main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

1. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Take heart, ladies! I was a daughter who wanted nothing to do with sewing, though my mom did teach me the basics. When TPM came out, I started sewing and haven't stopped. You never know what might spark your daughters' interest one day!

Regards,
    M.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Have to be honest, I didnt start sewing till TPM either! I had my daughter, she was only a toddler, but mum didn't sew and neither did I. My Great Aunt was a seamstress, and when she found out she was dying, she bought me a sewing machine, an overlocker and a sewing cabinet. I was grateful, but never dreamed they'd get used, let alone the work out they get now days! I actually started sewing about 1 month after she died, and you know what? It all made sense, before that I would look at a pattern and be confused, since then, nothing really confuses me!!

Ok, I have done nearly 4 metres of the fabric in paint and sequins, and it's taking A LOT longer than I expected, but still looking fabulous! I did cut out some corset pieces this afternoon, so, slowly getting there.

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Woot! Fabric painting DONE!! But got word today that a charity event for the Cancer Council is coming up in two weeks and my daughters Leia Ewok costume is in a million pieces!! Putting this one aside for a bit!

4. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    due to needing large amounts of time to do things, I've decided to take on this gown. I'm getting excited about it. Does anyone have extra sequins and/or head ribbon? It's easier to reach me at padme8604 at aol.com

Thanks so much in advance,
    Laura

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  6. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    thanks, pm got

7. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    I have extras sequins if somebody need them.....

8. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    I've been working slowly on my dress for a while now. I gotta get the fire going though if I wanna wear this to CV! :)

9. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    hmmm nobody's been around since I posted last. Oh well. I've made some significant progress on my costume so I'm really excited/pleased!

10. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Mer - Post some pics of your progress!

(And anyone else who's working on this!)

Regards,
    M.

11. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    hmm... progress? still plugging away.

[image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/IMG_3001.jpg] [image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/013010a.jpg]

I'm just starting on the second panel (sans beading on the first).
    Maybe I'll be done before 2012? [face_whistling]

12. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    Here's what I've got so far. The snoods, headband, hair-tie, and skirt are completely done. The blouse only needs the straps with flowers on them. And I've just started working on the corset. I haven't done anything for the shawl yet. But this is my first time ever sewing clothing, so I'm really happy with the results! [image=http://di-mer.com/PicnicDress/pd1.jpg][image=http://di-mer.com/PicnicDress/pd2.jpg]

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think it's a very good first attempt at sewing clothes!

My first attempt at this gown was also my first try to make a sewing project all by myself, it surely can get you hooked.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oooo, new dresses! afaeryschild, it's looking so lovely. Keep going!
    MerR2D2, welcome to the picnic club. You're doing great! :)

15. Padme18

Padme18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2005
    I have a semi finished costume but I still need the shawl. Any suggestions on fabric? I want to re-vamp the costume so I can wear it to CV.

16. victorian-tea-rose

victorian-tea-rose Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2008
    Mer2D2, ou did an awesome job making your picnic dress! Beautiful! Hey, if you're interested, I have some curtains that are similar to the shawl fabric that I'm listing on Ebay today. It's 55" x 84" embroidered pane. It's the lace/mesh fabric with roses embroidered on it. It's not exactly like the real shawl, but it very close and the fabric is getting harder to find.

Just thought you might be interested since you posted that you hadn't done the shawl yet. Good luck in your search! ;o)

Ebay auction link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150417058247&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
    Ebay Item Number - 150417058247

17. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    I started working on the corset embroidery this week. I printed out a pic of Kaydee's corset and tried to hand draw the embroidery onto the corset and now I'm starting to embroider over it. This part is going to take forever!!! =-P

18. Padme18

Padme18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2005
    Oh my god! I've been looking for those curtains for years. I saw them at Ross and loved them, but since I couldn't think of a thing to do with them I didn't buy them. When I got home I remembered the shawl. I've been trying to find something similar ever since to no avail.

