main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Jaina, what a coincidence that you were just in the LA garment district area! There are so many fabric stores there it's easy to forget which one is which isn't it? I had seen the 4 cluster rose tulle in other colors at a few shops, but this was the only one that had it in gold. Back in March they had 2 rolls of it, but I know that people do go and purchase things by the roll down there so I don't know if they still have it in stock.

I got a hold of the pictures of the fabric too:

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/picnicpadme/cape_tullefar.jpg]

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/picnicpadme/cape_tull_4cluster.jpg]

Obi-Anne My completed cape is nearly 1.5 yards wide, so I'd think that 1.75 yards would be a safe amount to purchase. Maybe more if you have to dye it since you'll need to do dye tests and sometimes the edges turn out dark (unusable) PLUS it could shrink.

-Kay Dee

2. jesslv74

jesslv74 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    Here are some pictures of the fabric used on the child's verson of the picnic dress that I wore last Halloween, as requested. There are three pictures, and they can be found here.

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thank you Jessica! I really appreciate it. :)

4. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    And here all this time I thought that Dawn had just had some crazed Picnic-obsessed fever dream that there had been a mass produced children's costume version of this dress.
    :p

Thanks for posting the pics, Jessica! It's fascinating to me that this costume was done, but seen by so few. I mean, one would think that with the popularity of the Picnic Gown, there would have been kojillions of them on the racks everywhere at Halloween.
    Befuddling.

grammar edit... and it's still a little sloppy.

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, since I am usually delusional it's understandbale that you didn't believe me surly. j/k :p

I am really fascinated by the Rubies corset because they seem to have really paid close attention to the design of the embroidery. I assume LFL gave them reference pics of the real one, so this is a cool find.
    They incorporated the 'cut out' designs, which look like they're printed on like the rest of it, but it's intereting to see them there.
    All in all, there don't seem to be too many differences between it and my sketch. Thank goodness. ;)

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I think the detail on the childs costume is amazing! They even put the small white flowers and larger green flowers on the skirt. (I'm assuming it was printed on the fabric)

I think it's funny how we struggled to look at screen captures of p-19 to get the embroidery down with all the gold scrolls, and that childs costume probably would have been an accurate pattern to follow. (Yeah, I know the costume wasn't on the store shelves early enough for most of our projects - but the idea that the pattern was out there is what's ironic to me).

-Kay Dee

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You just have to love the irony of it. Reminds me of the very day I finished my first corset's embroidery. The very same day the best spoiler pic to date of her corset hit the net and showed all of the glaring inaccuracies of my first interpretation...in fact, I think it was just a day or so after that that P-19 hit the web.

And so it goes with the picnic dress woes.... :p

8. jesslv74

jesslv74 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    Yes, I was worried it would look cheesy but it's actually pretty beautiful. If I'd been able to get my hands on a child's size Large, I think it would have fit better (this was a child's medium...it was a little too short and the corset didn't go down as low as I would have liked). Maybe I'll be able to track it down again someday, hehe. Did you all see the actual pictures or ME wearing the costume? I posted them on the Battle Outfit page, I think on the last page. There is an album on there comparing Nat and me.

Jessica

9. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I cannot believe how detailed that rubies costume is. It would have been wonderful to have that a couple years ago. There's no better time than now to make a Picnic dress--all the research and finds eveyone has gathered-It's all laid out now 1-2-3. -It's incredibly ironic that all of us did so much analyzing and discussing and trial and error to have so many questions answered by a cheapy child's Halloween costume--LOL! Oh well, Live and learn :)

Dawn I think it certainly proves your sketch was pretty much right on the money--You're soooo good. :D

~Ferd

10. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Guys,

Did you all notice the squares on the SIDE panels of the Rubies costume?? Are there any pics you all can think of that we can scrutinize to verify this? Any thoughts on whether that might have been continued all the way around?

I don't know about you all, but I feel like Jessica has found the Rosetta Stone of the Picnic Dress. :) ;)

Jessica - Any chance of some more close-ups of other details? I'd love to see the vining on the skirt, one of the larger flowers and how it fits in the pattern and the back of the corset piece. Also, a really high quality, all-inclusive pic of all of the embroidery would be great - taken from straight above, not at an angle.

