Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. darthzeppo Jedi Master

star 3
  2. Annya_Latoure2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Got the little butterfly sequins and wow they are so cute. Can't wait to dive full steam into this one after I finish my commissioned works.
  3. Bennuko Jedi Padawan

After looking at this costume for a LOOONG time wanting to make it, I've finally decided to begin!
    I found an online fabric store that has sheer fabric embroidered with roses which isn't listed in this costume's 'Shawl Fabric Suggestions' list.

http://www.bestuwant.com/
    (Scarf-> Mesh-> Embroidery)

I've just purchased 2 in ívory', and they should be arriving sometime over the next week or two :)
  4. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi Bennuko!
    Welcome to Picnic Madness! Good luck with your version.

Regarding the scarves - the embroidery looks right on, but with the shape of the scarf, you're going to have strange seam lines on the cape. I haven't looked at the other sources in a while, but if you can find actual yardage, you'll probably be happier with the finished product. Just my two cents. :)

Regards,
    M.
  5. Bennuko Jedi Padawan

I've been thinking about how to get around the 'seamline' issue, and my plans at this stage are to very carefully cut out and remove the embroidery, and transfer it to a larger shawl-shaped piece of fabric.
    I'm not too worried if the vines don't transfer well, I'll embroider those in myself in need be :)
  6. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Ahh, gotcha. That will be a lot of work, but should work nicely! May I suggest that FrayCheck is very useful when you cut out the flowers? I soaked mine with it before sewing them to the corset and headband and it made them far less likely to unravel.

Regards,
    M.
  7. Bennuko Jedi Padawan

Thanks for the advice!
    I've prevented fraying with clear nail varnish in the past, but should probably use something a bit more suited to the purpose for this costume :p
  8. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Was wondering if anyone had 'left over' butterfly sequins that they'd be willing to sell to me. I have decided to remake my gown and would like to get stuck into it. Thanks.
  9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
  10. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Thank you Dawn, and thank you Guriwannabe. I have exactly what I need in my hot little hands now!! [face_love]
  11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I'm so glad you were able to get some. [:D]
  12. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Some?!?! Egad! I think I have enough to make 20 Picnic Gowns! :eek: But I was at Spotlight (Fabric and craft store) tonight, got some things at 20% off in their sale, so am pleased!
  13. SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Padawan

Hello, girls!
    I read in this theme that some consider that the embroidery on costume is made by embroidery industrial machine Cornelly. Yes, it so. But there are also other industrial machines which embroider, as Cornelly. It's Consew 104 series. In one of machines of this series is Chain stitch,Moss/Drop stitch, Attaching Tape, Braiding stitch (like in Loyalist Committe, Peacock and other costumes with that technic) and Ray stitch.This are all in one machine!They cost much (about 2,600 dollars), but it is worthy of it! These machines are hand use,as it is necessary to twirl a fabric on the drawn drawing. It is not so convenient, but result simply delightful!
    I had to observe, how works these machines. I will tell fairly - simply amazingly quickly and easily! I like to embroider by hand but when I have seen what that machines do - simply was surprised to a limit.

P.S. Forgive that I don't have avatar.I can't choose what more good for me:):)
  14. cressie Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello SenatorPadmeSelina!
    I've also noticed the need for a chainstich machine for Padme costumes (this costume and the packing gown both require the stitch).
    Do NOT buy the plastic toy chainstitch machine at wallmart- the stitch pulls out just by touching it.
    After a very long search, even considering some old hand crank sewing machine toys that create the chainstitch (but not as pretty), the cheapest alternative is a serger or overlock machine with the chainstitch looper. However, the problem with sergers is that they usually have a small arm which makes it impossible to do freehand embroidery. The only serger I found with a large arm is the Janome 900CP. I've heard from the ladies at Pattern Review that the old Singer Touch and Sew Model 600 makes a chainstitch with a large enough arm to do free-hand, but you need the chain stitch accessory box. I haven't seen the finished work so i'm still searching for something in my budget.

An odd place where I found a chainstitch machine- the local farmer's co-op. It is a handheld sewing machine used to sew up bags of feed.
    Glad to see someone else considering a chainstitch machine!
    -Cress
  15. SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Padawan

It's very pleasant to get acquainted, Cressie!Nice to speak with you!:)

I plan to save up money and buy an industrial embroidery machine...If only I it allow myself)
    I like to embroider, therefore when girl ordered dress with chainstitch, I did it manually.But, as the embroidery on original dress is made with the help an embroidery industrial machine, it would be desirable to make it the same as original.But, it is only my opinion))
  16. Kasey8473 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm done, I'm done, I'm done! :D Pictures very soon. I can't express just how glad I am that I've finally finished this. I'd not realized what an undertaking it was when I first started it, although I suppose I should have....
  17. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    So in Darths & Droids webcomic they have reached the picnic scene. I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the commentaries, who can think it's hard to watch the scene 50 time? And who hasn't done that?
  18. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Have started this one, spent the last two weeks researching again. But instead of sewing the vines onto the skirt, I plan to dot paint it, have done a test section and it turned out quite well, and made it easy to put the sequins on. So next week, I plan to start slowly painting the fabric and putting the butterfly sequins on. I was very surprised how soft the fabric (silk georgette) was as it was folded up and I was sure I didn't have enough (bought it two years ago and forgot how much was there) but was stunned to find over 5.5 metres of silk! And its VERY wide, so I should have more than enough and 4.5 metres of silk lining as well. Time to get stuck into this one now....and make my daughters Leia Ewok Village dress too. ;)
  19. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Adalia - Painting the vines sounds like a really creative solution! I don't remember anyone trying that before. Just a thought - have you tried any of the Puffy type craft paints to add a little texture?

Kasey - I bet I'm not the only one who is anxious to see your completed costume! Where are those promised photos? ;)

Regards,
    M.
  20. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Woohoo! On a whim, I pulled out my corset today to see if it would fit. (I've got a 4 month old.) It's still snug and all the hooks won't close, but it won't be long! This is a nice little encouragement to keep at the working out! :)

Regards,
    M.
  21. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Thats great Mirax!, I gave up trying to be thin years ago....at 43 I am what I am. ;) :p

I did the first panel of painting tonight, and I have to say, I am VERY pleased with the result! I can paint and have the patience for it, so only another 4.5 metres to go!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/fabric002.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/fabric001.jpg]

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That is great Mirax. :)

Adalia, that looks so pretty!
  23. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Very pretty, Adalia!!

Regards,
    M.
  24. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Thanks guys! I was using a 'pattern' that I drew up myself, and then covered with thick clear tape and pinned to a large piece of polystyrene foam, but it just got confusing, so now I am free-handing it, quite literally making it up as I go along....and its easier and much faster! I hope to have enough done to cut out the skirt and blouse by the weekend....fingers crossed!

Today I toured my daughters High School (she starts next year) and was stunned to find they have a 'Fashion, Design and making' section. I watched as young ladies were making their own graduation gowns for the end of year (year 12's) but some of the designs were BRILLIANT! Sadly my daughter said 'Naw, that's your thing mum' so I had to be dragged out of the class. She wont even take the courses and swap with me during class times! LOL!! But I was very pleased to see the art of sewing is not dead in many young people. ;) :p
  25. Annya_Latoure2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah my daughter had no interest either. I wish she did.
Moderators: Commander-DWH