main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I was thinking that maybe it is just a bend in the fabric of the corset. The corset is obviously made of thick or lots of material(the nature of corsets are that they have to be hard somehow, be it with boning or with a stiffer pattern...), so when she sits or thrusts her hip out or something, maybe the fabric just bends. Any thoughts from people who've made this dress already?

Maybe the corset is kind of layered. Thinner, more decorative fabric on the top, and a layer of thicker or more sturdy lining underneath. I don't know....Just thinking outloud.

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey guys :)

I see what you all are saying about the construction of the corset/bustier/bodice/whatevertheheckyouwanttocallitthingie! :p It does look 'thick', if that's even the right way to describe it. I'm going to be using a feather weight boning that is quite flexible and shouldn't give the appearance of any ridges. And now, thanks to your input, I'm thinking that I should add an additional layer of something, besides the interfacing and lining, to it to give it that extra thickness. :)

I worked out, as best as I could, what the embroidery looks like on the front of the corset. On the Vanity Fair cover I could make it out really well on the one side that shows, so I'll just duplicate the design in reverse on the other side. It's pretty extensive and very beautiful. I just hope I can pull it off. I haven't started to actually do it yet, I think I'm a bit scared of messing it up. I'm also trying to find the best way of transferring the scrolling patterns onto the satin I'm using. I'll have time tomorrow to devote to it.

I'll tell you how it goes!

3. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi All,

I got my second attempt at a corset put together over the weekend. I'm so much happier with it! The bottom line is much nicer and more flattering. And looks much closer to the picture than my first one.

As far as the thickness of the corset goes, personally, I would be careful before adding too many extra layers. Mine has three - the main fabric which is directly attached to the underlining and the lining. This makes it plenty think enough. It seems very similar to the actual corset in thickness.

Also, the boning is attached to the lining in my pattern, and is not visible from the outside at all. I think that is probably the case with Padme's as well. It would be tricky for it to be so form fitting without boning or something really stiff as an interior layer, imho.

The roses are going onto the new corset today, so I'll be back to where I was a week ago. Now I've just got to get to the blouse, the cape and do all the detail work. Are there enough hours in the day? I sure hope so.

Dawn - what do you think about using tear-away stabilizer to add the embroidery? I was thinking of drawing the scroll-work onto that, pinning it to the right spot, and then doing the embroidery over it. I picked some up at JoAnn's but I haven't tried it yet.

Hope all is going well!
    M.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Carrie :)

The tear away stabilizer sounds like a pretty good idea. I don't know when I can get back to the fabric store though, so I might have to come up with a different way. Then again, I'm sort of hoping that a new picture of the corset will crop up. A picture that shows it completely from the front with detail. *wishful thinking* I know pics will be bountiful when all the new AOTC books come out in April, but I don't know if I could get it done in time for the Celebration if i wait....oh, what to do? I honestly think I've got the design figured out, but with my luck I'll finish it and the day after a beautiful picture will arrive showing me how I did it all wrong! [face_laugh]

I think I might just start on the cape and work on it this week.

*sigh*

As for the thickness issue, I laid my satin/interfacing over another layer of left over satin and then a layer of lining and it is actually better than just one layer of satin. I haven't made a final decision yet...

*sigh*

I feel stuck.... :(

Well, I suppose i could always sew on the last of the white flowers......ACK!

-me

p.s. I'm glad to hear your second corset is turning out the way you want it! :D Good job! I can't wait to see pics.

5. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi All,

Even though this is a busy week at school, I've managed to get a little work done on my skirt.

I decided on a different embellishment for the skirt. Instead of cutting apart trim and then sewing it on, I'm doing white seed pearl beads instead. Seems to be going well. That allows me to duplicate the white four leaf clover look exactly, where my trim flowers weren't quite right.

I also found shoes to go with it. I bought gold sandals at Payless for cheap. I'm going to trim them with fabric and flowers to match the corset. I was so excited about that find. Maybe not exactly what Padme would wear, but at least they're unique.

