Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    A Picnic Dress Picnic on the grass will definitely be in order at CIII! I have a good friend who has a totally accurate Anakin costume. (He was in the Insider with me.) I know he's planning to wear his Anakin the same day I wear PPD, so he'll probably be available. I'll check on his willingness to be surrounded by such a large group of gorgeous women. :)

Regards,
    M.

2. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, I've been out of town for a few days and things sure have changed! New moderators and everything!

As for C3, I really have it on my list of things I want to attend (I told my husband last year that I'm going if that counts for anything)! I just have not kept up with announcements on the actual date, when tickets go on sale - etc. Too many other things (like moving) I'm trying to get through at the moment!

Congratulations on the costume win Nostradamus! It's great to have the picnic dress you created make such a great showing :)

jedilucass - as for the layers of the picnic skirt you guessed correctly. Take any skirt pattern you prefer and cut out multiple numbers of the pattern to make multple layers all the same size. Sew your skirt panels together to make each seperate skirt, then layer them in place one on top of another and baste them together at the waist. Finally, attach your waist band and zipper (I guess some patterns don't have waist bands - but that is the general idea).

-kay dee

3. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm going to use three layers, two with chiffon and one inner lining, to keep the skirt from being transparent. I will use around 13,5 meters of fabric all together, I have no idea how much that is in yards.
  4. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I think I will be able to finish most of the vining on the cape for the con this weekend, or rather I think it will be OK, but this will probably be a thing where I will never be completely satisfied so I will return to it and add more and more vines until it is completely covered like the original.

Also I've cut out most of the parts for the skirt, everything except for the parts around the waist. I guess if I had killed myself over the week I would have been able to finish it and the blouse, but I didn't want to do that, I'll start with it next week instead and want to have it finished for Jedi-Con in Germany in the beginning of April.

Dawn, I saw the new photos of your dress, it's so lovely, and I liked the background wallpapers with the Amidala art.
  5. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just saw a Payless commercial for their spring line last night and they had a white shoe with a strap that looked like it could work well for this costume - so check out your local payless - they might have a couple new options in their spring stuff! :)

Maggie
  6. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Grarrrrr.... payless.com is currently down. I wanted to look at the shoes! Never mind that I'm not planning to make this dress; a girl always needs shoes.

Obi Anne, be sure to get lots of pictures at the con!
    but this will probably be a thing where I will never be completely satisfied so I will return to it and add more and more vines until it is completely covered like the original.
    I think it's funny that picnic fever causes everyone who undertakes this dress to redo and rework things over and over. I'd say we should get a team of scientists working on the vaccine poste haste, but everyone's efforts always turn out so lovely, it'd be like depriving the world of art...

-sg
  7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    We all think alike! :D
    I went to Payless yesterday to check out those white shoes! I was disappointed in them. Sorta cheap looking in person and the heels are very black. I mean, they're okay...but I guess I am still hoping to find the perfect shoe. LOL!

Obi-Anne, your shawl is going to be so lovely, I just know it! Your dedication to this dress is wonderful and it's probably very smart of you to take your time with the skirt and blouse instead of rushing to finish them. It's all gonna be great.
    Thanks for the compliments on my pics. :) And you noticed the wall. tee-hee! I painted those on there. My sewing room is a homage to Padmé. [face_mischief]
  8. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    What a cool idea to put those Padmé drawings on your wall Obi-Dawn! It looks really neat!

Obi Anne, looking forward to seeing your pics from the con too!
  9. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your dress looks great Obi-Dawn, I love the drawings on your wall.
    Can't wait to see pics of your costume Obi-Anne
  10. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, Obi-Dawn - I love the mural on your wall. I already got one email about it from having posted your pictures! :)

I went to payless yesterday and I actually liked the little white shoes. They were on sale for $9.99 also - so you can't beat that. I'm sure something better could turn up, but if it doesn't, I'll have something at least! And for a good price!

Here's a picture.

I had another good find too - for $7.99, these really soft ballet slipper like shoes with elastic "laces". I thought they'd be perfect for my Arwen mourning gown, and also possibly my Padme tatooine costume. The shoes I wore with that last year cut up my heels. These seem like they'd be more comfortable to walk in!

shoes 1

shoes 2

shoes 3

Maggie

11. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maggie, thank you for the pictures! Were those second pair of shoes at Payless too? I am *so* heading there after class today-- I could really use some dressy-but-still-closed-toe shoes!

Caitlin
  12. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi,

Yep - both pairs were from payless! And both on sale from their marked prices... :)

Maggie
  13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Those little black shoes are adorable! Alas, the store I was at didn't have them in my size....

I just checked my e-mail Maggie. Thanks for sending that to me. ;)

14. CrimsonVision Jedi Knight

star 2
    *Laughs*

It does prove we all think alike.

I went to payless yesterday looking for some shoes to wear to a medieval festival type event I'm going to next week.

I walked away with a pair of the black shoes. ;)
  15. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's so funny! The black ones were the only pair they had in my size (which oddly is a half to a full size different than my regular sneakers and shoes - I don't know what's up with payless sizes!). They were so comfortable I grabbed them! I wish the little white Padme shoes were as soft and comfy! Anyway, I think they'll work well with a bunch of things.