Amazing find! Thank you for sharing!

Regards,
    M.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Mirax. :)

I've always been able to see the square 'cut-out' shapes on at least the front five panels of the real corset. (The center front panel and the two on either side of it.) I've looked through all my reference pics and it's hard to tell for sure if they go all the way around to the back. I have one picture that shows her back but it's obscured by the cape. When I blow it up on my monitor I see some square shapes that might be the cut-out thingies, but I'm not certain.

As for the Rubies version of the corset, it looks like it's all one piece (not separate panels) but does have printed on lines that delineate the seams of only five panels total, while the original has eleven panels. I think it's a great reference, but not totally accurate.

12. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Dawn!

Ok, I guess I'd missed the fact that the squares were on the side front panels as well. One of the pics from your page shows what could be squares on a side closer to the back, but it's not difinitive. (Please let the real thing be at CIII!!) Thanks for clearing that up!

I did notice that the Rubies seemed to be a little shy of panels. I was wondering if the back was folded under because I didn't notice a closure.

Regards,
    M.

13. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    jesslv74 - wow, I didn't even know there was a Rubies Picnic costume. I did a web search on it, and you can't find it anywhere. Would you mind if I posted your pics on my site in the picnic gown section? They are certainly intersting from the embroidery point of view - and the fact that it has the little squares on it! :)

Maggie

14. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Maggie--I know you what you mean--I googled it any everything else. You can find places that stock it, or did, but no pictures. I do know that there were some on ebay around Halloween last year--I saw them, and I'm sure one pops up now and again there, too. If you could snag one for a deal it would be a great thing to examine. It is a great reference item as far as the embroidery goes. :)

~Ferd

15. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hey everyone!

I saw this cute little baby dress today with the picnic flower fabric in green and purple, so I had to share!
    photo

The store also had green, pink, and off white, but I got in trouble after taking the first picture.

:)
    ecila

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I can't get the photo to work. :(

Well I've been up for 35 hours straight, that's what it takes to get through the traditional student spring ball. I wore the picnic dress for it, that was my original planning from the start to have it finished for this ball. I had a great time, and hopefully I will get some photos up with the jewellery that I had found that matched the dress perfectly.

Pic can be found here and here

The reason why I'm not wearing the cape on these photos is that at the dinner there is one speech to the glory of the ladies, and one to the glory of the men. The guy that I went with surprised us all by being the one who told the speech to the glory of the ladies, and just before he went up to speak he decided to use my cape and my bag as props in his speech, so at least I can say that now the picnic cape is famous around here.

17. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    You look great Obi-Anne, yours neclace is beautiful, it goes well with the dress. I'm intrigued by the medals and sashes?(not sure the proper term) that everyone is wearing, it adds an elegance to it.

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You always look beautiful in your dress, Obi-Anne. :) (Love the necklace!)

So, how did your friend incorporate the cape into his speech?

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    That necklace sure is a beauty.
    You look wonderful, Obi-Anne, and even more importantly, very happy.
    :)

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks everybody!

Well in the speech he mentioned that he had tried to understand what it was like being a woman, and then he brought my handbag and put the cape on and said the rest of the speech.

This is one of the best weekends during the whole year, I guess in terms of student life around here it's more or less like Dragon*Con. The medals and sashes are from different kinds of student organisations and clubs. (the system with the organisations can be a bit complicated, but for example I'm wearing the sash/ribbon for my student organisation and a medal from a club with that organisation)

21. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    For those of you who have done multiple versions of this and other dresses, what did you do with the old ones?

22. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Obi Anne I love your corset! Very beautiful! :) Amazing!

~Spacelady

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Obi_Anne Your pics are great. I love your corset, the embroidery looks fantastic. The jewelry is perfect! Great find.
    And, I agree, you look Very happy--seems like you had a blast.

chibiangi In my case, the dresses when on to a better place :) meaning someone else's closet.

Ferd :)

24. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Obi-Anne, you look lovely! I love the necklace, and your pretty spirally hair!

25. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    While searching for another fabric I came across this . It's from thai silks, and I didn't see it listed in the fabric suggestions of the main post so I thought I'd post it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.