Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    [image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/night1.jpg]

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/night2.jpg]

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/night3.jpg]

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/night4.jpg]

[image=http://membres.lycos.fr/padmeskywalker/night5.jpg]

I still have about 1 meter of that fabric, and won't do anything with it..but the detaisl are not enoguh big to do a human size reproduction of that gown...and anyways, there's not enough to do a night gown for a human LOL..maybe someone will be interested in the fabric anyways ? PM me.
  2. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    A question about color:
    The robe appears to be a darker kinda blue--almost navy in the movie--but in the web documentary p-19 you can see it on the rack and it looks royal blue. Also the padawans guide just posted a pic of it from CII and it looks like a bright blue. I undertand that the smocking and runching and such alter the shade with shadows and such--but overall what is the original color would you say?
  3. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh geez, you guys have me wanting to make this costume again... ;)

EDIT: Ooooh, found a picture at Padawans Guide (geez I love that site):

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/celebration_costumes1.jpg]
  4. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sweetie, Maggie's asked us before to not directly link to images like that. It's okay to post the address of the picture, but not use the image link function. It eats up her bandwidth.

And yes, that is a great picture of the three costumes.
  5. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, okay, sorry. I never saw that message. Here's the URL:

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/celebration_costumes1.jpg

Yes, nice picture.

P.S. Please don't call me sweetie.
  6. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    It was on a different thread, a few months ago. And sorry, I seem to be in a very Southern mood today....
  7. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
  8. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey! Ya'll don't make fun of southerners--we talk just fine--just s-l-o-w! hee hee LOL! :)

Any opinions on color? Thanks! Ferd :)
  9. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL -- Trish has sure thrown us all for a loop on the color issues with her costumes!

I, personally, believe it is probably a dark royal blue. I know it looks purple in the movie, but she is also in darker lighting in the movie, you know? Kind of in shadows.

I don't know, I could defiantly be wrong, but this is just my thought.

I'm of the blue persuasion on this one!
  10. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ah, it's just like the Tatooine midriff costume...but let's not bring that up in another thread... :) I personally believe it is a dark blue, it just looks purple in the shadows. Many of the costumes in this movie look different in the shadows. I have to say it's these darn pictures that are throwing us off! If you watch the movie, you can tell what the colors are for sure, but pictures are harder to tell (I think).
  11. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    What I saw in Indy looked deep, deep blue.
  12. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi,

This topic seems very quiet too - so I thought I'd ask if anyone's done this costume who was working on it! Just trying to do some updates to the Padme pages.

I'm glad my website's been useful!

And thanks for keeping the hotlinking down - I'm having less bandwidth issues than I was at the time when the movie came out (the week of the movie, the site ate up 15 GB of bandwidth! - and the week before and the week after 10 GB a week!). It's much more manageable now - so it you want link to images within the Jedi council forums, that's fine by me. Whole websites or personal icons is another issue!

Anyway - Ferd - any further thoughts on the type of smocking used on Padme's robe? I know you were thinking about it again recently...

Maggie
  13. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Here's another thought about the robe and whether or not it is ruched or smocked.

The "Grima Wormtongue" costume from The Two Towers had ruched velvet on the color. There are some really good pictures of it from an exhibit - it might be an interesting comparison to the Padme robe.

Here is the link with the pictures:

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Human/Wormtongue.htm

Maggie
  14. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok - after much intensive thought, Ferd and I came to a conclusion on the smocking/ruching issue. Basically, we were discussing it and I found a pretty good closeup shot, and I was able to enhance part of the robe with photoshop.

this pic

I sent it to Ferd, and instantly she came up with lattice smocking, also called North American or Canadian smocking.

They used this type of smocking in Elizabeth's costume from Shakespeare in Love : here.

I think Ferd is right! She put together some "how to's" on it that I just posted on my site. Just wanted to share since I've already gotten two emails about it!

Someone sent me this pic of the smocking, but I'm not sure where they got it:

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/lattice.jpg

Check out:
    this page
    for Ferd's how to and for pics and stuff.

Maggie
  15. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Fabulous deduction, guys! Man, that must have taken forever to stitch!!!

It sounds so cool, though. If I ever decided to attempt this, I would make a nifty lattice smocked velvet pillow or something first, just to get the hang of it, and to understand the mass amounts of yardage involved. I'll have to give it a go sometime, just 'cause it's such an interesting technique! :)
  16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Great info guys! The lattice smocking is so pretty. I hope someone does try this!

That's also a great pic of her shoes on your site Maggie. :)
  17. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    The person who sent me the lattice pic says it's not Padme's night gown, but just an example of lattice smocking. It definitely looks like her robe though - so that's got to be the correct technique!

Maggie
  18. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah! The mystery is finally solved :) Whew!
    Now, the hard part...actually doing it!
    I was playing around a bit with the technique to familiarize myself with it--and indeed--it is VERY time consuming. The hardest part is marking the fabric in a manner that will not rub off, fade or be difficult to see as you tackle the difficulty of numerous hand stitches. I played around with a scrap piece of velvet so I marked the dots using a fine point sharpie (*gasp*) but honestly the tiny dots did not show in the final finished piece and I could see them well as I smocked.

