main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Nice Ferd! Now you have me wanting to create my dress again.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Well I updated/finished the Padme Picnic tutorial. Let me know what you think, if I missed anything too vital...

EDIT: I can't spell ::curses the lack of spell check on the boards::

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    For those who have inquired with me about the sequins--I am going to be posting the info here as soon as I go back to the shop and get the #s and stuff from the material.

And, I roughly counted how many sequins you get out of 1/8 of a yard--21 sequins per row and I have 195 rows--So that's 4,095 sequins--plenty for one dress, probably enough for two! :)

~Ferd

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    FERD, the sequins are superb. If only they had been around a year ago....*sigh*

The crazy person in me needs to have them though. PM'ing you now.... ;)

5. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Dawn, I love you, but I think you may need to seek out professional help for your Picnic fever...

;)

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I cannot accept butterflies under the guise of four petaled flowers any longer. :p

7. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I think it's time for an intervention!! Obi_dawn Had I known finding the sequins would aggrivate your condition I would have left them at the store. 8-} Of course, this is why you will forever be The Picnic Queen!! I love your obsessive compulsive behavior--It makes me look normal! LOL! [face_devil]

Can't wait to see Version 3.0

~Ferd (the one who sent Obi_dawn over the edge!)

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    FERD, I lub you. :)

9. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Woohoo! Awesome find, Ferd!!! Count me in for 1/8 of a yard! Ferd, what color are the sequins? I'm assuming they're iridescent white (like the shimmer sheetz), but in the pictures they have a bit of a yellowish cast to them. Is that just due to the picture-taking conditions?

Caitlin

10. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    hmmm, I'm thinking I might need some of those too. Does the store mail order?

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hey it's not so bad.... Dawn only has to unstitch all the sequins on her version 2 Picnic dress and sew all the flower sequins onto it!

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    JainaMSolo As I had told Obi_dawn the sequins are a weird color. They are irredescent, and do reflect white in certain light--but they are a sort of pale light gold (like the color of the costume itself) I tried to photograph them on a few different backgrounds so you could see what they look like--but a tiny sequin is hard to capture with a camera :) I laid them on the yellow/gold material I use to make this gown and they definitely show up--and look like the real mccoy. I have studied the Vanity Fair cover forever and I don't know if the real costume's sequins are stark white--or a color similar to these and just reflect white with light and photography. :confused: Reason 1,287,698,001 why we all need to see this costume in person. LOL!

Liann Yes, the store does do mail orders--They are based out of Florida. I will put up the ordering information as soon as I go there again and write it all down.

~Ferd :)

13. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    thanks a lot.

14. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Obi-Anne I have done circle skirts before;) For my Anne of Cleves and a 1520s German gown;) Yes... the hems are super big;) But you use much less fabric for them;)

Ferd: wow. Those sequins are great:)

And more shoes stuff.. hehehe, I found a pair of pale shoes in ... Portmans I think it was. It was just like the payless ones but an off white;)

Oh and there are all these split sole shoes in the shops right now! I'm thinking wow! I nearly bought split sole dance shoes when I did dance;)

The same ballet slipper style but with split soles. Very cool. I can imagine how flexible they are.. but to walk about in?

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm up on one of the official photos from Jedi-Con, unfortunately the logo covers most of my dress. Hopefully I will have my own photos up next week, but until then click here

edit/ link only gives you a small pic, if you want the larger one go to www.digitaldesignteam.de and click on galleries and then Jedi-Con gallery 3, I'm on the third or fourth page.

16. oopsy_daisy

oopsy_daisy Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    hey evryone,
    don't know if this might help but i've been doing some research for this dress and i found a website on making corsets from scratch, no patterns, just making one in a custom size and shape. the method is pretty sound but i haven't tried it yet. here's the address
    http://www.waisted.com

ps, being a complete computer rem, i can't post links, sorry for the inconvenience

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for sharing your photo Obi-Anne! Your Padme costume is great and the con looks like it was a lot of fun.

This should be the direct link to your large photo

And here is the close up photo.

oopsy_daisy - Thanks for the link to the corset construction site. I have not had a chance to read through all the information - but using tape to make a pattern is new to me. I'm wondering if this is a standard or normal way of draping a corset? Yeah, I can just see my husband helping me with this one (not! He couldn't take it seriously).

-Kay Dee

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    "Yeah, I can just see my husband helping me with this one (not! He couldn't take it seriously)."

Blarhar! My husband would be the same way. ;)

Obi-Anne, you look beautiful as usual!

19. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Cape Tulle

When I was in the L.A. Fabric Mart/district in March I came across a rose embroidered tulle that thought I had seen posted at the Padawan's Guide at one time - I think the photo of the tulle has since been taken down though.

It wasn't an exact match the the cape fabric used on the costume since it was a 4 cluster rose pattern, but for those who are weary of dying their own fabric this is a nice alternative because it is a golden brown color and the roses were the right shade of pink.

Here is the scan of the tiny swatch they were willing to give me (Someone took photos of the fabric for me, so if I can get a hold of them I'll post those too)

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/picnicpadme/cape_tulle.jpg]

Termeh Fabric said they would take orders by e-mail (termehfabricla@aol.com) or over the phone and quoted me $7.00 a yard.

-Kay Dee

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You always find the best fabrics kay_dee. I think you were born with a really good 'fabric finding gene' or something. :)

I don't know if anyone remembers, but back in October 2002 I posted about seeing a comercially produced picnic dress costume for children. I only ever saw it in a newspaper ad for Party City, but I think jesslv74 can be seen wearing one in some pics she posted in the white battle costume thread. Check out her link which she posted in the tenth post on this page of that thread. It looks like they paid attention to the corset embroidery design, but I'm not sure if it's actually embroidered or printed on. Interesting!

21. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Kay dee, how funny you should mention that just now-- I was in the Fashion District on Saturday and saw a several different roses-on-netting fabrics in a variety of colors. My first thought was "wow, I should tell the picnic dress thread about this!" I *think* the store was Lace Palace, although I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it had "lace" in the store name. And I didn't get the price. :( The only excuse I can give is that it was really freaking hot in downtown LA on Saturday, and my brain had melted and was leaking out my ears. Anyway, I saw the picnic-cape fabric, again with the four roses instead of three, and then there were other colors. I specifically remember dark blue flowers on white netting and pinky-red flowers on black netting, but I know there were others. Ack! I should have taken notes. Well, I'm certainly going back in the near future, and I'll do better next time.

Caitlin

22. jesslv74

jesslv74 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    I don't think the pattern on the dress is embroidered. I think it might have been painted on. Will put up pics soon!

Jessica

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    How many yards would you need for the cape? I can't count in yards, only meters.

24. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Try this math converter:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

25. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh, Ferd! You are a life-saver! Please count me in for that fabric. 4000+ sequins in an 1/8 of a yard! Woohoo!

(My fiance thanks you too since he's been on punching detail and hates the job! :) )

Dawnie - *M. shakes head sadly* All I can say is you wouldn't be you, if you weren't going to re-do it again. :) :) We love you and we promise to visit you in the Funny Farm! ;)

Regards,
    M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.