main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've ordered 11 meters of that dark chiffon now, it turned out that it was impossible to get the chiffon I had intended to get in such large quantities. I'm going to use a cream-coloured inner layer to see if the result will be a bit lighter.

I've also gotten my earrings to match the dress, they are bronze and with white flowers that are almost exactly like flowers on the skirt. Now I just have to pay off my aunt so that I can get the matching necklace.

2. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Wow:) Brilliant stuf Kay Dee:) And of course to all those who have shared info:)

Did you have to do much spell checking for my bits;) heheheheheh, I speak much better than I type;)

I'm being very tempted to do my white version of this... especially as I found my silk scarf for the corset and the white and pale pink embroidered roses again...

Must... focus... on... SCA... garb.... Schaube is urgently needed...

3. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    The fabric I found was silk fabric, almost like a silk georgette. The vining wasn't green, I think I remember it being a lighter color than the fabric or white.

I need to go back to that fabric store soon so I will see if they will get me any more info on it.

4. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've embroidered vines around all the premade roses on my cape, now I'm starting to fill out the areas between them.

5. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    The other day, I found cape fabric at a nearby Ross. Its a "vintage tablecloth" by Victoria Classics in Rose and 100% polyester. I bought the 50"X70" size for $6.99 and it seems to be enough. The roses are in clusters of ones and threes and I don't think I have to dye it since it already has a slight yellow cast to it.
    They also had the curtains but only with the gold roses at the store I was at and the flowers were in clusters of four. Maybe anyone who are looking for the fabric should check out their local Ross.
    Happy hunting,
    -Wraith

6. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    The new thread looks great. I can't believe it's the third! Amazing how much information there is on the dress now. :)

Katherine

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Crimson & Wraith for your info on fabrics. :)

Obi-Anne, sounds like you're making great progress!

And just as a silly observation, has anyone else seen MTV's reality show about Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro? Everytime I see the opening credits I keep thinking about how much I like Carmen's red and black dress. It finally hit me that it's really similar in style to the picnic dress with a corset over an off the shoulder blouse that has sleeves with two 'poofs'. Although her dress is much different in feeling and color, and the details are all different, it just made me laugh that I could find picnic similarities in it. [face_laugh] I'm brainwashed, for sure.

8. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I found out this morning that Quincy's Padme picnic dress won first place in the children's division of the Simplicity Pattern Halloween costume contest.
    They should have pictures and information up on their site next week. The ladies at Simplicity mentioned how much they really liked my treatment of the pattern.

9. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Nos - congrats on winning first place with Quincy's costume! That's fabulous!

:)
    ecila

10. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Congratulations on your win, thats great.

I finally finished marking out the pattern on my corset and have actually been doing some embroidery, I'm working on the green vines and leaves at the moment, I think I'm going to do the roses on the corset and headband to match the sample cape fabric I got, I still can't decide if I should buy the fabric or not its so expensive plus the tax is 17%.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great to hear, Nostradamus!

Alright, liann's back on the embroidery trail. ;)

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    My sister called me and from now on I have 11 meters of goldenbrown chiffon waiting for me, I'm so happy I'm going home next weekend. :D :D :D

I'm actually hoping that I might be able to wear the skirt and blouse together with the corset on a local con here in two weeks, of course that would mean that I wouldn't have time to finish the embroideries on the cape or sew on any of the flowers to the skirt. I still think that would be nicer than to keep going in the budget version of the skirt and blouse.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great news! I can't wait to see it!

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think that I will be able to complete the picnic dress for the con as I had planned. The last 48 hours I've slept for less than 6 hours, and I think that I won't get a decent night's sleep for quite a long time. As it is I'm afraid of being burnt out with trying to get fanforce back on its feet, as well as keeping up with my studies (I have a quite big project to finish until Friday). I went out on Friday and bought the last pattern that I needed as well as more thread for the embroideries. Hopefully I will be able to get the cape wearable for the con, as it is now about a third of it is filled with vines, I need to fill up the last two thirds to make it decent. Who knows maybe it will be a nice diversion to step away from the computer and just relax with the needle for a while.

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, Obi-Anne, a diversion would be nice. Hmmm...maybe I'll go put on my picnic dress and have a picnic in the living room. [face_mischief]

As long as you get your dress done by C3, I'll be happy!

Speaking of C3, can we get a headcount of all picnic group ladies who are planning to go? I remember there was a pretty area of grass outside of the Indy Con center and I thought it would be really really cool if we could somehow coordinate a time to meet up there in our picnic dresses for some photos together?

So far this is who I think is planning to go:

• Obi-Anne

• Obi-Dawn

• MiraxTHorn

• liannb

• Quincy/Nostradamus

• Jedi_DuJuan?

Have I missed anyone? kay_dee, are you thinking of going?

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
  17. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I will be at C3, and very much hope to have my long-planned blue version of the picnic dress done by then!

Caitlin

18. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
  19. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I'm hoping & planning to go to C3--If I make it, I will certainly have a Picnic gown to wear--I want my own SO badly!! [face_love]

I always thought we should have shirts made up for all of us who are addicted to this gown and have made this thread turn overl 3 times!!! You know like Yellow and Pink shirt with "Picnic Groupie" or something on it so we can meet up at Cons :)

Obi-Dawn I think a picture in the grass all posed like the Vanity Fair picture--but with maybe 1 Anakin (lucky guy) and a ton of Padmes would be hilarious!!!!

Obi-Anne & Liann Hang in there guys! I know your gowns will turn out lovely. I can't wait to see you in them!

Nos Congrats again! :) Quincy is a doll!!

~Ferd

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll be at C3, love to meet you ladies for a photo op! Be nice to put faces with the names.

Spent so much time and money on my dress that I'm going to get all the wear out of it as possible. Actually going to wear it at the local Ren Faire this May too.

21. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    It would be really nice to meet everyone and have a group photo take.

22. jadedknights

jadedknights Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    oye! I am planning going to CIII. After returning from active duty, I guess I have my work cut out for me. Congrads, Nos! Its the best work on the site :)

Jen

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ferd, both your ideas of a shirt and a picnic with 1 Anaking are hilarious. :D

24. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I was planning on going to CIII also. And I'm hoping to have my Picnic gown done by then! :)

Maggie

25. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I'm going to be doing this dress over the summer break, and was wondering, also just for common knowledge for other costumes, if one were to use the 50 yard estimate for the skirt, how would you put that together? Would you just cut out the pattern again and again, layering them, or is there another way? I'm sure the solution is super simple, but I can't think of it.
    Kay_dee, the tutiorial on the first page is amazing! Good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.