For those of you who want to tackle this project but fear the cost of that much velvet--Fear Not! I have a great source for velvet at $6.00 a yard! Nice Royal blue 45" wide. Not the highest quality velvet on the market, but with a nice weight, and flawless. PM if you want more info :)

Thanks Maggie for the great pics (as always) You and I make a great Nancy Drew! ;)

~~Ferd
  19. Jayne Jedi Knight

star 2
    So are we sure the dress is velvet? I'm going on with my satin version, just because it was cheaper and it's already bought, but I thought I'd start up the debate anyway. If it's velvet, I think it's gotta be a very short nap, because the gown doesn't have a lot of stiffness and texture usually associated with poly velvet. Could be Rayon / Silk though. Opinions?
  20. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jayne As far as I have heard (please correct me if I am wrong) that it was said at C2 when Trisha spoke that this robe is indeed made of 25+ yards of Velvet.

My .02 on the content of the velvet used. I played around with some velvet to familiarize myself with this technique--and it is an acetate velvet. I am planning on doing my version out of rayon velvet. It has a decent nap, but not as short as a velveteen.To get the "Lattice" pattern to turn out correct the material must have a decent body to it to hold the pattern once smocked. It is recommended that this technique only be used on stiffer, full bodied materials. I have a picture of it done on a poly blend and the end result is quite different.

I am using a silk velvet right now for another project (Titanic :) ) and at first I wished that was the material I had bought to do this robe with, but after practicing the stitch IMHO I feel silk velvet is much to "flowy" and not stiff enough to look right in the end. Again, just my .02.

~Ferd :)
  21. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    As my summer project, now that I am out of school, I'm *crosses fingers* hopefully going to be making this robe for celebration 3. *shrugs* I plan ahead. Anyway, I have never in my life done smocking. For those who have tried this type out, how hard is it? I'm still doing it, but I'd like to get a time estimate going, and about how much fabric it eats up. Thanks!
    Laura
    PS-my pastel lake gown pics are up on the padawans guide. hehe.
  22. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Ferd-as far as color goes, when I saw it at CII-it looked to me like the velvet in the robe had sort of the color variation like some popular automobile paint does...where it sortof changes color in shadow/light/direction of the nap. When I saw it it looked like the exact color of my husband's electric guitar-which when we bought it was called "electric blue"-or sort of a royal blue (not navy blue-way too dark) and a indigo-violet...(like a royal blue mixed with classic purple)
    The smocking/ruching or what have you really brings out the two color tones in the fabric, by creating lots of places for shadowing and lighting to make a really dramatic effect.
    I think if plain royal blue velvet is used, the color variation effect could be achieved by using indigo/violet thread to do the smocking, and from a distance it would give the effect of both colors-just an idea.
    QS
  23. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    QS Hey there! I know exactly the velvet you are meaning- like a cross dye velvet where the nap is one color and the cross fibers are a different color--I'm sure that ideally it would work best for this costume--but it is not cheap stuff! With this costume requiring SO much yardage I will probably stick with a solid color velvet. The lattice smocking technique draws the fabric from different areas and thus will give a nice mix of shadows from the play on the nap. The lattice smocking is done on the back of the material with just a tiny amount of thread showing through to the right side of the material so an irredescent thread would add some different colors--but not much. I've even entertained the idea of smocking in some blue/black irredescent beads to add a bit of color. I love those two tone paints nowadays :)

I am working with a royal blue velvet for another project right now. I wanted it to have a more Midnight Blue type appearance so I mixed navy and purple dyes together and dyed the velvet. The combination of dye colors on top of the royal blue created a pretty shade--which I think would also work well for this robe. The fabric appears different colors in different light.

The only advice I can give to New smockers is first of all this technique is not traditional smocking --if you look for a book or online tips make sure you refer to it as Canadian/North American or Lattice Smocking. It is VERY different from traditonal smocking. I cannot recommend thread heaven enough. Always strip your floss--use 3 threads. Richard Hemming needles are some of the best and I would use a 7 or 8 darner.

Ferd :)
  24. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Of course that velvet would be outrageous...but then again, GL doesn't have to settle for second best now does he? hee hee hee hee
    Oh, and Ferd-this is totally off topic, but seeing your signature just now reminded me of some of our old talks and my husband Memorial Day weekend...he walks up to me with a slice of watermelon, jokingly spitting the seeds into his fist, and says "We like to send out a mailer." I about lost it...
    Back on topic now...carry on!
    QS
  25. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    QS LOL! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Off topic...
    "Yeah, but daddy says I'm the best"
    "Real tomato ketchup Eddie?"
    "The moose out front should've told you"
    "Ask them if they know the Commodores"
    "Eddie says after the baby comes I can quit one of my night jobs"

Ahhhh Summer! :) ~~~Ferd