main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Mirax! That sounds like a promising idea. When I get back home I'll experiment with it. :)

2. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Yay!! Oh how glad I am I found this site!! Is it NOT the most gorgeous thing!!? I think I'll just have to attempt to make it... but I think I'm gonna wait until AOTC come out... on video. I might collect some fabric here or there... but I'm going to wait so that when I make it it will be quite quite accurate! But I appauld you guys for what you are doing!! Yay!! Making pretty dresses!!

Are any of you going to the Celebration? They have a costume contest.... ;)

-~Dorme~-

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I have studied all of the pictures I have available to me and so far this is what I have come up with for this dress.

The dress appears to be made up of 3 parts, from what I can see. The under part, is a separate dress. This dress appears to be made of multipile layers, the top being sheer with vine/flower embroidery all over it. This dress appears to be off-the-shoulder with long sleeves. The sleeves are very loose, but get tighter closer to the wrist. They are then wrapped in four different color ribbons, crisscrossing from mid-arm to the wrist. These ribbons are knotted on the inside of her wrist and then the length of them hang down. The dress itself is realatively loose, but is held tight by the second part of the outfit.

The second part is a corset. It appears to have a "v" shaped waistline, with the point of the v in the front. It is straight across the top/neckline and appears to hit just above her chest, as any corset would. The top of the under layer/dress then sticks out above it. The corset also has straps that go over her shoulders, between the 1st and 3rd layers of the dress.

The third part is a sheer cape. In this picture:

http://www.thenextamidala.com/costumes/teaser_poster/nat01_mtv_.jpg

We see that the "cape" appears to hang down behind her. I beleive the top of the cape circles her shoulders. It may be attached to the rest of the dress somehow, but I haven't found anything to support either veiw. The bottom edge of the cape circles around her back and shoulders. It is long (maybe to her waist?) in back and tapers up in front to meet the top edge in the center of her chest (picture an upside-down-half-circle shaped cape). You can follow the line of the cape by looking at the yellow and green piping along the edges.

If you look closely at the vanity fair cover, you can see the three layers. Along the neckline you can clearly see two layers (the under-dress and the cape), but the straps of the corset go between them; look at her left shoulder. Also, I beleive that the cape is completely different embroidery than the dress. You can see white flowers on the skirt and these same flowers on her sleeves. I don't however beleive that they are on the cape, they merely show through it's sheer material. The embroidery on the cape matches the embroidery on the corset.

Any thoughts?

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    My thoughts exactly Mrs_MayimNaar! :D
    Here is the latest:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2002/02/img/padmepaperdoll_cover_bg.jpg]

5. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Wow! That shows a lot of detail, even though they are just drawings. This is probably a stupid question, but where did you get that picture from?

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I found it here:
    AOTCbooks

I've been hand sewing little white flowers onto the top layer of the skirt today. It's coming along quite nicely. :)

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    What fabric are you using for the corset/bodice? I was at Joanne's the other day and found lots of different examples of "Siam" fabric that has the same kind of wrinkled/folded texture as the picture. But they didn't have the right color....I'll have to keep looking.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I haven't started making the corset yet, but I did get some heavy satin that matches the color right on. It doesn't have the texture but I could live with it. Once it is embellished with the embroidery and flowers and the 'lines' I'm confident it will look nice. (As long as I don't screw it up that is! [face_laugh] ) I'm concentrating on the skirt right now and that will take up a fair amount of time. If I find a textured fabric like your talking about in the right color before I finish the skirt (and in enough time to finish it by the Celebration) I would want to use it instead. Thanks for the tip about the Siam. :D

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I decided on a pattern to use for the under part. I am going to modify Simplicity #9125 a little bit. Has the right neckline and cut. I'll just have to make the skirt fuller and modify the sleeves at the wrists.

ObiDawn, you will have to put up pictures when you get this dress finished!

I am so excited to make it, but I definately won't be able to start for a while. Too much else going on right now. But I am compliling the things I will need for it and all the tips people are giving are very helpful.

10. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I must apologize for my completely incorrect advice about the sleeves on the previous page. ^^; I finally got hold of a Vanity Fair over the weekend, and blushed pretty hard when I saw the ribbons tied around her arms. [face_blush] I'm so *so* sorry. So, I know most people here have a copy of the magazine by now, but for those who don't, I scanned the cover and left it large so you can see the details of the stunning dress.

Vanity Fair Cover (273k)

The pic is large! I tried to keep it as close to the actual size of the magazine as possible. So, if you have a slow connection, be prepared to wait a few minutes while it loads.

Again, I'm sorry!!
    kreleia ^^;

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    It's okay kreleia, the previous pics we had of it were pretty hard to make out! :) The scan you posted is beautiful. I like it large!

I went to the fabric store this morning and bought five more yards of the trim I'm cutting the little white flowers from. Tedious work this is! [face_mischief] So far I have one panel of the overskirt finished with flowers. Just two more to go and then the sleeves! It's a good thing I love this dress so much, otherwise I don't think I'd have the patience to do this.

I sent in my application for the Celebration costume contest today. That means I HAVE to get it done by then. Good incentive. ;)

I will put up some pics of it in progress when I get a bit more finished.

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    How are you doing the vine embroidery on the skirt? Also, how did you end up doing the back? I thought of making the corset tie in the back. Maybe with ribbons that match the sleeves... Who knows. I hate that we have to go on pure speculation until the movie comes out! [face_clown]

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the pattern I have for the corset laces up in the back. I'll probably just do it that way, although I haven't decided yet. I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can before the Celebration to see if a pic of the back shows up anywhere.
    As for the vine design on the dress fabric, I experimented with sewing on some narrow trims and really didn't like the look of them. They weren't the right color and looked too bulky. So, I played around with scraps of fabric and the sewig machine. I decided on a tight zig-zag stitch using two different colors of thread to give it some dimension. Then I just started stitching the design on freehand. They only bump in road has been some slight puckering. I found that by going slow, especially when making curves, it helped. It's actually a lot of fun to do. Hope that makes sense. :)

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK...a few more questions to anyone making this dress. Some are stupid, some are actually useful. Anyways...

1) How many layers are you making the skirt of the dress? It looks like there are two or three, but I can't tell.

2) What fabrics are being used? I decided on "Siam" fabric for the corset, because it appears to have the same texture.

3) How long of a skirt are you making? I'm assuming it should probably trail on the ground a bit -- that seems to fit her style. But I haven't decided how to go about that yet.

4) Haha -- this is a cheesy question, but necessary. What are you doing for shoes??

We definately need to see more of this dress! Hopefully more of it will be revealed in the next trailer!

15. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Everyone,

I'm grinning from ear to ear and just itching to finally get started on my dress because I found the perfect fabric today. I found the crinkled look fabric in the home decorating section of a 'fancy' fabric store. The color and the texture match perfectly. And, then, all I had to do was find a matching color in crepe for the skirt and blouse. I'm doing mine as one layer for both, rather then a sheer over something solid. Figured that was one way to save a little bit of money.

I also bought tulle to use for the scarf piece. Have you all decided exactly how you're doing that? Is it a seperate piece that clasps at the front? Or is it actually attached to the top of the blouse with the yellow/green piping? Also, how far down her back does it go and is it likely to be split up the back middle?? That and the straps over her shoulders are the only big questions I need to answer. Do the straps attach to the corset or the blouse?? If the corset, then I think the scarf almost has to be a seperate piece.

Mrs. M. I'm also wondering about shoes. I think I'm going to make my hem just shy of floor length, so whatever I decide on won't show anyway.

Well, I'm going to finish up my contest application and get down to work. I'm practically giddy about this. Hope all is going well for the rest of you!
    Regards,
    M.

16. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    The new pic of this dress in People, which can be seen here looks as though it will answer many questions on the cut and layering of this dress. Just FYI for those of you working on it...

-sg

17. Dayda_Amidala

Dayda_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001

oops.....

18. Master_MayimNaar

Master_MayimNaar Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2001
    That picture from People is GREAT! It shows so much detail! You can see the cuffs of the sleeves much better, and you can see how long the cape is -- it looks like it drapes halfway down her thighs.

I was so excited when I opened my mailbox and saw the magazine inside it. Unfortunatly the picture is in the People special edition! :eek:( Guess I'll have to get to the store to buy it!

