Padme Amidala Padme's Gold flower outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Just wanted to say that Obi Dawn and Mirax T, your costumes look beautiful so far!
  2. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    Wow! I had no idea anyone was as obsessed with
    this outfit like I am! :) This is great!
    All my friend think I am nuts to want to make
    it.. but it is just sooo beautiful!

Obi-Dawn and MiraxT- you're outfits so far are
    amazing! Obi-Dawn's embroidery is awesome(what
    kind of floss did you use? gradient floss?)
    and I never would have thought of using seed
    pearls.

Thanks to the new pic jedi blynnj posted I
    have finally completed my embroidery sketch.
    I was wondering if I could run it by you guys
    for critique (please!).

it's at www.geocities.com/ittybittykittty/picnicbodicesketch.jpg

Thanks!
  3. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    afaeryschild your drawing is great [face_clown] I haven't looked at the corset close enough yet, so I hadn't thought about where to place the flowers/embroidery (I need to make a corset to put them on first!). But I compared your drawing to all of the different pics/views that I have on my hard drive, and I think your drawing is dead on! Good job! [face_clown]

So, do you mind if I use it as a guide when I finally get around to placing things? [face_clown]

EDIT: Ok, I am feeling kind of stupid right now because I only just realized that MiraxTHorn and MiraxH are two different people! haha...I have been addressing comments to just "Mirax." Sorry, guys! I'll try to distinguish who I'm referring to next time [face_clown]
  4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi afaeryschild! Welcome to our picnic dress obsessed thread! :D

Your sketch looks great! I think you got it. :) Have you starting sewing any part of the dress yet? When you do, we'd all love to see pictures! We are currently awaiting Mrs_M to get started on hers! :D

As for the embroidery floss I'm using, it's just your basic DMC stuff. I've used different colors and just blended them together to get the gradient look. The floss comes in a six strand thread. I reduce it to three strands before actually embroidering. These are the colors I've been using:

Darkest yellow: #742
    Medium dark yellow: #743
    Yellow: #727
    Pale yellow: #745
    Green: #734
    Beige: #745, 746

I think I will have my corset embroidery done by the end of the day. :) I am soooo happy! There are a few differences between it and the actual costume, but I'm going to put my type A personality on the back shelf and ignore it! Only obsessed people like us would even notice it, so I'm not going to worry. I'm running out of time here and I still have the skirt and cape to finish! ACK!

Happy sewing all! :)
  5. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Dawn post pics asap [face_clown] I can't wait to see the finished corset!

Ok, guys, lets discuss that cape! I think between everyone's posts, we've just about got everything else figured out one way or another. But we haven't really talked about the cape!
    • How are you planning to do it?
    • Any thoughts on fabric/color?
    • Are you going to use a certain pattern?
    • What are you going to use for the lining around the edges?
    • How are you adorning the flowers?
    • Any ideas on length/cut in the back?

• LOL...I think that covers everything....

I am going to free-hand the cape, instead of waisting money on a pattern [face_clown] I think I can figure it out easier that way. I also found a great trim to line the edges with at JoAnne's. It is in their "special trims" section. It is forrest green and white gold entwined. It's perfect. But I'm not sure how to affix it to the fabric. Any thoughts?
  6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Aaahhhhhh...the cape! :) Great idea Mrs_M!
    I'm looking forward to getting started on it within the next few days. I have not figured too much out as of yet.

How are you planning to do it?
    -I will be drafting my own pattern. I'll probably make a few mock ups until I get it right.

Any thoughts on fabric/color?
    -I have a chiffon which is a tad shade darker than the ciffon I used on the dress.

Are you going to use a certain pattern?
    -I'm making it up

What are you going to use for the lining around the edges?
    -havn't got a clue!

How are you adorning the flowers?
    -by hand :p I'll be using various shades of pink like on the corset.

Any ideas on length/cut in the back?
    -I'll get back to you on this one....
    It does look pretty full and looks like it comes down well below the waist at the longest part in the middle.

