main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    *whiney voice*
    Buuutttt...Mirax, I want to see the real one so I can plot an even more accurate recreation....
    *end whiney voice* :p

You CRACKED me up with that! Blarharharharharharhar!
    I would sign it, but I don't know if I could promise that I would be able to resist.... [face_mischief]

So, even if it is a shot in the dark, you guys think it's worth investigating? And, yes, Trisha did have some other costumes at her panel. I remember trying to get a good look at them after her talk, but being unceremoniously swept out of the room by security. A private viewing would be astounding.

I poked around the LFL website yesterday because I remember there being an area about the LFL archive department. I *think* it was when there was a job opening in the department years ago and so there was a description of it with contact info and the names of the archivists working there. Alas, I found no such area of the site devoted to the archives yesterday...maybe someone else can look around?

I also remember the name of a member here at the JC who was involved with C2 and got to help in setting up the costumes and props that were on display last time. Maybe he might have a lead as to who we could ask. And Jaina, I'll pm you too. :) Thanks!

Nemhaille, your new shoes sound sooo pretty!

Okay...I'm, believe it or not, going to a Payless shoe store now to look for the black shoes in my size. WooHoo!

2. Vargman77

Vargman77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm sitting here getting ready for our next day at the con, I can't really see what I'm writing since I can't wear my glasses when I've attached the bun, or rather my helpful handmaiden has attached them. i think I got some nice photos of me, an Endor Leia and my handmaiden.

I had great fun yesterday, but for my next blouse I must remember to make slieves that make it possible to lift the arms over the head. :)

edit/ oops forgot that I hadn't logged into my own name, well that's the thing when you are using someone elses computer/ OA

3. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    :) They are rather pretty Obi-Dawn:) They have detatchable ankle straps too;)

SHoes are really difficult for me to buy as I have a really high instep. Not high arches, well not very, but the bones are really tall;)

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So I'm looking around for photos from the con, my own wont be up in a long time, I still don't have a digital camera. I have a photo of me hugging Dave Prowse there, can't wait to see it. :D

I think this is the best photo where you can see some of the vines on the cape.

FF Sweden and an independent but really nice dark jedi can be found here

Me, a jedi guardian and my handmaiden here

5. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Obi Anne, you look wonderful!
    The vines on the cape look really good, and your hair is just beautiful!

It looks like a great time was had by all.

6. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    YOur costume looks fantastic. I can't raise my arms very well in my blouse either.

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    You look beautiful Obi Anne! Great job on the embroidery! Wow, can't wait to see the picture of you hugging David Prowse! That's so cool!

Okay, I think I have officially gone crazy - I dreamed about Obi-Dawn's picnic dress - that I was at a con, and it was on display, and I was inspecting it up close to see the details! :p

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Sister-Sola, that was me inside your head just saying hello! :p Or, my idea about getting the real one on display at C3 has permeated your subconcious! Muwahahahahahahahahaha!

Obi-Anne, you look so gorgeous! Your cape is turning out very nice, indeed. :)

9. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Mirax - that is hilarious! I'd sign! I'm so bad at tearing up (figuratively) my own work when it's done - that this isn't right, or that's not right.. :)

Obi-Anne - you look great!

We have to find out how to have the picnic dress at CIII! Obi-Dawn - you're right - they didn't let us get a very good look at the other costumes Trisha brought. They were the gold/purple Travel outfit, the nightdress and robe, and Jamillia's costume. They were way at the back of the stage and kind of in the dark. My friend Diane got a semi-decent pic of them because she had a good zoom. But they were too dark and too far away for my camera. And there was no way to get within 30 feet of the costumes even at the edge of the stage!

Maggie

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, there has bee a lot of activity while I've been away (spent the last two weeks looking for a new home and moving). Mirax Your post was so funny, but I can't sign your agreement for the Picnic Gown display! I'm afraid after seeing it in person I'd have no choice but to make it again (provided I could find the perfect silk fabric for the skirt - that's still something I consider a missing link) :)

Maggie those payless shoes are a great find! They have a very Renaissance feel to them. For only about 7 dollars I should pick some up just to have in my costume collection huh? (I happened to get blue velvet china flats for my Arwen Mourning gown).

Obi-Anne It looks like your costume came together well for the convention and you must have had fun! I look forward to seeing more of your photos.

I can't wait to get all my packing and moving behind me so I can get back to sewing!

-Kay Dee

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Nice Obi Anne, you look great!

It is amazing how we all look at the same dress and create it slightly different. We all focus on different details. We are undoubtedly artists.

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm buried in other projects at the moment, but I'm half-tempted to give this dress a try... only in a different color. (yeah, I know, original me - Jedi-Girl-of-Corellia's already done it ;) )

But... what about doing it in black? Gives it some interesting possibilities. 'Course, one would have to be careful with colors to make sure it didn't end up looking like a funeral gown...

