Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Mirax, thanks!
    I feel the same about the sleeves on that pattern. I bought it but I haven't even opened it yet. I was figuring that some modifications would need to be made. If you see anything that might work better I'd love to know. After I finish with the skirt I'm going to start experimenting with the blouse.

I'm trying to think of a way for you to transfer the embroidery pattern onto your crinkly fabric. If I come up with anything I'll let you know. :)

You know, I tried blowing up the pic from the paper doll book too! It just got fuzzy... :(

Well, happy sewing to you! I'm off to continue the white flower project... [face_laugh]
  2. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    I was able to blow the paper doll up to about a third of my screen before it got to blurry, and it doesn't look like the details are anything that we don't already have so far. I don't think it would be mcuh help.

Mirax - For the dress I am using this pattern. I am going to modify it a little bit. But if you already have a pattern for the skirt, you might be able to cut the pattern at the waist to use it for the blouse. It won't be gathered and bulky around the shoulders, and it will give you the puffy/looseness of the sleeves. You would just have to modify the cuff area.

Obi Dawn - Your dress looks awesome! Am I looking at it right? Did you put beads around the edge of the larger green flowers? Anyways it looks great! I can't wait to see pics of the finished product!
  3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Okay, hours of white flowers later and the second panel is done! Now, I've just about run out of white flowers. Guess it's back to the fabric store....

Mrs_Mayimnaar, thank you. Actually the larger flowers are gold and they have gold thread embroidered around their edges. I cut them from a bridal trim that was *gulp* $7 a yard! Therefore...I only bought one yard! [face_laugh]

By the way, that Simplicity pattern #9125 is brilliant for the sleeves and neckline! With a little modification to the sleeves I think it would be great! Thanks for the pic of it, I hadn't seen it before. I must get it! :D
  4. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Mrs. M. - Thanks for the pattern idea. That might work. I had never thought about cutting down a dress with the right bodice/sleeve line. I'm going to go look again with that idea in mind. Think outside the box, right? : )

Obi-Dawn - How much trim have you gone through for the white flowers? I think I'm doing a pretty similar thing, cutting up trim to get the flowers. Right now I've got 4.5 yards of it. Did you happen to keep track? I want to get enough in case they don't have it after Easter. I also did the same as you for the larger flowers - 1 yard at $7. The things we do for our art, right?

Well, I'm off to draw the embroidery. ttys,
    M.
  5. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Where did you guys get your $7/yd. trim? It's perfect! I haven't started making the dress yet, but I am collecting all the fabrics and materials that I can.
  6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Mirax, let's see...I've gone through at least 8 or 9 yards of the white flower trim. And that only got two of the skirt panels done. I am going to buy at least 6 or 7 more for the third panel and the blouse just to be safe.
    Have you given any thought to how you are going to do the embroidery on the cape? Right now I'm thinking of just doing it all by hand. Well, the good news is that we still have two months before the Celebration to do it. :D We should have a picnic party together when we get there! [face_laugh]
    By the way, does the crinkly fabric you found for the corset have a name? I'd love to see it! I haven't been able to find anything crinkly at all. :(

Have fun drawing!

Mrs_M, I got the trim at Hancock Fabrics. It wasn't in the bridal section, but I think the tag on it said 'bridal' something or other.
  7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I got the Simplicity pattern #9125 last night and I am about to start making a mock up of it. Wish me luck! :D
  8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Okay, I've finished enough of the mock up of 9125 to know that it will work for my blouse. It's better than the other one I was considering. The sleeves need some modifications but other than that the neckline is good. :D
    Thanks again for suggesting it Mrs_M!
  9. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi Obi-Dawn,

Your idea for a "Picnic Dress" party sounds like fun! Let's plan on it! BTW, have you been wondering how many other people will be doing this dress? It's driving me crazy thinking about that : ) I entered the contest under talent rather than Hero so you and I wouldn't have to compete. I just couldn't bear the thought after we have been helping each other so much. Plus, it will give me a chance to sing and be a bit dramatic. Should be fun!