:)

Maggie
  16. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Totally agree, their shoes are very comfortable, but the sizes are way off, I can wear a much smaller size there than I usually do.
  17. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    That kind of ballet slippers are my favourite kinds of shoes, only bad thing is that you can't wear them when it's snow outside. I'm on the hunt for a pair over here, still mad that I didn't buy the pair I saw some months ago. The store that had them now only carry them in the colours silver/orange or black/neon green, but they used to have simple white ones. I've seen a pair that I really like, only problem is that the strap has velcro on it, and my experience with my budget skirt is that it will get caught in the velcro and start to fray. I'll probably buy those shoes anyway but continue my hunt for nice picnic-shoes.
  18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Ah yes...our mutual love for the picnic dress has paved the way to highlight our mutual love for ballet slipper type shoes! I'm ALL about ballet flat type shoes lately. [face_love]
    But, my favorite all time shoes are the little flat black velvet ones you can buy in most Chinatowns. Soooo comfy! But, alas, not good for snow.

Okay, so I had a delusion of grandeur idea. Read on:
    So do guys remember the exhibit at C2 that had two of Padmé's costumes? I was thinking, and I've mentioned it to kay_dee before, what if we could find out if they plan on having more of her costumes on display at C3? And, if so, what if we could find out who to contact in order to send in a request for say, the picnic dress to be on exhibit?
    I know it's a huge longshot, but might it be worth a try? I mean...could you imagine seeing it in real life? I'd be glued to the floor in front of it for hours.
    But hey, I figure there's got to be someone in the LFL archive department that we could e-mail with a heartfelt request. Whether or not they would pay it any attention is unknown. But, what if...... [face_mischief]

edit: I just realized something. If I did see this dress IRL, I'd be able to see everything I did wrong and would probably have to make it again in order to fix them. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  19. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Count another one who now owns a pair of those black Payless ballet-slipper-shoes. They were all out at the first store I tried, but luckily I'd written down the locations of the four closest stores, and I found them at the second one. Now they are mine! Muaha! And I can even wear them, because it's beautiful and sunny in San Diego! Ohhh, and I almost bought these blue strappy kitten-heels with clear rhinestons on them, because they would go *so* well with my planned blue picnic dress, but I already have a pair of shoes that will go perfectly fine and are *way* more comfy for all-day Con wear than the heels would have been. But they were *so* cute... *sigh*

Obi-Dawn-- that's a fantastic idea, to have the picnic dress on display at C3. I can't promise anything, but there are definitely some people I can talk to in order to determine if it's possible. You can PM me if you want to discuss it further. :)

Caitlin
  20. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd die to see it in person, But it would drive me crazy that mine isn't exactly the same.
  21. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    You girls are a bad influence. Now I have to go searching for the shoes. I used bedroom slippers for it on Halloween. The were comfy, and about the right color, they just didn't do well outside. I'm wearing the dress to St. Louis's Ren Faire, so I have to find something.
  22. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    liannb - that's funny that you wear a smaller size at Payless - I have to wear a bigger size! I'm usually a 7 or 7 1/2, but I have to wear an 8 with payless shoes! :)

Dawn/Caitlin - that would be amazing if they would bring the picnic dress to display!! Trisha brought a couple to her talk that weren't on permanent display - so there were quite a few Padme/Amidala costumes there total. It'd be amazing if we caught even a glimpse of it! If there's any way to pass the word on to bring that one, it'd be terrific! If Trisha brings a few that won't be displayed, I wonder if there'd be a way for a special viewing. Anyone know the right people?? :)

Maggie
  23. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    Heheh, I'm not making hte dress in the near future, but I've been lookign at all the shoes in store that are essentially ballet slippers;)

Funnily enough the most expensive ones are the least solid ones and the ones that look like they'll fall apart if you just look at them strangely;)

Still, I did pick up a pretty pair in ultra suede with a floral embroidery to the toe;)

I was so hoping they had some in white... Still they were on sale and they have come in handy for SCA wear;)

We have different shoe stores here of course, but I think we did have Payles Shoes for a while..
  24. CrimsonVision Jedi Knight

star 2
    Helpfull note to all the girls who now own the new little black shoes.

Do NOT stretch the elastic while putting on the shoes. You will most likely let the elastic go by mistake causing it to snap down on the top of your foot.

That hurts. Alot.

Ow. ;) I think one foot is still pink this morning!
  25. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    In the event that we COULD finagle THE Picnic Dress to be shown at CIII, we (*cough* DAWN ;) ) would all need signed, notarized copies of the following decree prior to viewing the dress:

I, [insert name here], do solemnly swear that:

**I will view P-19 for the sole intention of
    drooling over it for an undetermined amount of
    time.

**I will not under any circumstances stand near
    said dress while wearing my own version of it
    and point out to all passers-by the mistakes or
    so-called flaws in my own dress.

**I will not leave the display and head forthwith
    to any fabric store to purchase more fabric to
    try it again.

**I solemnly promise not to inflict upon my
    family the entire process of re-creating this
    dress yet again because it is not "an exact
    match".

**I reluctantly accept the fact that I am not
    Trisha Biggar nor do I have the financial
    resources of Lucasfilm.

It is my intention from this moment on to be
    justifiably proud of the work I have accomplished in
    lovingly recreating this dress. While my admiration
    for all things Picnic Dress will never fade, I will allow
    myself to be satisfied that I have done my best and
    enjoy the wearing of my own masterpiece.

Signed:
    Dated:
    Witnessed by all pertinent Family Members:
    Notarized:

Best Regards,
    M.

PS - I think it's a wonderful idea to try to request this be shown at CIII! Why don't we investigate the Lucasfilm websites and see if there is any kind of PR person we could contact initially. A group shot of us IN our dresses WITH The Real Thing would be the ultimate photo op!!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.