Right now, I plan on embroidering on the vining and leaves by hand. I toyed with the idea of zigzagging it on with my sewing machine, but I want to avoid any puckering. So, by hand it is! :D

Anyone else's ideas would be welcomed!

7. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks so much Mrs_MayimNaar and Obi-Dawn!

I will be buying all my supplies next weekend
    when the money is here. I have already scouted
    around and seen nothing so to the big city I
    go.

I am going to wear the costume in the day to
    day too! So I am not making a 'cape' or the
    bunholders (though I am making the headpiece).

I am making a skirt, blouse and thick
    embroidered tank from (modified) simplicity
    pattern 9828. So I can wear the blouse and the
    tank individually with jeans if I like or with
    the skirt for the full effect. :[face_sigh]:

btw.. anyone can use my pattern. Hopefully it
    will stay accurate as the new pics come up. I
    should be posting some pics of my progress
    within the next two weeks if I find the stuff
    I need. :) YAY!
  8. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey all [face_clown] Hope your respective projects are going well! I just wanted to pass on some info I saw this morning on the news...
    Tonight on Access Hollywood they are doing an AOTC special, and they are talking about the costumes -- including this one!!! On the preview I saw, they actually had the dress in the studio! It was very close up, and very detailed, so it might be very very helpful to all of us!! Just wanted to give you all a heads up [face_clown]
  9. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Mrs. M, you are the spreader of good information.

Thank you thank you!

-sg
  10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    YAY! *sets VCR to record*

It's about time! :D

I must say though, that my prediction is coming true! (That as soon as I finished my embroidery we'd all get to see the real one up close!) :p

I am sooooo happy to be done with this stage of the project! I can finally assemble the corset today and move on to something else! I want to start on the cape.
  11. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm going to tape it and watch it over and over! I hope they show the back! Also, on the commercial, when they showed the dress, I did notice that the fabric of the corset didn't look very stiff, like we discussed earlier. I could be wrong though.

Dawn I'm glad your embroidery turned out well! Pictures pictures! we need pictures! [face_clown] haha...no rush though...
  12. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Just as an FYI, this footage will probably show up on the official site as one of the "making of" style downloads in the near, near future.

So if anyone misses it, don't panic! It'll be online soon!

-sg
  13. Judy Jedi Padawan

Hi everybody! Like everyone else, I will also be making the gold picnic dress (not for SW celebration, don?t worry), and was wondering, what is your thoughts on the roses? are they light pink with purple centers/purple with light pink centers or is that a dark pink rather than a purple. I will be buying my ribbon shortly and could use a consensus vote :)

Oh, and previously people had asked what the that shadow/fold on the corset waistline was. It is caused by sitting in a Victorian corset that doesn?t have enough bones in it or is too long waisted before it curves over the hips. The fabric tends to bunch up right at the waistline in those cases. Since I can?t see any boning channel stitching lines on the gold costume, I am assuming that it was made as a bodice over a corset, with minimal, if any boning. However, since I need a bit more help than scrawny little Natalie Portman :), I will be boning the heck out of the bodice. Oh, and the best victorian corset pattern is Laughing Moon (www.laughingmoon.com) I have tried 5 or six now, and that one is definitely the best.

Judy

Sleep. Free Time. A Jedi craves not these things.
    www.geocities.com/stitchinbabes
  14. KirstenSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmmmm...

Judy, I checked out that site, but I wasn't able to find anything about corsets there. Am I missing something? Am I blind? Or both? ;)

Edit: I figured it out! That's the wrong URL. The URL for Laughing Moon Mercantile is http://www.lafnmoon.com/. Thanks Judy! I'll try that out when I get around to making this costume.
  15. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the flowers are dark pink, not purple. But that should be revealed tonight. There are up-close shots of the bodice. The more I watch the promo footage for Access Hollywood, the more I think this is going to be a blessing for us! Hopefully they will show the back of the dress!
  16. Judy Jedi Padawan

Oops. Sorry about the URL, I knew I should have checked it. Regardless, all of her patterns are amazing, and the pieces actually match up <gasp!>, which always seems to be a problem with historical-based patterns. She also scaled the pattern for modern bodies, so you won't have as much of a problem with the pattern running too short-waisted, as you might find on historical pattern reprints. The sizes also run a huge range, and she includes a nifty historical reference section. (I think I need to get paid as her marketing assistant!) I first tried her pattern at her corset workshop Costume College Convention (hosted by the LA chapter of ICG) and I have been a devoted fan ever since.

