main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Polly_Padme

Polly_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008
    Good Day,girls!
    I'am in planing to make this costume,too.Anybody knows,where I can get sequins myself?What fabric make them?

2. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    We have made a group command. May be some of us have sequins in extra !

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Polly, start looking a page back at a time in this thread. Someone posted a link to an online sequin store that now carries the correct picnic sequins. I'm sure you'll come across it if you take some time :)

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Mirax, I don't think I said it in here but your finished gown is just gorgeous! Congrats on completing it. :)

I'm hoping to get to my skirt and blouse redo after Dragon*Con. I have everything stored up and ready to go (thanks Mirax & Benae!) so it should just be a matter of finding time.

5. Polly_Padme

Polly_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008

Kay_Dee,all OK!) I'am found it but...I think about sequins,which
    MiraxTHorn ordered some times ago..Only have a question:
    [hr]MiraxTHorn,where I can get your recommended sequins?

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002

7. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Since there are some new Picnic Girls about, just a brief FYI regarding sequins. I still have TONS from the original order - I think at least 4 kilos. I'm selling them in lots of 100 grams for $10 US plus shipping and Paypal. That's enough to make at least three picnic gowns.

Feel free to PM me at any time if you would like some. I will ship outside the US.

Regards,
    M.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I spoke with the rep from Windlass Studios/Museum Replicas at Dragon*Con this past weekend and he told me the picnic dress is slated as one of their future Padme offerings. *sigh*
    He called it the 'yellow meadow picnic dress with embroidery'. He also said that LFL is super specific in their contract about what they can and can't do or use - fabric wise.

Seeing their other Padme costumes up close, I have to say they aren't bad. Some of the colors seemed a bit off, some fabrics were a bit iffy - but all in all they looked nice. But, now I know how the packing dress ladies feel. I don't want them to make the picnic dress! *stamps feet* :p

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    You said it Obi-Dawn. When he said they are making the picnic gown I literally angrily jumped up and down and exclaimed "NO!" OK, I over reacted because it was Monday and I was dead tired. But that was my honest feeling unedited due to lack of sleep. He then said something like "Oh, we are not here to take away business from other people"... I didn't say a word. I wanted to explain that's not at all why I was upset but there was really no point. These costumes are going to be made and that's just a fact we all have to get used to.

I'm just upset because it takes away from the unique artistry of each of our fan made creations when you can now get these things mass produced. Oh well.

He did say that they will be fine tuning the prototypes we saw on display. Essentially, they made those based on the first round of photos and research they did after visiting the archives at the Ranch. They were able to go back to the Ranch and compare their garments side by side to the real things (supposedly) and now know that they have to adjust colors of fabric, change the way the tucks are done on the Jedi robes, etc. So he asked us to please not post on the boards that their costumes are 'crappy' because they are still works in progress. Heck, if only we had the opportunity to download any hi res image we wanted from the LFL archives, go and put our costumes next to the real deal... our own costumes would be totally perfect. It sounds like these MR costumes really have a shot at being the closest thing anyone will be able to get to the real costumes, if they have the budget and time to nail their prototypes.

10. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    The world may see the mass produced costumes here and there, but WE will know the difference and from what I've seen, your costumes and several of the other ladies costumes here, are as good or better than the originals. Your costume making community here knows the difference and still applauds your work far exceeding the Vendor quality costumes.

I am on my first attempt at this Padme costume and I never would have attempted it if it weren't for the loads of research and sharing you ladies have done here. I give you a standing ovation for that.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Annya. :)

Like kay_dee put it (I think in the packing dress thread), it's just a "personal sadness" thinking of this particular dress being mass produced. I certainly won't begrudge anyone from purchasing and wearing it. And I do hope their version is beautiful because the dress deserves no less. Geez, it sounds like I'm talking about a person or something! My love for this dress is anthropomorphic all of a sudden. :p

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing your progress on your version. Have you gotten very far?

12. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Believe it or not, I have had everything cut out for this costume in two versions, the movie version and a green version because I found some beautiful material that would also complement this design, for about 2 years now. I just have been tied down in the Emperial sewing room doing uniforms for the TB, RG, and IS that I haven't had time to work on things for myself. I pulled it out the other day and started some peliminary work,b ut had to put it away again to complete the 19 costumes I am already committed to for commission. As soon as I finish this round of soldiers, I will once again dive into this one. I'll post some pixs as soon as I get a chance. Again thank you for the encouragement to get back on this.

