main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lessien

lessien Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2006
    I have the same problem (if we could say that is a problem).

Thank you Mirax for the news ! We see the end of all this and soon the happiness to have these sequins. I think I'll send you a pm.

2. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    BIG NEWS - The first box of sequins has arrived! 15 kilos are sitting in 500 g packages on my kitchen floor. I guess it was shipped in two packages, so hopefully the second will arrive soon. I don't think anyone who ordered .5 kilo will need to worry about running out! ;)

Pictures and shipping details for outside the US hopefully today.

Regards,
    M.

3. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
  4. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Thank you Mirax and Maggie! I did put in a movie and sit down last night. I've started the flames and it's actually going easier than my horrid imaginings! My only problem was the stupid hoop didn't want to tighten over the layers.

Sequins: Double Yay!

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wonderful news about the sequins! :)

Way to go Kasey! It will get easier and less daunting so have fun with it! And you know, I never used a hoop with any of mine. Just seemed easier to me. :)

6. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Yay!! [face_dancing] I so cannot wait to get them! :D :D

~Spacelady

7. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    YAY :D

thanks again Mirax

8. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm finding it's easier for me, too. :) My layers are stiff enough that it's easy to hold onto. The hoop was just an annoyance.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great Kasey. I look forward to seeing pictures of your embroidery! :)

Man, the pictures Mirax e-mailed us of the sequins are phenomenal! There are soooo many, I love it!

10. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Just twisted my wrist a bit yesterday so forgive me of any mis-spellings. [face_blush]

I just have a small question about the sequins... On the fourth shot of them next to the sample card, erm... why are they white compared to the sample sequins? I understand the difference may not be much in real life... but aren't they supposed to be the exact same color?

I know I'm just gonna love them and already do, but shouldn't they be right on? Especially with all the trouble they've given you, Mirax? And I don't mean to be a nitpicker at all.[/end rant] [face_blush]

You can all hate me now. lol

~Spacelady

11. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    That's great I can't wait for having them !!!

12. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    I never got a good answer on that. I was informed by the lady at the company that they were slightly lighter, but not why. I kind of assumed it was kind of like dye-lots with fabric. Sometimes you get an exact match and other times a shade or two difference.

And, you're not being too nitpicky. After all the work that's gone into this, I hope everyone will be happy with the final product!:)

All of the first batch has been shipped. You can check my spreadsheet to see if your sequins are on the way. I sent them out pretty much in the order paid. The second box should be here very soon, so for those who've already paid, they will be on their way to you, asap.

Please let me know when you receive them just so I can make sure no packages get lost. I have tracking numbers just in case.

Regards,
    M.

13. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Eep, I didn't realize people were paying already. Can you please PM your payment email and the total and I'll send it over today :) :D

14. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Interesting. I guess that happens sometimes. :p

Yay! My sequins have been shipped! [face_dancing] Thank you so much for all of the hard work you've put into it, Mirax. :D :)

~Spacelady

15. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    For European people if you can send them as a gift we won't have the taxation !

16. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Thanks for the tip, ewok78. I will be sure to do that!

Regards,
    M.

17. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, since many of us will soon be working on this costume again, I've been going back through the thread looking for all the new info discovered this year. There is so much of it! It might be time for v4.0 of our beloved thread. :) If no one else has time, I MIGHT be able to collate everything, if you want me to. *gulp*

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is an accurate measurement of the green flowers on the chemise and skirt. I did a little measuring and math from a photo and using sequin size of 7mm and I came up with just shy of 2cm. For those of you who have seen the dress in person, does 2cm sound reasonable? Did anyone actually measure them, perhaps on the private tour with Biba-Fett?

My mom is going to digitize this flower and loan me her embroidery machine to do them, so I'm trying to figure out the correct size.

Regards,
    M.

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooooo! That's wonderful. :)
    I agree that it's time for a 4.0 because of all the new info that the FIDM exhibit produced. I think it'd be great if you wanted to do it Mirax. I'd say just run it past kay_dee and see what she wants to do. :)

19. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    I figured it wouldn't be fair to suggest a new, time comsuming update unless I was willing to offer my time to do it.

But, I'd also be perfectly happy to let kay-dee (or someone else) do it if she'd rather. She's so much better with technical descriptions and color info than I am. And, she's seen the real thing and I haven't. :)

Regards,
    M.

20. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm up to a challenge if no one else wants to. ;) Now don't think I do or don't want to, it really doesn't matter to me, and besides, kay_dee might be better at it, so scratch what I said. :p

And on your private tour, were you allowed to actually touch the dress? :eek:

~Spacelady

21. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002

Mirax - at the moment I don't have time to do an info update 4.0. So you are welcome to. I'm happy to perhaps help proof read any info you accumulate since I know that there is some inaccurate info in the current summary.

Um - I'd have to go back through some of my 'private tour' photos to see if I have something that will also help us on the size of the green flower. I'm still recovering from Comic-Con (have tons of pics to upload, and some real world work I have to complete this week as well). I'll try to get to it when I can.

- kay dee

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, I didn't get a photo of the color so I can't really comment. I did my darndest to choose the off-white color that was not too dark on the cards. (There were brighter whites that they offered, and darker yellowy colors). Yes, it's frustrating that the dye lot turned out differently (maybe looks more like the brigher whites they sell?) and our sequins may be white instead of 'champagne' or off-white. In the end the ONLY way anyone would know our sequins are a shade or two lighter is if we were standing shoulder to shoulder with the real costume. And as my friend said this weekend when I made a commment on 'I hope I picked the right color' - "With all of you using this color you will make it the officially correct color. There is no other color." LOL! Thanks again SO much to Mirax for finding these elusive sequins. I'm just ecstatic to have white sequins in the right shape and size. It's more than I could have ever hoped for.

- kay dee

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well then I nominate Mirax to do the 4.0v. It seems like it should be her turn. :)

kay_dee, I'm totally looking forward to seeing your Comic Con pictures. Which costumes did you get to wear?

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I didn't bring my purple dress this year. It was just too hot and crowded, and it's too hard to sit in panels in that hoop skirt! I also couldn't get my Padme deleted scene family gown finished in time. I did wear my classic and ceremonial Leia. Classic Leia gets a few more hollars and requests for photos since it's so recognizable. Ceremonial Leia is one that women will walk up to me and say 'your costume is so beautiful' but photo requests are fewer because I don't think most people know who I am (or it's just not as Iconic or impressive) Although the DJ at the bar that night knew who I was and gave us a free round of shots! He played the John Williams opening score, then played the ANH DVD on the video screen! It was a whirl wind weekend and I'll probably post some of the funny details of my time with Sister_Sola, Nabooty_Call, LadySonnet and others on my LJ later today or tomorrow :) http://kay_dee70.livejournal.com/

- kay dee

25. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, I'll start working right away, but I will definitely want kay-dee and Dawn and anyone else who actually saw the real dress to edit for me before I post.

*licks thumb to start turning back pages* ;)

Regards,
    M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.