Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    No! Don't take the smocking discussion to PMs! (Pretty please!)
    I'm learning stuff...
    plus, it will be good for other people interested in this costume in the future to have your wealth of knowledge readily available and recorded, FERD!

-sg
  2. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    AHA! I understand EXACTLY what you are talking about FERD!!!
    YAHOO!
    I think I have figured out a way to do this combining the way I do gathered panels, and how you smock children's dresses, since this is a whole ensemble of pattern pieces to make the robe, and not a rectangular bodice shape...
    I could make boards the size of the pieces I need, including seam allowance-blow the pattern pieces up on the overhead projecter to a larger size, but the same shape...and smock them down to the size of the boards-but leave a marked seam allowance all around the pieces that is unsmocked, where the threads are tied off.
    This way I can be sure of the pattern pieces fitting together, without having to worry about any stitches coming undone by smocking such irregular shapes as awhole then cutting. Do you think this modified way of doing it will work?
    I have also noticed the smocking looks like it is done at a bit of a diagonal angle, rather then side to side, giving it a more bias looking drape and more of a diamond pattern...it makes it look so much different than the children's dresses-very beautiful.
    I am going to have to try to make this one now...
    please let me finish current projects SOON so I can start!
    Now I just have to check out that smocking site a little bit more for some actual instructions on technique.
  3. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    First of all I apologize in advance for my bad spelling--I'm working off a dying monitor and can barely read :)
    OK SG! I'll keep blabbering on here! Just didn't want to bore anyone.
    QS- That sounds like you're on the perfect track! For a smocking board you can use a regular cork board and then cut out your pattern pieces out of interfacing or something-put them ontop of your fabric and pin into the board. The site I gave you has a lot of great patterns and refrences--but one of the best books for beginning smockers is "The Joy of Smocking" by Martha Pullen.
    The diamond style technique does seem to be done on the diagonal and looks really cool--I believe this variation of smocking is sometimes called COUNTERCHANGE--you web savy people might be able to find a cool site with How-To instructions instead of a book. Personally I learn well off of pictures.
    QS- you're sooooooo Brave tackling all these big projects!! I know it will be so rewarding once it's done--a true masterpiece!!!!
    FERD :)
  4. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    Padme's clothing is amazing. Beautiful and art work.
    I like her velet stuff. But I'm torn which dress I'd make for actual wearing for a black tie thing.<G> I'm sure some of the simple elegant stuff cna be altered a tad. It diffentaly gives me ideas.
    I love sewing. Since I'm too stinking short to actually buy stuff off the rack as is, I'm forced to sew. That's ok, I learn LOADS on how clothing is put together.

Even rebuilt a regular button down colorless shirt into a Jedi under tunic w/ GI stlye ties to keep it on. Can't even tell it was a button down collarless shirt to begin with. According to a friend who in her younger years was a seamstress the shirt looks as if it were already made that way.

It seems all the coolest materials cost an arm and leg.:-(

Padawan Mynn
  5. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you for all the info on smocking, Ferd! Very informative! Your depth of sewing knowledge is blowing my meager skills away. Please continue to share so we may all learn!

Many of you keep saying velvet for the robe. I really don't think that's what this is. Can you imagine wearing 25 yards of velvet? It would weigh a ton! Also, Anthony fingered the robe on stage and made a comment about the richness of the texture, but that it came from the smocking more than the fabric itself.

But, then again, maybe my concept of velvet is limited. Are there different weights and pile depths of velvet? I was thinking something more along the lines of a velour might be closer in weight and flow than typical velvet.

My take on the trim is that it's a metallic gold geometric design with cut-outs that allow the blue underneath to show through. That seems like the easiest part of the robe to do. ;) The smocking is still pretty daunting!