13. JadeBlue

JadeBlue Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2008
    Here is my costume. I'm very proud of it because its eco-friendly. I used recycled curtains for the fabric, an old gold shirt for the corset, and dyed the whole thing with turmeric. I only had to buy the ribbon, embroidery floss, sequins and boneing. I was able to find the cape material at the thrift store. I used simplicity 3809 for the pattern and sort of winged the corset.

[image=http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/JadeBlue22/100_1480.jpg]]

[image=http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/JadeBlue22/100_1485.jpg]]

[image=http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/JadeBlue22/Photo5.jpg]]

[image=http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/JadeBlue22/Photo8.jpg]]

I'll try and upload some better photo's after halloween. Thanks so much to everyone who ever posted on this thread you guys are awesome.

14. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Wow, turmeric...how clever! I would never have thought of that!

15. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006
    I had forgotten to post photos of my finished costume. I have a list of alterations and upgrades that I need to complete before I am completely happy with it. As it is currently, there are many flaws.

In any case here are a few photos:
    On the dressform: http://www.cleopatramwi.com/images/RLsubmittion2.jpg

At a Rebel Legion event: http://www.cleopatramwi.com/images/Firstpitch2.jpg

Sadly I probably won't have my write-up posted for some time since my website is all glitchy after switching computers.

Cheers

16. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    JadeBlue, I love your Version! Very Green(the way it was made, not the colour. lol)

Cleopatramwi, those are awesome pics! Very nice :D

Both version are awesome! Makes me want to try my hand at it...oh well

MC

17. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Excellent use of "green" materials. I have found most of my really cool materials have been "second life" materials and you did an incredible job.

18. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Nice job, both of you!

Cleopatramwi - You look lovely! When you have a chance, I'd love to know what you dyed your cape with.

Regards,
    M.

19. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006
    Thank you. Your work was a huge inspiration! Your latest version of the costume is absolutely stunning!

I dyed the cape first with a mixture of Golden Yellow and Tan RIT dyes. The fabric took very little dye and the color was too light to match my gown. I ended up having to spot dye the roses with a paintbrush and heavy solution of pink dyes since they took far more dye than the netting. I then mixed a couple of fabric paint colors together and sprayed the back side of the netting using a pump spray bottle. This seemed to work pretty well, though I had to be careful for blotching.

20. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Lovely work.
    What was the top layer of material you used in your skirt?

21. Cleopatramwi

Nov 30, 2006

Thank you!

The top layer of the skirt is crinkle silk chiffon. Chinese crinkle silk chiffon from The Silk Connection to be specific.

22. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    That's very kind. Thank you!

I had the same problem with the roses, but never thought to over-dye them back pink. Thanks for the ideas! I've got to make a new cape one of these days, though I'm not in any real hurry since the corset won't fit again for a long bit. Maybe next summer. ;) I need to get serious about an Ep. III costume.

Regards,
    M.

23. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi I'm making a Padme picnic gown dress.

Here are my ideas

A few weeks ago i bought this dress off the sale rack and when i tried it on i thought it would make a good base.
    It doesn't have sleeves so i thought of making detachable sleeves. I have an old corset top i never wear and i am going to cover it with material i have decorated. I couldn't find the right colour for the 'shawl' so i am sewing two types of material together.
    i found some yellow ballet flats at a op shop.

how do you make the headdress? i think i have seen the yellow 'hair nets' before but i can't find any. Is it possible to croquet them?

24. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    If you didn't want to make them, go to Lady McSnood! Her quality and handwork are very good. I think a lot of us have bought ours from her.

The colour is gold/gold in the bun covers. Gold thread with gold matalic thread!

The band is ribbon (mentioned earlier in this thread) you can buy from the Ribbonarie and all you need to do is embroider the flowers on!

25. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    If you crochet, the bun snoods are pretty easy. I did mine with Lion Brand gold lame metallic yarn which I found at Joann's. There are 75 yards on a skein and it makes two complete sets of the bun snoods. I actually have been making a number of them up just for something to do when I am at a waiting room or away from home or at night when I am just watching television just to keep my hands busy. I think there is even a pattern in this thread with a simplified bun snood that can be adjusted to accomodate this costume.