main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

1. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Progress. Hooray! The back panels are now (mostly) done and I'm starting up on the front one.

[image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/IMG_3316.jpg] [image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/IMG_3318.jpg]

Flowers still aren't filled in and all the blue marking pen isn't totally off.

2. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    I just entered the costume contest for CV. That will give me the motivation to get my costume finished! Anybody else going to CV? Maybe we could do a group photo!

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm going to CV, but not in picnic garb, mine is so old and so bad (it really was my first costume project) so I'm not going to use it until I sit down and totally redo most of it.

I have some scraps of goldcoloured fabric that I'm thinking about picnicfy though, and it would be great to meet more picnic enthusiasts.

4. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I definitely want to finish mine for CV and a couple of other little beauties. The Clone Wars cartoon has given me some food for thought and some project ideas.

5. SenatorPadmeSelina

SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2008
    Theribboniere.com have disappeared!
    Their site on sale, and I'am so need two centimetres of an original olive ribbon which used for headband.
    I would like to make with this sample of ribbon headband about fifty or one hundred metres of it with help from manufacturer.
    Somebody can help? And share with me 2 cm?

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    The Ribbonerie is still around, they have a new web site:
    http://ribbonerie.com/

They were smart, they included the green Padme ribbon on the web site since you gals call them to order it ;)

Check the "Collections" section, Specialty Ribbon, page 4 at the bottom. "4-hd-10_col_3"

Oh, I'll be at CV too. But I have been so unorganized, I fail each year to redo my picnic dress so now I'm missing out on the best opportunity (a star wars con) to wear any new outfits. Like Obi-Anne, my original is so outdated I never wear it anymore. I have all the correct stuff to make an accurate one, but keep putting it off because it scares me to redo it for some reason!

7. dreamspirals

dreamspirals Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2003
    Hello. :) I hope it's ok to come in as a total newbie like this. I'm new to both costuming and sewing in general. I made this costume for my daughter for Phoenix Comicon (first costume I ever made) and I'm making it for myself for CV. I only started it this week and I'm making my sister a Mara Jade costume too. I know I'm completely nuts trying to do this on such short notice with my limited sewing skills but this thread has been amazingly helpful! I would post a picture of my daughter in costume but I'm still not sure how to do that here.

Anyway, very nice to meet you and thank you for all the wonderful tips!

Edit: My lovely sister who's been here forever showed me how to add the picture.

[image=http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/dreamspirals78/Phoenix%20Comicon%202010/comicon10001.jpg]

8. afaeryschild

Apr 2, 2002
    So cute! It looks great on her. :)

9. SenatorPadmeSelina

SenatorPadmeSelina Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2008
    Kay_Dee, -You are my saviour![face_peace]
    Oh, thanks big for the information!
    You'll not believe, but I could not find their new site and still think,that they are closed.
    I was so upset, but you have returned to me my hope.
    Thanks! ;)

10. MerR2D2

MerR2D2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2006
    Finally finished my costume today! And just in time cuz I'm heading out to FL on Sat! I'm so excited for the costume contest. Pics to follow soon... :)

11. queen_amidala_i

queen_amidala_i Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2010
    Got home from CV not to long ago. I made the Lake Gown for my 15-year old daughter and she absolutely loved wearing it. Now on to the next project. We're thinking about the Picnic Dress. I was wondering if anyone can help me locate the sequins for the skirt.

Thanks,
    Bryn

12. afaeryschild

Apr 2, 2002
    Yay! I've finished embroidering the vine part of the final skirt piece.
    [image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/skirtcollage-1.jpg]
    When I placed it on my mannequin I freaked out as part of the hem was inches off the floor!
    I hadn't realized I'd adjusted her for another project/heel height. Cause me quite the scare.
    The hem is fine, in fact I'll probably be cutting off a bit of the embroidery due to bias stretch.

Now that I'm breathing again, I'm working on the yellow flowers. I figure I have about 50 per panel.
    As far as I can tell the Toho glass seed beads I got are the right color/sheen.
    [image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/090610flowerspost.jpg]

I tried a georgette for a more modest underskirt, but it pouffed out the skirt oddly as you can see in the photos above.
    The "gathers" (?) of the skirt at the hem didn't fall in and just stayed pouffed out out due the weight of the underskirt.
    Instead I'm going for another layer of the light and sheer chiffon, once I get up the nerve to spray it.
    [image=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/afaeryschild/flowers/1-starwarsfloat096-1.jpg]
    (Kelsey's image)
    Tests with the Simply Spray to produce this look have been good, but I'm still nervous.
    Hopefully will turn out ok. [face_worried]

13. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Very nice. Good to see this one is still so popular and new work is fabulous.

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    afaeryschild, it's gorgeous!

15. nia_naberrie

nia_naberrie Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2010
    well... after thinking about it for months, I finally decided to start my Picnic Gown *sheers and trows confetti !!!*

so, for now, I have the tools to start it: iron boning, embroidery threat, my corset fabric and underskirt fabric

now I´m looking for my shawl fabric, but here in mexico I cant find some that resembles it... anyone can help me with that ?? anyone of you have some left over and been kind enough to sell me or know where I can buy it ?? please *w* (puppy eyes)

I dont know when I will debut it.. maybe in Celebration VI ??? time will say... but please, I really need help with the shawl fabric, please help me to find it

16. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Just to let everyone know, I do still have some sequins, not a huge amount, but enough for 4-5 more people. Send me a message if you're interested. $15 plus shipping for 100 grams. That's enough to do 2-3 dresses. I'll try to post here when the time comes that I'm completely out.

Regards,
    M.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The opening post of this thread was crazy huge and full of amazing information. All the coding isn't as pretty and I know there's some character errors, but I've tried to restore it back as it's still one of the best resources for this dress out there.

afaeryschild likes this.
  18. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Hello!

After 10 years, 7 of them collecting parts for this costume, I am ready to start on my Meadow Gown journey. I'm not ready to start on any big parts yet since I need to buy lots and lots of silk, but I thought I'd start working on my corset pattern. I had made a corset pattern before for a victorian costume, and it didn't fit quite the way it was supposed to, but I think it could probably be adapted easily enough for this corset, just by re-arranging the seam lines and the top and hem shape (and no lacing panel in the back of course). Here's pics I took when building the Victorian. Does anyone have an opinion on if this will work as a good silhouette for the Meadow Corset?

[​IMG]

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd say it looks good! I really know absolutely nothing about this dress, truthfully. But if you removed the front seam and fixed the hem shapes like you said, I'd say it would work fine!

20. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I agree! The front shape looks great! I can't wait to see the rest of it coming along! :D

I still have my sequins from 2006. Wish I just had the budget to take on this dress. :p

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I have the sequins and the ribbons, one day I'm going to get the rest. I still have my first version of the skirt and blouse, so I think it would still work if I remade the corset and wore it with my old versions until I got the silk for a new skirt and blouse.

22. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    I have to put boning in this to be sure of the shape, but I think it's mostly good. I just have to tweak the hem and seam placements a bit for it to be perfect:

[​IMG]

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Looks good!

24. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    I JUST noticed something (and forgive if it was already mentioned somewhere) In one of the exhibit pictures of the back of the corset, I do believe the hook and eyes alternate which side they're on. It makes sense, I did a little googling and found they did that in period garments :D

http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/picnic12.jpg

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking good, Verdaera!