main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Fighter Pilot costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I haven't seen a thread started on this one yet, so........

I am going to make one of these for Quincy in the next couple months. I just won a Don Post helmet on ebay.
    There are several still pictures around from the filming of the scene, but as I remember, these were not too detailed. There is a small picture in the visual dictionary.
    Other than a few details like the belt ornament, Padme's uniform is very similar to Captain Typho's (same page but much bigger).
    There are some nice close-ups in the movie.

The shin-guard pieces look very similar to the shin-guard pieces on the white battle costume.

I will start doing some pattern drawings and fabric searches for this soon. I would like to use leather where possible.

I think Quincy will probably like to wear this since she would be able to move around quite well and hopefully the helmet will be fairly comfortable.

I will update my progress, or feel free to add yours.

S_S edit: just unlocking :)

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I bet Quincy will look just as adorable in this as she does in everything else you've made her. I envy her her costume collection!

I think there are a few pictures over at the Padawan's Guide of it. We've discussed the hairstyle that goes with it on page 6 (or there abouts) of the hairstyles thread. Very easy hairstyle, except for finding the right pieces to cover the rubber bands.

EDIT: You're right, it will probably be easier to work off of the Captain Typho pictures. Here's the PG's page, just a few pictures from the Making of P-19 video, some from the Visual Dictionary, and two promo shots: http://www.padawansguide.com/flightsuit.shtml

3. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    hey nos and qs,
    i want to do this one too! it looks pretty comfortable too. i too have one of the helmets. i won it at the silent auction at the premier.

anyway, it would be cool to share ideas. i've been studying this costume and it looks like the pants are some kind of heavier shiny lycra/spandex. i've noticed that the top under the leather has a black collar and the sleeves are a different color.

anybody else agree?

4. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    From the moment I saw this costume, the pants reminded me of the old Burnt Orange riding breeches that were popular for hunt seat a few years ago. I used to have a pair myself, and the color, fit and thickness/texture were almost exactly the same. You can probably still find them around, and for realativly cheap. The only problem would be the suede knee patches. Padme's costume doesn't have them, but I personally think they would look cool! [face_clown]

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Nostradamus, I'm so glad you are making this costume too! I'm still in the reference collecting stage and haven't really given it a whole lot of thought yet, but I am most definitely going to attempt this one. I picked up some really nice heavy weight black vinyl to play around with for the jerkin. I don't know if my sewing skills are up to the challenge of working on real leather just yet. [face_laugh] I think the trick to wearing this costume is getting down Padme's little hip swaying strut when she wears it! :D Other than that, it looks like an incredibly comfy costume.

As far as shin guards on the boots, I'm not seeing anything like on the white battle suit. ?[face_plain] I see leather straps around the ankle areas and something on the top sides of both boots. Am I seeing things wrong?

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, not to be a pain or anything, because this is brand-new news, but Maggie (of the Padawan's guide) just asked on her front page that we all stop imbedding images from her site into threads. They use up her bandwidth and she is worried about not being able to keep the site running!

Just a heads up! [face_clown]

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, thanks Dana. I'll edit my post. :)

8. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    As for the boots, it looks like Captain Typho has the boots with the shin guards, as Padme has a simpler style of boot.

Padme also has a different style of belt.

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Sorry! I feel like a jerk for even saying anything! I just don't want to lose such an awesome site! Of course, we can still link to her pics! [face_clown]

As far as the boots, I thought Padme's look like motorcycle boots. On a quick search for boots, I found these:
    Harley
    Chippewa
    They are black, not brown, but they show the style I'm talking about. You could probably even find them on ebay!

10. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I finished up this costume today but not for anyone our size, it was for my Padme doll :)
    That is where I have been devoting my costuming time. I haven't found any more detailed pictures than the ones posted here and, like previously mentioned, Captain Typho's picture helped more if you own the visual dictionary. I concidered making this for me but since I have two other ones half started I figured I'd better stay on track with those and finish up the doll collection first.
    On the boot subject though, I agree about the no shin guards. It's just a metal buckle decoration around the ankle.
    Anxious to see Quincy in this one, make sure to keep us posted with photo's Nos!!
    Once I have all the dolls in their costumes I will post photo's and see what everyone thinks. This has been quite a challenge, especially the detail on the picnic dress and tatooine poncho!!

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks guys & gals!

I was posting and thinking early this morning, but not looking at the pics.
    After I left for work, I was looking at the V.D. again and Padme's boots are plain. It's Typho's that look like the white battle costume.
    Whew. That will be easier to deal with! I will search for some suitable boots for Quincy soon. There is a second hand & odd-ball close-out store a little ways away from here whaer there are 1,000s of odd-styled shoes & boots. (Mostly in small adult sizes) (curse my giant feet!) But there are oodles of interesting boots that Quincy can fir into. I did find her 2 pairs of the most perfect bright white patent leather boots that work for a multitude of her costumes........white battle Padme, ANH Leia....stormtrooper......and more! I bet I can find some brown ones.