The decorating of this dress could end up costing as much or more than the dress itself. The white flowers I found cost $4 per 1.5 yards. So far I've bought 3 spools, but I doubt that will be enough. I haven't cut it apart yet to see. I'm still hoping it will go on sale.

And the roses! Now that we know more about the scarf, it seems like I need about 500 of them! At 79 cents per 8, that will add up fast. Not to mention being able to find them in that quanity. Anyone know of a wholesaler online or mailorder that sells that stuff?

OB-D, I'm planning to hand embroider the scarf/cape. I was thinking that 1/8" ribbon might work well since I'm doing it on Tulle. I'm also considering that for the bodice as well. Haven't decided for sure. What are you doing for all the yellow/orange scrolling on the front? Also, no clue what the crinkly fabric was called. This was from our trendy, fancy store. Expecting tags and asking the price are faux pas there. You know the kind of place. Anyway, it came on a roll in the decorating department. Very similar to the Siam fabric I saw elsewhere, though a little thinker, I think. Thank God I only needed one yard!

Mrs. M. I got my flowers at JoAnn's in the trim by the yard section. Mine look a little different. They are not as 'sparkly' as OB-D's. I am planning to sew them on with the green thread I use for the vining since they appear to have green accents in the picture. BTW, exactly which magazine is the new picture found in? I looked through the March issue of Instyle today, but didn't find it. It had Deborah Messing on the cover, I think.

Well, I'm off to put the boning in the bodice lining. I'm going to sew the lining and the front together along the top edge before I start decorating so I can gauge distance from the top more easily.

Take care,
    M.
  10. KirstenSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    For those of you making this dress who don't want to mess with the flowers on the bottom section, I ran across some lovely fabric that could work quite well when I was searching for fabrics for the blue dress. It's here under Newest Selections/Latest Fabrics. It's quite expensive, and you'd have to layer it with a gold fabric underneath, but it's quite beautiful.

-Kirsten
  11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hey Mirax! A picnic party it will be then! I can't wait to see your dress! :D If you want, we can make plans via private message on how to meet up.

Yes, I've been wondering how many other people are making it too, and that is so incredibly sweet of you to feel that way about competing against each other. I feel the same way too! I keep thinking, "Oh.....Mirax's dress is gonna be prettier than mine...*frett*...*frett*"! :p
    To tell the truth, I don't especially care about winning anything, I just want to make and wear a pretty dress! [face_mischief] And I hope your dress turns out gorgeous! (Plus, I can't wait to hear you sing too! This is gonna be so much fun.)

Tell me about the cost of all this extra stuff...geez...I don't want to post how much I've already spent out of fear that my husband might read this! [face_laugh]
    What type of roses did you get? The little satin ones or the embroidery/applique looking ones? I bought some of each to test them out. But, yeah, they add up. ACK!

For the scrolling on the front I'm planning on just embroidering it all by hand... If I come up with something simpler you'll be the first to know!

So, I'm a little excited right now about the mock up I made for the blouse. I put it on and tied the sleeves at the elbow with ribbon and did the criss-cross ribbon effect and it looked so cool! Woo! Hoo! I'm starting to see it take shape and it's an awesome feeling!
    Okay, on to the real blouse now!

And let me know how sewing in the boning goes. I haven't done that in so long that I don't really remember what's involved.
  12. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh you guys! I am so excited about this dress! I can't wait to start making it! Unfortunately, untill I can get a sewing machine I am forced to live vicariously through your posts :eek:( Everyone be sure to post pictures when your dresses are completed! And good luck in the contest too!

Obi Dawn -- I am so glad that pattern worked out! I had decided on using it a while ago for my own dress, but now I know it works. Question: How much ribbon did you have to use for each wrist? I assume it must be pretty long, to be able to wrap around your wrist a few times and then trail down.

