pink flowers. I ordered it and the next day I found the perfect fabric for the cape (an embroidered silk organza) from a post on this board (thanks, whoever posted that link!) and they had a matching silk dupioni. So, I ordered those too. I still plan to make a dress out of the brocade. Similar to this actually, I'll make a corset with it and pair it with a black chiffon skirt. Another outfit with no place to wear, but I think it'll be nice :)

Ferdalump, I love that shoe idea! I may do it, since I'm not going for strict accuracy...

This dress is so easy to obsess over :)

Katherine
  9. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OBI-DAWN, thank you thank you thank you for the excellent tutorial on the embroidery for the corset. I wanted to start mine but wasn't sure how to go about getting it just right. Your site will be a huge help. liannb
  10. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Dawn - your web site overhaul is very helpful! I will study the embroidery tutorial when I get ready to do my corset. I'm kind of frustrated right now with my skirt. I tried using the sewing machine to do my vines, but I'm not happy with the results. I think I'm going to chain stitch it all by hand, but I'm afraid it's going to take an eternity!

About the shoes - now I'm confused! Space keds? Do the shoes lace up like a tennis shoe? Or is it a strap as Ferd says? Ferd seems to think they have a square heel. Is the heel low? Like 1'' or 1/2"? If so, they sound more like Jazz shoes. Do they look something like this? http://www.parti-time.com/catalog/product-detail.asp?ProductID=INTL%2DHeather%2DBei%2D15

or this:
    http://www.direct-conect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=200&Product_Code=Model+1026+Beige+Leather&Category_Code=l-suspadance

or this?

http://www.direct-conect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=200&Product_Code=060-047-121+Beige+Python+%2F+Suede&Category_Code=l-diamants

Ack! I wish this movie was out on DVD so I could freeze frame and look at the darn shoes!

-Kay Dee
  11. Jenny-LaFleur Jedi Padawan

I read on this board about a curtain at Linens & Things (sorry can't remember who suggested it) so I went and looked at it last week. It is called Vintage and is $30.00 for a 54"x84" panel. It looks pretty good to me. The roses are a little small and the design is close to perfect, a lot like Kosha's in fact. The bad bit is that the green variegated edging is only on the bottom, not enough to go around the whole cape.
    I also found the same curtain, also called Vintage, at JC Penny (for $50.00). The Penny's online catalogue also has a matching shower curtain called Antique Rose (uhmm...). I need to go back to the store and look for this. I'm still looking everywhere for that 15.00 table cloth!
    I know some ladies on this board have the table cloth, could you scan it so I can see what I'm looking for?
    Thanks so much!
    sliding back into the lurker world...
    Jenny-Rose
  12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi :)

I'm very happy to hear that my site stuff is giving some of you ideas and that it looks alright. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do the embroidery, and probably better ways, but this is the way that worked for me and if it can help some of you out then I'm super glad about it! :D
    (FERD, your 'You go girl!' made me laugh and laugh!)

Jenny, I'll try to get a scan of the tablecloth up sometime today or tomorrow. I'll let you know when I do.

As for her shoes...man, I just don't know. You can see the toe of them in the visual dictionary and there are screencaps somewhere of her and Anakin rolling around in the grass that sorta shows them. I have those screencaps saved, so if anyone wants me to e-mail them to you I can. Just let me know. :)
  13. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    Jenny,

I have seen those panels and the tablecloth
    matches it *exactly*, it's even by the same
    company "Victorian elegance".

It's awesome if you want a nice looking
    cape (like me) but it's far from accurate
    as the vine work and flower groupings are
    different.

You could ask if they could special order
    it for you, or some of the people here live
    in the midwest and are sweet enough to mail
    them to people who don't. Hope this helps.

14. Jenny-LaFleur Jedi Padawan

Thanks Obi-Dawn, for your great close ups and embroidery sketches. Your site looks great and your new corset will be incredible. (I forgot to mention it in my last post!)
    I have a few questions for you... What color thread did you use (on both corsets) for the yellow "flames"? What kind of thread did you use for the machine embroidery on the skirt? What fabric are you using for your new corset?

My finaces are very tight right now and probally will be for a while so I'm trying make this dress with little or no cost. So I'm going for pretty & close but not 100% acurate. I've had to give up the all silk dream for now and am left with rummaging around the house for fabric. That is not so hopeless as it sounds actually, with 3 seamstresses in the house so we own a small fabric store here! :-> I'm having to think outside the box and this board has been wonderful with ideas for that - thank you so much!

Wow if they are the same maybe I can get a special order. What are the dimensions of the tablecloth? It still sounds like a better deal to me. I just keep hoping I will find that tablecloth in town.
    Jenny-Rose
  15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Jenny, I sent you a pm about the tablecloth. :) Thanks for looking at the site.
    For the embroidery on the corset I'm just using regular old DMC embroidery floss. I've been using colors #742, 743, 727, and 5282 for the yellow flames. The thread on the skirt/sleeve vining was just normal sewing thread. I did use two different colors to give it dimension. I might do something different on the second version. Not sure yet.
    And the corset fabric I'm using was recommended to me by FERDALUMP :D . It can be found at either JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. It's called Metallic Crunch Gold and the sku# for it at JoAnn's is 5894373. It was under $10 a yard at both places, although Hobby Lobby is cheaper. JoAnn's will order it if they don't have it in the store. I really like it.
    The silk that I'm planning to use is going to be from Dharma and isn't too expensive either. A bolt of 11 yards is under $50 (I think), so I think I'm doing pretty good cost wise.
  16. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Jenny if you need someone to buy the tablecloth for you, just let me know. I have shipped them to two people now, and I would be more than happy to get one for you too. Just PM me if you ever want one. This goes for anyone who needs one and doesn't have a local Meijer's store! [face_clown]

Obi-Dawn excellent tutorial! ou put mine to shame! [face_clown] of course you tend to raise the bar of perfection for the rest of us on a frequent basis... lol

Does anyone have any thoughts on what type of dye and what color I should use? My corset fabric is an off-white polyester blend, and I've been told that this can be somewhat difficult to dye. Any suggestions? The fabric is just perfect, but the color is wrong. Ahh!