Dawn - what did you decide to work on? Whatever it is, happy sewing!

C.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hello :)

I can't wait to see pics of your dress Mirax! The seed pearl idea sounds fantastic!

Well, I've unstuck myself and begun the embroidery on the bodice front. It has been a learning experience. I'm getting better at it with each bit I do. I'll try to put up another progress shot on my website for you to see. The design I've come up with may not be 'exact' but it is so pretty that I don't care! I love how it looks and it's what I'm gonna do...unless a new picture crops up suddenly :p
    It's taking quite a long time to do this part, so I think waiting for a better picture isn't really the best option if I hope to have this thing done in time.
    I'm going through embroidery floss like crazy though!

Happy sewing everyone!

-Dawn

7. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Dawn,

What kind of stiching are you using for the embroidery? All the scroll work looks like a satin stitch, I think. I haven't thought about the green parts yet.

Have a good day!
    M.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Aw geez...I didn't even know there were different types of stitches! [face_blush]
    I just found this great website:
    link
    ...and apparently I am doing a satin stitch. [face_mischief]

9. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    That is a great resource for embroidery terminology, Obi-Dawn! You are always quick with the useful information. :)

The weekend before I started embroidery on my Bespin Leia costume, I found an old book on embroidery and read it in the car on the way from Florida home to Atlanta, and figured out most of what I needed to know. Then there was a few days of trial and error, and now I know a fair amount about embroidery. So at least we have a hobby we can say we learn from. :)

Show us pictures soon!

-sg

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been embroidering daily and I'm getting better and better at it. (Whew!) I started at the bottom on purpose because I had a feeling it would look better the more I did, so the middle and top will look the best. :)
    I'll update with a new photo sometime tomorrow.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi all. I've updated my costume page with a new embroidery picture. :)

It's coming along....

embroidery

12. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi,

Sorry to have been so infrequent in my posting. I've been co-directing the school play and the performances were last weekend. Needless to say I've been a bit swamped. Now, I've got to put my sewing machine into hyperdrive so I can get caught up.

Dawn - the embroidery looks wonderful! And your hair buns are so cool! Any clue how your mom made them? I'm leaving that little detail to the very end. I may just do the Vanity Fair look with my hair rather than stress about getting them right. For the contest, I'm pretending to be Padme sometime in the future anyway, so it won't matter too much if I don't have them.

I borrowed my mom's digital camera, so I'll try to get some pics up tonight. As of Thursday, I'll be on vacation for a week, busily sewing on seed pearls while we're traveling, so I won't be around for the next week. Hope you all have a very Happy Easter!

Regards,
    M.

13. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, I finally got myself together enough to snap some pics.

Here's the link:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/carrielewis

Then, click on the "Star Wars Costume" album.

Hope it works, I did this in a hurry.
    Happy Easter, again.
    M.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    :D Wow Mirax! I LOVE the way the seed pearls are looking! It's just beautiful. Everything looks fantastic!
    Have a great trip and Easter. :)

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Mirax your dress looks beautiful! The fabric of the corset is great! It's similar to the stuff I plan on using. Unfortunatly, my fabric is like $12 a yard!! ouch! But for the pattern, it doesn't require that much fabric, so I decided to go ahead and take a hit on it.

Anyways, the dress looks great! Keep up the good work -- and post more pics soon!!! [face_clown]

Good luck to the the judges at the costume contest! They're gonna have a hard time choosing a winner between all the posters in this forum!!

16. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    ahhh! I am sooo excited i can barely type!! You guys will have to excuse my giddiness -- I just went to JoAnne's and their Simplicity patterns were only $1.99 each. So I bought my patterns for this dress. finally! I know this is probably very trivial to all of you, who are probably almost done with your dresses, but try to bear with me! [face_clown]

I ended up getting #9125 for the under dress, and I only plan on making a few modifications to it; the sleeves need to be lengthened and "squared off" at the wrists, and the skirt needs to be adjusted to make it fuller.