Regards,
    M.
  6. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty sure it is velvet. I think Trisha even made the statement that the robe was made out of 25 yards of handsmocked velvet. Does anyone know for sure?
  7. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks Mirax--I'm glad I can help everybody :)
    I agree with you about the velvet--I used to have to re-wrap yards of velvet when we got it in stock at a shop where I used to work--It would take 2 of us and about break our arms. HEAVY stuff!!! There are different weights of velvet of course and it could be a velveteen or panne' ??? Don't know-just going by what I think I know--it looks like the texture and richness of velvet, and the sheen it gives off is like velvet. I know when you smock fabric it literally absorbs fabric--so something that usually may take 5 yards can easily take 20 if it's being smocked. Also--it may be a really narrow fabric such as 36" wide or something-so 25 yards of it may not be quite as much as we think. I think whatever fabric it is --that robe has got to be heavy!!!
    P.S> Size 8 Darners are great to use for hand smocking, also if you plan to use DMC or YLI floss I would highly recommend Thread Heaven to help your floss glide thru the fabric as you smock.
    Take care Ya'll!! ---:)FERD
  8. blueeyes_and_a_smile Jedi Padawan

ok, i have the book i was talking about. if anyones interested, its called 'Caroline Wrey's Finishing Touches' ISBN 1-85585-722-7

here's the bit on smocking (ive edited out the bits on curtains)

thread your needle with embroidery thread. working from left to right across the fabric, pinch two pleats together. bring the needle to the front, just to the left of the pleats, then pass it through the pleats from right to left.* passing the needle along the back of the fabric repeat on each subsequent pair of pleats.

after that, it says to skip a row and do the next row exactly aligned with the first row. this is repeated down the whole of the fabric. then, go back to the top and where rows have been missed out, take alternate pleats from rows 1 and 3 and smock these. this creates diamond shaped pleats in the fabric, thus creating a geometrical pattern.

as for embriodery afterwards, i can't even see any on the pictures so if anyone was at the CII demonstrations, please tell

*the curtain itself had covered buttons added here so i think that maybe you would have to go over the stitch twice so that its secure.

the book also said that you need twice the width material of the thing you're going to smock.

i apologise for yet another incredibly long reply

rebecca xx
  9. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Me again :) For those of you who are attempting this gown, but have never smocked-here's a teaching tool. If you get an air filter for your house, not the blue ones, but one with the accordian pleats-this is a great way to magnify the pleats and practice perfecting your stitches before jumping onto your expensive fabric. Turn the filter so the pleats run vertical. Take yarn or floss (yarn you can see better) and run pieces thru the middle of the pleats to form the holding rows--space them about 4 inches apart. Then you begin to "smock" it. To smock you use stripped floss. Usually 3 strands, but can use 4 for a thicker look. Thread the needle and knot the end. Smocking is based around a simple "cable" stitch. To do one you bring the needle in from the back right above the holding row and in the valley to the left of the pleat your beginning with. You work from left to right and take the thread over the pleat you came in to the left over and then pointing the needle to the left grab just the top of the second pleat and pull the thread. Not too tight, tension is the most important things. Don't squeeze the two pleats, but don't let the floss sag either. You do a chain of cable going from an up cable to a down cable and so on. Always covering 2 pleats, but only stitching into one pleat. Make sense??
    You only go through the back of the fabric when you come in and when you go out and tie off. You form diamonds and such by waving up with cables and taking steps up and down. The embroidery IS the smocking stitches. Some people smock pearls or beads into the work for some added glitz.

Sorry I'm so wordy--just trying to be helpful :) :) FERD
  10. blueeyes_and_a_smile Jedi Padawan

on the silk dress underneath, i first thought that the embroidered shapes were flowers, but after seeing the movie again, i now think they're snowflakes in purple, pink and blue. what are they and how do you make them on the finished dress?

rebecca xx
  11. Antigone_Maroon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello all!
    I'm Vicki and I'm new to this thread (although I have been watching it for some time). I know the dress doesn't look too hard to make and lots of you have probably already made the decision to make your own but I just thought that some of you might want to know that there is in fact a rather similar dress available in the Classic Collection in Debenhams. It's linen not silk and has a laced trim around the neckline (or should I say chestline) rather than the flower or snowflake embroidery. It's on sale at the moment- reduced from £40 to £20 and comes in sizes 8 or 10 to 20. I tried one on today and I warn you, it probably needs to be accompanied by a strapless or thin strapped bra and petty coat.
  12. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    anybody currently working on this ensemble? It's way too pretty to be lost on page 8!!!!
    :) Ferd
  13. Catatonic-Van Jedi Padawan

::migrated over from the gold gown thread:: I just started working on the robe the other day ^_^ I'm not hand smocking the fabric though.. Instead I'm embossing the velvet (which is how it is on the dark blue senate dress) but very intricately. I chose a very detailed vine and leaf design, so now all I have to do is finish the embossing. At this point I have about a square foot of the 5 yards I bought completed. When the velvet is all done I'm going to draw the fabric together, then cut into pieces and sew it. Of course, upon typing that all out it's quicker said then done. I hope to have the robe done for Katsucon in February!

