main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Your dolls look absolutely beautiful Spitsweet! Great job on the costumes!

Wow!

2. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Boy, that costume really did turn out well, Anthony! Very nice!

Maggie

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    There's a new Simplicity Pattern out that would work wonderfully for this dress. Simplicity 5187 is supposed to be an evening dress, but I think it looks almost exactly like the nightgown. ((Sorry, no pic online yet)) My first impression is to use view C and cut all the pieces on the bias instead of on the grain like the pattern calls for. I bought this pattern, so I'm gonna play around with it a bit and I'll let you know how well it works.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I finally understands what the smocking is about. I found a top in a store which is using exactly the kind of smocking that is used in the robe, I think I stood there for a really long time and studied the inside of it. Unfortunately the top was way to expensive, and something that I would never wear so I couldn't buy it.

5. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    For the hair would you just pull back some hair and pin it at the back?

6. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Alright I'm finally making the dress, I was looking at on eof the pics and I noticed another layer over the dress. I can't tell if I'm right or not, but is there two layers to the dress? Thanx! :)

7. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    I always thought the dress looked like it had a printed Charmeuse base and an overlayer of heavy chiffon. Was it put out that it was only one layer?

8. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    If you watch the movie again, you can see something like another layer when she walks out of her room. I'm guessing that if there is another layer, than the top one is to be sheer and the bottom layer solid.

9. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Bumping after unlock request.

10. joelle

joelle Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2004
    hey, after seeing what someone said about there being another layer to the dress i went over to padawans guide to see if there was a picture (thank you maggie for your wonderful site yet again!) and found this picture:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/padme_nightdress_new4.jpg
    look at her feet!

11. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Thank you surlygirlie!
    I found a knit stitch called woven cables in relief that looks really close to lattice smocking. Couldn't find a pic of it online but I'm starting on a swatch so I'll post it once its done. I've also started to look for yarn with the right shade of blue. Chenille would give it a similar texture to velvet but it is notoriously hard to work with and rather expensive. So it'll probably be knitted in wool with a shiny yarn together to give it a slight sheen.
    There are several reasons I've decided to knit it instead of smocking velvet:
    1. I'm actually going to use the garment for everyday so I didn't want to have to worry about crushing the velvet while wearing and storing.
    2. I don't have to worry about how much smocking would shrink the velvet pieces because I would be creating the fabric as I go along.
    3. The work would be portable so I can take it with me everywhere to work on.

I do need some help on figuring out what the pattern pieces should look like so the amount of yarn needed can be calculated. Also, how would I go about making the tassel? I've done beaded necklaces before but that looks a lot more complicated. In the hi-res images, you could just barely see part of it for color reference and Maggie has a pic of the back of the robe on her site.

12. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    I definately think you are right Joelle! I am making this costume for CIII, and I will have the night dress layered with a chiffon and light satin.

Wraith - definately post pics of your progress! I am intrigued.

:)

ecila

13. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Will do, ecila!
    I'm about halfway done with the swatch. When the bro gets home, I'll ask if he could take a pic. I have to amend my previous post, though. The cables do shrink the fabric because it creates twists.
    Has anyone else made any progress on this costume? From the images I've seen, it looks like the robe tapers toward the bottom. Is it from the way the robe drapes or is it really how its shaped?

wraith13

14. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Pics of the test swatch is up here.

wraith13

15. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Wraith Very creative approach to use knitting to make the lattice stitch :) Your robe will look very nice, and be more wearable than pesky velvet.

That stitch looks very similar to the original one. Can't wait to see your finished project. :)

Here's my test scrap of Lattice smocking on a stiff taffeta with a square grid interfacing to help mark the points (BIG time saver on this project--Of course you can't fuse it to velvet :( ) There's also a picture of the back of the project so you can see how many stitches are used to give this effect. My hand is in the picture to show scale--and keep in mind this one piece was about 3/4 of a yard--You can see how much it shrunk down, and how this robe could EASILY require 25 yards of velvet--Eeeek!!!

[image=http://www.ferdalump.com/latticesmocking.jpg]

[image=http://www.ferdalump.com/latticesmockingb.jpg]

~Ferd :)

16. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Wow - Great pictures, Wraith and Ferd! thank you both for posting! I read the lattic smocking instructions on the Padawan's Guide, and I found them extremely helpful. Since I can not knit and I am a glutton for punishment, I think I am going to try the smocking method on velvet. :)
    ecila

17. wraith13

Sep 20, 2002
    Wow, Ferd! Amazing work! How long did it take you to do all that? Also, how is the scale on your test scrap compared to mine? I got three rows in a 4.5X4.5" swatch.
    Can't wait to see your progress pics Ecila :) .

wraith13

18. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Ferd, that smocking is beautiful :D

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Beautiful work, both Ferd and wraith!
    I think I might not have the patience for smocking, and my knitting attention span seems to only be long enough for scarves. :p

I can't imagine the sheer WEIGHT of a fully smocked garment, especially something full length and roomy like a robe.

20. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Surlygirl - that is exactly what I was wondering! The weight!?!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a light weight velvet? I have a sample of silk velvet from Dharma that seems very light, but the task of dye-ing that much velvet is pretty daunting.

ecila

21. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Silk velvet is very light and flowy. I would think it'd be hard to get that color of blue by dyeing it yourself. I did some tests with navy dye (and black) and got a very purply color. Anyhow - syfabrics has a navy silk velvet for ~$10 a yard that looks like it'd be the perfect color for this..

http://www.syfabrics.com/mojocart/dispproduct.cfm?prod_id=515

22. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
  23. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Beautiful smocking Ferd!

24. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Thank you for the links, Maggie! :) Now I understand what I was doing wrong with the smocking. Yay!

ecila

25. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Woohoo - I did a smocking trial run on a piece of velvet, and it looks so gorgeous! I know this is going to be tedious, but I just love how luxurious the velvet looks gathered. :) I ordered some swatches from Sy Fabrics, so hopefully I will have the fabric picked out and ordered soon. I am going to do another trial run next on a larger piece, and I will post pictures and dimension changes then.

ecila

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.