main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Speaking as a chronic 'information-hound,' I can say that a website would be ideal. Also, I suggest a webservice such as Bravenet, who give 100mb free. Plenty of room for hosting pictures, even hi-rez ones. Photos of people's costumes in progress are invaluable as well. I've probably stared at everyone's for hours so far and I haven't even started mine. Links too the (hundreds of) SW sites would be great, all that sort of stuff. It would be great if everyone who made this dress contributed pictures, etc. It's probably been said...but here I'm saying it.

So speaketh the Wench!

Kate

Edit:Obi-Dawn must've posted at the same time. Hey look! I'm on page 25. o_O
    Anyhow, I have plenty of webspace left in my Bravepages account, if I'm feeling adventurous enough to tackle the HTML I'll try to set something up. Is that okay with everyone? Feel free to contribute! (Kate is not friends with HTML. We don't get along very well...)

2. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Wow! I go out of town for a week and this thread grows by three pages!!

A lot sure has happened in one week! [face_clown]

Well, I didn't get to dye my fabric before I left, so I am going to tackle that sometime this week -- just as soon as I get this massive pile of laundry done!

I'll post my results as soon as I have them. [face_clown]

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Heres some info on what I've done with my dress.

The skirt:
    I used Simplicity pattern 8715. I used chiffon fabric in a kind of butterscotch colour, I made it with three layers. The top two layers have vining and the bottom most layer is plain. For the waistband I made a long sleeve at the top and just ran elastic through it. Its a bit bulky but the corset will hide that.

The vining:
    I used the button hole stitch to do the vining on the skirt and blouse. (I've only just read the sewing machine manual and realised what I was using) I used mettler thread #544, its a pale green, and I did it in a criss cross diamond shape pattern.

The little white flowers:
    I bought the smallest size, pearl/opal white round sequins and cut out the four corners to make a four petaled flower. It sounds time consuming but its not that bad.

The blouse and sleeves:
    I used simplicity pattern 9125. Its a dress pattern but I just used the top part of the dress. It has a flat top line which I liked with no gathering or elastic. The actual shirt part I used two layers of chiffon and for the sleeves I used three layers. I modified the sleeve patern by just keeping the part that joins with the top and widened and lengthened the rest of it. Then put two pieces of elastic in appropriate places. For the cuff I gathered the fabric and trimmed it to look like the original. I used eyes and hooks to close it in back.

The Corset:
    I used mccalls pattern #3315. I used gold crinkle fabric lined with crepe back satin. I eleminated the seam down the centre so as not to interfear with the embroidery. I am using hooks and eyes in the back to close it. I used Obi-Dawns pattern for the embroidery as well as the same embroidery floss except I might use verigated green for the vines and leaves. I haven't decided If I'm using floss or ribbon to make the roses, most likely ribbon.

The Headband:
    I haven't got any britex ribbon yet but I've found something to make do. I haven't started making this yet.

Hair buns:
    I crocheted them myself with gold thread.

The Cape:
    I'm using tuille, died using orange pekoe tea to the same colour as the rest of my fabric. I boiled the fabric and tea in a pot to set the dye then dried it in the drier.
    I have just cut out the shape. What worked best for me was I pinned the tuille to the top edge of my blouse to get the right shape cut around the top them I had my mom model it while I cut it free hand the roughly the right shape. I still have to cut the scallops and I'm using sulky thread #932 to do the edging along with tear away stabilizer. And I'll embroider the roses and vining by hand.

I think thats about it. I have a few photos posted at:
    http://www.photolof.com/view/allalbums.asp?.s=cano&u=1742946

I'll be taking more photos soon. Sorry this is such a long post. liannb

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thank you liannb, that was a wonderfully informative post. :)

As for the new consolidated thread idea, I don't know if I should do it or not. Sounds like some of you would prefer a separate website and I'm not interested in doing that. I only want to organize our mass quantity of info on this site since it is a pretty high profile resource for costumers. I've got it pretty much done but now I don't know what to do with it. I guess I'll just hold on to it until more of our regular posters give their opinion. :)

5. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    If you have it, by all means, POST it! I started typing up HTML and after ten minutes threw up my hands and ran for the hills! Sewing I can handle. Webdesign...no way. :eek:

Great pictures, liannb!

Kate

6. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Obi-Dawn - Maybe, better than a new thread, you could ask one of the mods to let you insert it on Page One of this existing thread? That way we'll all know where to look without having to search for another thread.

Just a thought,
    Regards,
    M.

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Obi-Dawn, if making a web page with the information is too much work don't worry about it. I guess as long as the last message in this thread points to the new thread and this thread can be closed that would work.

I just figrued since you had a web site up it was just as easy to put the info onto yor web page. I'm on friendly terms with HTML - so I guess I take it forgranted. (I'm just too lazy to use the mark-up codes when I I post here :p )

Obi-Dawn I don't have a problem with you linking to my images. However, they are up on that awful Angelfire site right now and you can't hyperlink to it. I should really move them to another server. Ugh, I'm too lazy.

-Kay Dee

8. JediPadawanAmarie

JediPadawanAmarie Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    Alright, I am totally making this dress. I am using the sewing machine for the first time on this dress, but I am doing it. I am using a pretty simple pattern for the whole dress except for the sleeves and the cape. The dress pattern is McCall's 3538. The only problem with it is that it laces up in the back, and I'm not sure if the real dress does that, her hair is always in the way. I am doing the cape free handed (just a half moon type thing), but I have no idea what to do for the sleeves. I suppose I will have to once again search for a pattern that will work. I bought the fabric as well, it isn't perfect, but it will work. The hard part is going to be the embroidering, I am dreading it, being how it is that I dont know how to. Hehehe! There's a first time for everything eh? I have looked through this thread, and all of your dresses are so wonderful! It's more encouraging for me. I'm making this dress even if it kills me!