Or red.

Hmmmmm...

I shall ponder this more while I work on my friend's costume this week. :D

13. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Mmmmmmm... a black version would be ultra cool to see done.

Do it, kreleia, do it!

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I think it would be really cool to have a black dress with red details on it.

I've cut out the pattern pieces for the blouse today, hopefully I will have time to cut out the fabric tomorrow.

15. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Heh, I know where to get the skirt fabric in dark colors! I can't remember if true black was there but I can check! :)

16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    How about blue, CV? But light blue.

17. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm making this dress, I have the bodice done but I first can't find my pattern for my sleeves :_| I probably asked this already but is there anyway to make a new pattern without buying the entire pattern over again? And how would the sleeves sew onto the dress? ?[face_plain]

Thanks! :)

~Spacelady

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    spacelady, which pattern did you use for your bodice? Is it an off the shoulder type?

19. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm sorry to hear you lost your pattern SpaceLady. Do you still have the instructions for the pattern you are using? That will tell you how to go about sewing your sleeves on (if you lost those instructions perhaps one of us has used the same pattern and can tell you how to construct it - you need to tell us what pattern, number and view it is though)

If you are not used to drafting your own patterns you should probably purchase the pattern again (if you are not in a hurry just wait for a 99 cent pattern sale). I actually took a pattern draping class over the weekend and the woman (who has years of experience draping and drafting patterns) even told us 'don't bother trying to draft your own sleeves. Just take an exhisting sleeve pattern you like and modify it' - being sure to true the measurment and shape of the sleeve cap to fit the arm hole appropriately.

-Kay Dee

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I had to buy a new pattern when I was doing slieves for a thing, didn't want to risk anything.

Yesterday I sewed my skirt together. It wasn't that easy keeping track of all layers, but the result was lovely. All I want to do is swirl around in it. Hopefully I will have a photo up soon, one of the girls had a digital camera and I hope that she managed to take a pic before the batteries died totally.

21. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Obi-Anne You look beautiful--Love the hair!! :)

Obi-Dawn LOL! Stealing the real dress!! Only you are just crazy enough to do jail time for this dress!! 8-}

MiraxYou crack me up!!!! I love your "contract"--we should have to sign in blood! [face_devil]

spacelady If you need a new pattern Joann's has Simplicity patterns on sale today (19th) through Sunday for 5 for $5--their generic Picnic dress pattern should be a good place for you to start from for your sleeves, sorry I don't remember the #--it's in the costume section.

As far as colored variations--I think black would be awesome, and I think light blue would be beautiful--totally different looks. I have always wanted a sage green one :)

~Ferd

22. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    oook people. Im in need of a lot of help.

Usually, i can make a Padme dress 1..2..3.

But now I have to make a corset.. and bone it.. and Grrr

I bought lots of Muslin to play with first of course.

I made a mock-up of the corset with 1 layer of muslin.

Here is where I need help.

I used 3 panels on each side, and 1 big panel for the middle, where all the embriodary will go. (So all together theres ||| big peice ||| (ha nice picture)

So my question is, where to go from here? I know I need a few layers of this to make the corset thick and stiff (how many) and the boning, I decided to go with the Nylon boning so it is easy to but with scissors (and it afforable) problem is, it keeps curling! How do I make it straight? (Other then putting it under my car tire lol)

23. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    If you hit nylon boning with a medium-hot iron, or set it on a flat surface and blast it a bit with steam, it will usually flatten out.

I'll let the Picnic Pros cover the rest of your picnic-centric questions. ;)

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Samantha, are you ready to start working on your actual fabric? Or are you still working with fitting the muslin?

As for the layers of your corset, I can tell you that I ended up using five on mine. But I don't know what type of fabric you are going to use for your outermost layer so I'll just give you a basic rundown of what I would recommend:
    • 1st layer: Actual fabric

• 2nd layer: Interfacing

• 3rd layer: Coutil or a cotton duck like fabric for stiffness

• 4th layer: Lining. It's nice if you make the corset self lined, as in lining it with the same fabric you use for the outer layer.

The interfacing is optional, I suppose, if you are using a coutil or duck fabric for stiffness. Personally, I like to embroider through the outer layer and a layer of interfacing.
    Once you get to the embroidery part, the Sulky product that kay_dee recommends does work really well, so you might consider using that. It lays ontop of your outermost layer whilst embroidering.

I had curly boning too and didn't even bother to try and flatten it. (I'm reckless! WooHoo!) It just learns to behave better once it is in the garment. Although, had I known surly's advice I probably would have tried it. :p

25. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm still working with the Muslin. Im trying to make sure I get all the panels the right lengh and stuff, and making sure it fits me nicely.

Besides, this isnt getting debuted until July.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.