main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    In my opinion, since I've done both, one is no harder to make than another. The 'bodice' type of corsets usually call for less sturdy materials and nylon boning. A real corset that is designed to hold you up without a bra is usually made of tightly woven thick fabric (like coutile) and uses real spring steel or spiral steel bones that will hold their shape. The corsets can tend to be tighter fitting by design, but that's how Padme's corset was. Using sturdy fabric will help insure that when you make your coreset tight, it won't split at the seams!

2. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Thanks Kay Dee. I think I'm just gonna have to hold off on this one for a while. I don't think I'm ready to make a corset yet.

3. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    A new cape fabric discovery today! It seems like the 3-flowered organza for the cape is getting harder and harder to find. Wal-Mart is out of it and Target only carries it in small table topper pieces. But today I found it at Lowe?s in the curtain isle. I was SHOCKED to see it there. However, it's 4 flowered organza but it seems to be the right color (might need to tint it a bit darker with RIT and Dye Resist on the roses, but that?s not hard). It's not completely exact, but it's pretty close especially if you don't want to embroider the cape. Just FYI.

Gosh, seems like I can?t stray from the picnic dress long enough to complete my packing gown! :)
    =Cressie

4. Aryzah

Aryzah Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2005
    Long-time lurker finally posting something :)

My daughter wanted me to make her a Padme picnic dress for Halloween this year. Fortunately, she did not want a completely screen acurate one. So, we made an "impressionistic" picnic dress.
    Thanks for all the helpful advice we received by reading this thread and Padawanguide's site.
    Here it is:

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/wahootl/Costumes/IMG_3934.jpg]

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Very nice dress, and what a cool fabric for the skirt!

6. Lady_Skywalker13

Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    That turned out so pretty. And I agree with Obi Anne about the skirt!

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Pretty! There is no question she is Padme!

8. Aryzah

Aryzah Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2005
    Thank you all for your comments. The funny thing is that even though it's "impressionistic" we've already thought of ways to improve the costume. For example, my daughter wants to crochet her own hair bun covers. Since we were short on time, we bought some cheap Christmas ornaments that had crocheted gold netting over them, broke out the plastic inside, and stuffed them with hair from a cheap wig :D

9. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Check out this Blog: http://blogs.starwars.com/itsatrap/2
    She has been selected to wear a screen used costume in the Rose Parade. And Picnic is one of the costumes she tried on http://www.badfeelingaboutthis.com/photos/kelseys_padme_fitting/

Also see George Lucas Announced as Rose Parade Grand Marshal: http://www.starwars.com/community/news/family/news20060919.html

10. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    That's just.....not fair:p .
    Glad she made pictures of the fitting though, looks like the Black Coruscant
    dress has some insert pieces(also in the back) and not just the fluffy fabric.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I saw her pictures and I thought they were great, I like seeing the costumes from a little more unusual angles. I'm surprised that they allowed her to take photos though, but I wont complain. :D She's one lucky fangirl.

12. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    She is very lucky, it makes me re work on this costume for C4 !

13. isabeaunavarre

isabeaunavarre Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2006
    I admire Sotis for doing the embroidery on her skirt by hand. I am just as crazy---I am doing my embroidery by hand as well. I am new to this thread and I am so happy to find kindred spirits among you. It is so inspiring!

14. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Isabeaunavarre, I wish you patience, patience and once again patience! I'm sure your embroidery will turn out lovely! Please, show us some pics of your work!

I'm so happy that I'm not alone now!:cool:
    Hm.. and about my progress... not so much, I guess. Don't have enough time. I'm done with about one sixth of the skirt. A good news is that I'm still not tired of it! Moreover, this embroidering thing makes me more relaxed.:)

15. isabeaunavarre

Nov 19, 2006
    Sotis,

Yes, doing the embroidery is soothing for me too. My husband thinks I am nuts and that it will probably take me a whole year to finish my dress (he could be right--but I don't care).
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will put some images up of my skirt panels (I am still working on my first) and corset as soon as I can figure out how to do it.:)

16. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I think that is a fabulous version. I actually like that it is not nearly as "fussy" as the movie one but still gives a similar overall look. Very good work indeed. I am doing a replica for C4 and a "personal version" of it as well. That was a really nice take on it. Mine will be in shades of summer greens.

17. Lady_Skywalker13

Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    Oh I bet it would beautiful in greens! I would love to see a picture of that when it's finished!

18. isabeaunavarre

Nov 19, 2006
    MMM---I love green! Yes, please post a pic when it is done.

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Amazing. :eek:
    I only wish there were some shots of her putting the dress on so we could get a peek at the different parts of it. I sorta dig it without the arm ribbons.

My first thought was that I hope she does not wear the picnic dress at the parade because I remember it rained throughout it this year. Does anyone know where she'll be in the parade? On a float, I presume? Let's hope it provides shelter in case it decides to rain again.

Marvelous shots of the packing dress and the black post senate kimono. Awesome! Thanks for linking us to it Mary Alice!

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Dawn, I spoke to Kelsey in person the day after she tried on the costumes. Yes, she is wearing the picnic dress on a float. I really hope Lucasfilm took into account what they might do if it rains. I'd also hate for their cosutmes from the archives (more than just the picnic dress will be worn) to be ruined just for a parade! I'm pretty sure Kelsey mentioned the idea was to have 3 queens on the float (more than one padme I guess), but one of the people selected to be a queen may not fit the Padme costumes. So, perhaps a female Jedi like Luminara could be subsituted. It will be interesting to see what costumes are used come New Years day!

21. Aryzah

Aryzah Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2005
    Thank you. A picnic dress in shades of greens sounds beautiful.

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I think I remember someone who made the picnic dress in blue in one of the earlier versions of this thread and it was beautiful.

And I saw that Kelsey is going to wear the picnic gown in the parade!

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Gosh, I can't help but be nervous knowing this dress will be worn outside for an extended period of time. What if it rains? What if a seagull flies overhead and...you know? :oops: :p I suppose the chances of that are minimal and that rain would be the biggest thing threatening the costumes. Well, I'll be tuned in on New Year's Day to see this float filled with precious cargo...the network coverage better show it for more than a few seconds!

24. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    It's too bad they're not doing a replica for the parade. It is lovely to see the actual movie dress in a parade but far wiser to preserve the Movie piece and put a team togethter to knock one out for the parade. I know that is a huge commitment, but this stuff is not only movie memorabilia, but a piece of our popular cultural history that should be preseved like "Dorothy's Ruby slippers and Scarlett Ohara's green and white picnic gown. But we can pray for perfect weather on New Years in Pasadena, CA.

25. isabeaunavarre

Nov 19, 2006
    Film costume departments usually have more than one copy of a costume for a film. Do you think they might have another picnic dress archived?