main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's green velvet robe from Episode 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedilucass, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Thanks Tenyon!
    I loved the pictures of your dress. The fabric you used looks very similar to mine.

~Doc_Bev

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Oooo Doc_Bev, you got it made :D Looks great :)

3. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Thanks Benae_Quee!

There are still some things I'd like to do for it. Like, finish the brooch, line the sleeves (and probably the rest of the dress), make a new hoop skirt that is closer to the shape I'm
    looking for and maybe (if I'm brave enough) burn on the emblem all over the gown. [face_worried]

Ya know - just a short list. :p

~Doc_Bev

4. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks beautiful, Doc_Bev. :)

Here is mine, though I forgot the wrap and I don't have a hoop skirt, but I did have a pleated skirt! :D :p

Padmé Cloak

You can actually see my skirt, it hangs on the floor under the cloak. :p

~Spacelady

5. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Doc_Bev: Yes, looks like the fabric at Sy fabrics isn?t that big difference with that of Denver Fabrics , looks really good.
    I know what you mean with burning that symbol on it, I still don?t have the courage to etch mine out :p
    Spacelady, you look cute in you dress, and I?m totally awed by that pleated skirt: it rocks!:D ;)

6. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    i totally love this dress, well, the one in the film. mine isn't the most accurate, but it sure is comfy. big time! i've actually worn it about five times thus far...
    washing it: not so much fun...
    anyways, here's a pic, minus the brooch and petticoat, on the dress form. the lighting and general picture sort of sucks. sorry about the messy closet view.
    and then here's a pic of me with some of my star wars group members at a charity event a couple of weeks ago. i'm not sure why i got stuck sitting down. grrr. at least i remembered to put my brooch on. the colour is a bit too dark looking in this one.
    i can't afford, or find, the right sort of velvet, so i got creative and used the buttersuede fabric for 2.95 a yard a la walmart, and costume satin for the sash and the full satin lining. to keep the hood up i sewed in a toupee clip. i deliberately made the arms longer than padme's because of the cold weather, and i made a stencil with the naboo symbol to be painted onto the dress with very, very watered down lavender fabric paint, but i haven't had time to do that yet.
    i made two brooches with glass beads and jasper on a handmade raster..good thing, too, because i broke the first one when i had my dog in a costume contest, clad as obi wan..hee hee...

one day, i'll get better pics.
    back to work on the packing gown.

7. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I think that it looks great. I like the buttersuede fabric and maybe I'll go that route. I'm just a little poor at the moment. I really want to do this dress because I think it looks awesome. Can't wait to see more pictures.

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, I finished this last weekend for my friends Daughter. And he has had a bit of fun with Adobing it! I ran out of the velvet and had to match the back of the sleeves as best I could, but I have to admit, it looks pretty good! :D

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/VictoriaPadme2.jpg]

9. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Very nice pictures, nice job on the dress it very nice on her:) .

They posted a very nice picture of this costume on Natalieportman.com [image=http://www.natalieportman.com/picstemp/IIIVC108.jpg]

*drewl*

10. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you. I now need to write a tutorial on how to 'rag curl' her hair for her mother! :p

11. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Lovely work as always Addie ;)

12. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I got my Dressing the Galaxy deluxe edition yesterday, and I got some fabric swatches from the Green velvet robe. which by the way, the fabric is much much lighter then it it is shown in the promotional shots. very light colored.

anyways. one of the swatches i got was of some fabric that is kind of like the obi fabric on the Ep. 1 pre-senate kimono. with the diamond pattern. but it was green and purple. what part of the costume is this from? for the life of me I can't figure it out 0_0
    I would scan it or take a picture of it, but I don't have time right now. sorry. hopefully my description made sense.....If someone wants pictures maybe I can do it later. tahnks for any help guys!

EDIT: I figured it out, it is from the insides of the sleeves. I never noticed till I looked at some up close pics from the FIDM exibit (pics on Padawansguide).
    so I guess never mind ^.^;

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    For those still looking for silk velvet to make this gown, see ThePariah's post today in the "Fabric Finds" thread. It's $29.99 a yard though...

