main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Fighter Pilot costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I had planned on looking for fabric for this today, but ran out of time due to too much road construction in the city.

Anyways, I did a lot of drawing for this in the past week.
    I think I figured out how to make the gauntlettes so they will be light and comfortable.

I almost bought a belt for this costume @ Marshalls today. It was a really nice smooth curved med-dark brown leather. It was $11 though. ANd I will still have to find or make pouches and the ornament for the front.
    I will probably be kicking myself very soon. Maybe that belt was perfect.

2. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I have the materials now.

I found an interesting remnant to use for the brown part of the shirt.
    I have some black ribbed knit for the collar and inset left over from an other project.
    I found a nice reddish-orange knit for the pants.
    I bought a dead-on greenish/bluish/blackish/greyish, light-weight, dark-fabric-backed vinyl for the pilot's tunic and a super-nice ultra-leather vinyl for the gauntlets and belt and accessories. I found a belt buckle thing that might work if I can't find anything better yet and I picked up some boots that both fit Quincy fairily well and work for this costume.

This costume will be number 2 on the list. I am going to make her an EPI tatooine Padme first.

3. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Today I finished the blue shirt for the Padme EP I Tatooine costume for Quincy.

I DID find that belt I saw at Marshall's two weeks ago that I thought would be perfect for the Padme EP II pilot uniform-----and it was reduced even further!!

It is a brown leather belt that is curved. It will be perfect, with a few more notches....

The pilot costume fabrics and threads and notions are sitting on the table right now.......... :)

I am psyched to start it now.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't wait to see the final result Nos! As usual, it will rule!

5. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I have everything I can think of that I need to make this costume except for the gloves.

Does anyone know a good source for gloves?

I would need a very small pair of plain medium brown thin leather gloves for Quincy.

It isn't quite hat & glove season yet here in the North country. It maybe by the end of next month and I may have some luck in the upscale department stores. I have not looked there yet.

An other friend of mine is looking for black thin leather man's gloves to complete a Blade costume.

I think I will post my inquirey as a separate thread too, because I know other people are probabaly looking to find gloves for other costumes as well.

6. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    --I finished the pilot pants for Quincy's new costume last night. I only need to size the elastic and sew that & the opening in the waist band down. I just tried them on Quincy. They fit perfect, but I am going to make elastic stirrups so they will tuck into the boots much more easily.
    The turtle neck is next.

I am bidding on some gloves that look like they will work for this.

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Nos, another way to get the pants to lay correctly under the boots is to sew a slit into the ankles of the pants and then to sew velcro into them. This makes them adjustable, and you can make them tight around the ankles, without the confinement of stirrups. This is how most riding breeches are made (I know, again with the breeches.... haha) and as you know riding breeches are worn with tight tall leather boots. Just an idea.

Also, did anyone ever land on a solid idea for how to make the gauntlets?

8. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks! That's a good idea!

9. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Pants are done. I went with stirrups, but I can change this later if nessesary.
    They look really good with the boots.
    I decided to start the gauntlettes last night.
    I am using something called "ultra-leather" which is a super soft & smooth vinyl. I quilted/sewed the main design from the back through a piece of denim. Next I am going to hand-sew ppiping cording in around the design to give the pieces that raised look. Then I am going to do a similar treatment at the top and bottom edge of each gauntlette using clothesline, so the edges will be semi-rigid, yet still flexible/shapeable. I plan to finish the closures on the under side and I will probably use velcro. Velcro might want to grab the cloth of the shirt underneath. I will see what happens when I get to that part. I will also see whether or not these need to be lined. If so, I will hand-sew that in after I have the main part of it done.

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Ultra-leather. Never heard of that before...Where do you get it? Also, is it the same material you're making the vest out of? They look very similar. Well, besides the color difference, of course.