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Mirax, thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think I'm going to pursue the idea anymore.

kay_dee, thanks, but it was never my intention, nor my idea, to just put the info on my site or any other for that matter. If someone wants to make a new site, then do it! I just wanted to make all the wonderful info we've amassed here easier for newcomers, and us, to access here.

I don't want to assume that what I've come up with would please anyone, so I'll let it be and stick to sewing.

*...goes back to her embroidery...* :)

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome JediPadawanAmarie! You are going to have a blast making this dress!

The actual costume doesn't lace up the back. I believe it was MiraxTHorn who got it straight from Trisha Biggar that it has a hook and eye closure. Hope that helps. :D
    And, please, post pics if you can!

11. JediPadawanAmarie

JediPadawanAmarie Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2002
    FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!!! I just read through the last thread page, and saw the star wars simplicity pattern they made for this dress. AGH! It is so much better than mine! I am going nuts! I will have to see if I have enough of the right fabric to make this pattern instead, because it is sooo much closer to the dress than mine. Grrr.... I hope this works out! But anyways, thanks for the welcome, and the info about the back of the dress. :)

12. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Hook-and-eye closure of the same type that women close certain *ahem* garments with? Those tiny kind, or is it more like skirt ones? Those are wider...would they therefore be sturdier? Is 'sturdier' even a word?

Bah. I'm tired of me.

Kate

13. Sye-Jon_Jinn

Sye-Jon_Jinn Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    So does anyone have a completed gold flower outfit yet? I'm looking for someone to make one/sell one for a friend of mine.

14. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Sorry, I made a huge mistake on my blouse information. I used Mccalls pattern 3535 and rather then the v shaped neck I just made it straight across.

JEDIPADAWANAMAREI, The embroidery is very easy, I was really worried about it but I'm really happy how mine is turning out.
    liannb

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    If we are going to start a new thread, I would be happy to take on the job of consolidating all the info. so far into one easy-to-read post. It will take me a day or two to do it, but I don't mind.

Does anyone have a problem with this? I don't want to step on any toes [face_clown]

EDIT: nothing new, but here's a hi-res version of an older pic, courtesy of TNA.com.

16. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Sorry to change the topic from the
    exciting prospect of the new and
    improved and indexed thread..

Obi-Dawn, you mentioned that the
    skirt had a yoke. Now, I know what
    a yoke is in the shirt sense and I
    have an idea of what one is for
    a skirt.. but I have looked on the
    net and I haven't seen any patterns
    or instructions as how to do one!

Though I am not doing my skirt as
    full (I have hips unlike NP) I really
    want the same feel. Where would
    I find a yoke pattern to use with
    my skirt pattern? Or can I do it
    freehand?

Edit: Sorry, Sye-Jon_Jinn.. Just
    saw your post!

It depends on your price range..
    I know ferdalump makes this dress
    you can see her gown here
    and there is a lady who makes
    another version here
    But she only has a Blue Tatooine
    Costume finished. Hope this helps!

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    afaeryschild -

I have scanned in a few images to help you with your yoke for the skirt. I happened to use a modified version of the yoke pattern from a Jeannie costume. McCall's pattern 9559. Just imagine that it is a skirt rather than pants. The instructions are scanned in as well.

I scanned the pattern I cut out at 100%, but it is viewing and printing smaller than actual size. Oh well, at least it gives you an idea.

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/yoke.htm

I hope that helps,

Kay Dee

18. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Sorry If I'm breaking a thread, but I just have to add my two cents. I've been away for a few days, and so much has happened. A new Padme pattern, talk of a new thread, and more new friends :) This dress will never die will it?! We won't let it.

Thanks for the link to my site fairychild--:)

And, on a personal note THANKS so much for all the kind words in PMs to me. I have been away from the boards due to a horrible tragedy in my family, and I just wanted to say that your words and flowers (OBI-DAWN) meant so much to me. I've missed you all, am so glad to be back :) :)
    Luv,
    Ferd

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    FERDALUMP, I am so glad to see you back here!
    I got nothing but hugs and smiles for you :D !

20. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Hooray! Ferd's back!

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm glad to see you, girlie!

-sg

21. Jenny-LaFleur

Jenny-LaFleur Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    If you want a rounded yoke, Simplicity 9825 has one. There is a picture of the skirt on the site: http://www.simplicity.com/s3index.htm

I just finished making up this pattern (for an everyday skirt) and it was really simple to make up.
    Jenny-Rose

22. Sakura

Sakura Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    Hi everyone I´m trying soooo hard to make this dress but I can´t find the exact fabric for the corset yet because they either do not have the fabric or the right color I´m going crazy. Well anyways talk to you later.

23. afaeryschild

Apr 2, 2002
    Thanks to Kay Dee and Jenny-Rose for
    the awesome help! The instructions are
    fabulous and I always love options!

Decisions... however ;)

Welcome back Ferdalump! You are
    not breaking the thread.. you are part
    of it!

24. Sye-Jon_Jinn

Sye-Jon_Jinn Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    afaeryschild, the first link that is posted isn't working, can you do it again or email or send me a private message of the link. my email is sye_jon_jinn@yahoo.com thank you very much!

25. afaeryschild

Apr 2, 2002
    Sorry about that.. I made it an .html
    instead of an .htm heh! 8-}

Here it is again without the goof up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.