Mirax -- I'm assuming your question about the picture was referring to this new one:
    [image=http://thenextamidala.com/costumes/teaser_poster/natpeople3.jpg]
    That pic is from the People Magazine Spring Style issue. You can only buy it on newsstands, so if you're like me, your subscription won't help you on this one! I still have to make it to the stores to pick it up. Hope there's still a copy left by the time I get a chance!!
  13. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi Obi-Dawn,

There's no need to frett, although, I've been thinking the same thing. lol Aren't we sad! I agree winning is not important at all. I'm just excited about the possibility of being introduced by Anthony Daniels and doing my best.

And, I'm just going to be excited to wear my dress. My dilemma is when to wear it at CII. I'm not sure if two days in a row would be too much. I have another one for Friday, Amidala's velvet coat from the battle on Naboo, Ep I. I'm planning to go to the Concert on Saturday night and I definitely want to wear this dress for that. Hmmm. What to do.

I've also thought that, if I have time, I'll scrounge up a Mirax Terrick outfit. Pilot suit, leather jacket. Salvation Army here I come. But for now, getting this done is first priority. I keep trying to think of other occasions when I'll be able to wear it. Too much work not to show it off at every opportunity! Of course, CII (and III??), opening week of film, Halloween next year. Maybe I'll volunteer to chaperone Prom.

As for the roses, I bought the ribbon kind, but not satin. I got sheer ones(Offray, Color - Colonial #168). They are perfect! The give the bi-color look in the pic just due to shadow. I sewed the first two groups on tonight. Must go back to the store. I don't even have enough yet to do the whole bodice!

And the boning is done. First time I'd done that, and I had no real problems. The only mistake I made was not to pin both side to the lining before sewing. That caused the fabric to bunch up on the outside. So, I had to re-do a couple, but I feel good about the whole thing!

My only problem is forcing myself to put it down and go to bed! Which is what I should be doing now. OK, I'm going. Let's definitely do the PM thing. I'll pop one off to you tomorrow. I'd love to hear about your plans for CII, what your hubby thinks of SW and all that.

Talk to you soon!
    M.

PS - MRS. M. - Yes, that's the pic I was thinking of. I was looking at the wrong magazine altogether. Thanks for the info!
  14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi :)

I know what you mean, Mirax, about not wanting to stop working on it! I've been up late every night and I have to force myself to stop and go to sleep. I'm glad to hear that you didn't have any major problems with the boning. If I get stuck I might ask you for some advice.

I just finished sewing on all the gold flowers to the blouse bodice and sleeves. Now to do more vine work. :)

Mrs_M, I bought a yard and a half of each ribbon color and now I don't think it will be enough. I was only experimenting very quickly yesterday to see if the sleeve was going to work, so I'm still not sure how much I'll end up needing. It seemed like a yard and a half was just enough for one arm...but, we'll see! :D
  15. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Have you seen this?

There's some debate over whether it's an official shot or a fan fake over in the spoilers forum, but either way, it may shed some light on the back of the hairstyle...

ribbons o'plenty!

-sg
  16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks surlygirlie! If you look at the teaser poster shot you can see ribbons too, but that new shot shows more. Cool!

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/padmeep2.gif]
  17. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I went back to the drawing board tonight. Everything has been going well, but I realized that the pattern I chose for the corset was not right AFTER I pretty much finished sewing it up. I'm such a Type A personality, that I can't just let it go. So, I'm headed back to the fabric store in the morning for more crinkly stuff.

My new corset pattern is McCall's #2799. The bottom edge goes down lower over the hips and is more of a straight line as the one in the pics appears to be. And, it is made in even sections that will simulate the lines in the pic much more closely than my first attempt.

I also looked for a different blouse pattern. I found one very close to the one Mrs. M. suggested, but the sleeves are tight at the shoulder, instead of drapey like hers. (McCall's #3535) It's also a dress pattern, so I'll be cutting it down to be like a blouse. It will require a bit of sleeve work, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm hoping to create the full sleeves with a little bit of poof? just below where they join the blouse sleeve. I hope I'm not seeing things in the pic but that's what it looks like to me underneath the cape.