I thought about using vinyl, but I was worried about how realistic it will look. If you don't buy the right kind, it can look really cheesy! LOL

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Vogue (in Evanston) the ultra-leather is $30 per yard. I got 1/2 yard. I noticed as I was sewing it, if I pierce the surface and I do not pull the needle through, IT DOES NOT leave a hole! Really.
    I also prefer using leather, but this stuff is great!!
    The other vinyl I found was an other fine vinyl that was $15 per yard. I don't think it will have the same 'dissapearing hole' property, but I think I will use some of the same techniques I am using on the gauntlets for the raised edge on the vest/tunic.

Vogue should have an on-line store, but I doubt everything they have available in the store will ever be available on line.
    Many of the fabrics they sell are seasonal designer bolts and samples. I NEVER know what I will find. The selection changes so frequently.

12. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I got a lot of one of the gauntlets sewn yesterday. I am thinking about using featherweight boning along the inside center of each gauntlet to give them even more shape.

I just measured Quincy for the shirt and the vest/tunic this morning.

We are going to be doing some driving today and tomorrow. I want to have a lot of things ready to work on.

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    pics, Nos! We must have pics!

I am so curious to see your progress on this costume, since it's on my list of eventual to-do's!

14. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I made a lot of progress on this costume today.
    I finished the gauntlets and shirt today.
    I have the inside of the helmet padded out so it is soft and stays on your head.
    I re-painted the belt buckle ornament. I got started on the first row of piping on the vest. I ran out of piping cording. I will see whether or not I want to try to put a second row of piping around it. It is starting to look pretty good with just one row. I am still waiting for those gloves I won on ebay.
    I probably won't have this done by this weekend's events, but Quincy will be wearing this at DragonCon.

15. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Sounds impressive. I'll make sure to look for her at DragonCon. :)

16. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    What/when/where is Dragon Con??

BTW, Nostradamus, you're working on full tutorials, right??? My main question is how you're doing all the metal pieces. What is required to sculpt/mold them??

-sky

17. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I just finished the vest for Quincy's pilot costume tonight! I had just
    barely enough piping cord to make it around the perimeter of both front and
    back pieces twice. I need to try it on her again to see if I need to adjust
    the Velcro. I put Velcro on both shoulders and also both sides. I think it will be a lot more adjustable that way.

Otherwise, except for those gloves I am waiting for, it is
    ready for her to wear.

The only metal I have on it is the belt buckle ornament that I found as a strange ready-made belt buckle. It is not SW EP II VD-accurrate, but it will suffice until I find or make something closer to the original piece. Once this whole outfit is put together, it will look appropriate.

We have an event this weekend, but I watched the weather forcast again tonight and the forcast for Friday is hot (near 90). This is a turtle neck costume with long sleeves, leather boots, vinyl gauntlets and vinyl vest, a leather belt and a now-padded helmet (and gloves)
    It's not really what I would consider a 'cool' costume.
    She might have to wear her Padme EP II battle costume, because it is an out door event. I will try to get some pictures of her in the pilot costume soon.

18. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    It's done and I have some quick pictures!

I will try to put one on my free site sometime soon.

19. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
  20. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    As always, a spectacular job. Quincy looks so cute! :)

21. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Nostradamus--where did you find the helmet? It doesn't look like the helmet Padme wears, but you mentioned keeping it that way for Quincy's sake.

-sky

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks for the nice compliments! :)

It is a Don Post EP I collector's series helmet that I padded out so Quincy can wear it on her head.
    Maybe someday I might add the visor and face shield. I have an idea how I could do that, but for now, she will have to wear it like this. She is not too big on having her face covered with a mask/helmet. She can do it for about 5 minutes and then she gets too antsy to leave it on.

23. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Nos great job!! Is that Quincy's own hair or extensions?

I had an idea for how to do the helmet and make it realatively accurate...

I am going to buy an old motorcycle helmet and cover it with leather/vinyl pieces and piping. Then add pieces of sculpted foam or something like that to the sides and the front. Does that make sense?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is use the helmet as a base and then add things to it to make it look right.

Do you guys think this would work?

24. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Very cute, Nos! Those boots were a fabulous find.

-sg

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    ....the gloves came inthe mail today---they are perfect!
    Quincy wants to wear this to an event tomorrow night.

Yes, that is her own hair! We need to get a big pack of hairbands tomorrow too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.