The gown I used crepe back satin which I stained the designs into with watered down fabric paint.

-Van
  14. Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, I can't believe that someone is finally making this gorgeous ensemble - You MUST keep us updated on your progress. And remember, EVERYONE LOVES picture-updates. ;)

Good luck!
  15. Catatonic-Van Jedi Padawan

While looking at pictures today I made a very startling discovery. If you look at this pic...

http://www.members.aol.com/grenciamars/nightgown.jpg

you can see there is an extra layer to the gown! ::dies:: I'm thinking it's some sort of black lace, embroidered chiffon, or maybe a knit. It makes sense though, the smocking just shouldn't give the fabric that much light and dark contrast which is clearly seen in this pic

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/padme_nightdress_new1.jpg

So! I think this would give people more of an opportunity to do the night gown. If you didn't want to smock it or emboss it, you could simply buy the velvet (or hey, there's this great navy/royal blue suede cloth at Joanns that could double as velvet or velveteen because of it's sheen) and lay the lace over it. You wouldn't have to buy as much fabric (smocking takes a lot after all) either.

Hope this helps ya all.

-Van
  16. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    hmmm...I don't see it...

It looks like the sleeve on the other side of the border/trim to me.

Can you find another picture that shows what you're seeing more clearly?
  17. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd have to agree with Mrs Mayimnarr about it being the trim on the other sleeve that you're seeing. As for the play of light and dark, a lot of that has to do with the material Trisha used, and the lighting for that scene.
  18. Catatonic-Van Jedi Padawan

hmm that would make more sense wouldn't it ::rubs the back of her head, perplexed:: I really do think too hard sometimes ^_^;

OH well, saves me money.

-Van
  19. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hello :)
    I am almost done with my Padme doll's White Tatooine gown...and then I have to re-make a new Blue Tatooine dress for my own Padme...
    BUT - I went to a Fabric store and at my huge surprise I found a fabric that looks EXACLTY like the fabric used for the Blue Robe...
    I of course bought it to do the Nightgown for my Padme doll. the kind of "pleats"(or call that however you like) on the fabric are enough big to make a very accurate version for a doll...but way too small for a human size...that will be just PERFECT for my doll :) Although it looks a little more Dark blue than Royal blue...but I suppose it is because it is night here so when I look at it it looks more black than anything else -LOL - I wouldn't have bougth it if it would have been of a too wrong color !

I will post picture of my Project once my other project is done... but I already have a clear idea of how to sew the robe...just a little problem figuring out how to make the underdress though but that will be fine :)
  20. CrimsonVision Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hello?

Fabric Store name and fabric name?!?

;)
  21. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I in the french Province of Canada...it is impossible you can find a store like that where you are :):):)

the lady said it was Blue Lyrca....it has Tons and tons of pleats...it really looks like velvet.....although...it looks very dark by some lights...and more navy/purple than royal blue...but still perfect for my doll :)
  22. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I finished this gown tonight :):) the dress and robe is on my doll right now and it looks very lovely :) I even painted the desings on the underdress :)
  23. rvqavalon Jedi Knight

star 2
    Must see!! *gigglebounce*
  24. Jayne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, I have kinda an idea on the blue robe. Y'all tell me what ya think, 'cause I've got 35 yards of blue satin (very matte-ish, not very shiny) that's been sitting around for a year since a cancelled wedding and I decided it would be perfect for this project. For the smocking (all machine, I'm not insane enough to do it by hand right now) I plan on running a long stitch in the fabric every 1 1/2 inches and using it to gather the fabric, then, while the gathering stitches are holding, sew diamonds onto the fabric in a tiny stitch. Lets see if I can illustrate this . . .

--------------------------
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What do y'all think?
  25. Julia_aka_JJ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ooh, dudes go check out the Padawan's Guide, there's a new shot of the nightgown/robe. I love it's shade of blue!

DVD Shot

by the by - I've been having problems with my active topic notification. I haven't gotten a single e-mail since last August notifying me of use in my checked off threads. I changed my e-mail a while back, but it is written correctly, I just have not gotten the Confirmation Email that checks to see that the e-mail is valid. How do I get this e-mail?
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.