~Doc_Bev

14. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, though like I said, they also have another green velvet that isn't silk (I don't know what it is) that could be a decent alternative. It's bound to be cheaper, though how much so, I'd have to find out. They have a lot of both kinds.

15. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    That does look nice! How easy is it to dye silk brocade?

~Doc_Bev

16. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Still trying to finish up the brooch for this dress. I have the dangling beads all worked out and have sewed the main circle of beads all to a piece of fabric, but am having a hard time finding the right trim to go around the edge of the brooch circle. Any suggestions?

~Doc_Bev

17. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    i used Hearty's brown air-dry clay. make a snake, then circle it, then add impressions. then, add a lil' water based varnish. you can totally glue it to what you have.
    non-toxic is always better, if you ask me. that, and i'm terrified of sculpey pieces breaking on me.

18. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey everyone!

Just had to share on here the fantastic fabric I found this weekend for this costume. I'm making it for a friend of mine and while we already had some silk velvet we plan to use we didn't know what we were going to do for the sleeve lining. So we went shopping and found this:

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/A_Dark_Horse/Fabrics/100_1309.jpg]

Compare to the real fabric on Maggies site: [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/kd_greensleeve_detail.jpg]

I went back this morning to get the rest of the fabric after talking with Maggie and seeing how close it was to the real thing but unfortunately there was only 1.5 yards left (which I grabbed to use for my friends outfit as we really didn't get enough).

The store owner will be looking for another bolt of it though; it was a discontinued item so he couldn't even tell me who made it. I also have two other people looking for the same stuff.

What color is the sleeve lining exactly do you think? We'l be dyeing it of course and need to do some test runs. I believe our fabric is a cotton btw. I wonder how they dyed the real fabric the two colors?

Question for you all; what did you use for the petticoat? I am afraid a hoop skirt would be too round and a netted petticoat not full enough?

19. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Wow, awesome fabric find! That also looks like the stuff used in the Amidala Pre-Senate Kimono, I'd post a pic in that thread too.

I haven't made this costume, but for my wedding dress, I used a 3 hoop adjustable crinoline.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9310111590&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
    It is at it's fullest in that photo, but you can size it down to what ever size you need.

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/atomickitten/willkrisgethitched/websize/IM000827.JPG]
    You can see here I adjusted it to about half the original size. it's also very lightweight with an adjustable elastic waist and the shipping was extremely fast - excellent seller.

20. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks for the lead on that petticoat BQ, its awesome! I love how its adjustable; great for not having to buy another size hoop for another dress. Your wedding gown is gorgeous btw. :)

I will post a pic in the other thread if I can find more of it or even just info on it as I feel bad that I can't get anymore for others just yet. :(

21. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    What a fabric find! I am still researching and contiplating my plan of attack for this costume. I hope to be finished with it by the time Halloween comes around.

I would love to find this fabric around here.

22. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    My "4-HOOP BONE SUPER FULL CRINOLINE PETTICOAT" came from same ebay seller. I'm still trying to figure out the correct figure 8 twist to get it back to the small size that they looped it to for shipping ;)

I find that the elastic waist tends to slip down if you doing a lot of movement (like a polka) and I'm planning on replacing the elastic waist with a grosgrain ribbon waist.

Photos of my civil war gown (that I use the hoop/crinoline for) are here: http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=queenamidala&AID=2558642

23. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    It's usually not done in the dye process, it's done by weaving with two different color threads.

24. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005

I already have similar fabric linked in a 03/22 post over here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=23&TopicID=3355&PagePosition=1&Replies=40 - PreSenate costume RL thread

And I cross referenced it to the Pre-Senate thread on this board.

25. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Right but I was thinking if they already had the fabric made they might have dyed it if the fibers were different makeups (one synthetic, one natural). Just a thought. Couldn't do taht with mine as I'm pretty sure it's all cotton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.