Now I just have to buy the fabric and make the dress :) For those who seem to be nearing the end, about how many roses did you use? I am estimating about 200, but hey, I have been wrong before...

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi Judy :)

I just counted the roses on the bodice and there are 45. So, with all the ones that will be on the cape too, 200 isn't so outrageous a number. I think the roses are varying shades of pink, not purple.
  18. Judy Jedi Padawan

Okay, that's about what I came up with, so, about 40 yards of ribbon, not that bad at all. Of course, I might think a little differently when I am on rose #78 :)

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    "...about 40 yards of ribbon, "
    Are you making the roses yourself?
  20. Judy Jedi Padawan

Yah. I am one of those sad, sick, little, ?perfection is in the details? people, and since you can?t buy two-toned ribbon roses, you get to make them. Of course, I won?t be hand embroidering the skirt, though. My handwork isn?t that great. I plan on just getting some white chiffon with a white vine embroidery, and painting wax into the stitchery, and dye the whole lot.
  21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Perfection is in the details, so go for it! :D
    I don't know if you've read through all the posts in this thread, but the way I got the vining onto my chiffon was by using a zigzag stitch on my sewing machine. It was fairly easy and the only hitch was a little pucker here and there. Just a suggestion if you are unable to find a chiffon with vining already on it.
    I think MiraxT used the same zigzag technique on her skirt. She used a beautiful crepe for hers. It looks stunning! Check out her pics if you get a chance!

By the way, we all have to try and get some screenshots up from the Access Hollywood story tonight for MiraxT! I think she's on her way home today ?[face_plain] from her vacation and she might not know about the show.
  22. Judy Jedi Padawan

Yah. I cannot decide if the skirt is a cotton crepe, or a chiffon that has been "broomsticked", either. I was thinking it was a chiffon (same as the wrap, but the skirt would just be treated those neato creases), over several layers of rose, tan, and gold crepe. It is good to hear, however, that the using the machine for the vine work leaves few puckers (also a source of concern with such a thin material), but, unfortunately, my machine does not have a zigzag stitch, so, back to square one. My impression of the vine work was the color was variegated (white, tan, lavender, etc). Is that your impression as well, or is it just a trick of the light? If the entire skirt and embroidery needs to be resist dyed, I will just go to the emergency room now, and save myself the time later.
  23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    "If the entire skirt and embroidery needs to be resist dyed, I will just go to the emergency room now, and save myself the time later..."
    [face_laugh] I'm sure you'll work it out and avoid any ER trips! I took a look at the costumes on your site and they are wonderful!

I got the impression that the vining was a variegated color as well. I used two different shades of thread for mine. A light primrose and a darker goldish yellow.

TV update: I just saw the E! news clip an dit really didn't show anything new concerning this dress. Here's hoping to more on Access Hollywood! :)
  24. KirstenSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Judy,

You've sold me! I went ahead and ordered that pattern. :) I just need to finish up the two I'm working on now for C2, and I'll start on this one. I'll shoot for Dragon.Con this summer to have this one done by. Definitely let us know how yours progresses! I'm definitely interested in what materials you end up using and how you intend to do the bodice over the corset.

25. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dang! I'm so excited from reading about all the good corset patterns that I'm seriously considering buying one for myself - just to have! I'm not even doing this dress! [face_laugh]

Judy, I've seen your site before!! I can't remember how I found it, but I know it was because I was looking through anime cosplay sites! I remember your SW costumes too! Welcome to SW-costume-fanatics-anonymous!! ;)

kreleia ^.^
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.