I did manage to get the skirt cut out tonight. No changes on that. I did some practice vining last night and I think I'm ready to do it for real. Then, I'll sew up the skirt before I hand sew all the little flowers on it.

So, a small setback, though it's for the greater good. :) Hope all is well for the rest of you!

Regards,
    C.
  18. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    hello ladies [face_clown]
    Just wondering how your projets are coming along? I went to JoAnn fabrics after our FF mtg on Saturday to look for more supplies. Simplicity patterns aren't 2/$3 anymore :eek:( Now they are 50% off. I still can't find any flowers I like for the embroidery. Oh well, I'll keep looking!

On a side note, have you seen the Toy list for AOTC? They show all the toys that are going to be released and I don't think they intend to release 12 inch dolls of Padme this time. I know they didn't do well last time -- you can still buy tons of them for like $2 at KB -- But I was hoping they would have a Padme Picnic doll! We'll see right?
  19. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I was wondering about the dolls, too...
    If they don't make them, I'd almost be relieved -- one less thing to collect compulsively.
    :)

-sg
  20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi all :)

I will be very sad if there are no 12" dolls this time around. I have all of the Phantom Menace ones and was really hoping for a picnic dress version too. :(

I hope Mirax is doing well on her new corset! We need an update. ;)

My dress is coming along. I'm almost finished with the blouse. The sleeves are attached and now I need to finish them by tying the ribbons on. I've decided that I'm going to actually attach the ribbons so that the sleeves will definitely keep their shape. I really need someone else's arm to wear it while I fasten the ribbons! ACK! I need an arm! :eek: It's too hard trying to do it on my own. So, I'm going to wait until I can enlist my friend to model it for me.

I'm planning to work on the corset pattern today. Hopefully I'll have a muslin version completed by this evening. I still have one panel of skirt chiffon to sew white flowers on...but I need a break from them!

Talk to you later :)

-Dawn
  21. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    I would have bought a parade outfit doll if they had made one - I can't believe they haven't even made it into an action figure yet. It's not fair, the one dress I REALLY love and nothing .. *sigh*
  22. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe I'll bide the time until I get a sewing machine with hand-sewing my own 12 inch Picnic dress. I'm sure I've got an old barbie doll in the attic that would be happy to wear it for me! [face_clown]
  23. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi All,

*Holds out arm for Dawn* I'll be your manequin ;) And, duh, what a great idea! I was wondering how I was going to attach those ribbons one-handed.

As for the new corset, "No need to report on that until have something to report." Actually, I got more fabric over the weekend, but I'm in the middle of vining the skirt, so I didn't do anything with it yet. I should get back to that later in the week. And, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

For tonight, my plan is to actually finish putting my skirt together. I have one more panel to vine, and I already put in the zipper (my very first one, *pats herself on the back*). So, it will just be a few straight seams, the waistband and the hem and that will be done. Well, except for sewing on all the flowers, but I'm saving that for later. I have a vacation coming up and I can do that in the car. I want to get the really big stuff out of the way first.

I'm starting to think over how to do the cape. I think that will end up being the most time consuming part of all. So many flowers to attach! Have any of you thought about how your going to proceed on that? I've looked everywhere for some kind of edging that looks close, but no luck. I think I might do it with 1/8 inch satin ribbon in two colors. I need to experiment a little with that.

Ooops, bell just rang for Seventh hour. Gotta run, talk to you all soon,
    M.
  24. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe if you guys can't find someone to model their arm for you, you could stuff a men's tube sock really tightly and use it as a make-shift arm.
  25. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No 12" dolls this time!? You're kidding!! :eek: Y'know, I bet they'll do them - probably special collectors items through FAO Schwartz or somebody similar. Which means $$$, but still. I bought that Darth Vader nutcracker that was in the Insider a few years back, and I get compliments on it NON STOP - it was worth the money IMO. :) And I think a 12" picnic dress doll would be too - especially as a collectors item, 'cause then you know they'd do an outstanding job on the dress details. ^.^

Just my thoughts... I'm excited to see all the picnic dresses y'all are working on!

kreleia ^.^
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.