Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

Moderators: Briannakin
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I didn't even notice. 'ObiWill' is the same as 'Benae' to me now. :p
    Thanks for the update and no worries. :)
  2. fairyprincess Jedi Youngling

star 1
  3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    My ribbons came yesterday and they are beautiful. :D Thank you, Benae!

edit: The picnic dork that I am, I saw these itsy bitsy little flowers while out on a walk the other day and just had to take their picture. They look like the beloved sequins! :)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/ObiDawn/IMG_0113.jpg?t=1209475374
  4. ewok78 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Got my robbons too !
    Wonderfull having the same as thfilm But I thought they were more shiny !

Than you Banae
  5. Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wow, that was FAST! When they are photographed with a flash, they shine, just like the originals :)
  6. ewok78 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    OK !
    I know the were something !!!!!!!!!
  7. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    My ribbons arrived Wednesday, I love the. Thank you so much for the work with them. :)
  8. MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Hey everyone! I decided I wanted to make this costume in March. My goal is for the Clone Wars premiere. Since then I picked out some materials. It's too bad that I found this thread after I've started. Mine won't be nearly as exact as some of yours! So far I've been hand-stitching my skirt and glueing on little white paperish flowers from the scrap booking section. I think they are bigger than the "elusive" sequins that some of you ordered back on Thread 3.0. I bought a shower curtain from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It has the roses in clusters of 4, but I'm happy with it. I also made the headband. I'm at the point where I need some experenced sewing hands to help me put my two layers of skirt fabric together and add the yolk and zipper. I'm planning on asking my husband's grandma for help over the weekend. Hopefully, I can add a pic once it's together. I also picked up some yellow yarn and a "I taught myself ot crochet" book. So, that will be fun to learn for the snoods. Thanks to everyone who has put up so much info. I know that my blouse and corset will be better with that knowledge!
  9. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi Everyone,

MerR2D2 - There are still tons of sequins left of you'd like to order them. PM me if you are interested.

Benae - Thank you so much for taking care of the ribbons! They are beautiful and float perfectly!

For anyone using them, be sure to Fray Check the ends because they fray like crazy! I might also suggest that if you do another order, you increase the yardage to 10. 8 yards just isn't quite enough for everything. By the time you cut them for the upper elastic, wrapping the lower arm and hair ribbons, the tails just aren't long enough, in my opinion.

Well, a year later than planned, here are a couple pics of my (nearly) completed Version 3.0. I have a few small, internal details to finish, but it is wearable. I can't believe I've spent six years working on the same costume! :)

Regards,
    M.

[image=http://www.gotarmor.net/picnic_dress/images/padme3.jpg]

[image=http://www.gotarmor.net/picnic_dress/images/padme3b.jpg]
  10. Takianna Jedi Knight

star 3
    It may have taken six years, but it looks awesome! I love to see everyone's complete things because I know I wouldn't have the patience for doing this.
  11. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you for the compliment!

I should have explained better, though. This version of the costume didn't take six years. This one took about a year with a large break in the middle. I've just been working on versions of the Picnic Dress for six years because I've made the same costume three times.

Regards,
    M.
  12. MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Mirax, thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I already finished glueing on my white flowers. Maybe next time! (It seems to be the case that almost everyone makes a second version at some point lol)
  13. Sotis Jedi Knight

star 1
    MiraxTHorn Brilliant! I love you dress so much! I give you a ton of congratulations!!! [face_love]
    You dress is really something. I'm extremely happy for you!
    @};-
    6 years... OMG, you are a hero)))
  14. afaeryschild Jedi Master

star 1
    MiraxTHorn- wow! that turned out lovely! :eek:
    Thanks for the warning on the ribbons, when mine arrive from Benae I will be sure to order some extra for my hair.
  15. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that's dedication! It looks amazing, the corset fits you so well. Me, I needed a picnic break. One of these days I'll get back on that horse...
  16. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    Well I'm in the stages of collecting new material at least, and now I've found a corset pattern that I really like. If I find a good fabric, or get my hands on enough money to order it from the US, then I want to restart my costume. My old skirt and chemise are still decent enough that if I redo the corset I wouldn't feel bad in it.
  17. starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight

star 5
    My ribbons came via fairyprincess who the Australian group order went to, and they arrived in my hot little hands today. I looooove them. Thanks Benae and to fairyprincess! :)
  18. monkeykelci Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I've been lurking around a lot lately and I just wanted to say that these dresses look wonderful.
    I wasn't aware of the time and dedication people put into replicas.. It's intense..

I now regret making fun of my friends when they dressed up to see Ep3..
    =]

I will continue to lurk in awe!
    :D =D=
  19. afaeryschild Jedi Master

star 1
    My ribbons arrived today and they are lovely!
    Thanks so much Benae!! @};-@};-
  20. Sotis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, girls! A friend of mine decided to make this dress, too. She asks me a lot of questions and for some answers I need your help!
    Does anyone remember the fabric for the corset with crinkles and squares? If my memory serves me right, it was Kay_dee, who had found it somewhere.
    My friend asks me to show her a pic of this fabric. I looked through this thread, but failed to find it.

21. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think anyone ever found the real fabric with the squares included. It looked like a crinkled habotai silk when I saw it at the exhibit. The crushed habotai at Thai silks will work, but really doesn't look exactly the same. I am going to attempt to make the crinkled doubleweave Habotai from Thai Silks work, but I think it will require a lot of tacking down to keep the crinkles from puffing out so I don't actually know it will work.
  22. Sotis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh... may be I've seen things... or just confused something. :confused:
    Anyway, thanks for the answer, Kay_dee! Now, I can tell my friend with a clear conscience that the fabric isn't found.
  23. fairyprincess Jedi Youngling

star 1
    If you look at the photos in DAG you will see that the fabric 'squares' are fabric cut outs. Look closely and you can see the stitchs holding the fabric down. There is a technical term but I don't remember what it is called.
  24. Sotis Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think that's already been discussed! On the 1st page of this tread. :)
    These squares are woven into the fabric.
    Thanks anyway!
  25. kay_dee Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, the squares were something we really took a good look at the costume exhibit. Not that we could tear the corset apart lol... but Padawan's Guide and I really looked and those squares and they really seemed to be woven into the fabric that way. We could not find any visible stitches. Trust me on that. Those squares were solidly in there as if part of the way the fabric was woven.
Moderators: Briannakin