They look like they have either a large tab or a half-cuff that is either just on the side, or goes from the side around the back. There is also a little strap at the instep. They seem more 'pirate-y' to me that anything. Mace Windu's EP II Jedi boots remind me more of pirate/swashbuckler boots........

Good idea on the riding pants. I don't know where I would find them. I will think about it.
    I can buy leather remnants for a lot less than vinyl in many cases. Leather and vinyl both have their own idiocyncracies in sewing and construction. Perhaps, I may luck into some interesting leather-look fabrics again too.

And Quincy certainly has enough hair to do the hair style.

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Just saw these boots in a catalog and found a pic online. They might be a bit too clunky, but they have the ankle strap and are brown.
    I did order shoes from Delia's once and they were a lot clunkier in real life than how they looked in the pic. Do these look clunky to you guys?

boots

13. Morrigan_McKnight

Morrigan_McKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Those boots are Great Obi-Dawn. I may get those for the Starfighter outfit and my Jedi outfit :)

I see a black turtle neck piece and a brown shirt. I was thinking of making a brown shirt and black dicky.

I was looking at how the jerkin is put on. The right shoulder has two layers, I think they used a velcro closure there. I know, evil velcro, I noticed in the Librarian's obi too.

Does anyone have suggestions for the armguards? On some pic's you can see a seam on the underside.

14. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    :) I just got the helmet today!

The inner shape is kind of odd. I think I will add some padding to the inside sides so it stays in place better.

Those boots look good Obi-Dawn! They are a little too big for Quincy now.......but I could get the smallest size and put some padding in there too.

Brown shirt with a black dickee is how I was planning on doing it too, but I will sew the dickie in place. Otherwise Quincy will squirm it loose.

The gauntlets. Hmmmmmmmmm. They are very sculptural. I have to decide if I want them to be hard or soft. Padded leather with piping?? .....or will I try sintra?? ....or even vacuuforming?

I have to think about it.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I have a gallery for this costume up on my website. Please don't everyone flock there at once, because it's geocities, but you may want to bookmark it for easy reference.

Mrs_MayimNaar's Gallery

How on earth are we going to replicate that belt buckle??? It's my favorite part of the whole costume, but I am absolutley clueless as to how to make it!

16. Morrigan_McKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    If you want to do Padme specificly you would have the intricate buckle, otherwise a strudy one is fine.

I was thinking Fimo and then painting it.

17. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Padme's buckle is the one I was referring to. It is so intricate and beautiful! But that's the one I can't figure out how to make.

18. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I may use an old intricate hair ornament that I have already for the time being. It's not an exact replica, but I think it will work visually.

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    That is a VERY good idea, Nos!
    I'm storing that in the mental databank in case I ever get the urge to do one of these...

-sg

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, that is a good idea. :)

I've been printing out reference photos of this costume today and poring over them. I'm wondering what you think about the shoulders of the jerkin Nostradamus. I think the right shoulder *might* have some type of closure mechanism so that it comes apart and that the left shoulder looks like a closed seam?

21. ~JAR-JAR-BINKS~

~JAR-JAR-BINKS~ Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 1999
    Great idea, Nostradamus, I haven't seen one of these costumes yet. I'd love to see pictures when you finish!
    Obi-Dawn, looking at some reference photos, I didn't see anything. That's not to say that the mechanism isn't there, it might be well hidden. If you are right, I'm sure that you could make your shoulder open/close with velcro, but I don't think that mechanism on the shoulder alone would allow you to get out of the outfit. Wouldn't it have to have a mechanism down the entire side? Just thought I'd put my two cents in =).

Jar Jar

22. Morrigan_McKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    The boots are perfect for anyone with a calf up to about 15". They measure 13" plus elastic. They are to closest I have ever found that almost fit my calves. I am going to check with a local shoe repair shop and see if they can add another elastic dart in the back of the boot. If not then I will try to sell them to a friend.

They are not really very chunky either. I think they look great. I wish I had thiner legs though :(

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Morrigan, so you actually got the boots and don't think they look clunky in real life? Woo! Hoo! Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go ahead and order them. :D

24. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    with regard to the helmet for this costume, has anyone gotten the EP1 Don Post helmet and made the necessary modifications?? how hard were they to make and what was used...

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I have not done any modifications on the helmet yet. I may just pad some foam inside of it for Quincy to wear for a while.
    I think she will probably have the helmet off more than on for a while. If I make and add the face sheild, I will make it easily removeable, because I don't think she would wear the helmet for even 2 seconds if it were at all restrictive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.