For the corset, I ended up changing my mind completely! I originally had decided on a corset that laces up the back, but I was worried about it being too difficult, since I am a novice at sewing. So I searched a little but, and ended up finding pattern #9484, which is actually a corset/dress combo. I was very happy with this pattern because the corset is very simple, and yet is similar to the one Padme wears. Also, I decided to make the skirt in this pattern out of a lining material, in order to make the dress fuller. So it actually worked out much better than my original plans! [face_clown]

***Ribbon heads up: I scouted the fabrics and trims as well, while I was there and found a ribbon that is perfect for the "headband!" It was in the special ocasion trims section, and was somewhere in the $3.50 range. It was beautiful! I plan on going back for it next week sometime. But it is absolutely perfect, so i wanted to let you all know.

Mirax, a few posts back you asked about the trim/liner for the cape. I found a trim that was perfect for this too! It was in the same trim section and it had hunter green and an almost white gold entwined together -- very similar to the pics of Padme's cape. I did not check the price though.

Well, that's about it for now. Sorry this was so long, I am just so excited to finally get started! Hopefully it will be ready in time for the premier of the movie! Good luck on all your dresses!

17. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Oh my GOD!! Obi-Dawn that is SOOOOOO good!! Can you make me one?? please??? :p

Ugh, I hate this... I already want to make like 3 Padmé costumes from AOTC... now I want to make 4! :p Noooo!! So pretty!

*sigh* Anyways great job Obi-Dawn! Keep us updated! :D

-~Dormé~-

18. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Wow Mirax, I just checked your costume out!! It looks so gorgeous... Ugh... I'm so jealous of you people, whenever I sew, I always seem to screw it up royaly...

:(

-~Dormé~-

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks so much Dorme. :)
    It's been a lot of work so far. I'm talking daily work since the middle of February.

I hope that Mirax was able to get all her pearls sewn on over the weekend. *crosses fingers*

20. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I just got a sewing machine for my birthday! Woohoo! Now I can start on my dress....Been working on a list of supplies that I still need, etc. I hope to finally get under way really soon. Yay!

21. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Guys,

I'm posting from Maryland, not my usual location of Michigan. My friend is nice enough to let me catch up on all my email and such.

Anyway, thank you all for the kind words! I'm working hard on the pearls, but it is slow going. I've got almost all the front panel done with three more the same size to do. *gulp* I'm feeling a little worried that I'm not going to finish in time! Let's just say that I won't have any life between now and CII other than sewing on pearls and embroidery.

Mrs. M. Congrats on the new machine and getting started on your dress!!! I know how excited I was.

Dawn, How's the embroidery going? Hope all is well!

I'll be home late Friday night, so I'll be back to posting regularly on Saturday.
    Talk to you all soon,
    M.

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Wow, Mrs. M! Congrats on the new acquisition!
    (And Happy Birthday!)

You're gonna get a LOT of use out of that present!

Keep us posted on how things go!

-sg

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Happy birthday Mrs_M! And, happy sewing! :D s_g is right, you will get so much use out of your machine.
    Start the dress so we can see more pictures!

Mirax, I feel your skirt decorating woes. I still have one panel left that needs white flowers sewn onto it. That's a good 10 hours of work, at least. :( But! My embroidery is almost done. Woo! Hoo! Have a nice vacation in Maryland. It's pretty there!

So, now, I am expecting a crystal clear full frontal picture of her costume to be released ANY day that will show me all the stuff I did wrong! :eek: [face_laugh]

Well, I'm off to finish embroidering. YAY!

24. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    Happy Birthday Mrs. M!

Dawn - I found a new picture of this dress that shows a better view of the embroidery.
    [image=http://natalie.hal-9000.net/images/npswlime3.jpg]

It's still hard to get an exact image, but I just thought it might help!

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    SEE! I was right! A bigger picture of it comes along right when I'm almost done! BAH! :p

Well, the good news is that so far I can only make out one difference between it and mine. *whew*

Thanks jedi blynnj! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.