Also, where can I get that Britex ribbon? What color is used? I completely missed the discussion on this. [face_clown]
  17. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    RE: Britex Ribbon

The Britex Ribbon is a greenish colored trim used for the headband. Obi-Dawn has photos of it up on her site. It sounds like the last person to visit Britex Fabrics in San Francisco said they were sold out of the trim. The sales person said they would get more of it in, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the last of it. I know that with the Fabric, if they don't have more of it in back stock the odds are they can't get more of it. Next time I get my hair cut in the City I will check to see if they've gotten anymore in.

-kay dee
  18. Renaissance_Woman Jedi Knight

Mrs_MayimNaar: Might I recommend fabric paints for the corset instead of dye. I'm also using a poly blend for the fabric and tried to dye it but all I could come up with was a pale yellow. So I picked up some Lumiere fabric paint in "Metallic Gold" from Dharma Trading, and it's worked out beautiful. It does stiffen the fabric significantly, but since it's a corset it doesn't really matter. And the color is perfect, a nice yellow gold. Once I get my camera fixed I'll start to post some images.
  19. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ren-Woman, great idea! A few questions though: Did the stiffer fabric make the corset hard to work with for embroidery, etc? Also did you paint it before or after you sewed the pieces together? I am very very anxious to start the corset, but I don't want to even cut the fabric until I know how I'm going to color the fabric!

For dye experts, are there any very strong dyes that may do the job as well?

I am a total novice. The most experience I've ever had with dying fabric is tie-dye! Aaack!
  20. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Mrs Mayim- I have dyed poly often and have had much sucess. Usually if you want a stronger color I recommend boiling it and also use double the amount of dye. I just stick it on the stove and boil away. For my pastel dress (I know I know other thread--just advising on dye :) ) I dyed a poly chiffon several colors- I used RIT for the pink, yellow and mauve and blue grayish. I found that DYE IT worked a little better for the purple. (and that requires room temp water an worked like a dream) If you have extra fabric go ahead and test. They say all the time that poly doesn't dye, I have NEVER had a problem, it just takes a little more time. --FERD :)
  21. Judy Jedi Padawan

Hello everybody!

It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread, as it is the middle of summer con season for me (ack! I need to make another costume???) Well, I can finally start on the picnic dress, and last night, I was at Bed Bath and Beyond and saw the curtain?. and almost ran home to post and tell everyone about it? and found out everyone already knew! Ack! So, is the consensus that the curtain (at Bed Bath and Beyond, Linens and Things, and JCPenney) is the same pattern as the tablecloth? (at the department store in the midwest??). I hate cheating like this, but I was really hesitant to try embroidering on tulle anyway. I can tell you that the curtain, isn't 100% accurate, but so unbelievably close that either the company that made it, or Trisha, were inspired by each other?The differences are mostly that the variegated large scalloped edging on the curtain is made out of smaller scallops, and the vines connect in a square shape, with roses at the corners?

Oh, and I didn't realize sooo many people on the list were from the Bay Area! me too! And I love Fabrics R Us!! (I have to say, that after an afternoon there, my roommate and I keep saying "One Ya?? to each other for the rest of the day :)"
  22. Creena Jedi Padawan

Ferdalump,... just for me to understand this properly.... you boiled the fabric???
    Doesn't that shrink terribly???
    I am a little bit confused, as you can see...

23. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    In the old dye thread, when I brought this topic up they recomended boiling it as well. The only problem I have is not knowing what color and brand to use for this corset. Plus, I don't know how to do it! [face_clown] I guess there will be directions with whatever dye I purchase. I am just so scared. I don't want to ruin my perfect fabric! [face_clown]
  24. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    No problem- I realize it sounds a little odd :) You basically make the dye bath by mixing the powedered dye (or liquid) and dissolving the salt(or soda ash) into hot hot water. Then you add this to the pot of water on the stove ( I use a Really big pot-like one for canning) and bring the water to a boil (Med-High) You wet the fabric before hand and ring it out well (this helps the fabric dye evenly) I put in the fabric and reduce the heat to about Med. I stir it occassionally with a wooden spoon-making sure to move it around pretty well. This method is referred to on the RIT box as the stove top method. As far as shrinkage, I usually buy more yardage of fabric I intend on dying--2 reasons, so I can TEST, and so that if it shrinks I still have enough to use for my project. I usually pre-wash the fabric in the machine on HOT with this liquid called Syrathanol(sp??) It's a little bottle of liquid that prepares the fabric for the dying process by basically stripping of the other chemicals and such. DYE IT dyes come with a package of it. Hope that makes sense and helps you out a little :)

-Ferd
  25. Creena Jedi Padawan

Thanks Ferdalump, I will give it a try, even though I have to admit, that I am a little bit scared.......
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.