Mirax -- I am going to attach the cape to the top of the bodice. I was thinking that it may fall down to far if it's not attached. It sits too low on the shoulders and is too loose to not be attached. I think I am just going to attach it along the front and back and leave it loose on the sides. It looks like in the new picture, the sleeves hang kind of loosely...

19. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OOPs! Sorry guys, that last post was from me! I didn't realize my husband's username was still signed on! I figured I better clear that up before I permananantly immasculate him with my giddiness about People Magazine!

20. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi,

Mrs. M. You idea about partially attaching the scarf shounds like a good one. I'm going to have to keep mulling that whole part over. Any thoughts on the green/yellow piping? I've been looking for ribbon or material with a similar pattern/color scheme. No luck so far.

I got a lot accomplished today. All of the corset is cut out. The lining is sewn together and I'm almost done with the main fabric. I can't put them together yet, though, because I need to get a zipper foot for my machine to sew in the boning. And, actually, I won't put the parts together until I get the embroidery on the bodice done first. All in all, though, a good day of sewing. I'll be anxious to get home tomorrow after work!

Hope all your projects are coming along, Everyone!
    M.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi everybody :)

Mirax, I'm so happy you found your fabric! That's so awesome! It's so exciting to get started on projects. :D

That new picture from People is great. It explains a lot about the cape and all of the ideas you guys have discussed about it sound great. Now, all we need is a picture of the back. And! We now know exactly how the corset looks at the waistline. Woo! Hoo!

Mirax, how are you doing the back of your corset? Are you going to do laces? I'm torn between that or just modifying my pattern to do a zipper. But, considering the femininty of this dress, it probably laces. What do you think?
    As for shoes, I'm plannig on wearing the satin slippers I wore at my wedding last year. They are like little ballet slippers and not only are they comfy, but dainty enough to go with the dress. (Probably no one will even see them! LOL! )

So, I spent over 5 hours last night sewing litle white flowers onto the second panel of chiffon for the top layer of the skirt. And, it's only 3/4 done! This is a labor of love......
    Here's a link to some in progress pictures:(disclaimer: :p The fabric is actually darker than it appears in the photos. I took a lot of pics in different lighting trying to get it to not looked so washed out, but, alas, this was the best my camera would do. [face_plain] Oh well, you guys get the gist.)

http://www.geocities.com/floofywankenobi/temporarypreviewfile.html?1015258717820

Happy sewing to you all. :)

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Looks fantastic, Obi-Dawn!
    All that hard work has really paid off!

-sg

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_blush] [face_blush]

Wow! Coming from you, surlygirlie, that is a massive compliment! Thank you so much :)

Yes, hard work is good. And this project is really teaching me patience, which I generally have vey little of. [face_laugh]

24. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Wow! That's very awesome!

25. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Obi-Dawn,

Your skirt looks beautiful!! I decided that will be my next phase in the project. I really wanted to get the bodice done since it invovles techniques I hadn't tried before. I'm so glad I did because it's giving me a major confidence boost. It was a lot easier to put together than I expected. (Course, I'm not completely done yet, so I should say, easier so far.)

I am doing laces up the back. I figure that with the scarf it won't be a big deal if that doesn't match. And, I think you're right about the femininity lending itself to laces. I also don't want to wait too long for a pic of the back since the front involves so much embroidery. That's what I'm going to be doing the rest of the week, I think. I'm going to try drawing it on tissue paper first and figure out how to transfer it. The crinkly fabric doesn't take marking really accurately.

I'm not 100% percent sold on the gypsy costume blouse pattern, so I still might change that. I'm worried that the gathering around the shoulders will be too bulky compared to the original. If anyone can think of a blouse pattern that might work better, I'd love to know about it. When I look at the sleeves in the VF pic, I see actual sleeves set in just below the fabric around the shoulder. I'd like to get that detail right, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

One last thing, has anyone been able to blow up the pic from the paper dolls and maintain the detail? I tried it, but it gets fuzzy when I blow it up. If you did, would you be willing to share? That would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the length, just getting so into this! I love a project!!
    Regards,
    M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.