main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's green velvet robe from Episode 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedilucass, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks great Samantha!

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    In reference to the photo from the Calendar over at Padawan's Guide, there seems to be an overlap of sides in the front bottom of the Robe.

So, with a foot into practicality, does that means that the Robe is kept close through a system of press studs or velcro? Initially I thot of sewing the 2 sides in the front close like a seam and maybe add an invisible dress zip at the top since I hate to see my robe flipping open every time I walk, but seeing that photo is making me reconsider.

I think I'll stick with McCall's 3663 which I had been using for my Hogwarts School Robe to make this Robe, with the Sleeves modified again to make more straight and longer, and maybe the sides of the body wider and collar V-Shaped.

Shifting this project to be done by end of June since I doubt I can afford the velvet currently and had no luck locally. :(

3. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    been wondering about that too....

what's Jedi_Samantha's take on it? :) Oh, and J_S, did you put any of the velvet etchings on your robe? if you did, what method did you use? :)

4. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I'm planning to paint on mine for the front only using Fabric Paint. :p But I have no experience painting onto a velvet with nape, only Velveteen which some people said looked like suede in photos, so will do a little experimenting first. ;)

5. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    yeah, someone suggested fabric paint to me too. although it wouldn't exactly have the same effect, at least the pattern will be there. :)

any other suggestions? :)

6. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Velvet etching cream? :

http://www.silkpaint.com/fiberetch/index.htm

7. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
  8. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    what's Jedi_Samantha's take on it? Oh, and J_S, did you put any of the velvet etchings on your robe? if you did, what method did you use?

No no no!!! 100 dollar velvet....

I wasnt touching it!

A friend of mine though knows what hes doing. He said if i get him a picture -- he would carve out the symbol for me, and help me get the symbols on it.

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL! :p Frankly, I think I might not too but with the amount I had spent for my costumes (especially my Arwen Gowns), I think I'll only risk it as to put the Emblems on the front only along the opening after a lot of experimenting on the scrap fabrics. I might do actual etching in the future but not currently.

10. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I have one little scrap peice of fabric left to be able to to a test on it - but i like the dress the way it is to be honest.

Eventually, i'll be selling a lot of my costumes to help foot the bill for the picnic dress that someone here on these boards is going to be making for me :) (i just done have the patience anymore to sew..)

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Really, really bad news for me. :_| :_|

Syfabrics do not ship outside USA NOR take payment outside USA; not even PayPal. [face_frustrated] I can solve the shipping problem using this service Singapore Postal Service offer (vPost USA) but the payment side.... [face_frustrated]

Hai....what a bad news tonite, especially after I discovered I didn't get enough White Fleech and Silk Satin for my Snow Bunny Padme Cape with 2m, even if I use Semi-Circle (was aiming for 3/4 circle). Should had gotten 3m each for both. :oops:

12. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    Darth_Eagle: So sorry about the fabric. :( Oh, and I read up on embossing and etching through Maggie's site also, but to be honest, I'm scared about doing it. Meep. I might opt for velvet stamping instead of devore.

Jedi_Samantha: Oh, what about the front of your robes? Did you have a seam down the front, like Darth_Eagle was asking about a few posts back? :) I still can't decide if I should just put an invisible zipper on, or if I should just sew it closed.

13. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Jedi_Samantha: Oh, what about the front of your robes? Did you have a seam down the front

I scratched the zipper idea and just have a seam now. I put the dress on over my head. :)

14. jedi_ginny

Apr 25, 2002
    thanks. good idea, it's easier to do. :D

15. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    ohlala! sneak peek me!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/pin3.jpg]

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just came back from the first private screening in Singapore. :D

This Robe is in the movie in 1 scene only alone and with the hood down.

As for costume related, the train on the back is the longest at the center back.

17. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Tenyon - that looks amazing! How did you do it?

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    So she is seen wearing this costume in a scene by herself. It must have been from the pick-up shots we saw on the webcam. I'm so glad this costume made the final cut. :)

Your brooch looks wonderful, Tenyon.

19. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Thank you Maggie and Dawn :) .
    I'm so clad the costume is in the movie! I was so scared when I heard the rumor of the dress being cut out of the movie.
    I made the brooch with tiny beads that I painted myself with nailpolish, because unfortunately I couldn't find the right color of green for the little beads. I could find a beading raster that made the beading a little easier.
    I made a little pattern for myself, you can find it here.
    I made the edge of the brooch using thick brown cord and twisted brown embroidery floss around it. When I went around a couple of times I dropped a bit of fabric glue on to secure it. After that I glued the brown string to the edge of the brooch, that holds (to my surprise) very well, and you can't see the glue.

20. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    wow,Tenyon, the brooch looks great! And I'm glad that this gown wasn't cut from the movie- it's just too pretty. Even though it's been put back on my to do list, I still plan on finishing it. Once again, the brooch looks great!

~Laura

21. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Sweet brooch! :eek: :D

I had been thinking of making this costume, and for the symbols I had thought of experimenting with a combo of methods if I proved inept with fiber etch--embossing the symbol, and then going back into the smooth stamped velvet with fabric paint. The design won't be as sunken in as the etched pattern, but it might work decently. Anyone else feel like trying this? [face_batting]

22. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Hell, I even take tiny scissors and cut out the symbol by hand :p .
    I have enough scraps of fabric left so I will be experimenting with that. Don't want to ruin my beautiful fabric as Jedi Samantha also said before, I'm just going to take my time for it.

23. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    I'm back from the Line-up. The movie was amazing and so sad, even if you know what is going to happen.
    I wore the green robe the second day a couple of hours. I don't have any pictures of it yet *took pictures of almost every costume accept my own :p * , but you can see some pictures of the half-finished dress and underdress on my livejournal.
    I really enjoyed wearing the dress, but I was glad that I could get out of it at the beginning of the evening, because my shoulders and back were aching :p how appropriate.

24. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Can't edit the last post annymore, I'm sorry,(3 row post :( ).
    I got a nice picture of the costume from my friend this evening and I wanted to share it with you :)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/green_cut_half.jpg]

25. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Denver fabrics is going to wonder why its selling its moss green velvet so fast! LOL

It looks wonderful!!! Good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.