19. twinklebat

twinklebat Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2010
    Hello ladies! I just joined the board because of this costume! So first off forgive me if I mess up posting anything since I'm figuring out how to use the forums. I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life and a costumer for about ten years but for some reason haven't made a Star Wars costume yet. And it looks like my first one won't even be for me but for a customer(I occasionally take commissions). Though I am planning on starting Leia costumes for myself next year. Anyways I'm really curious about roughly how long it takes to make Padme's picnic dress. I've got a limited time frame I'm working with so I'm trying to figure out how many accurate details I have time to get in for her costume. I think I'll order a shower curtain that has been posted in the thread which should save me some time on the shawl and roses for the corset. But I really at least want to be able to do the rest of the embroidery for the corset and the sequins for the skirt. I think for the outer layer of the skirt I might just try and find something similar with vines on it to save time. I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone can give me, thanks!

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome twinklebat!
    It's hard to gauge a timeline for this particular costume because of all the handwork it takes. It really depends on your own speed at embroidering and placing the sequins. If you don't do the vining yourself that will shave off a good chunk of time, but I would give yourself plenty of leeway for this one. The fastest I ever made one was within a 3 to 4 week period, and that was with short cuts, but included machine vining the skirt and chemise, hand making and placing all the sequins (didn't have the correct sequins back then so had to make my own) and hand embroidering the corset. Again, that was going at my speed and with shortcuts - not doing as much vining/sequins as on the original, etc. However, I worked off and on over a year on another version, so it's a potential time sucker if you let it be. ;)

Good luck and please post pictures so we can all see! :)

21. Marin_Lemche

Marin_Lemche Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2004
    Hey ladies,

I made the Picnic dress years ago, as a rather inexperienced costumer. Now 3 years into my college career with a theatre design minor, I'm ready to re-tackle the gown, that being said I was wondering if any of you had anymore of the sequins for the skirt/top that you would be willing to part with? I have some but not enough to cover the bulk that my plus-sized self requires. Any help is great, this is going to be my summer project so no rush necessary.

22. twinklebat

twinklebat Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2010
    Now that the semester is almost over I'm starting to think about Padme more. And thanks for the info about timing Obi-Dawn! I am cutting some corners so I'm hoping I'll be on track time wise. I let my customer know that if she wanted this for next year then I could do a more time intensive more accurate version, but since she wants it for Dragon*Con this year I'll mostly just have to do the best I can with materials I can find that are similar. Though I do plan to spend some quality time with embroidery and sequins. So far I've just been in the purchasing stage of the process and I'm really pleased with the fabric I found for the shawl. Even though I'll need to dye it I think I would have been hard pressed to find anything better.

Here it is draped on my dressform, http://twinklebat.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/shawlfabric1.jpg

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    twinklebat, the shawl fabric looks lovely. It's got the roses clustered in three. :)
    I would think that you'd have plenty of time between now and D*C to finish. Looking forward to seeing more!

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I just happened to get around a meter left of a gold stretch satin that I'm using for another project, I'm tempted to make something picnic inspired of it. It wouldn't be suitable for a real corset, but I might make a tank top with a simplified picnic embroidery or something.

25. nia_naberrie

nia_naberrie Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2010
    hi !! I have allways want to make this dress, but here in Mexico (were I´m from) I can´t find the fabric for the shawl/cape, so I just drop the project (it keept in pre-production, calculating cost, fabric, time, etc) but some months ago I went shooping to the fabric store (Parisina) and when I was passing between the lace section I spot some lace that is trimed like roses (its in red, white and blue colors) so I bought 1m..

I just bougth it in a random mode and keep it safe in my sacret box of costumes materials XD but yesterday I take it out and in a flash the idea of the picnic gown got in my head, so I cut three roses and sew it together..

here is the result:
    [image=http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/12/17/84/36/roses_10.jpg]

and I was just thinking in making my picnic gown with this lace, what would mean, make it all by hand. the making of this gown will require hand embroidering, dying, sewing, etc etc... so... what do you all think ?? I get the chalenge or not ??

or even, if anyone of here can get me the fabric and send it to Mexico, I can paid for that... please help, I love this costume and I dont know if try doing it by hand or not..